/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles
>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf
>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf
>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
Previously, on /5eg/...
The trap that worked as intended.
magically age the paladin of ancient.

Other urls found in this thread:

orcpub2.com/
pastebin.com/vnFA0pVD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>dude I'm the bard, I'm basically the face of the party

Bard job is to be announcer, not the face.

Does anyone know the site that has the latest SpellViewer on it? The one I currently have throws an error whenever I try to make a spell, so I'm hoping a new version has come out in the meantime that fixed that.

Could you elaborate? I don't see it.

>Your entire party falls unconcious after drinking in a seedy tavern
>Come around inside some kind of maze
>It's made of crystal
>There's a creepy-looking sorcerer dude capering around you with a crystal-topped cane
Picture very much related
>He gleefully leads you to various different puzzles that must be solved for mysterious Time Crystals
>The only way you are allowed to leave his pocket dimension is by collecting enough gold tokens in the Crystal Dome
>Killing the sorcerer results only in the loss of a Time Crystal as he is tied to the very fabric of the dimension
Should I run this?

That is a fucking cool image OP.

Absolutely, it'd be hilarious. The only thing stopping me from stealing it is the fact that I don't think I could quite pull off O'Brien's particular style of sardonic banter, which is what made the original show so great.

getting a sense of having too little player agency. It holds no plot incentives for the characters and feels a bit too much like a red herring. If your party is murderhobos, then go for it. But it honestly feels like a one shot then anything else.

If you really want to run it though, you can let the party discover it instead of having no choice but to be teleported there.

Friend is running a one night adventure this weekend, characters are level 5. Looking to play a half-orc rocker bardbarian(2 barb/3 bard).
Probably going to use a greatsword and was looking for a passable stat line, was thinking 15-14-14-8-9-15(ASI in str and cha), thoughts?
Was thinking scale mail or breastplate over unarmored defense if that helps.

Charisma base class want to be the face of party. user don't like the bard that want to be the face of the party just because of his class and I suggest an alternative role that function similarly.
Are they still stuck after killing him?

>HFW the Warlock needs yet another short rest

Nobody escapes the Maze!
Good point actually, it would be better if they walked in under their own free will

Rate my shitty homebrew, which becomes less of a dumpster fire with every revision
>inb4 play Genassi
>inb4 all homebrew is trash
Also
>suggestions on spell choices or some homebrew ones that would be fun

Thanks for the insightful reply.

Ass of the party, more like.

the pyromancer ribbon reads like it has hot climate resistance AND cold climate resistance.

Other than that though this seems like you're reworking/refluffing genasi spellcasting (i know) to be useful in combat rather than just being fluffy. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing

Anyone has a link to Xanathar's guide pdf?

Not out yet

early release is like the 10th, right? i can only pray some fa/tg/uy immediately scans it all

>Join a game
>level 8
>Group is currently taking down some criminal organisation that runs the city
>Manage to do it after about 5 sessions
>We find a one use magic item that grants advantage on a skill check and 15g in jewellery + mundane gear the enemies were using
>No hints towards if there is some sort of bigger stash anywhere and after looking everywhere for hidden stuff with True Seeing and spending an hour in game searching the place we find nothing
Well that felt worth it

You still got that table?

>Ask my DM is I can get a belt made for my Level 5 Goliath Fighter
>Its a leather belt that about 4x wider than a normal belt, the bottom of the belt is sown to the top (Essentially like folding a sheet of paper in half) to make a pouch.
>Wrapped around the inside of the belt is 35ft of rope
>On one end of the rope is a simple clip to attach it to things
>The other end of the rope is attached to a mechanism that allows me to coil the rope back in

Usage:
>Attach the rope to my thrown weapon (+2 Javelin)
>Throw it like normal, it now has a strict 30ft range
>As an extra action I can coil the rope back in my belt

I ask this in a city with very good blacksmiths and leatherworkers. I have as much gold as I need, and all the materials (With extra for spoilage) and close to 500gp

Get told a flat NO. After the session talk to him and he claims it would be too powerful. I even go so far as to offer to make it require attunement

This is the same guy who gave me a Greatsword of Warning at level 3

Oh shit that's why I couldnt find it

>orcpub2.com/

Has a subclass, race, subrace, spell, and background builder now!

