Competitive Modern General

Autism edition

What's your favorite control deck that's ever been in the format?

Playing?
Hating?
Thoughts on the meta?
Meme tech?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn
mtggoldfish.com/deck/759911#paper
channelfireball.com/articles/budget-all-in-boros-dinos/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-09-14
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-08-18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ban lightning bolt

Why? People don't even use it for spot removal anymore

Unban Punishing Fire.

Despite knowing full well it's not very good UB faeries had and always will be my favorite control deck. It's just fun to pilot. Fatal push helped the deck a lot but it's still just barely FNM quality.

What would make faries viable? It seems like it gets a lot of help with unbanning bitter blossom and visions and the printing of push.

Jeskai Nahiri Control

idgaf if it was bad, resolving Nahiri and dropping Emrakul in 2 turns is sweet

Some actual good faeries being printed. Look at how many good elves, merfolk or humans exist and compare that to Spellstutter, Vendilion, Bitterblossom and sometimes Mistbind. Not saying Faeries needs to just play creatures and tap them, but they do need more tricks they can pull and finally playing cavern with them would be great Also, cavern could really have been printed without saying "creature spell"

But let's face it, we're probably never going back to Lorwyn so it's unlikely they'll ever get anything good.

I just got perma banned from the magic twitch stream for saying "CYA NERD" after someone got blown out by a settle the wreckage

why is this community such faggots

The anti-toxic crowd are toxic as fuck.

Any tips on building the GREATEST clue deck of all time?
>Tamiyo J
>Tireless Tracker
>Erdwal
>Graf Mole
Whatelse? Combos?

>competitive modern general

there was a splendid rec tireless tracker amalgamation someone here made that was pretty sick as fuck.

I dunno if Grafmole is in a good spot my guy...

I would like lowryn to return because those elves were sweet.

The elves back then were great, but do you seriously think nu-WotC wouldn't just neuter the fuck out of them? Just look at Ixalan man, the tribal shit is all so tame. There isn't a single remotely playable lord in a fucking TRIBAL set.

... Yeah, but a man can hope. There would be one or two playable cards if they returned, but I hope they keep the same art style.

>>competitive modern general

Lorwyn sold badly, it's probably with Kamigawa as "sets we mention but never bring back".
That and its story is pretty much over.

>no return to Lorwyn
>no return to Kamigawa
Meanwhile WotC is busy releasing sets about techno-pajeets and dude dinosaurs lmao.

I think the Kamigawa set could be big again. Japanese culture is always popular, and I think the reason it didn't sell well before was the low power level.

>lightning bolt isn't used
When will this meme end? It's still a top played card, often having the most copies out of all card in a tournament.

It's not that bad, people always talk about it only having Jitte, but there's also Kira, Through the breach, Kataki, Goryo's, Gifts and a few other cards you can argue about.
Certainly more good cards than fucking Amonkhet or Ixalan have shown so far.

>about to land a sweet job splicing fiber optic cabling
>will be able to afford decks that aren't sub-$500
>have been wanting Lantern Control ever since I heard about it
>worried that Ensnaring Bridge or Mox Opal will get banned

Should I just wait until the next ban update before assembling the pieces? Knowing my luck I'll get the deck assembled, play one game, lose all friends in the store, then go home and find out one or both of those cards have been banned.

UW Control is best control

Gonna play devils advocate here and say it's pretty likely that all the good lords will be in rivals next year.

They're unlikely to get banned, you're safe. Bridge is even something they might reprint given how long it has been.

Modern is most competitive format so I figure I'll ask here.

Is there any reason Top 8's in Magic shouldn't be divided into winners and lossers brackets? The only negative I see is that in professional tournaments it would pretty much double the time since WotC would still want every Top 8 match to be streamed and featured.

Because no one is really a loser when you're having fun

Tourneys are long enough as is, I think gathering the top 8 W-L rates and doing it as is seems fine. It would take extra time to figure out who in the 5-8th place or 3-4th place ends up in that spot and probably not worth. 1st, 2nd, semifinalists and top8ers seems like a decent enough way to distinguish rank

Is a more creature-oriented build viable, or is Gideon just that good?

reposting shitbrew, post fellow sweet decks pls

also for a thread topic, WotC pretty much confirmed they'll be doing an unban, which is pretty neat. I think Ancestrals price will spike after BBE is off the list but idk if cascade temur shit will actually be good.

there's a lot of u/w decks with creatures, depending on what tempo you're taking the game you can go geist, queller, etc.

but this anons deck is not the deck for that, this is pure lategame durdle without a (non-snapcaster) creature. Elixir is the true wincon, the planeswalkers, colonnades, snaps and emrakul are the alt-wincons

Wouldn't really be control then.
Also yes, Gideon is very good.

