Couple invested $20...

>couple invested $20,000 in modern mtg cards and are now trying to cash out since the collection is only decreasing in value due to constant reprints

Should Wizards tone down their reprint policy?

This guy was spending thousands on mtg boxes to crack packs and build set collections but had to stop since the cards kept tanking in price.

Now he wants to invest in the reserved list or something else non-magic related and Wizards has lost a whale consumer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lUzEgicFg

>an "investors " gets btfo
Good. That fucker can eat shit and die in a ditch.

>scumsucking bottom feeders getting buttflustered by real world

Investors and speculators are the reason why card prices far exceed what demand would have them at.
Carnage Tyrant is a good example from the latest set - it's a sideboard card at best in decks and yet the price was set hilariously high and is still taking a long time to drop despite not seeing any real play. That's purely from shithead investors and speculators.

>Make an investment
>It's a bad one
>Lose money

Sounds like economics 101. Welcome to Capitalism, bitches.

The phrase "let the buyer beware" has never gone away. That people continually ignore it is not the fault of companies or consumers. People need to exercise some restraint and take their loses like adults. Fuck 'em.

Should have gone for Reserved List pieces.

The only way to make money with MtG is to become a predator to the Gordon Gecko wannabees out there. The guy on the video had the retarded notion that cracking packs was a good investment policy. Now, he has become prey for someone like this Rudy guy.

Who, adding insult to injury, makes a video for everyone to see. The fact that the wife was recording makes this the geek equivalent of a cuck video on xhamster.

>>couple invested $20,000 in modern mtg cards
Wait, but that's two dudes!

Am I supposed to feel bad for this person?

Investing in "antiques" or their hobby related equivalent is only worthwhile if it is longer made, has significant cultural value (ie: vintage Colt Single Action Army / 1911 GI pistols are still valuable in spite of both still being in production today) or is otherwise a relatively unique item that has value to collectors.

""Investing""" in an intellectual property someone else controls is retarded. The vast majority of expensive Magic cards are expensive because of what they do, not because they have an inherent value like early print comic books or albums. If they reprinted Shock Lands nobody would buy the originals for substantially more than the reprint's market price. If you invested a substantial amount of your finances in Magic cards with the idea of turning a profit you are a retard who should have just burned that money to keep warm in the winter.

>if the had taken $20,000 to an investment broker they could have turned it into an actual source of income with very minimal involvement on their part
>instead they are spending energy trying to manipulate a market they have no control over, hoping they can at least break even

I can't see why you should hurt the average consumer to help a few extremists like these. That would be like intentionally making the stock even more limited just so scalpers can have an easier time doing their thing.

Never invest in hobbies as a means of financial income.

>Raise awareness that it's becoming 'unprofitable'
>drive out competition
>Prices go up

Is 20 grand even worth broker's time? I'm not American but calculating it back to euro money it's half a year on average wage, two months on a good job.

>guy can only agree everytime Rudy pointed to a card and said that tanked in the value
>his wife has to watch this for 20+ minutes realizing she's made a terrible mistake
feel kinda bad for him desu

Wizards literally has a whole list of cards that they'll never reprint, specifically for investors to hoard. Buy Alpha PSA 10s or reserve list shit if you want to invest in Magic. Don't shit up the Modern market.

> investing in anything but the reserve list
> calling it "investing" and not speculating
lol muh tarmogoyfs

There are a few exceptions but those involve such an enormous upfront cost that it would be infeasible for most people to even get started. Firearms, motor vehicles and antique coins are generally "safe" investments provided they are properly cared for. They are likely retain value ahead of inflation and firearms can be sold during panics for %40+ markups over regular market value if you are into predatory pricing.

For "nerd" hobbies like comic books, trading cards, miniatures, etc its almost always a terrible investment.

Taking the money to a broker was the laziest, least involved option they could have taken and still reasonably expected to see a return on their money. Counting the amount of time likely spent collecting, cataloging, shopping, trading etc for the cards in that collection the actual loss is probably higher than just stacking numbers against one another.

