How do we fix the community?

Fix rpg.net, fix OPP etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.dailypress.com/1996-01-21/news/9601210028_1_gaming-community-vampire-gamers-guild
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the deal with rpnet?

For many it's still THE rpg forum and the keystone of the hobby as a whole.

1. Get real life friends
2. Play with real life friends

Congratulations, you've just fixed all problems with the community.

There's almost 1:1 correlation between rpg.net staff and Onyx Path. WoD suffers because of their SJW culture.

>fix rpg.net

What's there to fix? It works perfectly well as a containment board

/thread

You can never fix it because censorious and spiteful cliques that argue incessantly are a function of human nature, not a particular website.

see
then stop bumping this shitpost of a topic.

With fire and brimstone

(Me) (Deleted)
please don't commit slander

Leave the tards in their tardhole alone. We don't want them spreading.

What are you afraid of? I'd love to see them in the wild, confronted with the inadequacy of their madness.

I don't want to talk about real world sex politics in my elfgames

Let them have their safe space where their idpol can fester. I would love to see them turn into a garbage fire, but it must be by their own hand without any meddling, like that one censorious website that collapsed in on itself two weeks ago.

I'm not afraid, they're just goddamned annoying.

It's a waste of energy when I want to play games and talk about playing games.

Let RPG.net serve as the proverbial tard wrangler of the tabletop community

The best thing we can do is to just cut all ties with the normies and the SJWs. Stop buying and playing their games, stop going to their conventions, stop frequenting their game stores. Let them have their spaces, without us they'll eventually just wither and die out. We only perpetuate their existence by continuing to associate with them.

I thought WoD's big problem was they sheltered abusers and toxic goth fuck boys and facilitating really ridiculous and creepy behavior in the Mind's Eye Society?

I'm worried we're beyond the point where that will work anymore. It feels like the normies that jumped in because they liked Critical Role or the Adventure Zone actively outnumber us, if 5e's sales are anything to by

It scares me, I feel like an outsider in my own spaces now.

Same thing, surely.

Anyone willing to bet against the inevitability of it going out the way of NeoGaf?

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

yeah fuck off

The same way we fix /pol/ and /leftypol/, we ignore them.

"Normies" are often easily controled by SJWs in this kind of hobbies though.
rpg.net as the largest rpg forum is the most mainstream one and they have actual SJWs mods, giving them a lot of influence, probably the only real influence they have outside social media.

What site was that?

Oh, but they want you out, so you're just giving screaming kids what they want. Unless you're one of their bunch and in reality want us out.

Yeah as opposed to anonymous fags posting in the middle of internet's rectum they look credible (they aren't).

And more and more "normies" are getting sick of the "progressives" as more and more are realizing how crazy they have become. It turns out that antagonizing one of the largest chunks of the national population is ideological suicide, and all it does is breed a stronger reactionary counter-culture.
Unless WotC, Paizo, or other tabletop companies start actively antagonizing groups of people or starts going full-tumblr with genders, ignore them and do something better with your time.

I don't want to talk about it anymore because I want it to stay dead. To give you a clue, Boogie2298 of all people was banned from it.

Back in 2012 I would have agreed with you.
But that battle has already been lost.

Better to focus on places it's possible to save and with luck they'll tear themselves apart in radical fervour.

I don't like /pol/acks either though.

>I don't want to talk about it anymore because I want it to stay dead. To give you a clue, Boogie2298 of all people was banned from it.
Sorry, first time I hear about it. Must have been way outside my hobby. I'm curious about that "collapsing in on itself".

Won't work. You need to send them a clear message why you don't buy their shit. Otherwise they don't even know they're losing sales.

Especially if you're female or a person of color. That would just break their hearts.

see

Well I don't give a fuck about /pol/ and /leftypol/. They have nothing to do with RPGs and they don't poison my hobby.

Neither do I.
I could probably talk about my issues with /pol/posting and the potential solutions and subsequent problems they may bring, and try to find other solutions or eliminate bad ones, but that's more appropriate for /qa/. Also they usually only emerge when they see anything perceived as "SJW".

Let's just stop there and not turn this into /v/. All the dead can do is distract from the now.

