/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Ordinator edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except Vehk and Vehk
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa: ???

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Namira
en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Taste_of_Death
youtu.be/efHCdKb5UWc
en.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Miraak_(person)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't mind me, just posting the best armor.

That's not porcelain armor.

Also

>no link to past threads

Goddamn this board moved fast

I couldn't find the past thread, and I haven't been here in months.

Also, the best armor was already posted in the OP, you plebs

Nah, I looked as well and it's not in the archive.

Topic for discussion, how would you represent Hammerfell in an TES set tabletop game? The Forebear/Crown conflict, the changes in cities and land, that kind of stuff?

You missed the good armor, let me help.

bump with memes

Balmora looks like such a nice place to live.

More Nord wisemen, tales told with mountain shaking words of power and Dragon Cult pls

>Note treemdson calipers
what?

How's the Clockwork City DLC for ESO? I'm a bit of a sotha sil-aboo so I'm tempted to start playing it again. Any new cool lore from it?

You're both wrong.

Is there any lore linking the dragon cult to Alduin's change in behavior? There's a mini dragon-break at Labyrinthian, might the priests have monkey danced Al from 'world-eater' to 'world-subduer'?

freemason, i believe

I wish Morrowind Expanded meant that Vvardenfell was just made so much bigger to include a metropolis balmora, and a massive Vivec that would take three in-game days to walk from Foreign to the Temple.

Why did Orcish smithing techniques seem to degrade so rapidly between the third and fourth eras? Orcish armor had style and strength before the events of Skyrim. Now they just look like someone slapped slabs of metal together and painted them green.

No official reasons as far as I'm aware. I'd be willing to guess it's mostly just Bethesda being Bethesda, but I could see it being explained that the better smiths died during the Oblivion crisis, and didn't pass on their knowledge (either because they're illiterate and couldn't write the info down, or they never took apprentices, thus never passed on the techniques).

wonder if resurgent dragons might make for a resurgent dragon cult.

With the dragons all being put down singlehandedly by the Dovahkiin, it'd be more likely for people to fight back than submit to the will of the dragons once again.

Where are the Highlands? Judging by the geography of this map, the most critical points of conflict would Riverview and Riverpoint. You can grasp an understanding of how a Forebear-Crown conflict would play out. With Crowns scorching the Dak'fron farmlands and seizing Lainbon to cut off Gilane from Taneth while also attempting to force a path through the Corten into Goldmoor. While Forebears attempt to supply Sentinel by sea and forge a land route through the Alik'r Desert.

So much you don't even know.
And now legends is going back to the CWC too. It's a Sotha Sil year.

Question for the thread. Should Gilane be situated on the east coast or the west coast as it was in Arena.

>Gilane
The map on UESP has it closer to the east coast, but it's my opinion that it should be closer to it's original in-game location as official in-game stuff tends to trump out-of-game references.

Nah. Cammona Tong, Thieves Guild, pissy guards, Hlaalu skullduggery, general Dunmer grumpiness, ash from that shitty volcano, blights, ravenous monsters right outside the gates. It would be shitty. .

You think? I've figured that Hegathe as a Crown settlement would be less open to commerce from the outside world. Giving the location of Gilane a purpose when it would other wise be overshadowed by Taneth on the east side of the peninsula. Though if it were more inland this is something I had in mind.

Orcish armor appeared like Samurai/Akaviri armor. They made it more stereotypical “Orc style” for Skyrim to differentiate the cultures

Pic was only semi-related. Also this one is totally unrelated

No waifus in tgesg please.

Can anyone think of a reason a mortal would worship Namira or Peryite? I want to roleplay a cultist, but I can’t even justify it to myself

Okay, but only because you’re so polite

>Can anyone think of a reason a mortal would worship Namira or Peryite?
Sure. You shun conventional society and wish to live in the service and worship of Namira. She already has followers, you just have to want to join them or help her spread her influence.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Namira
en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Taste_of_Death

>Peryite
They have a disease that they have no chance of curing without the help of Peryite's intervention. Peryite may or may not have caused the disease in the first place.
>Namira
You're into some nasty shit and want to be respected for it.

I consider the elder scrolls travels games to be canon but not ESO or the elder scrolls books, am I a bad person?

>Balmora looks like such a nice place to live.
Kek.Vvardenfell is a shithole.Most islands would be 100% forested hundreds of years after a volcanic eruption,but Vvardenfell is still fubar 700 years after the last eruption.

