Anyone have resources for dungeon design and puzzles? Looking to make my dungeon dives more than just monsters in rooms

Anyone have resources for dungeon design and puzzles? Looking to make my dungeon dives more than just monsters in rooms.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't get it.

pretty sure you can't touch one orb and then reverse.

I did one where I had a balancing problem with a bunch of gems where you had to divide the value of the gems between two sides of a scale. Around the room I had clues to the value of the gems to the like of "The pearl is worth twice as much as the onyx." Three of the PCs ignored looking at that stuff and started arguing about the gold piece value of gems. When the Fighter and Barbarian tried getting a word in edgewise, they told them to shut up, they weren't smart to figure this out. I'm laughing behind my screen at their gold piece calculations and their rage when I tell the rogue when he goes to appraise the gems that I say they appear to be fake gems. While they continue to argue the fighter and barbarian ask about the rest and put together all the clues to get the answer. They both nod, tell the rest of the party to shut up and show them the solution to the puzzle. The big dumb lugs of the party showed once again that common sense and exploration are stronger than book learning and "cleverness."

That's a pretty good one. Logic puzzles were always fun for me. I remember a similar one in the Venus Lighthouse part of the first Golden Sun. You had to read the statues and place them in an order that satisfied the statements they gave. Stuff like "Red is Northwest of Purple".

Personal idea: The dungeon affects the overworld.

Resources: play any Zelda game for ideas to "inspire" you (steal them).

Boss Keys (analysis of Zelda dungeons): youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

Boss keys is great, but it really highlights the general disconnect people have on what makes a good dungeon in a legend of zelda

Congrats, you just passed the autism test.

What do you mean? Is it too vidya dungeon design focused?

I think this is quicker

You passed through two red orbs in a row early on.

You went through reds twice in a row on the left side.

Doesn't say that, so it isn't a rule, Gordian knot motherfucker.

Some people prefer navigation challenges. Trying to understand how to navigate the space and understanding the dungeon as a single space. Others think that shit is just creating backtracking and would prefer dungeons to be a series of interlocked challenges to a theme. The first group sees that as pointlessly linear and just a mindless trek. Neither is wrong, but neither really 100% gets what the other prefers, which ends up leading to rather snide and biased names. For example, find-the-path versus follow-the-path implies that find the path is more active than follow the path. While someone calling them gauntlet and backtracking dungeons would imply that there's more skill to gauntlet dungeons and that backtracking dungeons are just chores.

user here.

The series is an overall criticism. One of MB's critiques is the navigational complexity of dungeons (verticality, backtracking, gimmicks and item gimmicks) versus their logical complexity (through key-lock graph/maps).

MB puts emphasis on how well the gimmicks of the dungeon (dungeon gimmicks, dungeon item gimmicks, non-dungeon item gimmicks) are used and evolved in the overall puzzle to solve the dungeon.

Another video of some other series... I think it was "Why You Shouldn't Play The Witness" had the idea of introducing a puzzle element, then slowly evolving it to give the players an eventual logical understanding of the puzzle over time.

Vidya doesn't translate to TTRPGs 1:1, however you can apply some principles to an TTRPG from certain gamist/exploratory perspectives.

It says "pass through" meaning you need to end up on the other side.

I followed the path and then passed orbs in order "red, blue, red, blue, red, blue" and then "so on".

Do I win the autism crown?

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

>The big dumb lugs of the party showed once again that common sense and exploration are stronger than book learning and "cleverness."

Except it wasn't the dumb lugs who figured it out, it was the players who did, happily ignoring their "dumb lug" INT scores. While the presumably smart and attentive characters were held back by not so smart players. Of course, we don't really want to reduce the puzzle to just another die roll either. So good luck sorting this shit out.

No, someone with autism should be really good at sticking to the pattern. You just get the Carlos II award.

I would have never fucking thought of looping around. It fucking hurts being a brainlet