/l5rg/

/l5rg/ - Worlds Edition

>Vegas spoilers for second pack when?

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
mediafire.com/folder/icjb615izaw31/L5R

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Threadly reminder that Ikoma Eiji is a bad card and spirit caller is better.

How is this game?
I was eyeing trying it out but I hear you need to buy 3 starter decks to even do anything?

It's not starter decks, it's core sets. This is an LCG, so there are no random packs. The core set has one of a lot of cards, and the max you can have in a deck is three. If you don't buy three core sets, you will be very limited and most decks will be similar just because there aren't enough clan specific cards in a single box, so everyone has to use a lot of neutral cards. But if you buy three, you'll be able to build literally every possible deck that can be made right now. You'll also have a card pool big enough to be able to build two or three full decks at the same time.

You can get by easy if you buy 2 and trade for the last set you need for your clan.

>Decide to play Unicorn clan because of purple Mongolian horde aesthetic.
>"Surely a clan with a Unicorn as their symbol wouldn't actually be bad"
>Currently the weakest/least played clan
Why is that exactly?

FFG fucked up on their card assortment in the Core for 'Corn. They get significantly better with the expansions, they don't end up top tier but solidly middle.

They were brain dead easy to play for a new player in the CCG though.

>They get significantly better with the expansions
this meme again?

teegee, I've heard the corebooks allow for more non-Japanese non-Chinese shit (apparently, Korean names and Southeast Asian names are fine in certain clans). What kinda non-moonland Asian stuff would you be willing to let into your games?

LBS stuff is compatible. One of the shields is really strong from what I remember.

Unicorn will have strong honor deck with magic yurts, way of the chrysanthemum and rebuild.

If you are talking nu5R, my group isn't switching. We've all agreed it offers nothing that we can't get better in previous editions.

All the LBS shit comes with dishonor every time you use it though. And it might get you arrested for importing contraband (as most foreign items can be considered mildly heretical) if the local magistates want to be dicks about it.

In my game the highly conservative Lion and Phoenix players have gone round and round with the Unicorn and more practical Crab over the Unicorn's gaijin gear (he has a spyglass and crossbow). What is funny is each has taken offense to only one of the items, the Phoenix is convinced the Spyglass is some sort of gaijin magic and the Lion feels the Crossbow is an unskilled coward's weapon. In response the Crab and Unicorn have bro-ed up and the Unicorn is trying to get his daimyo's permission to gift the Crab a crossbow of his own.

Yes, going from worst to decent is pretty significant

>And it might get you arrested for importing contraband
This is almost never a problem, because you can just claim that it was in your family from before things were banned or that an ancestor brought it back from a fight with gaijin. They can't prove otherwise and have to accept a samurai's (IE, you) word at face value if the item isn't on the short, extremely illegal list. It's legal to have gaijin things in certain circumstances, and those circumstances are really easy to lie about.

>No not-dutch, not-british or not-yanks
Why did they pick the least interesting types of gaijen for the context of notppon?

Because they're literally irrelevant.

A damn shame. The westernisation and isolation of Japan is fucking fascinating and would be really neat to see in the context of rokugan. Would be a good opportunity for new villains and allies too. Not-Indians are pretty rad though.

Rokugan doesn't Westernize, even in the alternate timelines where it embraces gaijin stuff. Having objective supernatural backup for traditions and internal power does that.

This game seems fun but I don't know where to start, I'm pretty new to LCG.

And its not like the Japanese rejected Western weapons in OTL anyway. The Samurai were opposed to reorganizing their society on a Western model because they would lose much of their privilege and status in such a society.

Get two starters and trade for what you need from a friend.

The thing to remember in Rokugan is that the Emperor is basically also the Pope. When an emperor said that gaijin stuff is heretical and illegal, that means that your actual real eternal soul will really be objectively damaged by using such items, and you will actually for real be reincarnated downwards, if not thrown into Gaki-do for it.

My character was not particularly pious nor did he give shit what Iweko said beyond the physical consequences.

Iweko is less important than Hantei Muhaki, who banned all foreign influence and weapons after the gaijin killed the third most popular emperor to ever live.

Sounds awfully foolish to me.