Something must be preventing its recovery.I wouldn't even get close to such an obvious den of the purest evil.
>Can anyone think of a reason a mortal would worship Namira or Peryite?

youtu.be/efHCdKb5UWc

The books are legit, but Tbh ESO shouldn’t exist. Bethesda should have funded ES6 instead

No, but I consider the books to be canon.

>I looked as well and it's not in the archive.
>I couldn't find the past thread

Hey guys, so whats the story behind Mirak from the dragonborn dlc? I never bought it but from what I've heard he sounds like a very interesting character...

en.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Miraak_(person)

So what are your guys favorite personal bits of headcanon? Mine is the thought that either bosmer aren't mer or the khajiit are.

Daggerfall on the east coast of High Rock.

kek, well shit, I missed that. Thanks, user!

Personally, I feel East Coast makes for a better placement, West Coast doesn't work for trade.

Here's another map if it's good.

Well, remember that Forebears are also largely nomadic/rural as opposed to urbanized.

I don't see how ESO and TES6 are mutually exclusive in any way, also ESO has tons of good lore and has been generally respectful to the prior games. The team that took over towards the end of development and has handled the DLC have been particularly great. I don't see how any sane person could go out of their way to not consider ESO canon but they just accept the continued retcons in the singleplayer games (especially Oblivion).

>West Coast doesn't work for trade.
Elaborate.
>Forebears are also largely nomadic
Where does it say that?

ESO started out REALLY BAD. From that point forward, ESO could do no good in the eyes of most fans. The single player games and their retcons be dammed, ESO was just a slap in the face and people didn't like it and still don't.

I'm also not playing a fucking MMO.

My favourite is the possibility that Sheogorath created the Shivering Isles in an attempt (possibly successful) to mantle Lorkhan.

I also like the idea that the Trinimac worshippers that became the Orsimer were racially Dwemer.

> Really strong statements about the quality of the game
> BTW I don't like the genre of the game and haven't played it

Don't play the game if you don't want (I have no intention of playing TES:L because I don't like the grinding inherent to online CCGs, for example), but don't comment on games you haven't really played and on lore you haven't really read. It is tiring, dull, and contrarian.

>Elaborate

I fucked up, I meant to say West Coast for placement, that's my bad.

East Coast doesn't work for trade because it competes far more with other cities.

>Nomadic
First Edition Pocket Guide talks about how a lot of the original colonists of Hammerfell moved out into the desert after the rest came into the cities.

I read about the base game before it came out and after it came out. I didn't like it and choose to ignore it. The fact that people still don't like it to this day should be enough of a hint that they fucked up and people don't like the fuck up.

I don't really give a shit what additional stuff they added with expansions/DLC, ESO is non-canon to me.

You're welcome to make stupid, uninformed, highly basic decisions about what you consider canon based on hearsay without reading any lore just because you don't like MMOs. But your ignorance leaks out when you make strong statements and share strong opinions without any detailed arguments. A reasonable person would have just said something to the effect of "I don't consider ESO canon because it is an MMO and doesn't come from Bethesda" like the vast majority of people who don't consider it canon do. But instead you felt it was highly important in a lore-oriented thread to evangelise about how much you hate lore you haven't read for reasons that have nothing to do with lore.

It is people like you that make it impossible to discuss actually interesting lore tidbits from ESO like all the new Argonian lore or the depiction of the Clockwork City without endless rants that come down to "I played it in beta and I hated it because I don't like MMOs so stop talking about it."

Yeah, I did feel it was important in a lore-oriented thread to talk about how much I dislike a game I consider non-canon and write off it's lore as irrelevant because they made dumb mistakes in the beginning. It being an MMO is an entirely unrelated. For me they fucked up from the start, and no amount of DLC lore can be a bandage for the shit start they got trying to drive a wedge into the official timeline.

You want to discuss the new shit, be my guest, I'll do my best to ignore it and weed out the references in places like UESP that come from ESO and legends.

Agreed. "B-but DLCs a-are good!" doesn't excuse the fact that the whole thing is built on a shitty foundation.

No this user
I am currently playng the game since it went B2P and I can asure u for each decent pease of lore theres a whole lo that makes me want to pull out my eyes while i autisticaly screech "THIS IS NOT FUCKING CANNON". Somo things are good while others are utterly bad or just boring. Also for all the previus lore they respected theres a lot more they rape.

