/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Discord
discord.gg/HzAfUGt discord.me/5eg

>Previously, on /5eg/...
Today I've DMed a session where I amongst other things introduced an evil (but friendly, for now) party. The players loved every single minute of it, but liked their new friends especially - the barbarian even decided to hit on their bard. One night stand satisfied him.

How was YOUR last session, lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/v7j8xy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let's get that Xanathar pdf or more leaks going!

Will Cavalier be good? Arcane Archer nerf made me skeptical

>How was YOUR last session, lads?

My last session was 2 weeks ago. I haven't had the whole table together since the first session.

There's nothing like people skipping at the very beginning to kill a campaign.

If the pdf actually releases before the local store release or even amazon shipping dates, I will be surprised.

Arcane Archer got nerfed?

Making a Inquisitive Rogue with an archaeologist background for TOA. Mostly an Indy parody named Triboar Bobb.

I feel you. One of my fighters just came for the first two sessions and hasn't showed up ever after. I just kept going without him though, so whatever. And I haven't played these last two weeks cuz one of my mates keeps double booking and then he doesnt even go to the thing he scheduled, wasting all our time.

Yeah, a guy on reddit got the book

No more +1 arrows

fucking wizards...

After seeing some of the spells on XGE made for "gishes", I'm afraid caster supremacy will be a real thing...

We RPed a bunch of dialogue with two new acquaintances, then we rested and one of the acquaintances killed the other because the first was a doppleganger. The doppleganger then died to a poison he received from the acquaintance before it had killed them.

Thus nullifying both acquaintances and making all RP and interaction with either pointless.

Then we found a control console that has 48 possible button combinations and very little clue on how to proceed without raw experimentation.

>Implying caster supremacy isn't already a thing

ban all gish spells

I ran a halloween one-shot.
The moment the party entered Shadowfell, I started giving descriptions and dialogue in rhymes only.

WIZARD SUPERIORITY MY DUDES

Right now it's only a thing in white room theory crafting

Resting in armor rules is just recovering 1/4 hit dice instead of 1/2...

It could've been worse

If there was a metal chain held at both ends bu a Wizard and a creature respectively, could the wizard cast Shocking Grasp on the chain to hit the target? And if so, does this also apply to other metallic surfaces? It's a touch attack so mechanically I assume no, but logic and the rule of cool would lead me to believe it was viable. Would you allow this Anons?

That was always going to happen. It's what happen when casters have access to a system that keeps getting updated (spellcasting, and it can only get better, never worse, because you're free to ignore worse spells and pick and choose the better ones) while martials remain pretty much the same. Even with the best design the only direction casters can go is up. It's one of the reasons why a universal system of maneuvers would have been smart, if only so they could keep updating martial classes by throwing in a few new maneuvers each book along with spells.

You shouldn't rest in any clothes at all because the cloth can infect your wounds.

>t. Marshall
Good luck with your special maneuvres when you're being shocked to death through that metal armour

For my campaign which has a lot of exhaustion for things, not being able to heal for exhaustion is a huge deal.

no.
The mysteries of the arcane are a funny business. Oddly, spells only behave exactly how they are worded.
>Lightning springs from your hand to deliver a shock to a creature you try to touch. Make a melee spell attack against the target. You have advantage on the attack roll if the target is wearing armor made of metal.
>shock to a CREATURE
>you TRY to touch
>if the target is wearing ARMOR made of metal

Really wanting to start up a West Marches style campaign right about now... how many hexes worth of locations do you think I would need to have ready before starting a session?

You also shouldn't rest lying down naked because the floor is dirty, the only viable option is to hang from a beam by your hair

Where are these spells?

Nobody is going to use resting in armor rules, right...?

No because the dusty moisture on the beam can drip down onto your strained scalp and enter your pores.

