ITT tropes you would want to try in a game

ITT tropes you would want to try in a game

>the party must face the villian's mysterious council of powerhouses in single-combat

>the entire party gets heavily dosed with a hallucinogen whilst in the middle of a quest/mission

I would Lisa

She's in grade school..

Yes, and?

Zach a Hack and AAAAARRRHHH! MY WRIST

Ok now that's out of my system
>Heroes get invited to a fancy party
>Nothing bad happens and heroes get to have a good time

Villian has a trap door in his office/final meeting room

>tropes you would want to try in a game
A beginning, middle and end would be nice.

Just a few but I never managed to get one going.

>Character goes into Devil Trigger/Dragon Install mode
>Split it into two parties due to some dumb argument and then have both parties go one against the other in some sort of contest or task
>Artificial Intelligence shuts down complex and starts killing everyone and party has to escape
>Party and recurring bad guy have to team up to beat a greater evil/solve a bigger problem
>Character has a sibling that is actually stronger than him and is working to the opposing team

I almost always put a sibling in my backstory and that he/she is almost as competent as me and started earlier an life of adventuring but GMs never get anything going with my backstory anyway.

>the party is captured by the villain
>the villain invites them to join him for dinner
>he has fancy, tailored outfits for each party member

>The GM as a second person narrator is actually hiding the main villain behind the first person

>One of the members of the party is mistaken for a long-lost prince and abducted by the king's men to bring him home

prude..

I wanna do this, too.

I love this shit but I feel like regular players would call it railroading and get mad.

Many players are entitled nowadays.

>beach episode

what?

How do you do this without it going magical realm? Or do you mean it in a sort of "fun relax times" rather than sexy babes in bikinis way?

pic related

I'll be doing this soon in a Not-Greek game. Party will be going after a child of Not-Dionysus and there will be heavy hallucinogen use by the npc.

Just explain the situation in the least amount of anime tropes possible.

Had one of those. A 'unwind' section.
Basically turned into three characters talking while the other two just tabbed out of the game and left their characters silent for two hours.

>that image
>kill la kill.jpg

>that post
>medaka box

>Heroes get invited to a fancy party
>Nothing bad happens and heroes get to have a good time

I'm about to do this in curse of strahd. As long as the players behave and don't start a fight, they won't be accosted and will be allowed to leave the castle at the end of the night.

>As long as the players behave and don't start a fight,
That's a thing that's allowed?

>As long as the players behave and don't start a fight
Have you ever had players before? Good fucking luck with this one, user.

Zarya would be a good waifu, would provide you with strong sons.

Begone troper

What's this? Backgrounds in my Paranatural comic? Why this is an outra-AAUUUGGGHHH MY WRIST!

Having a character with a Super Mode doesn't seem like a hard thing to develop.

>no strong daughters

The hell's the matter with you

>shadowrun
>last battle with corporate CEO
>knows marital arts has the strength of a lv 20 DnD monk

I too want the CEO to be Wesker

>PC gets artifact
>DM starts giving the player advice ooc
>DM tries to make the player trust his advice
>one of his advice leads him to certain items and to a certain location
>thank you for freeing me

but that's an anime trope in it of itself

you'll probably have to trick them into going their separate ways and then ambush all of them

How do you trick a seasoned party taught never to split the party?

>knows Marital Arts
Dressed in a tuxedo, the CEO turns towards you. He pulls a golden ring onto his left ring finger and speaks out with a simple "I do."

Roll Initiative.

kek

What meme is this?

It's pretty gud.

Don't laugh at it. It's just that his comic is so slow due to his wrist problems drawing. People make fun of the fact that every week or so he skips out on a page, but he caAAAAAAAAAHG MY WRIST NOT AGAIN

Ends are scarce.We played for years before we truly got one. There were many beginning.

God I hate 3.5 / PF

We had this happen once. Ended up fighting a giant crab in the middle of the woods, followed by a Mescaline Dragon.

Oddly enough, when we woke up from our drug induced hallucinations, the giant crab corpse was still there, so that was actually real.

Not quite a trope, but it is something I'd like to try/run across some time; namely the piano bomb gag.

Roll to miss that one particular note.

