40k vs MonHun

So, following in the vein of the Warhammer vs Metroid, and the 40k vs Combine threads, how would the factions of 40k do against the world of Monster Hunter, otherwise know as Capcom's poster-child? How would they genuinely react or process some of the raw bullshit contained within such a world?

Other urls found in this thread:

monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Freedom_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What a coincidence, I was just thinking earlier about what it would be like to hunt a feral Carnifex in Monster Hunter.

>SYNCHRONITY.

It might make for a decent feudal world for recruitment. The people who live in MonHun are well above the average human in terms of strength and durability.

>It might make for a decent feudal world for recruitment. The people who live in MonHun are well above the average human in terms of strength and durability.
The strength of the Hunters themselves should also be taken into account, especially if you go by the lore of some of the Elder Dragons. Fairly certain a lone Monster Hunter could handle anything Chaos or the wider galaxy could throw at them.

Friendly reminder that on top of hunting dragons for profit and sport, literally every hunter can jump off a cliff in nothing but skimpy spandex and sandals, fall hundreds of feet, and then stick the landing with no adverse effects, even doing this dozens of times in the course of a single hunt and being able to sprint and swing a seven foot buster sword to lethal effect immediately afterwards.

they also don't need to eat or use the bathroom or shave or bathe

Another thing to note is that some of those "seven-foot buster swords" as well as the hunter's armors, are either *literally* alive, as in, they are still infused with the essence of the Dragon that they were made from (and some can even *eat* their wielders), or they are composed of Elemental power or souls or some nebulous abstract conceptual stuff. Monster Hunters are fucking bullshit.

Not into 40k, but wouldn't the inquisition/imperium consider all the armor and weapon as major warp-fuckery?

They most likely would. But there's exactly shit they can do about it. Trying to *kill* the Hunters will just result in them having those soul-annihilating, conceptual weapons turned on -them-, and Exterminatusing (or attempting to) the planet, will just result in world/universe ending shit like the Fatalis being allowed to roam unchecked. It's a lose-lose situation in their case.

I know 40kids are shitty but Monster Hunter verse isn't that powerful.

>Pffft, MonHun isn't THAT powerful.
I've been in nearly every Monster hunter lore thread on /v/, and I've seen people say the *exact* same thing, and get proven wrong only minutes later. Monster Hunter lore is utterly insane user.

It's not nearly on the scale of "universe ending" or 40k?

Several weapons in Monster hunter have lore stating that they've survived "innumerable universal resets", and some weapons are capable of sunder ing the entirety of the world itself.

>With the eleventh night mist, Shah Dalamadur created the crucible of life.

>Several weapons in Monster hunter have lore stating that they've survived "innumerable universal resets"
*goes from blue sharpness to green in 10 swings*

>*goes from blue sharpness to green in 10 swings*
Hey! Every good weapon needs maintenance you know! Who's to say that enduring for so long hasn't reduced it's overall effectiveness?

>Dalamadur Glaive: A unique scale that renders its owner's body an army of mountain-rending swords.

Doesn't that thing have a nuclear reactor in its chest?

I played through monster hunter tri ages ago but I have no clue about the setting's powerlevel.

40K has some pretty crazy shit in it though, if we take the top 40k stuff we've got a psychic strong enough to terrify 4 super-powerful chaos gods when he erased Horus, well at least until they retcon that in the books.

I mean I don't know anything about it but all I remember was fucking up Jagi with those big crossbow things and that fucking t-rex thing that sometimes got summoned by big monsters and raped your entire hunt. I dunno how monster hunter would deal with stuff like Necron fleets or C'tan for example when we're just fighting with some space-marine level hunters with enchanted weapons and nothing in the current 40k setting can deal with them.

It does. It can also use that nuclear reactor to fire a fuck-off huge beam of pure devastation. It can also call down fragments of stars to rain down upon the heads of its foes.

Monster Hunter powerlevels are actually completely and utterly ridiculous, going by the lore alone. It's never actually stated in-game, but the Elder Dragons that Hunters regularly clash with, are fully capable of annihilating the entire world with trivial ease, and the most powerful amongst them are fullblown cosmic horrors. In fact, according to the lore, just by *existing*, the Fatalis causes reality to collapse and decay.

This argument is probably not actually gonna go anywhere, but I'm gonna need you Monhun lorefags to keep ponying up information.

Like, what's the deal with all those ziggurats and shit that are in the backgrounds of areas?

Monster Hunter world would be classified as a death world. If brought to compliance the people there would likely be used as either space marine stock or some of the most hilariously op guard around.