How about you spend your money on a real investment?
You know, like a normal fucking person.
Imagine if he had spend this on stocks that represented the S&P index 10 years ago.
He would have gained 50% on this investment.
Now he's in the fucking doghouse for investing in cardboard that can be produced in mass at will.

>Now, he has become prey for someone like this Rudy guy.
>Who, adding insult to injury, makes a video for everyone to see.

I think the only reason why he was willing to be made a fool of on youtube for Rudy's benefit is that he was hoping Rudy would buy his cards.

>have $20,000
>can invest in on Wall Street (or even some Eastern European stock exchange for maximum value)
>can buy art like painting sculptures or antiques, ie. shit that increases in value over time
>decide to "invest" in a fucking card game
>blame others for your bad life decisions.

let it be a lesson for anyone else trying to invest in the game. Don't be a retard and leave it to the pros.

>investing on modern
>not investing on vintage/legacy staples
imagine being this fucking retarded

this desu

>Invested in modern
Should have invested in duals.

mtg finance are the reason why it takes the price of two cars to get into modern. I hope all of these fuckers end up on welfare and have to get real jobs.

>"investing" in mtg cards
You know, I have a bridge to sell...

>investing 20k into children’s card games

If you want to treat MTG like an investment buy stuff off the reserved list.

Beyond that it's a hobby to be enjoyed like anything else. The prices should be followed for trading purposes and for when you're ready to cash out.

Um, yes. They don't manage your money directly, you put it into a fund of your choice.

>Should Wizards tone down their reprint policy?
If anything they should ramp up their reprinting. The reserved list wasn't a particularly great idea even at the time, and it's only gotten worse after the game properly stabilized.

I want some new blood in type 1.

20 grand is more than what most Americans can get together in one place. It's an exorbitant amount of money for cardboard. The last time I was in a position to invest I had less than 5 grand and my broker handled it.

FLASH NEWS: "Idiot couple made idiotic thing".

What's the problem?

Sometimes the bad guys lose.

>magic stores loosing a customer who spent $$$ on their sealed products
the less customers buying from stores means the less stores order from wizards. it hurts everyone in the long run.
wizards doesn't benefit from people investing in the reserved list.

Jesus Christ, the absolute state of the US. I'm 25 and I'm only working minimum wage jobs at three-quarters employment while I'm finishing my degree and I know for a fact that I can get 35k together by tomorrow just by calling in all of my accounts, fonds and three life policies running on my name. This is absolutely normal for anyone with two middle-class parents that give a shit around here.
I feel so bad for you guys.

>20000$

dude could've bought a vintage deck with that money probably, which would've only increased in value. what he did instead was just gambling, his fault to be honest.

Investors aren't whales. SCG, CK, T&T and CFB are WotC's whales.
People are low on WotC's sales radar, they sell to companies. This guy wasn't even a dolphin, hell Rudy may be the dolphin.

It's their fault for dumping that money in to magic and not something safer

Don't feel bad, we've got FREEDOM! The FREEDOM to be in ridiculous amounts of debt and have fucking no money ever!

Cardboard shouldnt cost more then 5$ in the first place

They just need to cost-benefit analysis losing buyers like this to gaining buyers with reprints. Also development time saved with reprints.

Yup. But hey, at least all those millionaires and massive corporations are getting tax cuts.

Rumor has it Iconic Masters has the largest print run for a Masters set so far. And we're getting 25 Masters in march so it seems they have measured us and found the "investors" wanting.

>risky because of nonstop reprint sets
Is it really? [blank] masters only reprints, what, 3 cards that actually need it? It's much more risky because Modern has much less backing from WOTC.

>euro

>tfw european
>tfw i just run the numbers, and with my current wages 20.000 dollars are 13 years of work, without counting the unpaid holidays, sick days

Balkans?

central italy

communism is a hell of a drug

I guess you can always move up north and try to get a job as a waiter in Austria? I mean, if all the eastern yurops can do it, why not you?

