What happened?

What happened?

When the kickstarter for this was going, there was a thread every day going crazy over this game. But since it came out. Nothing.

Was it that bad?

I guess 7th Seas General?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!XQsUUb6B!UGJSfEFYswgOXYdjIQqdytAtqoArZYedQHUSOAttgws
u2mad.com/ebooks/7th Sea - Second Wave/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Wicksuckers only come out when there's shilling to be done. You won't see them until the next game release.

Does anyone have a pdf for it. I wanna run a pirate game.. but well fuck my options are basically nothing.

>When the kickstarter for this was going, there was a thread every day going crazy over this game. But since it came out. Nothing.

ITT: user discovers what the word "shill" means.

Also kind of interested in that.

As a backer, 7th Sea 2e is pretty bad. I would not recommend it all.

I believe the 1e pdfs are in the archive in the pdf share thread.

You don't seem to know what hype is.

mega.nz/#!XQsUUb6B!UGJSfEFYswgOXYdjIQqdytAtqoArZYedQHUSOAttgws

So, the thing is, a lot of people really wanted to see a new version of the Drama Dice system. Some people didn't even know what they were hype about, because 7th sea was pretty niche before. And Wick has some people who love him for some reason I cannot fathom.

However, what we got was a modified HotB system, which seemed more complex for no good reason. A modified setting that changed some of the really good stuff (Fate Witches really felt like a PC version of themselves, for instance). And the Quickstart was poorly written, which started the doomsaying before the kickstarter was even over.

So, nobody got what they really wanted. And, whenever someone starts a thread here,

I'm running a campaign currently using 7th Sea 2nd Edition. It's alright, I guess. I had high-expectations, since my group has only ever wanted to play Pathfinder (I tried GURPS in the past, but that just wasn't for us). I think rules-light systems are a good idea, but this game just goes way to far with that: what you can actually do on your turn, such as it is, is way too vague for easy gameplay.

The problem with 2e is that it's boring. Anytime you're rolling dice the stakes are so low that you almost have to wonder why you're rolling dice at all. Plus there's the whole "GM shreds your character sheet if you kill anyone" thing.

There's nothing that it does better than 1e. Which is almost an accomplishment in itself, but still. Ultimate disappointment.

Honor+Intrigue could also be a system for pirate adventure

Wow user is super sensible and reasonable.

People keep trying to sell me on the setting, but it sounds terrible.

I don't know if I'd call it "terrible", the original was "alternate Europe with a bit of magic" which is a good basis, as we are pretty familiar with Europe.

Not sure how much the second edition changed, but what little I read sounds like the politically correct police beat the shit out of it.

I probably have shit taste for liking the setting, but does Veeky Forums have a better ruleset to use?

This one is garbage, imo.

Just use the original ruleset with a few houserules. Mostly reducing the costs of things that are way overcosted like Swordsmen Schools and Sorcery. Drama Dice need a slight rework, for my groups I give them a pool of bonus exp equal to Drama Dice that are spent (by both the group and GM) that the group can distribute as they see fit.

Wait what? The GM shreds your sheet if you kill people?

Drama dice make schools of magic that use them either OP or very under powered depending on the GM.

My biggest problem is that the difference between having 2 and 3 finesse is immense.

The big problem with Sorcery is in most cases it is a double tax. You pay a whopping 40 hero points for Sorcery (Let's face it by RAW with the exceptions of Glamour and maybe Pyeryem Half-Blooded Sorcery is a joke and you'd be a fool to take it) and then you pay exp for the privilege of using that huge portion of your chargen. Buying Full Blooded Sorcery is the equivalent of buying a rank in all five attributes. Then you get to fall even further behind as you are effectively burning exp to change into a bear or whatever. Glamour is OP because it comes with free pseudo-DD to power it so they actually get to eat their cake. Another thing I experimented with to make Half-Blooded Sorcery worth taking is moving Adept Rank down to 3s in the Knacks from 4 to allow Half Bloods to actually get the meat of their Sorcery, like allowing a half-blooded Porte Sorcerer to actually be able to Walk. Twice-Blooded Sorcerers are a whole other kettle of bad design choices.

I will agree the power jumps when getting kept dice is huge, and a big part of why most of the big ticket items in chargen are comparably bad.

You;d think something like a Pirates RPG would have a huge wealth of options to choose from.

But damn, you're stuck with like basically nothing or mods to other systems.

Or that fur pirates game.

There's a corruption system with each point giving you a 10% chance of becoming a villain each time you get a point.

Killing somebody in self defense who has your family hostage is evil, so you get corruption. It's one of the stupid parts of the system I gloss over or ignore.

In general I"m stealing the settings for usage in other systems.

, It wasn’t shills.
It was that when the final product was released it was just as flawed and filled with Wickisms in the rules as 1e was, proving that the man is incapable of learning actual lessons.
It’s playable and my group enjoys it, but we do so after houseruling it a bunch, exactly like 1e. Much to our fucking annoyance.

50 Fathoms and Pirates of the Spanish Main for Savage Worlds are both good.

Honour + Intrigue is great (a BOL hack)

Arrowflight with Island Nations supplement

Green Ronin’s Skull and Bone d20

BRP Blood Tides if you want d100 and can deal with bad editing

>but we do so after houseruling it a bunch
What are some of your house rules if you don't mind sharing?

Forgot to add Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies

I think Skull and Bone and Pirates of the Spanish Main are the best of all these. I would suggest anyone interested to try either of these. I don't have any PDFs for either of them to share sadly.

They are in the snip DOT li /SaWo trove

>When the kickstarter for this was going, there was a thread every day going crazy over this game. But since it came out. Nothing.
One might be tempted to think that it was """viral marketing""" only.

>"""star game designers"""

u2mad.com/ebooks/7th Sea - Second Wave/

>You don't seem to know what hype is.
in this case a shill-induced marketing effort

Nah, not even.

There's also GURPS Swashbucklers, if you like GURPS (or just want a detailed list of media suggestions). It also does the Three Musketeers.

Thank god for rule number one.

I ignore pretty much all of the action economy of combat, and just turn the fucking game into a “Roll Dice=Success” mechanic rather then this “degrees of success pre-planned” Raises horseshit. Everything else I came up with off the cuff and don’t remember, because we’ve only played twice because as GMs and players we got really goddamn tired of looking up a rule and finding it was either overly complex or completely stupid.

So don’t look to me for fixes because we came up with them literally on the spot based on weather something made sense or not and didn’t bother writing it down. Needless to say we were disillusioned as fuck by the second session after hoping to god that this edition wouldn’t require as much houseruling as 1e did.

As a backer who has played the game I disagree to a degree. It's very left field from what I was expecting, and has some really cool mechanics, but over all it just doesn't quite compete to table favourites. Any day of the week I'd play it over the D&D/Pathfinder/Gurps dribble, but I think it doesn't stand up to PbtA with its 'fast' paced and lethal action or Fate for its nor its social/non combat events. It can do a lot your usual run of the mill bland rpgs can't, but searching the RPG oceans you can find much better, but much worse.

Some adaption a guy on RPG.net made, based on L5R 4th edition. Mostly compatibly with it.

Said he was going to make an better pdf but hasn't done so.

I tried reading through the combat example; it felt absolutely nothing like any book or movie it's pretending to be modeled after, and more like a particularly low-grade Saturday morning cartoon - like, a lesser Hanna-Barbara effort or something.
The 'fencing expert' is WHACKING PEOPLE WITH A WALKING STICK.

Speaking about kickstarter games, what happened with Degenesis?