I can kind of see where he's coming from in regards to how powerful it is. You could scale sheer cliff faces, use it as a makeshift grappling hook, pull enemies who you hit with it closer to you, etc. He's still an idiot for giving you the Greatsword, but in this case it's understandable.

wtf goliath tow-truck sounds rad
That would be completely reasonable at lvl 5 when wizards are casting levitate on shit.

Shit I don't even think either of us thought of that, the way I imagined it was that the Jav would come out and back to me.

IMO a Javelin isn't strong enough to pull something any distance (The head would snap), and no fucking Golaith is climbing shit with a wooden stick

So do Aasimar look like Elves or what? I'm always confused by these fuckers.

I'm trying to write a story about an Aasmiar that comes from the union of a male Human and a female Celestial, but i'm not having an easy go of it.

>Scale things

>With a javelin

Lmao you nerd you can't do that

Aasimar look like holier that thou humans, they're to angels and """holy""" things what tieflings are to demons

If you have enough feats, it does. Paladins should take PAM (PAM+GWM is okay before level 11 or if oathbreaker 7), barbarians should take PAM and GWM (But need PAM more), fighters should take GWM+PAM (Rely more on GWM than the others)

However, CBE+SS does almost as much damage and is combined with archery for +2 to hit, and being able to use it anywhere between 5ft and 120ft without issue is a massive boon. Why use GWM+PAM when you can use CBE+SS other than if your team has melee synergy such as wolf barbarian or if your class prefers melee weapons (barbarian/paladin)? You might use it for sentinel, I guess.

Aasimar and tieflings only come from a few generations down the line. The child of a celestial/fiendish being is a half celestial/fiend

I'm just saying, the potential for abuse is there. If your DM didn't think of any of that then not giving it to you sounds like a knee-jerk reaction against having to do more work.
>be Goliath
>also be Fighter
>throw javelin really hard
>partially because Goliath and partially because Fighter
>javelin sticks into wall
>tug on rope and climb up to it

That's hardly powerful, and your DM sounds like a 'YOU'RE A MARTIAL MARTIALS CAN ONLY DO MUNDANE THINGS WTF oh hey wizard yes you can undo all of creation thank you for asking politely first'

S H I T

>Be Goliath

>Throw javelin really hard

>Javelin breaks really fast upon impact

>Goliath is too heavy to be supported by a shitty "stuck" javelin
No

Wow, this is dope and I wanna steal it. Goliath carrying capacity gets pretty absurd, and that's a great way to make it shine.

Do you think a Javelin can hold any playable classes weight? ESPECIALLY if they are dangling off of it, putting more pressure on the shaft?

Our thief has been hinting for awhile he wants a Blinkback belt so he can play le ebin Vax from Critical Role.

Im already Chatoic Neutral and I swear to God if he gets one I am killing him for it

Wojack posters are genuinely stupid people, sorry.

DMing for a new group. Decided to try flexing some creativity and have some fun. And encourage realism

>Characters can only carry 10 miscellaneous items in their inventory including extra weapons rations and tomes before a party wagon is needed
> The party warlock sometimes gets special tasks requested from his pact demon and is sometimes rewarded with a random spell one level higher than what he could normally cast
>Rolling a 1,2, 19, 20 on any possibly applicable die results in an extra stroke of good or bad fortune (less "you drop your weapon" and more "you lost your balance with that swing and if you take a hit before your next turn you'll fall prone

Of course I'm going to be the only one dealing with the tables and just using it to add to the narrative so my players don't have to do much extra. Any other potentially creative ideas?

The +0 for martials was meant to be for making attacks count as magic for resistance purposes. Also characters would be starting at lvl 4, should the players pursue it I was gonna implement cold iron, Silver, green steel in to weapon options and it would stack. Becausr yes this was meant to a replacement.

As for Artificer being martial/Caster. I would guess depends on the subclass, but I'd lean caster. If a player gave a good excuse his bladelock is more martial then caster I'd let him do it too.

Sorry dudes, had to work.

How did the argument with the guy who had serious beef with the concept of "CR" end? It was an entertaining read.

He had school in the morning, went to bed.