There are always people looking to make money in TCGs. I can accept that.
What I don't like is people who complain that their "investments" are losing value because WOTC has the audacity to try and make the game cheaper so people don't have to pay 600-1k dollars to play fucking Modern. God forbid that Wizards attempts to try and get more people playing other formats, as well as GETTING MORE CONSUMERS AMD A STRONGER PLAYERBASE THROUGH REPRINTS because someone might lose money on cards they already own.

He's neither black enough to be a refugee or white enough to be a fake gypsy so northerncucks won't let him in.

The hell? I'm slav in slavlands and can set aside over 500 Euro a month just fine. Though I gotta say it gets easier when I'm single, childless and not an alcoholic.

Are you retarded? They should ramp it up. The game shouldn't cost that much to get into to begin with.

>Conversation is about average americans having 20k readily available.
>user talks about cashing out all his funds as if it's the equivalent.
Not everyone has upper middle class parents. I mean 3 fucking life insurance policies?

It was this kind of shit that lead to me quit magic roundabout the mirage release.

He didn't spend all of that money at once you tards. We don't even know how much this guy spent, just that it's been roughly 20 grand over 18 years.

This

Buy ABUR duals and moxen. Get them graded. Hoard those. Let people play with the rest of the toys.

he said he bought the zendikar expedition cards for roughly $1000 per set at the height of popularity hoping they'll increase.

he played for 18 years but most of these cards were acquired more recently than that and he certainly spent the bulk of that $20k during that time as well

>Played for 18 yeas
>Thought Standard sets would appreciate in value.

How can anyone be that high? If he was just getting into things and was lured in that'd be one thing, but if he'd been playing for even 5 years he should know that cards spike when they're in Standard, dip when they cycle out as Standard players dump them into the market, and then slowly creep up over time. Anyone investing should know anything not on the reserve list can be reprinted. If you want to make a profit on anything not on the reserve list you need to watch the news daily and dump anything that gets announced for a reprint.

If you want to hoard and wait you have to go on the reserve list. This guy smacks of the idiots who bought #1 issues of comics in the 90s. If you don't understand how collectables work you shouldn't be dumping five figures into it.

Jesus christ these two are stupid. For 20 grand these two could have put together a slick looking Kickstarter. They'd probably double their money in a year as long as they ship anything at all. Even if the game is half-assed and sucks it's less humiliation than they're going through now.

Christ, who the fuck buys masterpieces en masse. The only people who actually eant then are edh fags

Why didn't the stupid fuck just buy 20k in Hasbro stock?

>investing in cards that can take a significant hit from reprints
>not investing in lands that can literally only go up or reserved list cards that will never be reprinted

Idiots spent their money like the idiots they are. Nothing to see here.

Hell I'm italian too, but working full time you can reasonably expect some 1000$ tax free a month if you are not a nigro working picking tomatoes...

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

FUCK INVESTORS EAT SHIT

>Gypsies and Rapefugees
>Working as waiters
Please, your Americlap is showing

I'll educate you how this is done in central Europe:
>Be from shit-tier country
>Apply for work in Austrian skiing resort
>Do that for a few months
>Pay is shit by Austrian standards because gastronomy sector was too stupid to unionize in the 70s
>Still better than anything from shit-tier country by a wide margin
>Go home with full pockets and live like a king
Has worked perfectly for about three decades now.

Over here having more than one austere life insurance pretty much means your parents want to kill you and profit off it.

At the time it was what saved the game. However, it is an antique, the policy never should have been indefinite, though I understand why it was in the moment. The reserved list should be lifted and new, less desirable copies of the old cards should be printed on a large scale.

No, that's the risk you take with any kind of investment.

he has a shitload of fetches, shock lands, scry lands, pain lands, and sets of zendikar expeditions.

problem is that they're hampered by high print runs which makes the value slowly rise up and improved counterfeiting is hurting the pre-2015 market.

of course if he was investing mostly in foils then he would have been much better off.

I'm 36 and live in generational poverty along with literally everyone I know: friends and family. I have no skills except in fields I can't afford to break into, and no formal education beyond the 9th grade. I have no credit rating to speak of. I could put together $650 if I count all of the cash I keep hidden in a box, and a couple of debts I know my buddies are good for. My PC (my primary means of both communication and entertainment) is 7.5 year old, and was not top of the line when I decided it was still worth stealing.