I've got it in my head that Boethiah and Mephala were consorts of Lorkhan but thus far I can't seem to find any evidence supporting this. Sure I read it somewhere tho. This sound at all familiar to those of you well versed lore? Am I subconsciously pulling things out of my ass?

You're actually not qualified to discuss the merits or canonicity of lore you haven't read. It is ironic that in order to avoid meeting this point headon you've created this strawman that somehow this was always about the quality of the DLC vs the base game. It was never about that and none of my points ever even suggested that. You've intentionally chosen to make that the point because you don't want to argue about the canonicity or strength of ESO lore because you don't know anything about it. You know you're being idiotic so please stop.

This guy would actually be worth talking to, because he's actually read the lore and has informed opinions about it. See the difference. He has negative opinions about ESO but doesn't inflate them without reason and can actually back them up. You two are intentionally being hyperbolic to inflate your self-worth and sense of superiority by being "purists". I don't like ESO lore as much as the lore from the base games (excluding Oblivion, which I find largely boring and had negative influences on the tone of the series), but I personally don't see any reason to not consider it canon when the series has always been willing to retcon things left and right with each new title. Some people who've played the game disagree and won't treat it as canon unless they're forced to. Those are both valid opinions. Whining because people like something you don't like and attacking it when you haven't even read the relevant source material is being intentionally ignorant and self-important.

>You're actually not qualified to discuss the merits or canonicity of lore you haven't read.
Fuck off.

Meant to be for and instead of whoever I actually put there

Do you find the notion of requiring evidence and familiarity with the relevant facts in order to make assessments or rational arguments somehow offensive and controversial? That would explain a lot.

No, I think you're being a twat. I don't like ESO, I think the base games "lore" was shit and I don't want anything to do with it, it's DLC be dammed. You're not going to change my mind by trying to get me to read it. I don't like it, I think it was a stupid decision designed as a cash grab and I want nothing to do with it.

I'll leave others to discuss it well enough alone, but if we're talking about ESO lore specifically, I'm going to have negative opinions about it.

> I don't want anything to do with it
> But I'm happy to evangelise about the quality of it in a thread that has nothing to do with that

You're the one actually inserting your opinions about something you know nothing about into somewhere it doesn't belong. No one cares if you like MMOs or not. No one gives a damn about whether you like ESO or not,
and you need to stop proceeding like we do. The discussion was only ever about lore-related reasons to consider certain entries into the series canon, not your blog about how much you hate ESO.

I'd strongly expect the ego required to find that acceptable or normal would make you the twat rather than me. But I'm not going to insult you for your opinions about a video game no matter how arbitrary and irrational they are.

>You're the one actually inserting your opinions about something you know nothing about
I know enough about the main game's lore to have an opinion on the bad "lore" presented in the base game of ESO.

>No one cares if you like MMOs or not.
Which is why that one point was never the main point I was making.

>No one gives a damn about whether you like ESO or not,
>and you need to stop proceeding like we do.
This entire discussion is framed around ESO and how it fits into the canon of TES. I don't think it fits well because it was a bastardization from the start.

>The discussion was only ever about lore-related reasons to consider certain entries into the series canon
How about the fact that the lore from the start was shit and they've been trying (apparently) to make up for it with the DLC. Starting out bad is a good enough reason to not consider it canon in my book.

> Keeps making statements about the quality of the lore of the game "from the start"
> Without knowing anything about it

Disregarded. You're literally basing your entire outlook on hearsay, no one else is obligated to take you seriously because you're being intellectually ridiculous.

Several people, before the game came out, and after the game came out were discussing the lore found within the game. Yes, I'm basing my opinion off screenshots of text, things people posted, and from reading about the story of the main game online instead of having sunk hours into the game to have done it first hand. I've also read (had to check sources) on UESP about the new lore content, and while not all of it is bad additions, I'm not going to sit and cherry pick the things I like from the things I don't.

I don't consider ESO canon. That's my opinion based off what I have seen/heard/read of it. If you want to discuss it, feel free; I chose not.

No, just wrong

With how Oblivion and then Skyrim turned out to be, does it really matter if something is canon or not at this point? I think just saying that modern TES is utter shit is suficient.
Oblivion at least had some nice underlying lore if you forget about the shitty implementation.

Please post objectively worst armor.

I can't think of a single time I ever used this armor outside of maybe filling an empty slot until I found something better.

