/sfg/ - Starfinder General

Starfinder General: Shamelessly stolen and minimally edited OP edition
Making a thread because I have a question sub-edition

What is your character build? What is its DPR?

/pfg/ unified link repository (trove contains all current leaked PDFs in Starfinder folder): pastebin.com/fr9piFCi

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Things to do:
Run games
Raid the other Science fiction/ fantasy games and steal their map assets
Make a Plant race (drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoNjZvWmVvTWRvSlk/view?usp=sharing)
Make a Fish race (drive.google.com/open?id=0BxorJiX7ellIWDlTOEtibVZuRUE)
Make a turtle race (1d4chan.org/wiki/Arocku)
Make a Veeky Forums adventure path
Graph class builds and DPRs

Old Thread: Is there any established lore with respect to whether or not an object can be in multiple planes at once? I know that Pathfinder describes planes which can co-exist, but in particular I was wondering if there's a way for, say, a starship to be stuck halfway in and out of the Drift.

>no anime girl in the first post

>farted around until the previous thread was archived instead of creating at bump limit like it's supposed to

I'm a different OP, unaware of the customs in this strange land. I had a question, saw the previous thread and read it as it got archived, then watched as nobody made another. I don't have any anime girls saved on my computer so I posted something related to starfinder instead.

i want to include phoenixes in my campaign somehow
>I don't have any anime girls saved on my computer so I posted something related to starfinder instead.
you dun good OP

Would the phoenixes be intelligent? Ostensibly not playable, of course, but would they be communicating with the players? Can a phoenix survive in space? Are stars phoenix eggs?

i think they would be the national animal of a civilization

I guess my question re: the Drift and whether or not it's possible to be only halfway into it doesn't matter. I could just say it happened since none of my players read any more about the planar lore than I do, and if someone wants to "um, actually" me later I'll come up with a stupid explanation like that it was sealed in a demiplane built to provide the illusion that the starship was stuck halfway in the drift.

Long story short, I want to do an Event Horizon type thing where the party wakes up in the cargo hold of said ship, and they need to make their way to engineering in order to fix it. On their way to the engine bay, there's kaleidoscopic intersections of other planes, like looking into a shattered mirror. The crew is missing for reasons which will grow to be apparent later.

I put a Hesper in my players' starship power core. She's more or less benevolent and the players want to keep her.

What interesting ways can I incorporate this hesper into plot hooks etc? Best ways to incorporate her into things like starship combat?

Why worry about the default lore anyway? I admit that I'm coming from DnD5e so I never had any respect for default assumptions in the rulebook my first time DM'ing. If anyone tries to "correct" you later then just tell them that this setting is somewhat different from default and leave it at that. Your idea sounds pretty cool (Event Horizon is a classic) and you shouldn't let some shit a dude wrote for a paycheck stop you from using it.

You could play her as an adrenaline junkie perhaps. If the players put themselves and the ship in danger regularly she can provide a bonus to ship power that they can use for more upgrades, etc. Likewise, if they run away too many times or refuse to take the dangerous route regularly then she starts fucking with them. It starts with the lights flickering, but builds up to her outright refusing to power the engines until the players plot a course towards a probable fight or some other dangerous activity. An example plot hook would be her demanding the players enter a dangerous race through the diaspora because she's never been in a race before, etc.

That's pretty interesting. I think I might incorporate elements of that, but I feel like I already restrict my players a bit with faction influence (Starfinders, Stewards, and Golarion Knights all exert some pressure on their actions at this point) so I'll probably downplay it a bit. Thank you.

No problem bud. And you're right that her making outright demands is probably too much. The players should also be able to convince her to be more patient as well so they can buy more time before she gets too upset with them. I didn't actually think about using a hesper like this before. I might throw a friendly one into my game as well as I think my players would really dig having a mascot around. I was originally thinking an advance AI that projects itself as a talking dog via hologram, but a hesper dog sounds a lot more fun.

GUYS HOLY SHIT.

A PLAYER OF MINE WANTED TO DESIGN THE PARTY'S STARSHIP AND-

I CAN'T EVEN. LOOK AT THIS THING! IT'S GLORIOUS!

I mean it needs to be furnished but fuck I can do that in post no big deal.

Rate my group's starship. I give it a 10/10 but I'm the fucking GM and adore the player who did this to begin with.

>non centerline engines
disgusting
seriously tho, thats pretty neat
dungeon painter?