A body-fitting crank mechanism would take longer than 6 seconds to draw 30 feet of rope, so honestly you might as well just have the rope tied to you and draw it by hand

It's hardly a big deal, really
Just carry more of the damn thrown weapons, even if they're +whatever. Or use a ranged weapon.
The rogue shouldn't need one at all unless they have some sort of massively boosted dagger they throw sometimes instead of shanking people with, because they use dex and can use a bow instead and should be using a hand crossbow anyway really.

>Chaotic neutral

No fun allowed

He stopped posting I think. I can only assume he got mad and hurt himself without his helmet on.

His handler shouldn't let him use the internet so freely.

I'd probably switch the rolls from 1, 2, 19, and 20 to maybe just 2 and 19. 1 and 20 already (during attacks) have special things associated with them. Further 4 rolls means a full 20% of all rolls result in it. By keeping it to two you keep it at 10% of all rolls and don't infringe on the critical hit/miss.

Thanks! I'll edit the ribbon. I wanted to go more Genassi but with damage types instead of the classical elements, and less all over the place.
Any suggestions on making this less low level blaster caster and more interesting?

>tfw I’m a Chaotic Neutral shitter

>chaotic neutral
>killing him

That sounds awfully Chaotic Evil.

Chaotic Neutral people are selfish, sure, but they generally won't do things if it requires outright evil acts to accomplish them.

That's generally why Chaotic Neutral gods, for example, frown big time murder.

Being neutral is about being selfish without hurting others. If you're selfish without caring about people at all, then you're probably evil.

>Let's give everyone an arbitrary extra bit of hit chance because giving the party +1 to hit and then raising the enemy AC by 1 sounds fun!
>Let's make sure the casters and martials have even less reason to try doing something they wouldn't normally do by increasing their damage and hit chance when they do what they always do!
>Let's forget the dynamics of how magic items work, the idea that you might sacrifice magic items sometimes or an enemy might steal one or all sorts of things and just make them inherent character upgrades that just scale but the DM decides what the items are instead of just giving the party free feats!

Stick it to nat 1s and nat 20s, and have nat 1s only apply when it would make sense that it would apply.
>You swing a weapon and get a nat 1, usually nothing bad happens
>You try to swing when surrounded by allies with some in front of you and you're using a goddamn halberd, reroll against an ally of choice in front
>You covered your hands in oil earlier and didn't wash it off, your weapon slips from your grip
Or have them have neutral results
>You swing your weapon right next to a ming vase in a dungeon and miss horribly, you smash the vase, which honestly doesn't really matter much unless you really loved that vase
>You swing your maul around near these old barrels of booze, you miss horribly, hit the booze and there's now booze all over the floor

Having shit happen on 4/20 of rolls sounds like too much when a fighter could be making actually more than 10 fucking attacks in a turn, possibly with disadvantage/advantage which gives even higher chance of a 19/20 or 1/2, and then having overly specific arbitrary effects sounds confusing.

It's not stupid 'randumb' or arbitrary if there's an obvious reason for their nat 1 doing something.

>letting the CN faggot jump out of the van because you already checked the brake line

I can't believe you guys argued with a literal retard who could see no reason and who kept having screeching autistic fits. Well done on giving out well reasoned responses.

20% seems about right. A couple of my players tend to play like it's a video game and never do anything but focus on numbers and will play a warlock and never do anything but Eldritch blast his way to level 20. So the way I see it, the more often I can put the players in unexpected situations the better

Rate this brew.

See
Some of my reasoning is that the 2/19 is a less dramatic crit. It would be the difference between
>You roll a 20 and insta kill the thing, causing fear in the 2 others right next to you
And
>You roll a 19 and land a solid blow, pressuring the thing into using his next turn to defend himself

How will this change anything for the warlock? He will still just Eldritch blast 90% of the time because that's what warlocks do, only now he will fall over every now again.

DMs USE DMG LOOT TABLES
USE THEM
REEEEEEE

Eh, good enough. Better than pugilist. I'm not sure I feel that great about having yet another unarmoured defence piece of shit running around though as if 'not wearing armour' is the new 'heavily armoured'.

I don't think you need something as extreme as 'you instakill thing and/or inflict fairly notable status debuff to things' when some guys are making multiple attacks a turn with increased chances of hitting 20 from advantage. So you should make it weaker, and then you don't want something that's super-weak so you can get rid of the 19s after that.