Should have been: it's actually comfier to sleep in armor because it's like having a bed attached to your body

Yeah, that's a shame. Flame spells ignite flammable materials but electrical spells don't conduct through metal, unless it happens to be worn, and even then only sometimes

Unless you sleep in fetal like a normal person. Lardass sleep-on-back-and-die-of-obesity-induced-sleep-apnea fa/tg/uys wouldn't understand tho

Imma use them. Why not? You really think I'm going to TPK in a long-rest interruption encounter because the Paladin has 10 AC? Naw. It's just that dramatic tension moment of repelling an attack in the middle of the night, with a sleepy wizard without his mage armor and a Paladin in his holy pajamas

What about resting on the top of Leomund's Tiny Hut naked under the stars?

And why should armor restrict you from sleeping foetally?

Are you flirting with me?

>He doesn't pad the right-hand side of his platemail to sleep in the foetal position
>He doesn't also pad the left in case he rolls over in the night
>No pillow helmet
>No easy-access middle-of-the-night-pissflap greaves
>No bunny slipper boots
Kek, enjoy your 1/4 hit die scrub

It wouldn't, but it also wouldn't feel like sleeping in a bed. Also "foetally" wtf can we just nuke Britland already

Wizards are getting too many spells in XGE. XGE is essentially adding up to
>Wizards, already a great class
>Is now the BEST class

>Bard watches from the shadows, barely able to restrain his laughter.

There's nothing quite like getting nasty on an opaque forcefield with a Wizard inside who can see everything user ;)

As someone who loves playing wizards, this makes me really excited for XGE. That said... weren't wizards already the best class?

>Bard is now aflame
Nothin personnel

>Wizard
Fuck that, at least the Bard is likable.

jokes on you, I'm already flaming!

>Wizards get TONS of new good spells
>Bards can pick two of them
Wew, Bards are really better...

>wizards are the only class to get new spells in xanathar's

>Not writing silent letters
And don't even get me started on aluminium you filthy Yankee Doodle? You know how Arkansas should pe bronounced? AR-KAN-SAS

Wizards get the best spells

I'd allow it, but giving disadvantage to the attack roll.

Seriously??? I love wizards but that kinda sucks for the other classes.

>pe bronounced?
great job.

Read the fuckin chain of replies

No, not really. All classes are getting new spells, even sorcerers.

Jokes on you, you picked Bard!

If the DM is okay with it, why not?
more than rule of cool, I think it's good to reward creative thinking.
You can always add some sort of drawback, like a -1 to damage or something.

OK good.

>Yankee Doodle
>Song about how poor Americans are
>Economy is stronger than Britburg even with a Head of State under threat of impeachment
>pe bronounced

Amerikey foreber!

jokes on everyone, I cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter!

Are sorcerers getting more than 1 exclusive spell?

>implying wizards of the coast would EVER let a filthy sorcerer have an exclusive spell

>implying WotC won't be bought by Valve and renamed Sourcerers of the Mesa

I DMed for the first time yesterday. It went really well.

My Paladin has yet to use his sword and opted to shield bask every opportunity so now it's like a thing that he favors the shield as his weapon so I'm wondering how I might go about getting him something that does more than 1d4 damage. How do you guys think I could turn Rheinhardt's shield into a magic item?

>wizard vs bard
>all the while the cleric is sitting there with about 5 new spells

You win this round until I learn Wish

>Not writing silent letters
You know the o in foetal was overcorrection, right?

>Valve buys WotC
>The only content added in the future is different looks for weapons and armour

Any new races of note in Xanathars?

>tfw Wizards are a race now

Quality > quantity

Fucking wotc... Clerics didn't even get any new spells from Elemental Evil companion.

But then again, they already do have a lot of good ones. I'm more concerned with Sorcerers and Warlocks, honestly.

>how I might go about getting him something that does more than 1d4 damage
You shouldn't worry about it, 1d4 is pretty solid. If he wants his guy to beat the living fuck out of people with his shield, let him. Hell, I'd even tell him that if he wants he can double hand it and get 1d6.

shield bash*

No, but Tortles are XGE content for AL

Holy Weapon is one of their (and paladin's) new spells and is godlike.

>5th level
>concentration, up to 1 hour
>enchant weapon
>deals 2d8 extra radiant damage
>on every fucking hit

>concentration
There's the catch.