>but that's an anime trope in it of itself
Please don't say "in and of itself" again until you learn a) how to say it and b) what it actually means. Also, no it's not.

Defeat means friendship

>we can't reach the end of a campaign
>MUST BE THE GAMES FAULT!!!!!!!
Get a better fucking GM dipshit.

post more of best girl

So, Geese Howard and/or Heihachi Mishima, in other words.

right on the mark

T H I C C

Fun times

Clearly unbalanced power scaling do derail games when you're a group of newbies, fucktard.

That, or something magical happened when we played games from White Wolf, Fantasy Flight Gaming, w/e company did Shadowrun, Dream Pod 9, or any fucking other company where, if the game survived it's 3rd session, we managed to stick to it for months at a time.

Then, we managed to do it with 4th edition. And somewhat with 5th edition. Effortlessly. But yeah, a game's power scaling, trap options, failure to keep up with defenses couldn't be to blame.

Nah, it's really simple. Have a completely opposite party (meaning, same roles or same classes, if you play a system that has them) of powerful mercenaries hired by the main antagonist. Through the game leave clues that their strength is teamwork and they are nearly invincible together. That means that the party is going to try to separate them through dueling. Also have them be very cocky and overconfident, so that they'll agree to being challenged. In case the party still chooses to fight them as a team, prepare some really crazy synergies of their abilities. Also have them individually as strong as/stronger than party members, so that they must use tricks to defeat them (you should think up some individual weaknesses to clue at to the party members).

>Then, we managed to do it with 4th edition
Some prime bait right there.

My DM loves that shit and it he would frequently put transformations, super modes, and shit like that in his games for the longest time. I never really cared for it since he, as a fan of Breath of Fire, tended to lean more towards transformations that would completely change the character's capabilities, at which point I had to wonder if it was even the character I wanted to play anymore.

That makes sense. Its the only route to go with, is it?

The final boss fight in the last campaign I played in was against the mirror party. Alien Trickster, Sword Wielding Hulk, and Tentacle Assassin vs Human Sorcerer, Power Suit donning mechanic, and Elf Rogue. Each for had our strengths without our weaknesses, so the party had to play it smart to win, besting their other selves. It made for a hell of a fight.

Her only flaw is that she has that retarded pink dyke cut that screams TUMBLR.

This battle. It's what it all comes down to. If you win, you can get to the servers to shut down the wave interfering with brain chips all across the city.

But if you fail, you'll retire to a nice cottage in the country, and spend your finals days pleasantly weeding the garden as your three children play in the yard.

>mfw if the CEO wins he'll use the chips to hack my brain until I'm a happy wife
Jesus Christ that's hot

In retrospect that does sort of change it in a way. I was kinda going for a wacky tone shift of evil wall street guy to happy husband sitting on a swing bench with his wife watching the sunset.

Oh yeah, I got that first and it was funny, it's just that I'm also creepy sex pervert

But it'll be cuter if she was pretending to be mindcontrolled. All to make her man happy.

A fully IC, player-initiated "So, why're you guys adventuring?" downtime scene, like, everybody talking around the campfire type thing, that I can participate in.
I very almost got it once, but to my embarrassment I hadn't yet come up with a backstory for the character I'd made. Normally I have one in mind before I make the character, but this time I hadn't because I showed up late to the first session and made a cleric in a hurry because they needed one.

>muh nanomachines

Does it count if all the bad things are happening behind the scenes, and the crew is working very hard to make sure the Rogue Trader's party doesn't get interrupted?

No, but save that for later. Those stories are great too.

what are you gay or something

if so, that's fine, nothing wrong with that

You couldn't come up with a generic backstory on the spot?

>something something finding knowledge
>something something finding someone
>something something getting revenge
>something something getting laid

Like I said, I was embarrassed, but I did. I frantically came up with something on the spot, but the character I was playing wasn't really very well fleshed out either and so the backstory wasn't anywhere near as good as if I'd actually put some thought into it, you know?

I guess what I really want is another crack at it, but I haven't played much since then. The worst part is that I have loads of character ideas and backstories just written down for future games but I always just wind up using them for NPCs or never getting a chance to reveal them. It's maddening.