I think it'll be closer to Temur good stuff than anything. Honestly, BBE will give Jund a boost, but not much else. Probably make Jund Death Shadow tier 1

What's the point of this deck? Also what about Gitrog Monster?

you try and get enough mana from casting Early Harvest to loop Dark Petition and Seasons Past for inf mana via ramp and enchantments, then finish off by Petition for Pact

It's almost Christmas time so here's what a hypothetical turn 3 kill would look like
>land + Search for Tomorrow
>land + Explore
>land + Heartbeat of Spring, tap remaining lands for 4 mana and cast Early Harvest, untapping all lands with 1 mana floating. Cast Dark Petition into Season's Past, recast Explore, recast Harvest, then untap all lands and recast Dark Petition for Season's Past, this time making mana each loop, finishing the loop with a Damnable Pact for 15000

Jund Death's Shadow would presumably run 4 Thoughtseize though, would a Bloodbraid into Seize be much better than a Ranger of Eos drawing you Shadows? Maybe would push Shadow but I'm hoping that deck runs enough cheap reliable cards that a random

Making a burn deck to slowly upgrade over time, how does mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn look? Will probably switch the elementals to 4 Eidolons and 4 Grim Lavamancers first.

I don't know why the budget list doesn't have Swiftspears, they're worth it.
The icky cards in Seths list:
magma jet: 2 mana shock is not what you want in redundancy.dec
keldon marauders: worse than Hellspark and arguably worse than any 2cmc bolt like Skullcrack
flames of the bloodhand isn't half bad as a 1of, i used to run 1 ball lightning as the 3cmc meme of choice

Swap Jets for Swifty, and swap the Keldons for Eidolons whenever you have the chance to upgrade.
I can't exactly recall but I think this was my list:
18 mountain
3 vexing devil
4 swifty
4 spark elemental
4 bolt 4 riftbolt 4 spike 4 shard
4 searing blaze
2 skullcrack
4 eidolon
4 hellspark
1 ball lightning
i might be misrembering the vexing devil/skullcrack/hellspark count as i remember running a burst lightning at one point like an idiot

Yeah I thought it was weird he didnt run swiftspears, thanks for the list.

ok standard general doesn't exist

brian demars stole my shitty meme deck and my shitty hazoret tech
mtggoldfish.com/deck/759911#paper
channelfireball.com/articles/budget-all-in-boros-dinos/

You'll find I in fact invented this deck, and I have the paper work to prove it

the hazoret tech is NOT a coincidence

It's literally in a quarter of all standard deck

more like a quarter of all standard decks are RDW

name one deck that isn't RDW that plays hazoret

about 14% of standard or so. BR aggro for one.

>RDW with a light splash of black
Do you think decks are completely different when they only run 3 Chandras instead of 4?

>light splash
Listen buddy I understand you're mentally retarded because you play standard, but you did not invent any hazoret tech. Putting big expensive mythics in your deck was what wizards planned the moment they started design for ahmonket.
Now you can go make a standard thread of your own so people there can tell you you're a retard, or you can leave. But you can't post standard here, Competitive Modern General is in the subject for a reason.

Dont get shitty with us just because your format is garbage

I don't play standard.

that guy wasn't me, we have different typing styles
> you did not invent any hazoret tech.
my list is from before B/R aggro and mardu were playing hazoret but w/e idc

So congrats, you discovered the spicy tech before everyone else. You want a fucking medal or something?

>So congrats, you discovered the spicy tech before everyone else. You want a fucking medal or something?
that's basically how deckbuilding works

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-09-14
Hazoret was in RDW prior to you posting your deck list on MTGO. I can provide deck lists long before this as well. Stop kidding yourself, you can't build decks for shit.

