/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/...
Can you run an Elder Scrolls game decently on 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for cute dwarven women.

COUNTERSPELL EDITION

wizard fight

>Bards get colleges of Valor
>And colleges of Swords
>And even colleges of whispers, all about deceiving and stabbing in the back
>But none of these bards get the Illusion Spell shadow blads

Hilarious. Eat shit fellow minstrels, it is Lore Master Race forever

I'm getting Eragon vibes from these counterspell rules.
Everywizard is trying to get into the otherwizards mind before even trying to counterspell anything. And whoever gets in first has the knowledge advantage because they auto-succeed on any checks to identify the spell.

I think these rules mean that once you've identified a spell you automatically identify it from now on from that caster

All Bards get magical secrets tho

Anything that tones down casters is all right in my book, even if it's caster vs caster.

The other colleges still get magical secrets.

It hurts.

Wouldn't a wizard fight just be
>W1: finger of death, disintegrate, etc
>W2: counterspell with reaction
>W1: counterspell the counterspell with own reaction
>profit?

I can see it now
>"He's casting disintegrate!" Bilbalf the mighty Wizard shouts, as he turns into a pile of dust

How is Lost Mine Of Phandelver for a group of first-timers? My first time DMing and most players first time playing.

A smart wizard would open with feeblemind before the counterspell shenanigans.

You can't counterspell as a reaction on your turn that you are also casting another spell, unless the spell you cast was a cantrip.

Also, any tips for a first time DM? Unsure how much I can let them derail on a premade campaign

At level 10

Aint no gishfag blowing their Spirit Guardians or Elemental Weapon spell secrets slot for Shadow Blade, alone Destructive Wave or Find Greater Steed
To say nothing of the mandatory 1 level Sorcerer dip for Shield and Scag cantrips

God i hate to praise eragon, but that honestly sounds kinda cool

no because you can't cast 2 spells a turn unless one is a cantrip

If wizard 2 can identify the wizard 1 spell then yes he could see the imminent danger and counterspell that shit.
If he fails the check be can counterspell blindly and might end up using the counterspell on a 3d10 firebolt.

The new meta will be thought-detecting and thought masking spells to make counterspell as efficient as it once was.

The reaction isn't in your turn though.Reactions exist outside of turns.

Spell casting restriction rules only matter when you cast a bonus action spell.

5e has been out for more than three years and people still haven't fucking read it.

Its actually pretty good. Just read through all of it before-hand and be prepared to improvise a bit as your players will inevitably do something unexpected.

Yes you can. It's been literally adressed
Reactions don't count as being on your turn, but rather being on your round

bullshit.
>Read the book black man.

That's literally wrong. A reaction on YOUR turn is still on YOUR turn.
You can reaction on someone ELSES turn in that -round- and counterspell, even if on YOUR turn you cast a spell.

Another example other than counterspell that you can't do because of the 1 spell per Turn rule: Wizard casts Magic Missile. Then he moves and provokes an opportunity attack. As a reaction he wants to cast Shield, but he cannot, as that would be a second spell on HIS turn.

Wizard 1 casts a spell, Wizard 2 counterspells, Wizard 1 can't counterspell the counterspell. Wizard 3 can counterspell the counterspell, however.

see

>Wizard casts Magic Missile. Then he moves and provokes an opportunity attack. As a reaction he wants to cast Shield, but he cannot, as that would be a second spell on HIS turn.
This is 100% legal, RAW and RAI. The restrictions only matter when it comes to bonus action spells. If he cast Expeditious Retreat, he couldn't use Shield, but with Magic Missile it's fine.

Posted this last thread, but I'm building a Fighter (Samurai)/Warlock (Fiend Pact? Hexblade?)

The idea is to use Samurai's 'Fighting Spirit' ability to gain advantage on attacks rolls for 1 round, then Action Surge and spam Eldritch Blasts.

Warlock1
Warlock2- Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear?
Fighter1
Fighter2-Action Surge
Fighter3-Fighting Spirit

Not sure where to take the build after that. Warlock levels could give me some more spells, but so could multiclassing into Sorcerer. Fighter 4 could give me +2 Charisma or a feat (?).

I'm thinking Tielfling, Half-Elf or Human for a race. Charisma boost is a must, but otherwise it's open.

Hexblade fits the Samurai theme, then I could swing a sword with my charisma mod too?