You may be right. After all, all it takes is one retard sperging out on twitter and those who control the narrative can set that as a reason to ignore others' complaints. If we start speaking out about what we actually have a problem with while allowing nuance, rationality, and more willingness to hear the other out, maybe we can resolve some conflicts and compromise. Hell, the compromises might be minimal for all sides and we won't have to deal with any more of these misconceived implications of the other.
Maybe it's my optimism talking, but the worst case scenario is that if we become the calm, flexible, yet coherent ones, more people will eventually turn against the fanatics.

By posting about our rap... port with their mods?

Like "stop buying and playing rpgs, stop going to conventions, stop frequenting game stores"?

I get the impulse, I grew up on that site and had no idea how fucked up it was.

But I think its too far gone and not worth the effort. It was never a good site to began with. Its a bunch of mentally ill sexual outcasts given a platform to build cliques.

Make it anonymous. You can have thread IDs for shit like play by post but that's all you get. No more sucking moderator cock, no more sucking dev cock, no more virtue signaling. Problem solved.

For the reviews section of the site, make the reviewers actually play the game before reviewing it, instead of just commenting on the production values.

I grew up there too.

RPG.net almost makes me wish that /pol/ had an interest in elfgames.

for the most part I have no problems with RPGnet, I spend about as much time there as I do here on Veeky Forums

besides there's way more morons on this site than over there anyways

>I don't like /pol/acks either though.
same, indeed most of the time they're way more annoying than SJW types are, Veeky Forums would be a better place without /po/ or /b/

I think both extremes are bad?

Niches will form for us. No worries.

>Veeky Forums would be a better place without /po/ or /b/
be grateful that we have those containment boards

Stop using shit forums made by and for plebs.
The people who give a shit about the cancer boards like RPG.net, OPP and Paizo are irrelevant anyway.

>be grateful that we have those containment boards
well I'm thinking of a hypothetical where Veeky Forums has a way of truly perma-banning people(like say it being able to identify devices people are posting from and banning those devices, not just the current way Veeky Forums bans people by IP address)

"Containment board," my ass. They're a like roach motel with no gluetrap: they're just fucking roach beacons, making standards worse everywhere else too. Containment boards don't even work on sites that have actual permanent named accounts, in what universe could they ever work on an anonymous imageboard with lax rule enforcement?

>For many it's still THE rpg forum
>Active Members: 12,036
Not that many apparently.

Yeah, just like he said. They're typical SJWs.

>WoD's big problem was they sheltered abusers
It was literally a recruiting ground for pimping senpai.

It's wild how so many of the most strident soft boys get outed for DMing dick pics and people talking about how you shouldn't be alone in a room with them.

articles.dailypress.com/1996-01-21/news/9601210028_1_gaming-community-vampire-gamers-guild

I miss articles like this popping up every now and then, the VtM was some hilarious shit.

If that's what their social circles are like, then the crusade against 'creeps' and 'sexists' makes a lot more sense.
They just assume everyone is like that.

There really are many creeps in their staff. McFarland was the tip of an iceberg. Guess what others hide.

One word: Zeea.

Make one of the admins make passes at women or other creepy shit, then leak it to the public, and then the site will grind to a halt or shutdown, and **hopefully** the less shitty members left over will make a "better site".
Seems to work for everyone else.

What did Zeea do apart from being whiny and annoying?

How did you finally escape, user?

>Active Members: 12,036
Just shows how small this hobby is. And rpg.net works hard to make it smaller and smaller.

Yes and no. The hobby isn't huge, but RPG.net isn't indicative of that. Its just more fractured with more traffic being on subreddits, official forums, and tg.

Rpg.net has always been a little niche, with its darlings being small games no one buys.

Can you tell me just what is wrong with RPGnet? I've lurked there and read game reviews for years and I've heard it's an awful community. But what is actually the deal with them? Corrupt moderation?

I'd like to know who the fuck Arachne is. She makes a big deal out of being a prolific RPG writer, and then pretends that someone will murder her if her identity is ever revealed.

I'd love to avoid buying anything she's written, but that's hard to do when its a fucking secret.

I would say that what happened is that their off-topic forum (Tangency) took over a site meant for discussing RPGs. The moderation team is tightly knit and extremely hostile to anyone who doesn't kow-tow to them. For example if the mod team makes a mistake (which anyone does eventually) and you point it out, you'll probably cop a temp ban for daring to question them instead of a sane response of "Whoops, my bad, let me unban / unwarn the person".

