Monocolored edition

Monocolored edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How can you make mono R or mono W competitive?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/88-land-keranos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Neheb and Sram.

Done.

norin and hokori

time for a new question

Top tier competitive? You don't.

Good? You use specific generals like Daretti or Sram.

If you use anything except for a handful of generals in monowhite, your deck will be absolute shit. In monored, you have a little more wiggle room because red is better at manipulating artifacts, but not much.

Ooh, I have one. How many decks is too many?

>tfw general tazri is a better zada deck than zada

Brothers Yamazaki but only if your playgroup allow you to play it as partner commander

>mfw izzet landfall works

Nono, Brothers Yamazaki are for 2 Headed Giant EDH.

you posted this last thread, what do you want?

I'm traveling to Dublin and Tokyo for work soon for several weeks each. Think it would be worth it to bring a deck or two along and try to find LGSes around?

Yeah yeah, we saw last thread. Never did see a list from you.

Except if you lose Zada once the deck fuck up and requires you to fall back on Ally tactics, which will be less effective given you've shoved a whole load of Zada stuff into it hoping that you can use it on her.

Dublin I don't know about, but as far as I recall EDH isn't very big in Japan, hence people finding Japanese precons at Wal-Mart and whatnot.

i think he means the keranos 87 lands deck that was making the rounds for a while

Ohh, that sounds cool. Don't suppose you have the list?

you get to play all the ramp and better zada cards with counterspells and reanimation as backup.

if you're not going off the turn zada comes out you're doing it wrong.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/88-land-keranos/

Thanks dude.

9 times out of 10 you really don't need those other colour's cards, which requires you to spend more effort and money fixing your mana base

Plus all the reanimation and counterspells and shit you're relying on are only going to dilute your deck.

Zada decks have tokens, pump/wincons, and rituals with enough similar effects that you don't have to worry about finding one fast enough.

Tazada takes a quick red nuke and turns it into a cold war.

>play with friends in high school years ago
>most of us are seniors, except one who is a friends little brother
>plays as good as any of us so it's fine
>summer is almost over, we'll all move away soon.
>the younger guy brings a new deck one night
>Brothers Yamazaki
>wft is this shit looks garbo
>young one pulls out another deck
>Brothers Yamazaki
>gives it to his older brother
>it's a going away present

It's a good card, user.

In general, which is superior:

Trench Gorger or Chasm Skulker?

tazri was an attempt to capture some of the hilarity ink-treader would be if it was a legal commander

that's really all i want, ink-treader to be legendary

trench gorger imo

In general, which is superior:

Apples or Oranges?

How are those two cards at all comparable?

oranges duh

it's a real glass cannon and you need the eldrazi if you want more chances to go off, but it's pretty fun and strong enough for most 75% metas

In his excitement to create a new thread, OP forgets the thread header. Typical red mage.

Man, I don't need these feels right now.

>Typical EDH player
ftfy

While I agree its broken what would it take for prime time to get unbanned? Changing the ability so that it must deal combat dmg to grab lands and reduce what it can grab to basics?

Unbanning Balance

either of those two. if it had both of those downsides i probably wouldn't even play it.

basically the fact that it's an ETB trigger that gets two lands makes it unbalanced

ulvenwald hydra and hour of promise both exist as balanced prime-times

you're not really playing the hydra to be a big body, you're playing it to flicker a bunch and vomit all your good nonbasics into play

prime-time is OP because it does that twice as well AND has it on a combat trigger

ulvenwald hydra is a balanced primeval titan

>Entire story of Amonkhet is just
>We.. wuz Kangz, but than an evil white man dragon came and declared himself God Kang and now we'z in the desert and shit.

I've been gone for five years and this is what the story has devolved into?

at least Hazoret a cute

the story wasn't any better five years ago

>"""Competitive""" Commander

On a separate note: I'm building Atraxa Infect as my third commander deck. I was thinking of focusing purely on putting +1/+1 counters on my own creatures and infect creatures. Would ya'll suggest mixing in some planeswalkers or something because of all the proliferate?