>Loot tables
>Find inappropriate shit lying all over the place, wonder why monsters didn't use those items themselves, wonder why the fuck they're here, etc etc

>they use it to attract mate.

>You Eldritch blast and get a headshot, the target is now stunned/blinded/deafened for a turn making him more defenseless against your other spells
>You Eldritch blast but your patron is bored. You lose your agonizing blastand Eldritch spear buffs for the rest of the fight

Those are extreme examples but there's more possibilities to "critical" successes and failures than dropping a weapon and falling over

>Better than pugilist.
How so?

Because pugilist should be an archetype along the flavour of 'I want to be a strength-using fist person and don't want to be a barbarian-monk or ask my DM to slightly reflavour monk or punch things as a barbarian with tavern brawler' because you don't need an entire class for that.

Alright got some feedback, but my first is the wording of Fist Fighters Momentum. Is the 1 minute times per earned block or as a whole reset every time something triggers it? Because if I have to figure out when each 3hp bump I got expires, that's going to be a real pain. Also, throw in Minimum of 1hp into the disruption.

There's more stuff I'll get to later, but I like how this is a barbarian flourish into fighter (Like how pretty much every non-caster can do a wizard subtype like EK)

>not rolling loot up beforehand so that monsters that could use items do use them

So, if a human makes a oath of ancients, is him a elfboo?

I see.
>Is the 1 minute times per earned block or as a whole reset every time something triggers it?

Temp HP does not stack or (get replaced IIRC).

>You Eldritch blast and get a headshot, the target is now stunned/blinded/deafened for a turn

Great, I cast eldritch blast with advantage to hit.

>You Eldritch blast but your patron is bored. You lose your agonizing blastand Eldritch spear buffs for the rest of the fight
Oh boy, the warlock equivalent of 'you drop your sword and throw it across the room'. Boy I sure am glad I can be just like my fighter buddy now and look forward to leveling up so I can increase my chances of this shit happening every turn.

Why no ToA AL content in the trove?

So I've been having a bit of an argument with a friend over traps. How do you handle traps in your campaigns?

I figure it's somehow an investigation check to find it, and a apropriate check to disarm it depending on the trap. But when do the investigation check happen? How specific does a PC have to be for him to find it without triggering it? Is it enough for him to "investigate the room" for me to give him a hint that there's something off (unless he rolls a 1, in which case he might blunder into it.)

I'm really scared my players get paranoid and stop to check for traps every ten feet.

>So I've been having a bit of an argument with a friend over traps.
I'm sorry user. They are definitely gay.

Better than pugilist, but I'm not really a fan of the concept. I have no idea why this would need to exist thematically when open palm monk is a thing. Also that weapon style is incredibly pointless and that counterpunch feature is terribly written.
There's too much focus on allowing "a fighter, but naked" to work and not enough on actually having a unique niche. I think some sort of "weapon and open hand" style fighter would be easier to work with and wouldn't hinge on dismissing half the advantages a fighter has in the first place

I considered specifying this, but decided that the context of the thread might tip people off I wasn't talking about traps with feminine penises.

And not all traps are gay, some of them like girls.

Fapping to traps make me gay though. Linguistic quirk.

Don't bother rolling to find traps at all unless there's some sort of time limit such as the players are running from monsters, or conditions make it really hard to see traps in the first place such as dim light.

It's a farce, you should assume players take all the time needed to find any traps hidden unless it's completely impossible to find them. But you should always leave some sort of forewarning for players to pick up on.
You don't have to outright say 'this is a spear trap' but you can say 'there's clearly a pressure plate hidden here'. Maybe investigation might help tell what the pressure plate does but telling players a total roll of 5 or less will accidentally set off most traps.

Traps should either be puzzles of their own, be able to be used against the monsters or be used alongside monsters so players can't check for traps or deal with traps without using an action in combat, or for when players run around too much without proper lighting and all that.
If a player has to find a trap while time pressured, perception.

Oh, and, if this isn't a dungeon environment and they're just travelling, they can choose to travel slower in order to automatically find traps.

No, he just want to protect your beautiful smile.