Someone needs to fix this repository.
Core Rulebook download is Premium User only.
#NotItButSeriouslySomeoneThatCaresShouldFixIt

Also - big fan of the Ysoki race.

Feel like picture dumping.
Kasatha Technomancer

Lashunta Sniper

Orrian Bridger

My friend is playing a Ysoki Armor Storm Soldier in another game (I can't play it due to schedule) and I swear it sounds like the most fun thing ever.

Ysoki Outlaw Envoy

No idea. Pretty sure the guy did it all in paint.net with whatever spare assets and textures he could find that he didn't design himself.

I have a question, I'm creating some extraplanar creatures for invocation spell (alien archive), certains have resistances equal to their CR, what about CR 1/3 ? is the resistance 0 or 1 ? (same for tiny air elemental with whirlwind capacity)

Is it just me or do Envoy Improvisations feel kinda lackluster and weirdly combat-centric?

Combat centic kinda.
They are the combat part of their kit. The expertise talents are the non-combat part.

As for underwhelming, no.
+2 to hit for the full party while making an attack. Ranged heals. Switching out readied actions.
They're buffs and pretty good ones.

Always round down unless the entry says otherwise.

>flat on his feet
It just doesn't look right

But user, rats are plantigrade, just like you and me.

Does /sfg/ have recruiting games like /pfg/?

They don't take up spell slots or have per day limits and a lot of them take move actions, swift actions or reactions, so they're stronger than you'd expect.

>just like you and me.
Did you just assume my mode of locomotion, shitlord?

Redo the name in Eurostile Bold. Like all proper spaceships should have.

What are they using this ship for? Is it a murderhobo in ship form, some salvage or bounty hunter thing?

I like them when they're not drawn or treated like every other fantasy rat race, but are more mousey and fun.

>He's flat footed

>He's unguligrade

A phoenix is just a star that collapsed and was reborn.
In a million years it will be ready to go sleep for a few million more until it rebirths itself.

I'm not the best on this game's lore yet, but you could maybe say that a star like that might have something of an intelligence, and can manifest a sort of avatar to explore the galaxy with, it would then have similar abilities to a Solarian.

That actually might be a good bit of lore for the Solarian. All those star powers had to come from somewhere, right?

I could build on it some more then.

Stars can potentially be alive and have minds, some grant power, some seek destruction of others, some wish to explore, most though desire to slumber for eternity or lay dormant. Some are light, some are dark, some are young and some are very old.

They're not like gods because they're limited in their power. They don't control their gravity and can't reach far outside themselves without the use of a manifestation of some kind, but those manifestations are limited in their own power. A powerful star can maybe manifest a phoenix the size of a starship, but not too far.

I don't think I like the idea of Solarians needing to gain favor from stars, but maybe they can be granted their powers from one as a source, and while their powers don't continue to come from that star, they were first initiated by the star.

I don't like half of what I just wrote but it's something to work with.

Transportation and likely smuggling down the line. After shipbuilding, we wound up with 4 compartments worth of cargo, currently filled with a large, mostly empty box that formerly had an elf in it, 2 loading drones, a buggy, and our Operative's "tricked out bike."

They have a railgun mostly for some token self-defense, they'll probably spring for more once they eventually find out that basically half the galaxy is looking for their ship.

Use the Pathfinder trove.

Is one is playing an imbalanced Solarian is there any reason to not just go balls to the wall and play star/black hole guy? Like I get the downside of having to wait an extra turn for your big power but if say you just want to play gravity man could you just always stay in graviton mode and have pretty much every graviton power and be just fine? Or is there a penalty to becoming further imbalanced that I'm missing?

nope, you aren't missing anything.
Basically it's saying either be balanced, or go full one way.

Which isn't that bad imho. having the slight penalty for being imbalanced makes up for the fact that all your revelations will always be in their attuned mode.

Of course you might still take one revelation from the other path because you think that particular one is sweet.

Are Solarians okay by the way?

I'm playing my first game soon and they seem like a fun thing to play since they're halfway different from other things you could play in pathfinder or other systems.

Although the ones with the armor power seem to get the vastly shorter end of the stick compared to the ones who get the weapon power...

Aren't Hespers shameless flirts? She should try to jump the bones of either the Engineer or Pilot.

They seem pretty solid, but I'm not much of a metagamer, nor have I compiled DPR graphs or whatever so I wouldn't know.

One of my players is a solarian and he seems to be carrying.