>implying the hunt for Karn wasn't cool
>implying Koth wasn't cool

Teferi > Koth > Kangz

How do you play against a lands deck?

Someone at the LGS built a Yidris-colored(vial smasher + thrasios) lands deck and it stomps my ass almost every time.

what's his win-con?

>it's shit because i don't like it
>my taste is objective fact

>orangefags
lmao.

He has several.

>urborg + vesuva + thesp + cabal coffers + torment of hailfire
>gitrog + dakmor combo
>prismatic omen + valakut/vesuva/stage
>he has titania and maybe omnath in there somewhere too, haven't seen omnath much so i'm not sure

It's shit because trying to tell a story in two blocks is shit user.

There's a reason why the most basic premise for a start is a three act structure. Going from start to finish with no inbetween will objectively make shit worse unless you're some amazing writer.

sounds like he could be stopped by a good old fashioned counterspell to his wincon

is he good at keeping a full hand or does he burn out quickly?

>Hapatra's card art has nagas
>her tokens are just normal snakes
Gay.

i think that's why they're going back to the three-set block

Good. Two sets just makes the story worse.

mate, there are more snakes in the art than there are naga

Thrasios can fill up his hand pretty damn quickly given the amount of mana he can generate, or put more mana on the board which is what he generally wants.

He has a lot of good blue draw and some decent tutors, and a kozilek to shuffle his graveyard back in if he wants to get anything back.

its like you expect the story would be good otherwise

I'm blind. Thought the snakes on her arms were jewelry or some shit.

sounds like he's got a tuned deck with some of the best colors and commanders in the format

there's no one answer unless you want to be that guy who runs the MLD

otherwise, just get on his level and kill him before he kills everyone

Three acts would have been objectively better than two

Amonkhet
>We wuz kangz n shiet
Hypothetical "Amonkhet Besieged"
>Nicol Bolas arrives and brain washes the old gods
Hour of Devastation
>Nicol Bolas defeats the gatewatch, kills several of the gods and declares himself God Kang

I can only expect things to be like
Amonkhet
>We wuz kangz n shiet
Amonkhet Besieged
>Nissa, Chandra and Liliana have a beach episode
Hour of Devastation
>Nicol Bolas defeats the gatewatch, kills several of the gods and declares himself God Kang

Thinking of making a Jarad Shadowborn Apostle deck, anyone got any ideas on which demons I should pick?

it doesn't help that nicol bolas is kind of a shitty villain

why jarrad and not shirei?

Jarrad gives me a fallback if the apostle fuel runs dry, I can go full voltron if I wanted with him. Also Green gives access to alot of good spells that get better with more creatures.

Bloodbond March is a pretty convincing reason

he is, but that the same time, the gatewatch are even shittier heroes

all of this

ixalan seems to be an alright set so far because it's pretty far removed from the ongoing jacetice league bullshit besides "oh no we're trapped here"

Did not know this existed, I feel like that and pic related will be a nice combo

>How can you make mono R or mono W competitive?
monored needs a blood moon commander. non-basic hate. it's one of my favorite, underutilized red abilities.

What am I doing this is 100% times better

>Nissa instead of Garruk
>Chandra instead of Koth
>Jace hasn't ate shit yet because he's the basic nerd fantasy of having a high enough IQ to understand Rick & Morty and cast spells

Gideon is kind of cool and I like Liliana but fuck those three in particular.

it's only one more mana and doubles the mana you get from your lands though

just play all three

Current List

// 100 Maindeck
// 5 Artifact
1 Skullclamp
1 Mox Diamond
1 Chrome Mox
1 Coat of Arms
1 Ashnod's Altar

// 48 Creature
40 Shadowborn Apostle
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Harvester of Souls
1 Pestilence Demon
1 Nullmage Shepherd
1 Eternal Witness
1 Overseer of the Damned
1 Primordial Sage
1 Soul of the Harvest

// 7 Enchantment
1 Cryptolith Rite
1 Mortal Combat
1 No Rest for the Wicked
1 Carnival of Souls
1 Zendikar Resurgent
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Bloodbond March

// 4 Instant
1 Dark Ritual
1 Culling the Weak
1 Heroic Intervention
1 Vampiric Tutor

// 30 Land
9 Forest
17 Swamp
1 Crypt of Agadeem
1 Bayou
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// 6 Sorcery
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Harvest Season
1 Dread Return
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Victimize

The writer have acknowledged that the Jacetice League didn't go down well, and are now steering far clear of 'superhero team' bullshit.