If you're a DM you better get of 5eg right now and read the fucking errata you massive corpse-molesting fruit.
>media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf

DMs like you are the reason I became a DM, so the players can get someoen halfway competent instead of a euphoric mouthbreather

>Elemental Weapon spell secrets slot for Shadow Blade
Isn't shadow blade much better? The test example i had in mind was like greatsword + lvl 7 elemental weapon vs. lvl 7 shadowblade, both with two attacks and I came up with 29 for greatsword+elemental weapon and 45 for shadowblade.

Start Fighter.

That's not sage advice. That's fucking errata, because PHB pg. 202 directly contradicts

Page 202 only talks about bonus action spells you cock-sniffing invalid.

This is my issue with this feature. I like the idea of it working in groups though where one person could shout the spell then have an ally counterspell it.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys just say what spell the person is casting? That way its fair for both PCs and DM?

Oh good idea, Heavy Armor, better Saves. Yeah, Fighter 1 to start.

>this is the face of your average /5eg/ poster
RIght about what I expected.

Shadow Blade excludes the reality of you coming into possession of a magic weapon.

consider switching eldrichspear with repelling blast or grasp of harder depending on how your DM is going to run your encounters
>IS everyone making a beeline to the eldrich blast turret? Repelling blast
>Is DM giving you casters that stay away from teh fight? Pull them 40feet closer so they can spam fireball from a ledge
>Longrange encontuers then go Eldrichspear

It's crap like this makes 5e such an embaressment. 3.5 had spell identification rules, counterspell rules. They weren't too complicated and they fucking worked.

Pg. 202 prints:
>You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Wizards can correct themselves however they want, but this whole business is aids.

What prevents a Sorcerer from Quickening a Fireball, then saying "as my action I ready an action to cast Fireball?

That's still dumb as fuck. You're mid casting of Fireball, some other Wizard counterspells your ass and you somehow cast counterspell MID Fireball then finish casting Fireball?

That's stupid. First counterspeller should win and it should be fakeout games of what did they counterspell.

I love fireball!

We've just done it that everyone knows every spell on the field. Hell, the fighter is our squad leader and often clarifies the effects of spells when a caster mistakes them or forgets them.
The DM is new so I expect a more experienced DM to rule it more realistically though.

Yeah, Arms Hadar is only 1/turn now, and only 20 feet. I still considered it. Repelling blast doesn't seem worth it without Eldritch Spear.

Also, Heavy Armor + Shield, so I'm not too worried about pushing enemies away.

You have to cast the spell, you can only hold the release

Law of averages says something about 3.5 has to work.

So is XGtE been leaked? Or is it just a few pages?

yeah I would go for the spear then, no one expects the heavy guy to be throwing EB's at 300ft

>You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
It's talking about bonus action spells. Every other part of that paragraph is about bonus action spells. The header of that section is about bonus action spells, and the supersection it's in is about casting time.

It doesn't matter if you cast an action spell. You could still counterspell. You could still use Action Surge to cast a fireball. These rules only matter to bonus action spells. This is how 5e has been since its release over three years ago. This is has it's always been.

Learn to fucking read user. I beg of you.

Who the fuck needs 2 players? We are desperate for a game

"When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal"

Only a couple pages and some general summaries.

Yet 5e is actually a well designed system and 3xe is a schizophrenic system catering to autists.

Only a few pages.
LEAK THE BOOK ALREADY.
SOME FUCKERS OWN IT AND AREN'T SHARING, AAAAAAAAAH

He's a DM, listening to other people doesn't work because it doesn't fit his narrative.

then fucking use 3.5 rules. its not that hard to replace certain things in your own game.

>Leak the book, black man.

I will not.

When you ready an action to cast Fireball you are casting fireball on your turn, then releasing it as a reaction.

Its how it works, technically no caster knows what spells are being cast until they are cast. As such it is a game of fakeout the caster.

In my game I say the spell that is being cast but not the spell level. That way I can avoid metagaming as a DM when my players tell me what spell they are casting and I counterspell it vs them not knowing what spell I'm casting because I did not say what spell, making it so they could waste it on a cantrip or something.

On the flipside the Sorcadin combination has just become even more memetic
>Divine Smite on my Psychic Green Flame Blade
Waiting on level 10 to get access to a 2nd level spell is pretty brutal

They're too busy getting upvotes on plebbit.