I heard that the Hexblade's expanded spell list was changed. Anyone know what those changes are?

>on every fucking hit
Yeah, with the entirety of their one attack per round.
It's MASSIVELY inferior compared to spirit guardians, a 3 level spell.

Well, my last session involved going to a Drow city undercover in the guise of being a slave to our Drow wizard because we needed to obtain some ingredients for a copper dragon wizard who'd taken hostage one of us after she fucked up her potion and demanded compensation. Notably, there a Drow lady (a matriarch of some kind) wanted to buy my character for... reproductive purposes. Fortunately the Drow's Neutral and not Evil, and won't sell me in trade for three other slaves. Humanmons, gotta catch 'em all!

We tried to get across the forest where she lived, and a lot Cryosphinxes showed up like they're a gang, with a DMX theme in the background in my mind. We'd already met one of them, trying to exort out of us out of a valuable sacred magic book, and we kicked its ass and it ran off.

Now there were 8 of those thinsg ready to kick our ass. We managed to talk them out of it, for 90 gold and for the lizardfolk Paladin's mount.

That potion was a Dominate Monster potion for a white dragon, and said white dragon was not pleased at all. She went full dominatrix at us, demanding we give it for our lives. We refused. Cone of cold, which my Monk proceeds to dodge with a Kung Fu jump, and he attacks.

My monk knocked a goddamn dragon prone and we ganged up on her like there was no tomorrow. That only managed pissed her off beyond limits, making her make a beeline for the monk. Two crits in a row. Our DM doesn't even cheat, he simply is that much of a lucky bastard.

Two boops and I'm down on the floor, and rather than raise me so I can try and so shit, my party just carries on without me. I can understand since I'm a monk, but hey, even if I'm playing a scrubby class I'd appreciate not being actively dying.

And then the same cryosphinxes from before appeared, demanding payment from the dragon, which it hadn't, and we managed to survive the encounter.

The session ended with us going with the old dragon witch all the way down again to Drow city. I'm fucked.

Tried to ask it on another thread but it had reached the bump limit: As a Paladin, what do you kill and what you never kill?

Spirit guardian + spiritual weapon + melee hit/cantrip damage is going to be pretty hard to beat

>what do you kill
evil
>and what you never kill?
good

>what do you kill
Nothing, if possible.
>what you never kill
Time.

I think it's pretty obvious that you're supposed to be casting this on the team's Fighter

It turns a sharp stick into a Sun Sword, that's pretty good

>Paladin with Holy Weapon, GWM, Divine Smite, Improved Divine Smite and a Sun Sword
>One Shot Strahd tier monsters

They were talking about wanting to do more with the Shadowfell after all.

Forge Cleric with animate objects and a bag of forks is gonna be pretty potent

Any guesses on what the 5th level spell Enervation is?

The most efficient spell recycling for Sorcerers is with 5th level spells, except for a lack of variety of 5th level spells for Sorcerers that don't require concentration.

I think "you touch a weapon..." would not apply to improv weapons

Can my cleric buff my Shadow Blade? So that it does both Psychic and Radiant damage? Green-Flame Blade for more elemental damage?

I think they just mean using the spell in general. 10 tiny objects is 10d4+40 damage per round

It does but they're also both concentrations

I have a new pdf for the Trove!

Mortzengersturm, The Mad Manticore of the Prismatic Peak - Bookmarked
sendspace.com/file/v7j8xy

Exactly why I said my cleric buffs my Shadow Blade.

I really want resilient sphere to be an area target spell instead of single target. 1 minute dueling area. It will also help against rock fall/fall damage. Bubble shield

> tfw not leaked Xanathar's Guide.

Wall of force
Forcecage

What's a good resource to find a game? Both Roll20 and /gamefinder/ Have way too heavy of a player/DM ratio to actually get in. I've ended up DMing two campaigns I had no fun with, simply because I couldn't play in one and it was something to do, I just want to try 5e as a player already.

I have an open spot but DMs make bad players, you can't join

Friends