Will fix mana base of course this is just a draft of the deck so far.

is tappedout not working?

Elspeth instead of Gideon. Having Liliana and not having Elspeth as a foil is an absolute sin. Gideon has added the least to the gatewatch and he's been there from the start

thrumming stone

Not him but tappedout has been going slow all this week and people have been having problems with uploading/editing decklists. Its still working but at a much slower pace than it should

razaketh
grave sifter
creeping renaissance

>decks are too good to play at the casual table
>decks not good enough to play at the competitive table
>mfw

Anyone buy the Commander Arsenal pack? I want a Loyal Retainers and want to know how the foiling is.

>Razaketh
That would be a nice demon actually gonna take out overseer for him

>Grave Sifter
>Creeping Renaissance

Not so sure about these ones I kinda want my apostles to be either in the grave or on the field.

list of quality demons:
rune-scarred demon
ob nixilis, unshackled
reaper from the abyss
lord of the void
bloodgift demon

super secret tech:
secret salvage

damn this shit has been going on for days

>tappedout is down
>sentience sparked
>its now culminating all the decks in its database to create the ultimate edh deck
I warned you about using tappedout for prototyping your decks

Judging by its "Competitive" meter, the only thing we can know for sure is that it's going to be playing Teferi's Protection.

>Lin Sivvi
>98 plains
>Teferi's Protection
>100% competitive

what is the competitiveness of a deck on tappedout? what is it a calculation of?

It was broken and every deck was at least 90+ percent competitive. I assume it was going by the number of high cost cards in the deck.

percentage of nonland cards that are considered "competitive"

no idea how it determines that though

you ever stumble into a new combo in the middle of a game? i just discovered pili-pala goes infinite with heartsone.

what was the third piece of the combo?

This is how I felt with Zendikar. It "ended" really ubruptly and the mechanics weren't cohesive because they were split up akwardly. It's like they wanted to make the set tribal but did a bunch of stupid shit that broke it up to try and make it not explicit.
>Colorless cost isn't introduced until the second set
>Devoid is "Eldrazi tribal" but janky and disjointed
>Allies had tons of stuff but it was all shit
>Awakening spells aren't elemental tribal

The dream:
>BfZ is Ulamog and Kozilek creating a mess
>Shadows over Zendikar is Emurakul showing up and making things appear dire
>Oath is the Jacetice league using their different strengths to bide time for Nahiri to communicate with the roil to seal the Eldrazi with the laylines through nature rather than bending nature to their whims with Hedrons.
>Allies become protectors of the roil.

>Devoid mechanic doesn't exist.
>Instead of retarded devoid spells we get tribal spells. Awakening spells for elementals, tribal artifacts for allies,ect.
>Eldrazi of every brood can/would require colorless Mana, as well as Eldrazi spells. Ulamogs brood primarily Ingests and Kozilek brood primarily processes. Expanding the mechanic and making the sets cohesive with one another.
>Instead of awkward flip cards, Emmy's brood focuses exclusively on the Emerge mechanic. Polish it up so Emerge isn't exclusively used for cost reduction, but also as a requirement for certain creature abilities as an example (if this creature emerges from a creature with converted Mana cost X or more do a thing)

it was a kraj deck

if you can pay to untap it you can assume kraj goes infinite with it

Honestly, I think Retconing Nissa was the biggest offense they pulled to try to push that shit.

>Doesn't know how to use the subject box
>Makes a thread anyhow

Just.

Its possible to run a Manifest/pseudo competitive edh deck?

manifested cards are pretty good with brago or roon because they come back face-up