/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
What new spells in Xanathar's Guide to Everything are you excited for?

>worshipping any magic deity that isn't Oghma or Deneir
>being Chaotic anything while worshipping those bros
baka

Tieflings are a fine race and I don't know why people restrict them out of their games (or dragonborn for that matter).

Hey guys my bladesinger is doing really bad in melee and I feel like that's dumb because it's a subclass made for melee . I asked my dm if I could use booming blade as one of my attacks instead of an action and he told me to come here and ask if that's fair??

Robe of the Archmage is in fact the best thief item.

Go ask on reddit

Azuth is really a bit of a dick.
Mystra is your gal, she's also NG.

Catnap seems fucking amazing.

any tips for playing Monk Open Hand so that this Thursday I can be a decent teammate and not suck at this game too hard?

I told him that they said it's a bad idea but redditors are stupid

I can sell you a permission for 50 000 gold.
Or 500 dollars.

Use stunning strike.

Not him, but how exactly do you even justify Arcane Clerics. Why would a Cleric be a healer type AND ALSO an Arcane wielder.

It just seems so odd to me for a non-wizard to pray to Mystra/Midnight/Azuth

>Deal tons of damage from 4 attacks a turn
>Stun people
It's not hard, too bad mine died last session

If that were the case, there would be absolutely no reason for anyone to not use booming blade or green flame blade, ever.

Bladesingers are already strong because they get a load of AC, better concentration and more speed. They're stronger than the fighter because they have the best spellcasting in the game.

If you wanted to be a gish, you could have picked something that wasn't a dedicated caster and then picked an archetype that all it does is give you a buttload of AC.

Is Xanathar a cool guy?

It's the American Dream, you don't have to necessarily study for arcane powers, you just have to believe and worship the ideal enough and with enough work, anyone can do it!

Trying to decide between The Fading Spirit or Permadeath.

I'd rather go with Fading Spirit, but im not sure. Campaign should go to at leave level 14. Right now I am leaning toward Fading Spirit with Wish/True Res not working after a failed ritual

Are you retarded? It's not a subclass made for melee, you're still a fucking wizard.
Also, what the fuck are you talking about, don't you get booming blade anyway as a wizard? Don't be fucking retarded.

Would help if I linked the ruling

But seriously, is there something wrong with Mystics? I never see them or psionics discussed much on here.

>Dragonborn
Because nobody reads any fucking lore about them and thinks the only option to play is being the son of a dragon.
In Forgotten Realms, the Dragonborn were created to be slaves to the dragons of Abeir, then fled to Toril. So none of them is descends from a dragon of Toril. They're supposed to hunt dragons and not believe in gods.

There aren't any psionics in 5e you absolute penis of a man

aren't dragonborn supposed to just have the blood of a dragon at one point or another, or am I mixing up silverbrow humans?

My friend's playing a mystic in a game I'm running, he's having lots of fun and that's all that matters.

They're a tad broken at the moment. The power curve is pretty wonky, some features and powers are too strong and others too weak.
There should be a updated version in a few months so let's just wait for that.

Where is this from? Looks pretty cool.

Yes, he lives a comfy life with his pet goldfish

So hit me with your ideas for a sewer adventure
Especially non combat ones

I play a Awakened one he is good fun.

But you have to be a beast or plant to be awakened

I feel like I'm severely misremembering things I did when I was twelve but wasn't Xanathar the beholder who ran the thieves' guild in baldur's gate 2

Martial art list when?
Blood of the dragon god of creation.

Because any time we mention Mystics, it enrages the casterfags and derails the thread. So we talk about them in a secret code that the casters have yet to notice.

I don't get it. Why would they give extra attack to bladesinger if they aren't good at melee??

The city is now asking for adventurers to help them with their sewer clogging problem, as cleaners have gone missing or not returned. The clogged part happens to be under the Mages' Tower, they have been dumping all their ruined spell scrolls and broken wands and disintegration dust in there.
They find a civilization of sentient mimics, and gelatinous cubes in a cold war, the shoddily mended wands are the 'nukes'.

you should never be able to hold a candle to a pure martials melee damage, get over it, you can cast spells cunt

Yes, thats exactly who he is and he's ballin

Why is the "trove" a pathetic empty shell of an outdated tragedy... in comparison with the Pathfinder ones?

Yep, that's the one. Apparently it's a title rather than an actual name, so the beholder crime lords are known as The Xanathar or just Xanathar.
There's been a few Xanathar's.

About the goldfish
Disclaimer: No goldfish were harmed in the making of this book. Especially not Sylgar. Sylgar definitely did not die because we forgot to change his water. If you see Xanathar, make sure it knows that. Be perfectly clear Sylgar was not harmed. And we had nothing to do with it. Better yet, don't bring it up, and don't mention us.

Because the 5e trove has plumbing that works and doesn't get clogged.

P D F W H E N ?

Because you're retarded.

Bladesingers are like monks, you can hit hard but you're not meant to be in melee. Benefiting you however is your up to 9th level full casting.