Timid attempt at a homebrew race for my group.

pastebin.com/vnFA0pVD

Why is 'I want to use X, but I want to use it with strength instead of the normal stat' such a common thing?

>DMing a newish campaign with some Vets at a Game Store (Wew I get paid to DM)
>Group of 5 (Level 4-5) run into two Basilisks
>All 5 immediately avert their gaze (One player rolls a dice), even though none have ever encountered a Basilisk or similar creature
>Call bullshit, give them each 10 seconds to give me a reason how their characters would know
>First two claim its because they are from the area. This is true, and they are about 10miles from their hometown, give them a pass
>Third is a Wizard, claims he read it in a book
>Sure whatever
>Fourth guy says he is a Bard, and heard stories about them. He rolled a d20 and it was 19 so he knew what it was
>Fifth guy claims he read it in a book
>He is a Goliath Barbarian with an INT of 8, and cannot read according to his bio.
>Have a 3rd Basilisk join the fray (It was planned), as punishment the Goliath catches his eye and he has to roll
>Fails his roll
>Things slowly go downhill and they end up fleeing, Barbarian is stuck Petrified
>Party has to go back to town to find a Cleric, offer to let him play the Cleric till they get him fixed but he refused
He reported me to the owner that I was being unfair, but luckily we keep video logs of sessions

If someone ever offers you a full time job running campaigns for their store say no

A-user, you cant say things like this out of the blue!

I can see the appeal of a non-magic, or no ki point monk, but I just think giving it "totally not magic" features that do the exact same thing is the wrong way to go

Because a lot of people don't want to play something different from the norm. Some people don't want to play Bruce Lee some want to be Dudley.

>Traps should either be puzzles of their own, be able to be used against the monsters or be used alongside monsters so players can't check for traps or deal with traps without using an action in combat, or for when players run around too much without proper lighting and all that.
What about doors, chests, etc?

Should have used cultural excuses. Looking in the eye is rude/weird.

Word.

I would have taken almost anything but what he gave me
>Anyone (My Parents/The Bard/ The other two in prep for our journey/overhead it in a bar/heard a song about it) told a story about them
>Cultural excuse
>I looked down to check my footing and heard someone else whisper not to look at them
>Goliath intuition (There were in the mountains, and he came from a craggy/mountain area)

Like im willing to stretch that line REAL far (when it comes to lesser enemies) because I understand sometimes in the moment you act on instinct and not RP

But give me something

Why do you use enemies that are older than hobby itself and demand others to feign ignorance?

>I'm just saying, the potential for abuse is there
Yeah wouldn't want those uppity martials solving problems with their skills and equipment. Just let the wizard cast fly on you.

I'm throwing 5 bad guys at my party for them to travel around the land defeating. They're all based on an individual stage of grief. I need help coming up with more details and ideas on how to implement their character and challenge to the party

>Denial - a tiefling bard who grew up experiencing massive prejudice is mind controlling the town and making them nice to him

>Anger - a typical monster like an orc or a goblin survived the extermination of it's tribe and raised an army to destroy as much of the country as possible

>Bargaining - a person loses his family and is being manipulated by his patron fey or demon into opening a portal to summoning a potentially world-ending entity with the promise of gaining enough power to bring them back

>Depression - the king of the nation lost his wife and is completely absent from his duties, allowing the country to spiral into chaos

>Acceptance - the biggest dicked hero in the land that fought demons and dragons in the name of justice lost his girlfriend and accepts that deep down he was a lot more villainous and selfish and begins indulging in evil because there's no one holding him back now

Should I make my Ranger player (Revised UA) track their arrows?

Eh, I don't see the unarmoured part being needed. I'd look into the 4e Brawler Fighter for inspiration, which was an armoured weapon + unarmed attack guy with a lot of lockdown potential (Since he kept grabbing people).

Too dumb to play a goliath
Too passive-aggressive to be a barbarian
No one warned him in character?
>goblin hate fire.

1. We play an RP heavy game and stay in character when possible. Part of that is not bringing in outside knowledge
2. This is something we discussed and agreed upon before it began

i'd say only their magical arrows
normal arrow count doesn't really matter unless they're out for a really long time without returning to a town of some sort

that's not necessary, a ranger should succeed all tracking checks by default.

Not worth the bother for something worth so little.