WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QIqi6YK0sVg
youtube.com/watch?v=oZtE6HWXg0E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shocked there was no WIP for a change.
First post in a while, getting washes done this even... hopefully.

I'm not in a position to contribute right now, so here's a guardsman to bump the thread

>56199486
Recommending this to be added to the book of grudges from last thread.

So i got one SCE as a sample from my LGS and as I'm not interested in AOS I wish to use it in my skirmish games.

Do you have some pictures of cool medieval-esque color schemes for him? I can always splash him with silver but I'm looking for cool inspiration.

How would you guys make this kind of wet mud effect? I tried gloss medium + weathering powder without that great of an result

Post progress gaylords whatcha working on? Have you learned any new techniques? Have you improved since your last model? Got steelheart painted and sadly put together I liked his armless form far more sadly

Artist's medium? Assuming I didn't have the textured stuff on hand, I'd get some extra thick gloss, texture it up with some sand & paint and use that. Paint some gloss varnish if that didn't end up wet looking enough.

Vallejo Dark Earth paste with some water effects, perhaps?

Which white spray primer should I use, and how do I avoid dusting/fucking up in general?

No progress since last time.

Thing is I want the mud itself to look like it's oozing with water, Gloss effect just make it look like it has a plastic seal or coat

Need to clean up a few last things then this part is done. Robes took the longest, so I think it'll go a bit faster now (as this was like 70% of all the robes on Cawl)

> new techniques
First time drybrushing to get a glow effect, works decently. The highlights on the robes are new for me too, and I'm really happy with how strong they contrast the shaded areas.

> improved since last
I think so, but I feel like my arms sometimes shake far worse than before. I need to try avoid painting on days where it's bad.

cloth looks very sexy, user. well done.
Personally not a fan of drybrushed glow effects, but thats just my personal taste. I prefer to glaze stuff like that.

A glaze sounds could work as well yeah, didn't think of that. I'll keep it in mind in case the drybrush isn't doing it for the other parts.

Must finish all of these models today (got around 13 hours to do it) before Armies on Parade tomorrow
Wish me luck

Trying to figure out what color I want the lenses on the banner bearer on the right. Always improving, but slowly.
Steelheart looks good though, kudos.

Youve got the time you can do it luck is only needed when there's only a chance you might make it
Red is always a nice choice for lenses imo. You're doing good user keep up the good work it looks great so far

Thanks, I was thinking red as well. Friend of mine also suggested doing a very dim brown, to make it look like dirty, translucent glass. Not sure how I'd pull that one off.

I'd say do drab brown from the citadel app and then lightly dry brush an off white color. Hopefully that should end up like this

Hrm, that could work. Gonna be tricky, but I like the idea. Thanks.

Hope I can get this done by tomorrow. Just need a ton of drybrushing now

Let me post the few SCE pics I have.

>Do you have some pictures of cool medieval-esque color schemes for him?

I'd go for dark brown as a main colour, or sienna. It's rarely used.

This sculpt is awful and literally older than I am. Painted it up in about two hours and it shows.

>This sculpt is awful
no u

I thought it has aged well but that's just me. I can understand and see where you are coming from

These new Space Zombies are good.

Sorry for shitty pic, and shitty bases.

How do they look as a group?

Finally had the chance to finish the Nurgle prince I was working on and prepped him for painting. Hopefully will actually start painting on Sunday.

Great sculpts that hold up well in my opinion. Scale is a little small compared to new stuff. Your painting doesn't exactly do it justice.

I think they're a little indistinct. You need to pick out some of the details of the model and have more variation in texture and colour. Currently it all blends into one washy drybrushed blob.

great IMO, but a little bit mono chromatic. Maybe highlight some details, or give a more metalic color to the nurgle emblems, skulls and weird piereced balls?

>How do they look as a group
halfway done

Pour a little water effect into recesses.

Those seams.. better fix em before you got further er with the skin,

Does anyone have more of these??

Working on some Forgeworld stuff today for my army

One of my 3 artillery carriages is in the background. Then I also have a Solar Auxilia trooper that I'm going to be using counts-as for my Militarum Tempestus squads.

My next post will be a better view of the solar auxilia/stormtrooper

I haven't shaded or highlighted the artillery yet. The paint I'm using is super thin already so it's taken me about 5 coats to get a solid color. You can see some discrepancies, which I'll fix once I put the model together. But hey, this is why it's called /wip/ :^)

Can't figure out how to flip it. Hopefully this works a bit better...

For this guy, I used a super high contrast effect to where I only put highlights where light would shine. It looks a little bit better in person and I need to glaze it down a bit, but so far they look pretty good.

So most of my brushed are beat up, down to two monster brushed and a vehicle drybrush, I'm considering this set, any other sizes/types I'd need for general use?

Once the thought occurred to me, I had to do it. Immediately.

10/10

started on frostgrave cultists. Didn't initially intend for a uniform scheme but happened out of lazyness.

nice color scheme. These fuckers look pretty sinister.

>Does anyone have more of these??

Here's one for snow.

mostly uniform works well for cultists, especially the hoods or cloaks. you can always vary the pants or detail elements.

for frostgrave "standard" soldiers, on the other hand, i think they benefit from having a diverse color palette.

yea good call, i'll probably switch up the gloves and trousers on the next batch

Hey guys. I'd like to kitbash a Pit Slaves gang for Necromunda. How should I go about it and what kits/bits would be the best to use? Thanks.