What the fuck do you mean "not good at melee"
You pick up a weapon that does 1d6 damage and have a decent Dex or Str. Boom, you're fucking done. There's no BAB on a per-class basis anymore so a Sorcerer with 16 Str two-handing a spear is just as good as a Fighter doing the same shit.

Unless there's a rule that said "oh and your melee and ranged attacks deal half damage if you're a Bard/Wizard/Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer" don't gimme that shit about non-martials being bad at melee. Melee has a low barrier to entry and barely scales.

More Pathfinder books, not as many 5e books

To clarify, Xanathar was the first beholder crime lord of that guild and the name stuck.

Your subclass has some melee features for use as a backup, but your main class is still wizard. Melee is never supposed to be your plan A.

Booming Blade is designed to be the equivalent of casting any other damage cantrip. So you have a cantrip you can use in melee, a few other features that work in melee, and a very high AC, but consider all your spell slots and your complete array of wizard spells. Those easily outmatch all your other class features combined.

Its from the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting and I THINK its what Mercer uses in Critical Role (Though he used to have Single Action spells require a ritual, but eventually changed it, probably because they were high level and had to worry about shit like PW:K)

They're children of Io, but they were slaves in Abeir and fled to Toril. (SCAG 112-113). The entire "I'm son of a dragon" thing doesn't work in FR.

What do I do if I want to be a wizard that's good in melee then??

Same thing as the Fighter who wants to be a full caster.

Be less autistic.

Go bladesinger, or EK or AT. Or caster-martial multiclass.

What??

oh hey that's pretty cool actually. Will keep that in mind to make a DRAGON PALADIN, thanks for the clarification.

This isn't 3.5 where you could have the cake and eat it, sadly. You need to make choices... for now, until a Ruby Knight Vindicator is released.

Or, you know, play fucking Cleric + Paladin or something.

Pretty sure it's Matt Mercer's rules for resurrection.

It's a lot easier for the Wizard to be good at melee than for a Fighter to be good at casting.

Thanks, I'm wanting to run a high stakes straight forward dungeon crawl meant that's supposed to be hard as fuck so I like the idea of not being able to just keep resurrecting someone.

Just play a god damn cleric, or Sorcadin if you really want to gish.

Being a caster means you aren't going to be as good in melee, because you're a caster and that's plenty good enough. Spellsinger is just less bad in melee, and can hit just hard enough to beat out poison spray..

Wizard (bladesinger) if you want to be more wizard than fighter, or fighter (eldritch knight) if you want to be more fighter than wizard.

Also, bladesinger requires you to be an elf, in case that's an issue for you.

Play an
>Eldritch Knight 8/War Magic Wizard OR Abjuration Wizard OR Bladesigner Wizard 12

Also, don't forget to get War Caster.

There are a bunch of spells coming your way in XGtE just for what you want to do. Steel Wind Strike, Shadow Blade and Tenser's Transformation.

Sorcadin. It's probably getting even better with XGTE

Rather than having a dry and boring set of homebrewed mechanics to make your players' life harder, have something that makes sense in-game and can be roleplayed. A great many things can make the soul unavailable for resurrection, including being trapped or enlisted by a powerful fiend or celestial, being overcome with bliss or despair according to the nature of the plane, the soul being destroyed in an interplanar conflict, something going wrong and the soul becoming lost in Planescape, or the soul becoming one with the essence of the plane it's sent to. Come up with a table of things that might happen to a soul, refluff it depending on what Outer Plane it is, and roll it when someone tries to raise a dead PC. If a potentially bad result is rolled, have the dead player roll some sort of appropriate check to see if they overcome it. A failed result will mean they're temporary delayed or permanently unavailable, depending on what happened. (Don't have the teammates roll anything; this shit isn't happening to them.)

Makes me think there should be some wizard spells that are only actually good for the EK or AT.

>Green flame blade

After a certain amount of time another beholder finds him and kills him, taking on the title.

Order of the Awakened.

I honestly hate this lore a lot, given how little it's actually explored both in their design and in the swordcoast adventurers guide.

I'm playing as one right now
>Kid grows up in a village with lots of great Soldiers
>As hard as he tries he fucking sucks as a Soldier
>Decides to try and be a Cleric because he wants to contribute to the fighting effort of the village
>Isn't great at that and can never get his holy magic to manifest properly
>However he did get a couple of blue bolts to come out of his hand before (Though no one believes him) He later learns he is praying to a very anti-magic deity and his latent arcane ability isn't allowing him to tap into the deity's might like Clerics should
>Ends up being a Smith (Which he is great at), still tries to get better at fighting, never does
>Village gets attacked by Orcs, he survives but the mayor of the village dies, the new one casts him out as useless
>Character lives in the woods till winter, stumbles into the city desperate for shelter
>No one will have him cause he looks like a beggar street rat
>Finally he happens upon an Arcane Sanctum dedicated to Mystra
>They take him in, he is hard working so they allow him to stay, eventually he starts practicing Arcana with them
>Because he trained as a Cleric for so long his magic manifests as divine initially
>The Wizards are amused by this (As someone who can do both Divine/Arcane magic is incredibly rare), and encourage him to pursue a divine path in the name of Mystra
>TL:DR he becomes a Cleric of Mystra

heroes' souls should be harder to bring back the higher the level, and have potential consequences, such as loss of skills, having to reroll stats, alignment changes, loss of memories that may reflect into losing class features... The possibilities are endless.