How the fuck do we kill these things with big swords. I never read into the lore but in game I just thought that we were hunting big animals, not bloody gods.

Why even make this thread if it's a fact that one of these beings can assfuck all of 40k unless this is bait for the 40k fanboys.

You make da big sword with a slightly less powerful cosmic horror.

>Like, what's the deal with all those ziggurats and shit that are in the backgrounds of areas?
They are most likely remnants of the Ancient Civilization that went to war against the Elder Dragons. A lot of the more ancient, high-tech areas are thought to be past works of theirs.

I would kill to have an ork themed weapons on a quest. Can you imagine the cobbled together bowguns and gun lances they would use? The giant swords that are just multiple long swords tied together with wire and rivets.

Never have I known I wanted something so badly in my life.

So monster hunter is a post-apocalyptic world where humans tried to kill gods and now superhumans killing elder-gods with the bones of the other gods to finish what was started.

This is the most fucking metal thing I've heard all day and in the game I just thought I was shooting dinosaurs so I could sell them as handbags or some shit. They need to work on getting the story across a bit better.

>Hold fast men, here comes the Tyranid horde!
>S-sir, we need to get out of here, those bugs are gonna tear us to--
>BLAM
>You sniveling shits! Why can't more of you maggots be more like that squad of Capcomians?
>Commissar points at four buff guardsman throwing down their lasguns and brandishing slabs of scrapmetal at the incoming nids
>one of them is excitedly pointing at a Carnifex in the distance, another is alternately eating a field ration and flexing

>I never read into the lore but in game I just thought that we were hunting big animals, not bloody gods.
You didn't realize the MonHun monsters were something *more* than just mere "beasts" or "animals" when shit like Dire Miralis started fucking the world over whilst barely awake, or when in 4U, the White Fatalis *literally* flies out of a black hole created by an eclipse?

> Capcomian Division guardsmen each chug a bright yellow drink from what appears to be a mason jar
>They pull over-sized shields and lances from their backs
>Each brings themselves low to the ground before charging
>They never stop

Well that's how it starts
and then some grampa man tells you that while you were out punching giant snow rabbits to make a hat Jesus the dragon himself woke up and you gotta fix it. So you grab the sword you made of the last dragon god you fought even though it was weaker (but had the corresponding element to beat this one) to beat this doomsday lizards ass. It's not even post-apocalyptic. People live pretty well.

>another is alternately eating a field ration and flexing
my fucking sides

I actually find this a far more interesting what if thought play then most of the others recently.

As a die hard monhun fan, I have to say this in regards to weapon description lore, fish stories. No one should take 'world ending' power in weapon descriptions literally, most of the descriptions I recall just reek of sounding like way overblown poetry style descriptions. It's something you see often in Asian culture, they describe things in a figurative sense very often and it gets translated over here in a way that comes off as literal.

But the hunters are still immensely strong and highly skilled in combating monstrosities. They will fold immediately should they have Tau, necrons, and so on thrown at them. But send them against tyranids? I bet they could have a field day with that. They might also be useful to have some hunters waiting in guardsmen trenches waiting for orks to close the distancw and help protect the gun emplacements from cqc. But I can't see them as being useful against orks due to the sheer numbers of orks and I have a hunch hunters are not use to humanoid targets, especially ones that could shoot them in the face with a slugga.

Daemons could definitely be a fun challenge for veteran hunters who dealt with the likes of fatalis, magala, and so on. But they would need to be prepared first, they have nothing in their universe to imply they could handle chaos corruption, granted one could make an argument that hunters with experience dealing with the frenzy of a magala might have a bit more resistance to chaos. Those hunters might be taken by the Inquisition to be trained to better resist the touch of chaos and be sent as an elite strike force specifically to handle situations that have a high risk of nastier daemon presence.

But anyone wanting a hunter vs imperium scenario? Hunters will loose.

>ork themed weapons
>Look like garbage, but still functional
>sharpness never leaves green, but never once bounces because you know it won't

Yes.

>People live pretty well.
As long as you've got hunters around, at least. Judging by some of the requests you get it seems like normal people have trouble dealing with basic bitch shit without being immediately mauled.

On the other hand, a Khornate Hunter would be fucking horrific. Especially if he's using DB.

Yeah, but I think they're used to it. S'why you also get a shit ton of people who ask you to capture monsters alive. Half of the capture missions aren't even for research. People are just "yeah it's dangerous, but it's fukken sweet, breh."

>Posts all of this without knowing about the raw concentrated bullshit of Frontier.
The Hunters would fucking eat 40k for breakfast. And that's not even taking into account the Elder Dragons themselves.