I was thinking Bloodreavers/Marauders and Ork Nobz mainly.

ok video
youtu.be/QIqi6YK0sVg

Yo I would love the SCE 10x more if they had helmets like that.

Neat metal.

Looking forward to seeing it painted!

You could look around for alternate helmets. The market is there.

Oh yo nice. Any recs? I honestly do wanna expand on my Free Peoples for AoS and make a bit less German units

5 Hrs progress

Just bought an airbrush (and compressor, cleaner, and cleaning pot) for the first time.
It'll be here in a week or two.

What sort of project should I do for practice? Just get some cheapo plastic army men, or something?

More progress, I don't think it looks good but at least I learned a lot about foam and terrain.
How bad is it? Stuff is still drying

Another shot

Noice, keep it up user, I believe in you.
It's not bad at all, but a tad plain. Do you plan on adding stuff in addition to the models?

I stripped and re-did a bunch of old rhinos. Could also practise priming/zenithal priming on some metal minis since they're less hassle to strip

I did this exact same thing with Rhinos and borrowed a friends old as fuck land raider and he let me work on that

You offer to prime shit for your community.
Teaches you a lot about control, and it's nearly impossible to fuck that up with an airbrush.

Teaches you the basics

Once comfortable offer to do base-coats and learn finer control, soon you'll have to charge for it to have time for you won work.

>adjusts glasses
>points finger upward
>here's the thing

why's this cunt irritate me so much?

youtube.com/watch?v=oZtE6HWXg0E

>Do you plan on adding stuff in addition to the models?
I dont actually, honestly in retrospective i should have scattered small things around like skulls and bones to break up, next time I guess

Post your best model as to try to convince me to start that army

Why is that cunt irritate you so much?

Because he babbles and hand-waves too much and doesn't get to the point and use examples enough.

Because he takes 15 minutes to make a point that could be done in 2. Sometimes less.

It's simple
But I liked the idea of a tacti-cool rubric

Welcome to YouTube content creation?
Look at people who are popular among the vloggers.
Daily events that can be summed up in two minutes tops.
People just want to listen to people talk about shit they care about and have a little passion.

I cleaned up the robes as I said, here's the before and after of the right side. I think I can finally call this part done.

Just finished assembling the rest of these dudes. The weapons and backpacks are magnetized, so I can use them as assault Marines or terror squads in HH or raptors or chosen in 40k. The primed one to the right was my test model. I might change the arm pose.

I never would have thought of that. Either option. Thank you both!

Looks like they used still water.

Looking good, user

I fucking love GWs red line, is that a khorne red base into mephiston red and highlighted by fire dragon bright?

Why the hell didn't I think of that?
Those look great, user. I'm glad to see some NL players are willing to use the old bat-helms.

Are you planning on using any chainglaives?
They're pretty easy to convert using Grey Knight halberds and old Chaos Marine chainswords. The official FW ones just look flimsy to me.

Fuck, this are beatiful. Great job user.

That is some damn fine fleshtone work, user. I'm impressed.

New to the hobby here, looking into painting my first models, but the question arises: where should I get all the paints I need?

I didn't use any khorne red.

Mournfang brown > mephiston red > agrax > mephiston > evil sunz > fire dragon bright

For some reason, mournfang brown makes the mephiston red way stronger (works better than khorne red below it)

Never tried mournfang actually, other than that my redcipe is the same, maybe I'll try the mournfang out next time I'm doing up some of my chaos

Nice job though, he'll make a great centerpiece

Local game store

Finished up the board as far as it goes.
Added a few flowers, not to happy with the yellow ones, but I really like the purple ones, and they still add to the board. Ended up setting it up in the store today already, because I didn't want to carry it around the city on a saturday morning. Three more boards were already there, and even though mine I have these stone statues on here mine is the most colourfull thus far. Which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Pictures aren't that great, only a lot.

I guess my best model right now would be my mask of slaanesh, even though I'm not fully happy with her. This model may not be the best representation for a normal slaanesh army either.

How'd you do the base - plasticard? Looking for a similar marble paving look for my guys too

Great work user, good luck tomorrow

Vallejo Game Paint is pretty good, as are the ones from Privateer Press (called P3).
The easiest to get your hands on would probably be Games Workshop paints. They're not bad, but its a bit expensive and the paint pots are shit. I think they're designed to ensure the paints dry out after a year or two so you have to buy more.
All three of those brands have a wide selection of colors and can mix/blend pretty easily.

Any shop selling wargaming models (40k, Warmachine, etc) will almost certainly sell at least some painting supplies. Just stay away from Games Workshop brushes, base coat sprays, and other paraphernalia. The quality isn't bad, but GW puts a HUGE price tag on anything they slap their name on.

I'd avoid regular craft and hobby paints, for the most part. They can work, but rarely have much variety of colour, so you have to get really, really good at mixing colours perfectly if you want to use something unique for a large number of models, otherwise shit just won't match.
They also won't necessarily mix well with water, which is a must for getting thin, smooth coats of paint on small models.

Avoid Testors brand paint, and any other paint used for model cars and such, like the fucking plague. That oily mess may look good on a hotrot model, but it will fucking ruin anything else it touches and is nigh impossible to remove. I just wish child me was told that back when he was getting ready to paint up his first squad of Eldar Guardians.
Those poor, poor models.

Come to Papa

i love this

Cheers lads.

After doing that photo (thewholelot) I added more, because Indians are fun.

Pic related.