Gunpowder doesn't play well with the elemental kami. Do you want to cause a cursed famine that kills everyone? Because using that stuff is how you cause a cursed famine that kills everyone.

>Unmarried women are not allowed to be alone with men, and thus those who wish to serve their clan as samurai-ko must either take an oath of chastity or burden themselves with an “honor retainer” or family member who follows them around, making sure they obey all social conventions and are never alone with a man who might taint their virtue.
What would these "honor retainer"s be? Handmaids? Monks?

Nigga the piece of metal I strapped on to my arm won't disrupt the Kami. I know I just asked them.

Literally just a chaperone. Most likely a low ranking or young samurai who is following orders from a higher up so the bushi-ko can't directly order them around.

Probably but I found its less of a hassle to just be married and take the cheap version of dependent.

I was talking about firearms. Gaijin melee weapons are not heretical, although they are dishonorable to use in real combat. There are canonical weapon collectors who have things like Yobanjin ring swords and burning sand scimitars.

I think it would have to be a samurai so they can testify that nothing dishonorable has occurred, and also either another woman or a male blood relative.

Any news from worlds today?

Oh, I was more thinking of shit like refluffing daggers to be Indonesian kris/Filipino butterfly knives/etc, converting the old Mainland China vs. Vietnam wars into the Clan conflicts, PCs being swept up in Goreyo/Joseon-style court corruption and intrigue, maybe homebrewing other East/Southeast Asian monsters.

I'd fucking love for Crab Clanners having to take on aswang and liver-eating kumiho.

Aren't they all wrapped up into a nebulous 'literally Britain/Scotland/Ireland smashed into one country with every other yurop country and then the Spaniards'?

Yeah, but getting hassled by a booty bothered cop (local magistrate) or even worse a fed (Emerald Magistrate) can be something happens on occasion. Especially if said authority has nothing real on you and just needs to hold/aggravate you into making a mistake.

I've used Handmaids and Ladies in Waiting for the most part. I've also used all female units to get around that, though that doesn't work as well for PCs. In my current game I have an Isawa shugenja whose yojimbo is a female cousin, in essence they act as each other's honor retainer.

Don't forget Daidoji Uji's collection of Sai-bors.

Clans from day 2

And day 3

Day 3 splashes
>muh let go and mirururu's fury

Top provinces
>pilgrimage where

It is competing with Shamefur Dispray so it stays in the box.

There are actual unicorns that managed to get to day!?

What was the Korean era where women were NEVER EVER EVER supposed to even leave the house, and had some kind of companion with them at all times? You could model it off of that.

>pilgrimage

The only clan that can play it at the same time as Shameful Display has Kuroi Mori.

They have both the worst stronghold and the worst champion, which is a combination their other cards can't carry them out of. They have some amazing cards like spyglass and giver of gifts, but on the whole they seem to have been deliberately tuned down compared to the other clans.

It depends how common effects that send you home become.

>Cancel Ring effects that really aren't that strong if it isn't Void or Fire

or

>Fuck over your opponents board state

It makes sense.

Who would've thought that Unicorn aren't actually bad, just got cucked over in the core.

The Misinformation or totally didn't exist era.

Source; Korean.

Does anyone have that pic of all the unreavealed provinces? I'm late to the party.

Check the archive. It was in the last thread.

Thanks friendo, I'm dumb and forgot to check the archive

Is this general for the card game only or both card and table top?
Also why is it so infrequent, I only see it like once a month

We use it for both. Someone tried a separate thread for the RPG and CCG but it didn't work as the community on Veeky Forums is small and cross pollinates.

It is infrequent because until recently there wasn't a lot to talk about. FFG let the ground lay fallow for year while making their new LCG. The old CCG was never popular on Veeky Forums and the old players clustered around AEG's (the old owner) forum and the various clan forums. Since the CCG was the driving force behind the IP it just didn't get discussed all that often here. Veeky Forums has always had a small L5R community, we've been having sporadic pseudo-generals since forever and there were even a couple of L5R quests in the early days of questfaggotry.

Because I was not here to shit post and troll to keep the thread bumped.

How do we fix Phoenix.

Without using maho

I know, let's summon an oni and ask it! They're basically walking encyclopedias, right? While you're up, grab that black scroll over there too.