Totally just remembered there's something called the "mega demondrug" that these people take pretty liberally.
Hunters are Khorn's wet dream

I always assumed cap missions were for things like delicious organs that go bad if not eaten quickly after the kill or something. Yeah, a Rath steak is tasty, but fresh Rath liver is orgasmic provided you get it before it poisons itself.

Hunters getting their own storm trooper regiment would be pretty dope.

(cont)

But the imperium also will encounter the big nasty creatures there and realize that for all the faults of the inhabitants, they are skilled at killing things that would give a space marine issue. I can see it going like this, Imperium investigates this new world, finds it free of chaos taint AND has humans living there. But they are furious that the humans coexist with a xenos race(felynes), and practically hold an obvious abhuman strain in high respect(wyverians). They go down, probably an inquisitorial task force, to try and see how easy they can force the world into compliance, and that's when they encounter something like a Jhen Mohran that just crushes their landing craft.

They open fire, try to handle the situation, but are clearly way out of their league and doomed when a horn sounds. A god damned fleet of wooden and bone vessels comes sailing up over a sand dune, making a beeline for the very creature that already grounded an Imperial lander. They watch in amazement as the largest ships have the balls to sail alongside this behemoth, launching cannonballs and ballista at the thing! They get pulled up onto some of the smaller skiffs accompanying the Hunter ship, and then stare with dropped jaws as when the behemoth gets right up next to the ship, the men aboard friggin BOARD THE MONSTER WITh NAUGHT BUT SWORDS AND OTHER MELEE WEAPONS! For the next twenty minutes the inquisitorial task force watch from the skiffs that rescued them as the hunters ahead of them continue to manage the beast and force it to surface completely and take them on above ground.

This is where the imperium gets to witness the sheer testicular fortitude of 4 men in armor and melee weapons take on a beast that even a death watch kill team would be calling in reinforcements for.

The Imperium protects the world, making sure that tyranids in particular do not come across it and add the various monsters to their biology, and that chaos does not come knocking.

There's a mission or two where some noble girl wants a narga for a pet as well. The royal bestiary is one thing, but god damn.

>BOARD THE MONSTER WITH NAUGHT BUT PICK AXES, AND STARTING MINING THE BEAST'S BACK!

Ah I probably used the wrong term. I should have said something like 'fall from grace' I meant to say that it's set after a kind of more powerful civilisation collapses from their war with the dragons.

Why are hunters so powerful to begin with anyway? I mean this is some Soulsborne hero level bullshit we pull off here, it's just lacking the grit and darkness of those worlds.

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

one of the few request descriptions I can remember fairly well was for a capture quest. The quest giver was something along the lines of 'Spoiled Princess' or similar, and the description was essentially she wanted the monster as a pet or zoo animal or something. Basically it was very clear she wanted it ALIVE. Pretty sure the request was for a bigger monster too like Rathian.

Yes I am purposefully keeping frontier out of it, because A) know so very little on frontier side of things, and B) I personally feel frontier suffers way too heavily from the MMO syndrome of needing to one up everything all the time.

But I admit that feeling is based on the small knowledge I have of frontier, I have no idea if they actually have had a 'cap' they never really exceed with new content and just expand on stuff under that 'cap'. Unlike other MMOs which keep upping the level cap and putting in more powerful stuff.

But I will admit the monsters of Monster Hunter will be a huge threat to most of 40K. Obviously 40K has the option to just completely destroy the planet all together if need be, but in an actual fight, those elder dragons will wreck so much shit.

user, they do all that when you save and quit.
Along with smashing the fuck out of the quest girl.

>Why are hunters so powerful to begin with anyway? I mean this is some Soulsborne hero level bullshit we pull off here, it's just lacking the grit and darkness of those worlds.
It's suspected that the Ancient Civilization genetically engineered the Hunters to be able to directly compete with the cosmic horrors that are the Elder Dragons. Because otherwise, they had no chance in Hell of besting beings that quite literally knock stars out of the sky, and sunder continents with their breath alone.

They also have to do that considering the consumables (including deodorant) as well as the various pre-hunt powerup activities they do (feasting, bathing, etc. depending on the game).

>literally knock stars out of the sky
That's just stupid

If this is the case then the Biologis Admech will have a fucking hard on when they find this. Or Dark Eldar, imagine the bio-fuckery they could do if they can suddenly create a whole race of humans who are maybe 39,000 years behind in technology that make Custodes look like Guardsmen.