Wat

I never played Pathfinder so I don't know if this is a holdover from there, but user is referring to hespers flirting and mating with non-hespers. It's pretty retarded and I personally ignore it, but it's there for those who want it in their games. It is kinda cool they reproduce by basically making your body grow a mutated womb, but they can't even make rape babies like a xenomorph facehugger since the lover has to be willing.

Are scatterguns any good in practice or are they as useless as they seem?

My life is worse for knowing this.

They're...they're not unplayable the way some classes in PF or 3.5 shook out to be, but they're definitely the bottom of the barrel as far as SF classes go. The class's design and fluff has a lot of ambition that it fails to deliver on. The solar weapon is worse, by far, than buying weapons (even if you're melee primary!) and while the armor is functional it's not "worth all these levels I sunk into this class" functional. Attunement and revelations take multiple rounds to spin up in a system where an entire combat might be four rounds total on the outside, and the Zenith revelations - your Black Hole and Supernova and the later ones that require you to expend a full Attunement - not only aren't worth the action you take to use them, they're often not worth losing the Attunement you've managed to build up, especially in light of passive Revelations that then ratchet way the hell down when you cash in.

Solarion's got a couple nifty tricks, like a charm that the victim justifies to themselves, but all of those nifty tricks are done by someone else, better, faster, while also bringing more inherent versatility to the table (case in point, Mystics are busting that charm and then some at level 1). They don't even do the whole "I worship stars and get power from it" thing better in the native fluff; they got beat out AGAIN by Mystic to that particular prize, whose stellar Connections aren't just better, but offer a less constrained vision of celestial faith.

TL;DR you can play one but chances are whatever you're after you'll get with less effort and frustration elsewhere.

Why does no one ever include bathrooms on their ship designs? Do people in space just poop in a bucket and throw it out the airlock?

Except for the zenith Revelations there is no spin up time.
Turn one for no action you become attuned for whatever you want.

Solar weapons are only behind if you don't buy the crystals.
Their the full Bab class that has utility, where the soldier is full Bab with extra good hitting, and taking hits.

You mean the crystals that are strictly more expensive than equivalent weapons? Those crystals? The ones that are worse than buying weapons off a shelf just like I described above?

Are those the crystals to which you're referring?

I need to be clear here.

That you are referring.

To exactly what the fuck I was talking about.

hmmmm. how can i kill a energy immune monster when i have only energy based weapons

Club it to death with your rifle very patiently.

its an ooze, i dont think clubbing it will work.

Have you considered a tactical retreat to get or make something to handle it? Crafting takes about 4 hours these days so if you're not in a hurry and you have UPBs/credits to spare you can come back with like, an actual gun or a sword or something and kick its shit.

>Crafting takes about 4 hours these days
first thing i thought of, find random scrap metal laying around and make a improvised cutting weapon. problem is we are on a time limitted mission. i think it reasonable to craft a axe like this in like... 5mins if you have a welder and all kinds of badass future tools.
find random pipe
weld sheetmetal to end
sharpen sheetmetal
done 5mins

>He doesn’t use magnetar rifles

What in tarnation.

what is a magnetar rifle

So is it good?

Magnetar rifles are automatic rifles using magnetic propulsion. They’re guns that use direct damage, rather than energy.

If you can find a campaign? Yes.

oh i see them now.
starfinder railguns, im not high enough lvl for those

ok so there is whirlwind 0 rounds, so no whirlwind at all I guess

What utility? The passive Revelations either do shit you can already just BUY, or they only work if you cripple your primary role by boosting Charisma - like that Charm one.

Ok then.

Quick question: Do healing serums and healing spells restore hit points and stamina? I would assume they would heal any missing hit points then heal stamina but the descriptions say they heal "hit points".

The rules on healing in the Tactical Rules chapter specifically call out that hp healing doesn't overflow into Stamina unless the effect in question says it does. It's a little hard to find.

They're different things.

They can't heal you when you're not actually hurt. Only tired.

>whirlwind
What?

uhh

what is this game?

Starfinder is, in some ways, Pathfinder in space. In other ways, it's a different game with different rules but it's set in the Pathfinder universe like 4000 years in the future or something.

Unrelated: have starship DCs gotten errata yet?

a RPG.
it has space things
it also has magic things
its fun

>Unrelated: have starship DCs gotten errata yet?
not that i know, but its not hard to just fix them yourself

But user, you can't calculate their utility in combat so they're not important!