>Party has superpowers that are weak when used conventionally, but strong when used creatively. Skitter/Tattletale type.
>Optimistic campaign in traditionally dark setting.
>Party is running a campaign for governor in a modern fantasy setting.
>Certain religion is revealed to be true, but dogma is drastically wrong and the central figures aren't all-powerful.

>teamfortress2.gif

I'm having flashbacks to the climatic nunchuck battle with Richard Nixon in Black Dynamite.

I want to introduce one of the players as a villain.

>capture a potential BBEG
>during capture, it's revealed to have amnesia
>turn it into a force of good

>giving me a way to justify this scenario

The only problem with that, and defeat means friendship in general is that most players are assholes, and would shriek at the idea of not outright murdering a boss after he's beaten.

Why not have different routes? A good route and bad route depending on if the villian dies or not?

funny thing when I actually did play a campaign there was a reoccurring villain that eventually became one of our allies

I had a pretty fun experience with something like that as a player.
>be me, playin' chivalrous knight
>party is sent to investigate increased amount of spoopy ghosts in the area
>stumbled across giant army of spoopy skeletons and got discovered
>in a desperate attempt to save us, and to roleplay properly, I challenge the skeleton that appears to be their leader to a duel
>turns out the leader was actually a death knight, so he was oblidged to accept my challenge
>The party wants to gank him after he emerges from the ranks of his skellingtons, but I convince them not to since it wouldn't be chivalrous
>We then begin fighting 1v1 (even though his challenge rating was balanced for the entire party to join in)
>After 5 rounds of back and forth, I somehow manage to miraculously not die and to hurt him just enough where he was second guessing our honorable duel
>Death knight decides to fling a few spells our way while falling back while keeping his skeletons back to protect himself, gave us just enough time to run away
We ended up fighting him again as a party after we found his lair later though.

Did you get anything neat from him pussying out of the duel besides moral and chivalrous superiority?

It kind of sounds like if the death knight hadn't pussied out, user's PC would've died, so I guess he got that.

When he was turning to run, I hit an amulet he was wearing thinking it would kill him because it looked magical, but the massive number of ghosts that he was using to raise skeletons came out and started terrorizing people instead.

>Everyone the party members have ever helped along the way show up to assist in their own unique way in the final fight against the BBEG
hnnnnnnnng

Well, I guess since I only just got to use this trope's fun points last week, it's kind of relevant.

>Want to play character who has a secret talent.
>A talent that will only come in handy in maybe one, possibly two occasions the entire game
>Ask the GM if it's okay
>He gives me the green light to dump points into what I want, which noticeably limits my usefulness all-round compared to the rest of the party
>Game starts
>My guy is an average ship engineer and medic, good with tools, torches, and tourniquets.
>specializes in ad-hoc overrides for ship controls
>over half my character points dumped in a pair of stats to facilitate this
>several sessions go by
>not as good a medic as the doctor, not as good at repairs as the dedicated engineer, not as good at ship handling as the pilot
>Everyone kind of just lets it all slide because I can do a little everything if need be
>Game continues
>At some point, we get locked on a ship with critters on it
>Bad guys also on the ship, trying to steal something
>We all meet and get into a zero-g shootout
>Outgunned and losing the fight
>We're probably intended to be captured by the GMPC's goons and forced to further the plot
>There's a door with a control panel next to it
>I leave the fight and go up to it
>GM has forgotten I am the god to end all gods of system admins
>"I want to override the door controls"
>Okay, but it's a pretty tough roll. This isn't your ships, it's in another OS, blah blah blah
>GM is warning me, probably a -5 or 6 to the roll as a modifier
>I still have a decent chance either way
>Roll
>4
>Critical success
Now, at this point, the Gm could have been a dick and had a stray round hit me or the door, or eve just said the door jams as it tries to open, but he's a cool dude
>Door opens
>Party is dumbfounded
>We go through
>Haha! But now you're going to have to close it!
>"I want to override the door controls to close it"
>You can try, but-
(cont.)