Can you please only leak the Redemption Paladin?
I have a campaign start tomorrow and the information within that section is *critical* to one of my players

We have to go deeper!
>Divine Smite + Wrathful Smite + Shadow Blade + Greenflame-Blade/Booming Blade

MAN, I MISS STONE SORCERER!

that makes sense, because you could see a fireball being cast but wouldn't be able to gauge the power until it smacks you between the eyes.

KILL YOURSELF THEN YOU FUCKING FAGGOT.

From what I've read: it's the same without the weird bludgeoning simple weapon and 16+dex AC thing.

>You can't make a hand crossbow your pact weapon, but you can make a light or heavy crossbow a pact weapon

One job WOTC

Similar to last thread's talk of just changing Flame Blade to "Shadow Blade but fire damage", I hope Dragon Breath is decent so I can just change the dragonborn breath to it altogether.

Two of those are concentration.

>Don't remember the last session that didn't contain the words 'So how are we going to put this fire out?'
Is one pyromaniac per group just a requirement?

Just use the UA for the time being and then swap it out once Xanathar's releases.

Oh yeah...forgot for a second that smite spells are concentration. Still pretty memey though.

I know that's how it works, I'm saying it's not really a game of fakeout since there's really no risk to it on the side of the caster.

IF they roll to identify and IF they choose the correct spell slot to counterspell with or IF they didn't identify and choose a lower spell slot and then have to roll and then finally get the roll off.

You just respond with "Nah I counterspell" and the turn goes like it does.

>Making plans before the pdf even releases on the 10th.
You didn't really think this through.

The first caster is still expending double the spell slots to make sure his spell succeeds. Even though the fireball goes off, that extra expenditure is still helpful to wizard 2, provided he survives.

The 2nd level spell scales into higher level spell slots considerably well, as advantage improves your current power and its damage scaling is reasonable

We have one, our fucking druid of all classes.

That makes me wonder: Can you smite on the greenflame blade bounce damage?

When one spell is all you need to win a fight, that extra spell slot down isn't that brutal.

I suppose this is the first way Sorcerer's begin to look better.

>Cast a spell as an action
>Does the DM counterspell?
>lol it was just a cantrip
>quicken your real spell, or vice versa

>One job
People sure misuse this phrase a lot.

No, because It only affects the guy your hitting with the melee weapon attack not the guy who got sloppy seconds. Also, I made a mistake you can't Wrathful Smite with that because its concentration and would disable your Shadow Blade.

Can you tell me what the spell Steel Wind Strike does if you have the book?

See that's a nice mind game. Being able to counterspell the counterspell just lets you guarantee you can get your turn off if you have the resources. Which just turns spell fights into resource burning games instead of more engaging tactical decisions.

My monk has burned down 3 buildings. He caught himself on fire once to get a vampire to stop grappling.

Yo if anyone has/knows someone who has the book can you answer one very important question?

Sorcerer only spells, they now a thing?

Derail as much as you can. Premades are just saving you prep time and its usually always more fun to come up with your own shit. Balance is a meme, they can always run away if its too hard.

More like warladin hit elder god meme status.
>11 pal/3 warlock can hit for 8d8 per round with the option to smite on either swing

Shit. The Unarmored Paladin bit was critical

There's at least one new spell that's sorcerer specific, Chaos Bolt.

Also, does Sorcerer get Absorb Elements now?

If the wizard blows his reaction to counterspell the enemy counterspell so that he can get his spell off then he no longer has a reaction for that round, the enemy wizard can now safely cast whatever big spell he wants and he's still even on spell slots.

I'm ripping out SCAG at my table, mostly to pre-emptively block the SCAG cantrips. Sounds like to me XGE will have enough spells to compensate. Unless SCAG cantrips are re-printed in XGE or something in the future, people are out of luck.

I hope I'm not the only one to do this.

Hopefully there's more, hell I'd be happy even if there's just more Sorcerer spells Wizards don't have.

From the beginning I always thought a lot of Druid spells would make sense for Sorcerers, plus would give them some more identity.

SCAG classes are getting reprinted in XGE as well as spells from Elemental Evil, so it's likely the SCAG spells are going to be in there.

>banning official material because your players can't have fun
You are the worst kind of DM

I want enough new sorcerer spells that a Dragon Sorcerer can actually have at least one spell of each level for their chosen element.

No I'm about the same. With the reprinting of SCAG subclasses that actually matter, I'm just going to flat out say the book isn't being used, because we ain't playing in FR.

I will allow anything in XGE, EE and VGtM however.

Just ban the problematic cantrips, ya goof.

They aren't