>pathfagger has run out of thing sto insult us with and has resorted to calling our trove shit

>Booming Blade

If Wizard is not what you are looking for consider these....
>Draconic Sorcerer/Hexblade
>Stone Sorcerer (UA)/Hexblade
>Divine Sorcerer/Hexblade
>Divine Sorcerer/Vengence Paladin
>Vengence Paladin/Hexblade

Paladin, warlock-paladin, paladin-sorcerer, bard-paladin, valor bard, eldritch knight, arcane trickster, bladesinger6/rogueX, warlock5/rogueX or go for a wizard in heavy armour and just suck it up that booming blade isn't as powerful as a fully decked out martial. Booming blade is still decent damage.

How can you order an awakening, druids wouldn't use the internet, would they?

Yeah that sucks and is lame. I'm going with half-dragon or dragon somewhere in your ancestry cropping up as a genetic throwback.

Oh boy, my party is about to TPK, it's my third character this campaign already

>blade

what happened user?

I mean actual leveled spells, not cantrips that poorly try to fill a niche that the system falls apart trying to support.

Fire giants + orcs invading the city, half the party is down, the rest is really low, our only healer is a dumbass and keeps attacking every turn

That is legitimately the shittiest way to do dragonborn in my opinion.

You are fucking retarded. Those spells are great for low level gishing.

make less shit characters

>send my whiney player here so you guys can tell him why it's stupid to be a melee wizard
>now he's asking to change his character to a sorcadin
Here I thought I could trust you guys to shoot down a gishfag the one fucking time I needed you to

Alright am I missing something, or is my DM a fucking retard?

>Playing Cleric
>When we started the campaign our DM gave us each an artifact based on our class
>Mine was a Holy Symbol that required Attunement, gives me the ability to add 1d4 healing to any target when a spell is cast (Cleric Level/2, minimum 2 per long rest)
>This is OK, nothing particularly special, apparently it will grow more powerful "later"
>Still take some time to gather all the material components I need in case something ever happens to the symbol
>About to go into an extremely cold environment to fight an Icewrym
>Have two items attuned, someone offers me a Resist Cold Ring
>Take it, unattune my symbol and head out
>Go to cast a spell (Specify I use the component), DM claims I can't do that if I had a Holy Symbol
>Spend the next 10minutes pouring through books trying to find a ruling
>Eventually he gives up,"lets it go for now"
>Proceeds to argue with me for the next 15mins about when I acquired these components, have to pour through our trade logs as he "Hmms and Umms" about whether he remembered it.

His ruling is absolute bullshit right? It wasn't even a homebrew thing, he just claimed it.

Are you in my game? I got a poor guy who lost his first guy in the first 2 hours of my game, by literal bad dice rolls and running the wrong way with a swarm of snakes.

He just lost his second one while fighting the BBEG and trying to protect a plot McGuffin, he sacrificed himself to save his buddies and keep the McGuffin out of the bad guys hands.

They are level 10 now.

We had a paladin that had to quit the campaign some hours before the session because his work schedule changed and our wizard had to skip this session

Just ban multiclassing

Why hate on gish?

I find it okay because it makes the race grounded just like the others rather than the "I was born but never met my dragon mom/dad" dragonborn.
That's the same as having a Tiefling be some archdevil's child.
>and in the swordcoast adventurers guide.
It's the scope's intention, though. Tymanther is in East Faerun, so they didn't cover it in the book about Northwestern Faerun.

I told him to play an Avatar Mystic.

I take issue with the mismatched scaling mostly. Low levels it's fine.

In any case, catrips is where there is the least issue here. I'd like to see evocations that are better used by an eldritch knight than a plain wizard. Even if it's just "do damage to a target and also your weapon does extra damage next turn".

We already have multiclassed characters in the game and they're fine
Because he wants to rival a fighter while getting 9th level spell progression like every fucking gishfag wants

>We already have multiclassed characters in the game and they're fine

Then just say you're banning the Overpowered multiclass combos involving Paladin, Sorcerer, and Warlock. Because those are always the difficult ones dipping 2 levels of Paladin or Lock for a feature that scales great on a Sorcerer.

I get that, but I find there was litteraly a million different ways to make them grounded and explain them not being apart of the setting without just making them aliens.

They did not fled but was transported to another world by magic surge.
People actually trying to be son of dragon with dragonborn? I only play them as superior bipedal race and dragon man.
Given him the EK.

What mismatched scaling?

Sorry, user there are a lot of ways to play a full caster in melee, it may not be OP or as good as a martial but they it can be done.

Also, you should not tell your players what they should or should not be playing unless you banned it upfront. If one of my players wanted to play a Strength-Based Wizard or strength based Monk (Instead of the Pugilist) I'll sit down with them and do the best we can to make it work with what we have.

That's a shame. Paladin is fun on it's own for gish. No real need for multiclass.

Page 203 has all the shit about components.
1) If it needs a material component, use it
2) These things (pouch/focus) can replace it.