This is normal for the sort of low income absentee-single-parent households common in my area.

What percentage of his investment was lands, anything less that 75% for modern legal cards is just idiotic.

I mean the idea of investing in mtg is idiotic anyway, but you know.

Sounds like non-retarded mexicans in Murrika
>Arrive without education begging for backbreaking construction work
>Become a fucking sponge for all you see and hear
>Go back home with traced plans and get rich making mcmansions
Only stupid immigrants seem to stay where they migrated to.

Average household is a couple weeks away from bankruptcy. You don't actually work if you really think 20K is no big deal.

>I know for a fact that I can get 35k together by tomorrow just by calling in all of my accounts, fonds and three life policies running on my name. This is absolutely normal for anyone with two middle-class parents that give a shit around here.
There is no country on Earth where that is a normal amount of wealth for a wage slave 25 y/o.

Hello Veeky Forums

I am gathering market research on player interests in insurance for trading card damage. (Accidental and normal wear and tear.)

((5 Question Survey, less than 60 seconds of your time, this could lead to a better solution for reprint insurance.))

Survey Monkey ID: 68P8352

This market survey is explicitly targeted at an insurance option being pre-sold at the time of card purchase.

IE Let's say a standard booster pack is $4, this survey is to determine if there is consumer interest for booster packs that cost slightly more, $4.50 or $5.00 but they would come with a lifetime insurance guarantee for damage. ((The payout for this would be a fresh reprint.))

Switzerland.

He's just some euro-trash trying to jerk off his country and virtue signal over 'those poor Americans'.

Urban or mountain?

If the average household is up to their ears in loans for things they never actually needed, they are kind of asking for it.

Seems normal to me, unfortunately I have trash working class parents without any assets, property, savings or hell, anything at all really and I could still muster up around 30k when I was 25.
In Europe generally the minimum wage is much higher but the maximum wage is also much lower than the states of freedom.

>Wizards stops reprinting things
>every format but Standard ends up even more irrelevant than Vintage due to cost
>investors realize that the only human beings
with any interest in their ancient unusable cards are other investors as a result
>say you are one of the 2-3 people hoarding every copy of Stormcrow on the market
>literally the only human beings who want your cards have several thousand copies already, and will not buy for even fractions of a penny to the dollar
>end up going bankrupt and burning the Crows for warmth
>why won't WOTC support my investment?

>investing in cardboard
>not investing the production of cardboard

>Have non-retarded parents that both work
>They start putting a littoe something on the side every month ever since birth and invest smart on behalf of the kid
>Top off with a bit of shitty part-timing
Absolutely achievable

LOL geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet fuuuuuuuuuuucked

>if you're into predatory pricing
psychos gonna path

>actually investing in a kitchen table card game
>not even playing the game

No.

I don't think a single person should buy that from you but I bet you could sell insurance on expensive cards implying they could then be reasonably played with (candalabras for 20 or some shit) The math on the packs works out so poorly for the consumer overtime and packs are for chumps in the first place (see above about predatory pricing i guess.)

Sure, but it's achievable pretty much anywhere, provided you have parents with money who play the stock market and make smart investments. So basically, what he's really saying is that being upper-middle class is awesome
>t. upper-middle class american

Thank you for your response.

It will be considered as an answer of "I do not support insuring cards."

Based on your response, you are not the target demographic of this survey.

Your response will be discarded, thank you.

Why the fuck would you spend 20k in modern cards instead of reserve list cards? You're literally asking to take a dick in the ass at some point in the future.

This couple is stupid, deserves to lose all that money.

Born mountains, raised urban.

>person who wants to make money mad at a company that wants to make money

It's like pottery.

No, people should be able to play the fucking game. If wizards thinks a card is too powerful to reprint it should be banned. Otherwise just reprint the fucking thing.
People who try to make money off card games are stupid fucks.

Christ. Move out to Alaska and you can hit the poverty trifecta.