>Hazoret was in RDW prior to you posting your deck list on MTGO.
WOAH YOU DON'T SAY

my post was about putting hazoret in decks that aren't RDW you retard

>my list is from before B/R aggro and mardu were playing hazoret

neither of which are RDW genius

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-08-18
Here you go, black red aggro running hazoret. You know you just change the date in the URL and you can find previous MTGO lists easily right? I'd find your deck in there, but unfortunately they only record the lists that win.

ok why the fuck didn't you just say this

>favorite control deck in the format
My shitbrew Eldrazi deck
>Playing
Dimir Eldrazi toolbox. I actually did well, went 3-1 taking a match off of goblins, nahiri, and some BG delerium brew. Only lost to Eldrazi Tron.
>Hating
Hand disruption. People always top deck it when I need them not to.
>Thoughts on meta
Pretty good honestly. This is the most I've enjoyed modern since I started playing it. I see a decent variety of decks (though my LGS is quickly becoming all Eldrazi Tron decks).

>Meme tech
Delay turn 2 into wasteland strangler turn 3 feels so good

I really hope that, if a ban is thrown out for something Eldrazi Tron related, it's literally anything except for Eldrazi temple.

Fuck, they could hit thought-knot for all I care.

Because the whole point is the exact deck list running hazoret isn't relevant. Putting hazoret in an aggro shell isn't an achievement, it's not something special you invented.

Sideboard cards don't have to be just for stopping your opponent from doing things, but also for vastly accelerating the process of killing them, right?

Would Anathemancer work against Tron? Their lands are still non-basic under a bloodmoon.

1RB
When Anathemancer enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls.
Unearth 5RB
2/2

Wow that sounds great, it'd almost deal as much damage as Lathnu Hellion.

>It's a 3 drop
>Therefor you play it on turn 3
>They never get up to 6 lands

It depends on the deck, but if you're a RB blood moon deck you're probably lots of removal, discard, blood moons, and very light on threats. If this is your only threat how long does it take to kill the opponent? maybe 5 damage etb, then 8 attacks? It's just really slow.

>It enters
>They take 2-3 damage
>Next turn they take 2 damage assuming they didn't hit Tron and play something dumb
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Are you suggesting that Blood Moon isn't good enough on its own against Tron?

Blood moon is not good enough on its own against Tron

Also Anathemancer would only be dropping when it's hitting them for at least 4 on ETB

The real win-cons in the deck are 3 Bitterblossom, 2 Kalitas, 2 Goblin Dark Dwellers, and 1 Olivia, but they aren't instant wins by any stretch, against Tron anyways. Bitterblossom does work, but even a turn 2 bitterblossom can still walk into a hardcast All is Dust

I'm trying out Greater Gargadon right now, since my deck takes ages to win currently, and it gives me asymmetric value when I have to cast Damnation. So Anathemancer would instead become ETB damage, then it turns sideways until I need it as a chump blocker?

would anathemancer be good enough on its own in a r/b burn deck seeing how many nonbasics most decks play

>That and its story is pretty much over.
fuck the story, make comfy shrot stories of the jacetice league having fun with the lorwyn tribes.

>no rabblemaster

Depends on your local meta, it's probably going to be a sorcery speed boros charm

>1/1 dudes on the ground are ever relevant

>1 damage when it comes down then 7 damage on the next turn

>each OTHER attacking goblin
the 1/1 will get blocked and killed. Realistically, this is going to be 3 damage maybe before getting removed

>2 other tokens attacking
>rabblemaster attacks
m8 pros disagree, that's all i'm going to say

Sideboard cards are there to help you in your worst matchups in the way you feel is most needed.

I have eternal scourge in my sideboard if my deck goes against another hard control deck, just for that continuous threat.

In your case, it's not a bad choice. I had a guy at my LGS who actually did the same thing you're doing. He just had it in Jund instead.

I play Faeries at FNM and it they aren't that bad. They're very prone to being shit if you can't pilot it well but they have a lot of potential.

It isn't getting banned user, the deck doesn't violate any of the rules for modern and some of the WotC people have gone on record saying they like the deck. It's pretty much a cute pile of cards that can do some disgusting things if you put the time in to learn how to use them.

t. Lantern player

So, trying to get into modern. On a scale of 1-10, just how likely is it I'm going to get stomped for my first time heading into a modern format next week?

Any sort of sideboard?