>he doesn't poop out of the airlock like a normal person

>+2 to hit for the full party while making an attack. Ranged heals. Switching out readied actions.
>They're buffs and pretty good ones.
>But user, you can't calculate their utility in combat so they're not important!
yes you can calulate that. it would have to be for each party, but it can be done. +10% to hit for the entire party will prolly translate into a big buff in damage. envoys seem like a fun, fluffy, powerful, and RP centric class to me. i want to play one next probably

Allow me to build off of this.

Solarians are, first and foremost, philosophers. This seems somewhat at odds with their capacity for violence, but the truth is the universe is a harsh, dangerous, unforgiving place. The stars themselves, the black holes some become, these are the two tidal forces of the universe; stars exude energy and grant life, throwing stellar material across the universe when they die, while black holes serve as sinks for excess matter and energy, and serve as sources of gravitational energy.

A solarian's first response to a situation is to \engage it with calmness and open arms. Many situations can become dangerous and deadly, but there is no reason to let violence be the first option when you are entirely capable of dealign it out

There is much to be learned, and solarians seek to understand and experience as much as possible. their motes serve as a beacon and a warning: "I am here to treat with you fairly, but I will not tolerate an assault with equanimity." those who have met solarians find them personabl, and friendly, or threatenign and powerful, but there can be no doubt that most solarians are willign to discuss terms and explore ideologies before violence occurs.

There are exceptions of course, these being the kind who see the power of the stars and black holes as mere weapons instead of tools for exploration and defense.

The surface of things, like stars and black holes, are (relatively) easily seen. The deeper mysteries are not so easily discovered.

>Con't.

I realize Americans can't read but the original complaint was that the Improvisations seemed TOO focused on combat.

Think before you try to be snide, jackass.

The solarians are mystics, and theior deeper secrets make them more like a mystery cult than a simple religion. Their motes, be they graviton or photon based, are conduits of power, yes, but they serve another purpose. They represent the places a solarian would most dearly love to tread. The impossible places where life seems impossible, and yet cannot ignore. Gravitons warp and shape the universe, inescapable even in the further place; even in the depths of the void the pull of the starts and black holes exerts a tiny influence upon everything. Photons travel forever, light from billions of years in the past only now reaching you to represent a star long dead, a galaxy aeons older than what you cans see of it. The motes are darkness or light manifested as a tool, a tiny portion of a mystery that cannot be solved. Why are there stars? Why are there black holes? What is their relationship?

The life cycle of a star is wekl documented. A solarian stands in the midst of it: like a black hole, they absorb, taking in knowledge, wisdom, experience, the universe around them. Like a star, they decimate these things, giving others tools to understand the universe, teaching, passing on knowledge. The solarian mysticism is truly about give and take, and the impartiality of a universe that cares not where you stand within it, but accepts your existence even as it works to snuff it out. Where an envoy is a diplomat, a solder a destroyer, an operative a manipulator, mystics players with the fabric of reality, and technomancers students of the workings of the universe, a solarian is simply there: taking everything in and giving it out once again, a pivot point between understanding and violence.

Stupid autocorrect. Disseminate=/=decimate.

so are the rules dnd based like pathfinder or are they a different base system but the same universe as pathfinder??

It's still D20, and still has that 3.5e blood in its veins for sure. The changes from Pathfinder are largely subtle, like how HP is assigned, how stats grow as you level, stamina points, etc. All the differences are within the general framework, none of them fundamentally alter the system.

It's pathfinder/3.5 at it's core, just with things being rebalanced and some rules being streamlined.

So how do I heal player health without asigning them a mystic or having them spend a week in bed between every encounter

Ideally it'd make medicine a non-useless skill.

potions are like 50c

Are there any more hard-scifi options?
Maybe something that'd make the medicine skill less useless?

Like, roll medicine+expend one medkit to heal x amount of hitpoints

medicine skill helps people heal naturally i think but doesnt heal people instantly. it also requires lots of gear and constant attention IIRC, read the book

>Are there any more hard-scifi options?
Refluff the serums as nanite injections?

it requires a DC25 check, can only be done once per day, and heals a hit point per level of the creature being healed (or that + the healer's intelligence if you hit a DC30).

Overall really weak.
At level 3 you'd have maybe a 1 in 4 chance of healing 3 hit points. 7 if you roll a nat 20

nanopotions are like 50c

kinda, most PC have what... 12 HP?
its completely horrible

>its *not completely horrible

At level 3 it's closer to 20

That's what space toilets are in real life, are they not?

wait.... im pretty sure HP doesnt increase with lvl user

oh, well fuck me.

It's Racial HP you only get once.