The problem with Netch armor in Morrowind is that Netch Leather pauldrons, greaves and boots are supposed to go together with Boiled Netch Leather helmet and cuirass, while the gauntlets go with regular Netch cuirass and helmet.
Fun fact: despite being relatively bad stat-wise, netch leather is still supposed to be better than the regular western leather, according to in-game dialogs.

Yeah, I'd believe it's named wrong, or unintentionally mismatched.

>has been generally respectful to the prior games.
The base-game was really heavily lore-breaking. Cyrodiil's jungle climate before Tiber Septim's rule was ignored (though they added a jungled area in post-game content). The Amulet of Kings should have been lost until Tiber Septim discovered it in Sancre Tor. Books from the future are brought to the past because I guess Hermaeus Mora can facefuck Akatosh if he wants.
>The team that took over towards the end of development and has handled the DLC have been particularly great.
I don't disagree here. DLC content is the only reason I got as far as I did. The base-game is entirely uninteresting.
>I don't see how any sane person could go out of their way to not consider ESO canon but they just accept the continued retcons in the singleplayer games (especially Oblivion).
We bitch about jungles and the Colovian/Nibenean divide every thread.

I like the idea that Bosmer and Khajiit come from the same proto-ancestor.

Meme hat coming through

The point is more that a double standard exists because one is made by Bethesda and one isn't. With Oblivion and the like we just say "boy wouldn't it be nice if Bethesda did it better" but with Online we've got pitchforks ready to go when it is honestly better than it had any right to be considering it is an MMO spinoff, the kind of crap that normally kills franchises.

*best hat

What the hell were they thinking?

its designed to be the second tier light armor before you move on to something better like the thieves guild or dark brotherhood uniform

Yeah, but it's still ugly and silly looking.

So are you

Wow, rude!

heh shut up

NIce quads, but why are you being such a meanie?

I'm sorry.
I... love you~

>Can anyone think of a reason a mortal would worship Namira or Peryite? I want to roleplay a cultist, but I can’t even justify it to myself

>Peryite

Either carry a dissease them selves or a family member is sick. Or just a crazy alchemist or restoration wizard who studies dissease.

>Namira

You are a canibal... And like creepy crawlers.
I seriously think that the Falmer will start to worship her in the future.

>start Morrowind
>buy Chitin armor 5 minutes in
>tens of hours pass
>weird, I wonder when the next tier of light armor will pop up
>google it
>chitin, which is sold for pennies in the starting town, is the second best light armor in the base game

i never saw that as a bad thing, part of morrowind's appeal and why people still play it even today despite there being better games released during its time was that it almost felt like a 'real' world where nobody holds your hand or tells you everything and there's no blatant power levels to everything, which makes it a fun game to blunder through the first time then get hooked as you slowly master it

That's because you didn't get attacked by the Dark Brotherhood pimp on your first night and got an even better one...

It describes the nomads as "primitive" and wholly Yokudan in contrast to the more cosmopolitan coastal cities. Nevertheless, Sentinel*, Gilane, Taneth and Rihad are confirmed Forebear settlements. So I do believe I am on point on how I laid out the conflict between them and the Crowns with Dak'fron being the sight of heavy fighting.

what about skaven? it seems to be directly in the center of hammerfell and right on the line where the desert gives way to the temperate mountains. what culture lives there and how would the crown/forebear infighting affect it?

Sorry.

Does "Skaven" come from anything or is it just made up for WHFB? There's a constellation in EVE Online's Fountain region called "Skaven" too.

most fantasy names are random letters stuck together so probably just made up

Probably a play on “scavenger” given that they’re rats.

The thing is the "Crownlands" are mostly inaccessible and Skaven is off the beaten path. That's the strength a remote rural resident has over an urban foe. Since the prevailing culture north is Crown-leaning, Skaven would follow suit. Where Crown loyalists would gather their forces before heading off on campaign. I imagine it having a very chauvinist spirit because of this with it's greatly remote isolation.

I've always imagined Skaven having a very warrior-like society, though not particularly aggressive. More like keeping to themselves.

Of course during times of peace. "Keeping to themselves" is the basis of the Crown ideology after all.

So, anons: Lolth vs Vivec. Who would win? Would Vivec be able to convert the Drow to the worship of the Tribunal Temple?

lolth is a real god so probably her

Vivec hands down. Llolth is a moron.