Trying to decide that after I determine if there is anymore tuning needed. Such as if I should lower Graf and bump up Beastmaster.

heres a UW tip for the drip:
most control decks run a basic shell of-
25 lands - standards for this are:
>4 flooded strand
>4 celestial colonade
>5 island
>2 plains
>4 land destruction lands between ghost quarter, field of ruin and tectonic edge,
>and then 5 (usually) one ofs between glacial fortress, hallowed fountain (which ive seen be a two of), irrigated farmland, mystic gate, and temple of enlightenment
and for spells the standard is:
>3 snapcaster mage
>2 detention sphere
>4 spreading seas
>3 cryptic command
>2 mana leak
>1 negate
>4 path to exile
>1 spinx's revelation
>1 gideon jura
>2 gideon of the trials
>1 jace architect of thought
>3 supreme verdict
>4 serum visions

which is 31 spells and 25 land leaving 4 cards to play around with between another mana leak, 1-3 opt, 1-2 blessed alliance, logic knot, shadow of doubt, 1-3 think twice, and 2 spell snare
theres also the variant of the deck (which in my opinion is better) that cuts the 4 serum visions leaving you with 8 options to play around with rather than the original 4

I dunno if youve got budget constraints but you wanna look at shifting towards the tried and true shit, elixir and emrakool are cute but not optimal if youre looking to win real tournys with it

youre looking at tempo then and for those decks you either wanna go UWR midrange or bant coco

what are the tier 1 decks in the format?

is it just deaths shadow, eldrazi, storm, and humans or is there anything else I should keep in mind while I build decks?

im pretty sure anything beyond tier 1 will be easy to deal with if a decks good enough without having hate for it

Buried alive is not modern legal.

>I dunno if you've got budget constraints
My version costs more than normal UW control tho???
Also, 4 manlands is fucking stupid; that's too many lands coming in tapped for me.
Opt is better than Serum Visions btw

with your list thats 3 fucking lands coming in tapped, most lists can get away with 6
and colonades are the heart of control decks even fucking UWX lists run 4 because its an important piece

and both opt and visions are shit, youre a control deck not a combo deck so you dont want to be spending mana on your turn to dig, and on the enemys turn you want some value to come out of it like with shadow of doubt or cryptic, or in think twices case the ability to do it multiple times per card, opt is1 card while think twice is 2

and judging by you cutting spreading seas id say you dont understand why each of these cards is played, you might as well cut all of them if you dont get what the hell youre supposed to do with them and use wall of omens instead

So sorry, great UW control master
How dare I go down one spreading seas to put in an alt-wincon? What a plebian I am.
Just stop it, buddy

youre arguing with every single UW control list thats placed in big tournaments
im surprised your dumb ass hasnt cut land for some dumb shit yet

UW Control isn't fucking Ad Nauseum, flex spots exist.

spreading seas arent fucking flex spots, I told you the 4/8 flex spots in the deck and instead you cut important pieces for your shit "worse than serum visions" opt and pointless "I just want to go to time every single game" elixer

Sure, the new lists all run it as a 4 of but it used to be just a occasional SB slot.
Disrupting my opponents land isn't important enough to me that I feel the need to have a playset.
Not everyone has to run the list exactly the same, sorry to tell you.

it doesnt matter what it use to do, UW USE to have to run another color and now it doesnt

the point is when youre playing competitive magic you accept established archetypes and fiddle with the actual flex cards not cut key pieces so that you can draw your "dead card every matchup" emrakul and still claim its competitive and believe me if you ever get the 15 mana to hardcast emrakul you couldve won that game many turns ago buy just playing the correct fucking cards

I'm clearly not looking to hard cast Emrakul.
Have you even bothered to read Jace?

okay no more (you)s for you, thats the last straw

Autism.

>this is the kind of person playing UW control

maybe its not tier 1 because retards are the ones playing the deck while good players are on other decks not the fact that its just weaker than other top tier decks

Anyone playing any form of control is at least a little bit retarded.
Plus, blue isn't allowed to be good so I make up for it by putting in a big stupid Eldrazi.
Sue me.

Nice try fag.
You don't even know how to use fucking spoilers.

dont bully him user, he thinks he can realistically ult jace in modern

we have to nurture our players instead of bullying them in the hopes that one day theyll realize that they were being retarded

Alright dudes, help me out. I've got a sweet idea but I'm fairly sure we don't have the tools for it yet.
The short of it is making Metalwork Colossus free so you can loop through your deck with Greater Good, generating mana by cracking Mox Opals and shuffling them back in by discarding Emrakul, eventually hardcasting him with the mana you generate. You can buyback Colossus if you need to by putting Pentad Prisms on top of each other. You can go infinite eventually if you grind your deck down low enough, but playtesting it you normally hit 15 mana before that. This is what I've got so far.