You don't. They will always be the clan of Mary Sues and cucks.

Isawat you did there.

What is the likelihood the packs will be for sale tomorrow??

Maybe 5% if that. If they weren't available at the start, I can't see them being ready at the end.

Can someone repost those Province card leaks from the previous thread?

Agreed, some podcast had spoilers the day before worlds, and for me it proved that packs wouldn't be on sale this week.

Day 1, 2, 3 are actually 1Z, 1A and 1B. Sorry, if I misinformed anyone, couldn't find the top cut info yet, but from what I heard, the top cuts are pretty similar across those.

Because general were honestly a mistake.
It devolves to shitposting, inside joke and such things

God the Star Wars one is nuts. Just endless rogue squadron memes

That's disappointing

I really like pilgrimage under the stronghold.
If done right, and he can't farm your other ones, it gets down to game over or nothing gained.

Cyoa has become a "author update of the week".
Infinity is either slavshitpost, begging for smut and a bit of actual help.
Alternative Games is the same old games shilled over and over.

>no uni with 6-0
>one with 5-1

Godspeed, you crazy bastard

>implying Koreans are a reliable source for their own history
Your nationalistic, revisionist, propaganda bullshit that you try to pass off as “history” is on par with North Korea’s Kim family propaganda.

How are the lion elite spearmen? I know non sword or heavy weapons are under powered, but a class built around the spear should make it pretty good, right?

Maritime Southeast Asian stuff fits in pretty snugly with the Mantis. The Dragon alread have some Chinese and Tibetan influence, so it wouldn't be hard to play that up further. There doesn't appear to be a good equivalent to Vietnam in Rokugan, unfortunately, and I know so little about Korean history that I wouldn't be able to help with that.

>class
School.

Reasonable when you really want to throw spears at people. It's sub-par as a melee school after rank 2, and is only ok before that. Knocking off reduction isn't as good as doing damage.

I'd suggest any other Lion bushi school for melee, and possibly even for ranged with a bow.

You're an extremely grown up man

> worlds so far
> dragon, scorpion, phoenix basically on equal footing wiht lion

Nice fluff versimilitude, FFG you fucking KEKS

See

Yeah, I know, Lion should be jobbing harder like the clan of Worfs that they are.

UNICORN WAS ROBBED!

ROBBED I SAY!

He lost by a single point when time was called during the fate phase.
If time was called a moment later they'd have gotten a full new round as it is played out to the end of the current round.

He robbed himself by forgetting that trigger. He wouldn't have needed the next round then.

Working on a custom playmat for my dragon deck, two questions.

Does anyone have a decently transparent Dragon Clan mon? The ones google is giving me are fucking shit/jpgs, and I am not really an image editor.
Is there a particular shade of green I should be going with?

I think that I don't like the locked in roles system. Too many chances for people to make shitty decisions that lock in everyone else. Also too many opportunities for salty Mantis/Spiders to sabotage fun.

Zero Crab or Unicorn make the cut.
>Balanced game

Seems way too fucking conditional

You can play attachments on their dudes to let you bow them.

Yeah, it is pretty bad. 2 Fate, 1/1, and gotta pitch the favor use his ability which is limited to a guy with an attachment.

There are several 6-2 crabs and a 6-2 unicorn. They didn't make the cut because of the tiebreakers, not because they are shit.

I heard the tiebreakers are shit though because they are split between d1 and d2.

anyone that went 4-2 day one had zero chance of making the cut. Even if they got 2 wins their SOS tanks with the day 2 reset.

A lot of Crab and Unicorn (including myself) went 4-2.

I did not even bother to go to play today after I worked out the math.

Yeah, that's what I heard and that's bullshit. Wouldn't you still have the chance to go through as a challenger though?

Lock-in roles only matter in official tournament play. While it sucks that it could have an impact on tournament statistics and even who gets to make story decisions, it's pretty much a non-factor for people just playing at their LGS.

I had 2 people drop on my day one so my SOS was shit. Day 1 SOS was used for challenger

>Top Crab player dropped like a faggot

Lion's IF card seems almost broken

What happened?

Seems like most people are sticking to official roles even outside of official tournaments though.

He decided to go play Netrunner instead.