RPG.net always had policies against shitposting and personal attacks, which were actually quite good at keeping the signal-to-noise ratio up. It's a real shame because for a long while it was a great place to interact with RPG developers directly, get feedback on how to run or play in games, and mine the massive threads full of people riffing on ideas. But as moderation tightened up from 'we keep things from devolving into /b/' to 'bow down to us' a lot of the quality posters left. This caused some very public fallings out with some RPG developers and reviewers like the guy that runs the Alexandrian.

The other part is that RPG.net is extremely left-wing these days. As a centrist it's pretty off-putting that any discussion or facts that don't support their echo chamber are just banned. For example if you were to complain (in the off-topic forum) about men getting a raw deal in custody courts you would be banned, whereas if you complain about some equally legitimate woman's rights issue you'll get a sympathetic ear. Veeky Forums is obviously further right than I care for, but we're pretty good about shouting down both the idiots on the left and the right here.

I usually find the extremely, extremely niche subreddits to have the best and apolitical content these days. Places like /r/minipainting where people just post their miniatures, get feedback, and that's the sum total of what goes on there.

Rabid SJWs (as in actual SJkeyboardWs) setting the tone.
You can still find the occasional decent thread about gaming there, but you'll need top-notch bullshit filters installed.

>For example if you were to complain (in the off-topic forum) about men getting a raw deal in custody courts you would be banned, whereas if you complain about some equally legitimate woman's rights issue you'll get a sympathetic ear

What's your custody arrangement, user?

Ha, I saw it happen to someone else. I got a vasectomy in my early 20s and my girlfriend uses an IUD. There's something like a hundredth of a percent chance both could fail.

How do we fix theminiaturespage.com?

Veeky Forums isn't really right of center, it's just the /pol/ incursions pollute the statistics and poison the well

From what I've seen - probably mostly from the before time - RPG.net is one of the few places really old grogs - like, guys that banged with Arneson and Gygax in Lake Geneva - occasionally post. From that, I'd figure that half the off-topic shit would be guys bitching about their bitch ex and family court.

But that's not really the case. What's the vector for the heavy-handed moderation? Is it a bunch of rapidly-aging Gen-Zer's being performatively woke? Was there a coup at some point?

>Veeky Forums would be a better place without /po/
Hey come on! What did /po/ ever do to any of us?
Now /pol/ on the other hand, I'm starting to get really sick of those guys. I want them to have their place to post about conspiracies and white nationalist horseshit, but it's gotten too paranoid and uppity, especially after r/The_Donald started flooding in (they also shitpost on /v/, so watch out for those fuckers). I'm willing to discuss controversial politics if it's Veeky Forums-related, but I have no patience for those who just want to sell their bullshit. Ideologues are a waste of thought, and many of them have no sense of appropriateness, which is why you get r/T_D shitposters acting like a bunch of right-winged SJWs by awkwardly inserting their unwelcome politics because their passions have been consumed by their own obsession with politics.

It reminds me of those anti-gay preachers that later get busted in doing sexual acts with another man, except unlike with those guys, these male "feminists" are actually hiding something bad.

Don't pull any schemes. We don't want any trouble.
Besides, it's way more telling to everyone when a "safe space" collapses in onto itself with zero meddling, especially from /pol/. It sets a better impression on how bad the culture of these pseudo-progressives really are. Just take a look at what happened two weeks ago.

I've always thought that all boards except /pol/ were whatever-Libertarian, and /pol/ was Right-Authoritarian.

People want to feel special by having their own group with inside knowledge. Conspiracy theorists, radical feminists, /pol/acks, and other "woke" groups simply want to have their own secret "truth" to eventually unearth.
That's my hypothesis.

*Gen-Xers, durr.

Its definitely not gen-Z. Rpg.net moderation has been SRS-level before SRS existed. Its been a collection of transgendered autistic furry feminists since at least 2004. Back then you'd only see this really reflected on Tangency and OM though.

>But that's not really the case.
Because those guys are starting to die off.

I have a copy of the Colony Drop fanzine floating around with an essay about how entwined anime and nerd culture was with the Furry Fandom back in the day. I think it might be a Rosetta Stone for figuring out some of this shit, since the Fandom weirdos were extremely online back in the day, building the framework for the modern RPG internet environment when try-hard high school goths were still running Vampire LARPs and CS Majors were trying to get Planescape campaigns off the ground.