Frontier *does* one-up itself quite a bit with each new development and expansion, but I think it's because Frontier actually -tries- to be in-line with the ingame lore, making the monsters and Dragons more powerful to directly represent their position as less weird animals and beasties, and more as directly malevolent cosm8c forces that seek mankind's destruction.

God damn I was going to mention the mining part too but then it slipped my mind!

bare in mind that Hunters are still mostly human, take off the armor and the simple claw flick of that elder dragon you normally eat for breakfast completely destroys you. They have the strength to wield the weapons they forge from the monsters, and to keep going despite tons of bullshit against them, as well as the dexterity and skill to dodge the nastier stuff. Truly skilled hunters could take on an Elder Dragon naked and emerge victorious unscathed, but that is because taking just one hit will kill them.

>Be Guardsman of 203rd user'ymuth Regulars
>set up, waiting for Hive fleet to enter the system and engage the navy in orbit
>There will surely be some pods that slip past the vessels and land on the planet
>There is an odd regiment also posted on the planet with you and the other normal Guardsmen regiments
>The Capcomian Division is split up into 4 man squads that are attached to every regiment along with a single commissar to watch over them
>They are all out of uniform, aside from some purity seals, skulls and aquillas, they are just wearing armor made of some beast, maybe a tyranid?
>and no lasguns, the only ranged weapons you ever see are either some weird hybrid of crossbow and gun or the biggest damn bow and arrow ever
>You grow concerned how relaxed they are with the incoming invasion, some of them are fishing
>You even see them catch bugs with nets!
>wait, did he just make a round for his gun bow thing by shoving a spined nut into some insect's husk!?

WHEN YOU SEE THE TUSKED WHALE

That's basically the whole thing with Dalamadur. It's "Shattered Omens" are quite literally pieces of stars that it calls down to rain unholy havoc upon its foes. This is even represented in its weapon and armor lore, where it is stated that Shah Dalamadur was the one to "create a river of stars for the earth to admire".

>implying the tyranids would be a threat
the native fauna would eat a hive fleet for breakfast

and the hunters are so good that fauna literally has their own version of the WWF to protect them

Imagine Gore Magala vs the Tyranids.

Shit would be fucking horrible for everyone involved.

Sure, but now let's embed a fuck tonne of combat drug injectors or sensors that we find in Assassin gear into their relic-armour and we've got a fucking insane superhuman soldier.

I mean like you said, they already kill gods with this shitty gear, now let's just give them gear that makes them more agile, feeds them more information about their surroundings, let's them work together in real time from miles away.

The Inquisition would love getting some hunters as bodyguards for their retinue.

Sorry, Shagaru Magala would be better, more Virus control.

>will kill them.
you mean "will knock them temporarily unconscious"

hunters only "fail" because they stop being paid and fuck off

Now imagine that a hive fleet somehow manages to get the jump on a Dragon and get's access to it's genetic code.

These things cost as much biomass as maybe 10 Carnifex and now the Hive Fleet can churn out minor god level bugs and fix their weaknesses with each new generation.

CRYPTMAN NO
you are now imagining a frenzied swarmlord/biotitan

Hasn't the ingame excuse for your hunter coming to town in at least one game been that the previous town hunter got Tigrex'd or something?

yes, thats portable 2nd/3rd and MHF2/MHFU

All it takes imo is some very lucky (unlucky for the universe) circumstances to occur with the Tyranids managing to get hold of the biomatter from weaker stuff they can handle, and then working their way up as they adapt and evolve with the potent biomatter. As long as none of the elder dragons decide to take the fight directly to them before the nids are ready, you could get some really nasty tyranids.

But again, would require some luck, and of course that is disregarding the presence of the hunters who would have fun with the invaders. "What's that? completely free of ANY guild regulations and limitations on hunting tyranids? HOT DAMN!"

Magala + a Tyranid hivefleet is fucking horrible.

Good ending: Magala Virus is not effected by Tyranid mind control, and the Tyranid Swarm dies out due to Frenzy virus Ravaging the swarm to nothing.

Bad Ending: Frenzy Virus causes the Swarm to kill themselves, allowing the weak ones to be culled and you get APEX TYRANIDS.

APEX HIVE TYRANTS.

>Hive fleet east Plesioth
>Platoons are getting hip checked from miles away

F2 is P2nd though?