(cont.)
>Roll
>11
>Success by margin of 1
>Door closes neatly with no issues
>Party doesn't realize what just happened, as they haven't tried to use any of the ship controls yet
>Security officers gets huffy about not getting to do anything but shoot
>We go to the bridge
>SO tries to get the door open
>Rolls a 7
>Fails
>"But he got an 11 and passed!"
>"He has a higher skill level than you do."
>I try
>Roll a 9
>Door opens
>SO still huffy, but the rest of the party is astounded
>We manage to bring the ship out of lockdown with a dead tech's ID and password, conveniently written inside his helmet's visor
>have to manually override everything else
>Roll for a whole lot of overrides
>Get security cameras, elevator controls, and some of the door controls online
>"Can I see where the critters are being held?"
>GM looks through his notes to find the useful pieces now that we are totally off the rails for the plot
>"Yeah, they're in a cargo hold next to the one the bad guys had their ships docked in"
>Open the doors between the cargo holds and open the cells
>Critters are voracious, tough, and pack-oriented reptiles bred for fighting arenas on some planet
>VERY illegal
>Also very dangerous
>Critters leave de-facto prison
>See GMPC and goons
>Murder them
>I open the airlock remotely and they all get sucked out to suffocate and freeze
>We search ship logs for records
>GM gives us new plot hook
>We leave on fancy new piece of shit GMPC space ship
>We now own two space ships
>Life was good on Sunday

Too bad this only works to unlock stuff. A hacker probably would have been better, but having a skeleton key for human-engineered boats is pretty fun regardless.

I wonder if I could feasibly override something on a spooky alium boat. If I do, I'll post about it here.

I've been trying to find a homebrew MH ttrpg for years. I've been picking up things here and there that might fit, but nothing seems to be capturing the spirit of the Hunt.

What system is this?

GURPS

At the start, reward the party with success when they DO split the party to try and achieve two tasks at once in an adventure. Make the concept of splitting the party a viable tactic for success and make this a constant in the game, so that the party will separate more readily and soon take this for granted.

Once they do this, spring the ambush on them the next time they do it.

>Main villain sub boss that party liked from ACT II gets conscience swapped with /paladin/ /leader/ /most effective party member/ of good alignment.
>Their conscience is the only thing that swaps permanently and not completely between the two of them, meaning that each body retains their classes skills and abilities, as the "soul imprint" stays with the body.
>This means that while both keep their true alignment "orientation", so to speak, gods don't listen to their prayers, and for a while they get to cast and use powers from the opposite alignment (raise dead, cure wounds, smite law, etc). Also until their alignment changes naturally to their true selves, things like detect evil work as they did, at least for a while.
>Things like sense motive or zone of truth, however, can detect lies and inconsistencies. This conflict ought to put the party on edge.
>Their memories are somewhat muddled by the exchange, meaning they now know a lot about each other and have forgotten things about themselves. This will make it harder to prove there has been a swap in the first place.
>Even if they manage to slay or subdue the villain and ally with... the villain's former body, the villain has a unique set of abilities not open to PCs normally.
>This means that while the villain will certainly be more powerful, the team sinergy will be thrown to the winds, and the careful build the player was going to enact will be harder or almost impossible to reach on time now.
>Alignment conflict, as always, comes with a massive XP penalty, and some actions will be rendered ineffective for a few levels because of the alignment switch.
>If the player somehow manages to return to their original body (and recovers their lost memories), they will keep one or two extras from the villain, maybe a skill or feat, the powers related to a class, or have some hybrid path opened to them, both to compensate for their time entrapped inside a different character, and to reflect inner growth.

Stefania Ferrario

I've always wanted to play "what if the grue finds out" in mutants and masterminds

That sounds pretty cool. I've always wanted to have a situation where one of the players gets possessed by a powerful spirit that has its own agenda. The benefits of this would be that the character could, willingly or not, call on the power of the spirit temporarily to get out of a pinch. The downside is that the the spirit would also sometimes take control of the character depending on the situation, perhaps eventually culminating in a kind of battle in the mind situation where the character and the spirit vie for final control of the body with some nice rewards afterwards.

There was a Character in a Shadowrun book, a collection of short stories if I remember correctly, who had this. There was an inner struggle with the wolf spirit that gave him werewolf powers. Also, street urchin's used his car's anti-theft electric field to fry rats.

Thats comfy as fuck. If I run that, a few NPCs will die just to drive a point home.

>characters get to the final battle and lose
>but in the end they actually won because the treasure was the friendships they developed along the way

>noone is ever friends by the time the campaign ends