We need to white van a couple of decrepit alt.fan.furry legacy posters with home-made Robin Hood fursuits molding in their closet and extract an oral history of this shit they've wrought before a lifetime of moral decrepitude and poor lifestyle decisions consign them to the void.

Veeky Forums wants to do normal shit and be left alone, which is considered alt-right neo-nazism in the modern political climate.

Being apolitical makes one simultaneously an alt-right warrior and a social justice warrior. It's funny to me how this culture war has claimed the passions of so many people.

A lot of us do. We really really like 40k. We just play with each other though. Our tables "are always full... fuck off." I have started playing with the same 4 people, 20 years ago. We have only added 3 people out of over at least a hundred gamers that asked to join.

FWIW, as a Leftist, the Left does seem to be moving away from siloed individualist Culture War into something broader. Even a lot of the feminists have started to calve off and talk about systemic things like the minimum wage, as well as just straight-up name-dropping people that will try to put a finger in you if you're alone with them in an elevator, instead of insinuating exceedingly nebulous things about rape culture.

You're always going to have people putting on the [undefined gender and sexuality] hat and proselytizing and shaming with the fervency of a new convert, even if they inevitably end up dropping it a few years or months out. But that's been happening for generations, and it seems like it's diminishing as the end-state nowadays.

Setting aside /pol/ incursions, I'm not sure who'd look at the board and muster more than a meh, unless they're a rarefied Tumblr pink-hair whose new gender inflection is incredibly important, at least until they graduate.

Literally every part of this post is nonsense.

You want to break it down for me, skipper?

What do you mean?
From what I can tell:
>feminists are beginning to move on from "muh male power fantasy" to actually trying to solve problems such as power dynamic abuse in the workplace
>antagonism has always been floating around, and it's actually starting to phase out again
>/pol/ is not much to get flustered about
And I mostly disagree with it.
Social justice supporters are even easier to bait into delirious screeching, and /pol/ has become more obnoxious thanks to r/T_D newfags thinking that every board is fucking Trump Haven. However, I do have solid hopes that people are becoming more aware of how crazy many individuals in the social justice crowd can be. Unfortunately, I worry that the boy who cried wolf, in his unwitting self-fulfilling prophecy, has summoned the very wolf he was being unbelievably alarmist about.

RPG.net isn't bad if you only stick to the D&D sub-forum. Then again I never get involved in online arguments so it mostly passed me by.

So in other words you are retarded and don't know what you are talking about.

I'm not If anything I don't know what he is talking about.

I feel like rpg.net is in the thread now, and they're just as retarded as I remember.

We have a community. It's here. Why do we have any obligation to RPG.net to "fix" them?

>Actively distancing themselves from special identity snowflakes is how they roll on RPG.net

What's the point of this thread, then, fag?

To demonstrate what we always knew: cancerous elements from other communities are infiltrating our site

Fix the site so that it doesn't go offline at midnight

Yeah it started when all the stormfags arrived

Like, /pol/, or RPG.net? You've lost me.

For a time it was something of a point of contact with industry leaders, and an incubator for new companies. Meaning that new-ish rpg things get heavily influenced by the politik.

Of course there are counter examples like rpg.net liking 4e and 5e ending up as the Great Refusal of all things 4th edition.

Your post really fascinates me. You see now all these huge monolithic internet forums with secretive power structures dating back almost two decades, and it's the same cliques of moderators in IRCs and nepotistic positions across the internet, and you get to wondering, how did this start?

I never really did much online discussion. I was always more interested in the topic being discussed than the discussion itself, which I think is a central conflict of interest in forum moderation. The people who love, say, atomic rockets, might have 10,000 posts on atomic rockets, but their interest in that has nothing to do with policing or moderating the site itself. The people most interested in a hobby would rather just do the hobby than take on the, frankly large, burden of moderation.

>public website
>infiltrated

no

>public nation
>infiltrated

no

Sharia

What did they mean by this?

They're LARPing as /pol/ without having been around long enough to know what /pol/ sounds like.

Sharia is the solution

>anti-degeneracy with proscribed punishment
>nonwestern so should be acceptable to RPGnet

Everyone wins