>Hive Fleet Rajang
>It's just a Rajang riding a Narvha bioshipl through space

>but that is because taking just one hit will kill them.
This is an understatement
>Back in MHFU or so
>Shitty armor, just advanced to G rank
>Not paying attention to HP because I haven't gotten hit yet
>Fucking wyvern ( can't remember what, this was a long time ago) STEPS ON ME TO DEATH
I sure hope they nerfed that bullshit in the later entries. Who thought it was a good idea that all that turning and stepping does damage too. It's bad enough you already have to chase someone the faster chargers only for them to spam charge the entire hunt.

>Implying that the Elder Dragons they absorb wouldn't just go full Assuming Direct Control upon the *entire Tyranid Hive Mind*.
Good fucking job, user. You just gave the godlike cosmic horrors access to a galaxy-devouring Hive Mind. I hope your proud of yourself. Nice trips though.

is it? i thought the japs kept the good shit to themselves

>and thus tyranids were wiped out, by people grinding norn queen plates

Yeah, people seem to forget the Elder Dragons are more like a Magical Virus than living things.

Yeah, just checked, it is.
>monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Freedom_2

Fuck cheers for checking those user, first trips I've realised I got all year.

I don't think many of us know Monster Hunter lore so there's why.

Doesn't help that Stories revealed that the Fatalis has the ability to "possess" and control other monsters, making them stronger and more durable, as well as binding them to its will and making them utterly savage and remorseless.

I don't think a lot of people here are getting that Monster Hunter descriptions are primarily based on Asian poetics and not literal descriptions, otherwise in an instant there would very obviously be no world for hunters to live on nor even a human race or setting with the simple throb of a Fatalis or Dalamadur's dick

-Apex Hive Tyrants
-2++ against everyfucking thing

I like how MH lore is basically nature conservative message to the extreme

>Human Empire fucks up the setting so royally, Elder Dragons who are the embodymeny of the setting spawn to fuck them over, each time the human Empire counters one of the Elder Dragons, the Eldar Dragons respond until you get Fatalis, who ends the Human Empire.

It Mirrors the Dragons Dogma Universe honestly.

Apparently some of the dragons in both games share model skeletons, so that's unsurprising.

It's already been *shown* that Elder Dragon weapon and armor descriptions tie back into their actual abilities. And even if you *don't* accept the descriptions at face value, Frontier goes ahead and -shows- just how devastating Elder Dragons (and even some basic wyverns) are.

Grigori and the dragons in DD are designed after Fatalis a bit yes.

Though Grigori is far far more reasonable.

It's a postapoc world full of stable strains of genetically modified humans who put marines to shame in terms of raw strength and toughness.

I would flavor it as meteorites

>Though Grigori is far far more reasonable.
Gregori doesn't cause the world and all of reality to die just by simply existing within them for one.

I always figured that's what they were. I mean, a 'shooting star' isn't a fucking star crashing into the Earth.

How is that actually represented in-game?

Actually; Well he does.

Dragons in DD are there to judge the next candidate for the Seneshals of the world.

Dragons will burn the world down if an Arisen refuses to fight them, and offers them the choice of sacrifice or fighting to save the world.

I'd argue Arisen are stronger than Hunters because they have the hacks of never losing due to Player plot priority.

but thats the thing, hunters are equally bullshit

yes the cosmic horror dragon gods are nasty, but if you stick the bones of the previous dragon god into a mace and smack them over the head with it untill it dies then its fine

Regardless of who wins, considering the nature of both of these things, the end result is a flat out 'UNIVERSE LOOSES, EVEN KHORNE CRIES FOR MERCY'

We either get Tyranids with Elder Dragon power, or we get Elder Dragons with Tyranid Hive Fleet capabilities. Universe be beyond screwed

I mentioned that as well in my first massive post, it's something that always comes up with Japanese games and discussions on how X universe would handle Y. Pokemon is pretty notorious for that with the pokedex descriptions, granted it's made worse considering that it's an electronic encyclopedia and one should safely assume the data is scientifically factual and not just poetics.

But in the case of Monster Hunter, you do get plenty of times that descriptions and lore is right in regards to monsters as says. But until the game SHOWS some of the over the top achievements some weapon description claims it could do, I don't fully trust that a sword swing could destroy mountains or whatever it says it could do. But the monsters themselves? Don't have too much doubt in that case

If they used their actual abilities they'd have just destroyed the planet from orbit by colliding stars into it, tossing a black hole at it, or simply destroying the entire universe with a queef, there's no reason for the setting existing at all if their abilities are taken at face value.

I can accept Frontier attacks and mass planet-side devastation with ease but "they can destroy the universe in one swing" abilities taken at face value are some very massive asspull

They can also summon tornadoes and shit at a certain point.

That's just the spells though.

Dragon's cast spells in DD.