Party Betrayal

Anyone got any fun stories about party betrayal between close friends/allies?

Not really fun, no. Is betrayal supposed to be?

No, most people I game with agree that betrayal is too difficult to do right when left solely to the player, so we never bother.

Depends on which side of the knife you're on.

>DM has an "everybody gets one" policy, where our character gets to avoid death one time, but usually with some kind of catch involved
>Be a warlock
>Die
>Patron comes to me in my dying moments and offers a deal
>He'll revive me and get the party out of this doomed encounter if I steal some artifact of a rival deity
>Accept
>"Your character engulfs the surrounding 30 feet in black hellfire, melting everything around him into slag, and vaporizing any enemies caught inside."
>Note that we were in an adamantium fortress
>"Your eyes are bleeding black pitch, and each of your hands produce Stigmata as you immolate the rest of the undead"
>Basically sells the idea that I became the anti-christ for two rounds
>Note that the party is mostly Good, one of the players being a Paladin
>Note that the party thought I was a sorcerer, and me being a fiend warlock was unknown to them
>Get Sneak Attacked by the rouge and Smite-Nuked by the paladin in the next two turns, because the entire campaign has been based around demon hunting until this point

>We'd spent two months in Illinois, mostly in the ruins of Chicago. Winter was coming up and we'd picked out a place to hold up, started fortifying an abandoned factory on the lake.

Sort of a hex crawl on the shore of Lake Michigan. Getting to buildings, we'd roll to explore them, for hazards, enemies and resources. Sometimes the enemy roll would end up with mutants or raiders too strong for us to fight and we'd end up running away.

>Hard work, but we'd done pretty well to collect supplies when we came across a real catch. Two thousand gallons of kerosene in usable conditions in an old tank, a pile of shotgun shells and a bag with a thousand pure silver Mercury dimes.

Frankly, I was suspicious of the GM's motives at this point. That was absurdly generous. There is some whispers and a note gets passed along.

>Marcus barrows Sam's shotgun and checks it out, then uses it to shoot me before I can draw on him. Makes Sam throw her shoes, knife and pry bar into the lake at gunpoint, then gets in the boat and leaves us there after he takes my gun.

Sam's player fucked up here, we ended up with no supplies, a critical wound and this son of a bitch floating away on our boat with the silver, ammo and a bunch of the fuel. He takes a lot of pleasure with going back, fortifying more, buying a bunch of booze, a slave and material for traps that he passes notes to the GM about. In the mean time, Sam and I find some emergency shelter and eat a few rats while I try to heal enough to move without passing out.

Your party sounds like shit. You can do better user. Alternatively, make a character they think is a rogue, but is actually another warlock.

>It happens again
>This time the Paladin doesn't smite you.
>He smites the Rogue
>Then tears off his mask. He's a warlock too
>The rogue gets up. He wasn't acutely smited at all.
>Because he's also a warlock

Hmm. Might have a few stories here and there.

This isn't exactly 'betrayal' but it's borderline. One time I was playing the party bard and the entire party got put to sleep except for me since I was the only one to pass the save. We were just wandering down a forest path at the time and couldn't see who had cast the spell. So I'm freaking out because I'm basically on my own and I'm the squishy 3rd edition bard so I get my sword out and get ready to run. The DM then describes a ridiculously beautiful woman coming out of from between the trees. She's barely dressed and she gestures for me to follow her. As I remember I had to take a save and I passed.
INTERLUDE: I feel like I need to explain character details a little more.
>New to roleplaying and this is only my second character
>Decide to take the 'Amnesia' flaw because it looks fun, it helps to give my character some more details and I trust my friends to give me a mix of good and bad traits (Amnesia allows the DM to give you three flaws and traits of their choice if you didn't know)
>Get 'Multiple Personality,' 'Demonic Possession' and 'Nymphomania.'
>I learn to never trust anybody ever again.
>Decide to go with it because I'm a good sport
>Get a reputation for be a sicko due to playing a Nympho even though I didn't choose that character detail and am just decent roleplayer
>Later find out that other players were involved in creating this terrible combo of traits

So with that cleared up I think my character successfully identified the woman as a Nymph (as in the Fey creature) using his Bardic Knowledge. I decided that my character would probably take this opportunity to bang the Nymph because he's a Nymph and it's the other party member's and the DM's fault. So I left the rest of the party to chase tail. This was well before I was aware of the reputation of bards being whores btw.

>Your party sounds like shit
That's an entirely reasonable reaction, you can't blame them.

Had one about a betrayal that later lead to their own betrayal.
Traitor was playing a mercenary warrior in an adventuring party. During the battle with the evil warlord, he turns traitor, having been bought out several sessions ago by the villain.
Proceeds to laugh at the other players and generally talk trash ooc.
Full party wipe except the mercenary and a high born rogue who surrendered.
Fast forward several months of game.
Only the Merc and the Aristo are still original characters. Everyone else has made characters to be part of the new evil empire.
One of them plots to usurp the throne.
The Rogue let's it leak, but instead blames it on the Merc, whom everyone knows is utterly amoral and will do anything for money. Gets said character tortured to death for killing his emperor but failing to secure the throne. In final moments before he expires, right after his tongue was ripped out, the Rogue whispers into his ear...
"Thank you, if you weren't such a fool, I wouldn't be attending my coronation tomorrow."
When the Merc was confused by this, he continued.
"Who do you think suggested you to our late emperor in the first place...?"

In a one off adventure some college buddies and I were playing, we got to the final room of the dungeon where some cultists were summoning a very powerful demon. We just about killed all of the cultists when the last one completed the ritual and summoned the demon. Immediately, our rogue (who was chaotic evil but was masquerading as chaotic neutral the whole adventure) defected to the demon's side and backstabbed our paladin, sending him into the negatives. My very large monk leaped into the hellish vortex where the demon was standing to attack it and was obliterated as a result. Our party bard had accidentally crit stabbed himself for 120 damage earlier in the fight, so he was dead. All that we had left were the druid and the cleric. They both booked it out of the dungeon once the paladin was taken out, so that was the end of that adventure. It was a pretty fun adventure up until the rogue had defected. We probably could've won if he hadn't.

He was still helping the party, and they weren't harmed. It reads like he got PvP'd simply for having demon jizz on him. Unless the party made a habit of murdering every tiefling they encountered, it's bullshit. Demon-powered guy who fights other demon-powered guys isn't exactly rare in fantasy.

>"It's what my character would do!"
The other players are supposed to be your friends, if you just murder their characters like that you are That Guy.

So Reservoir Dogs Star Wars edition?

Yes actually, it led to a party split and a lot of the current plot. One PC didn't want to lose her husband to another, so they fled from her and convinced some of us to go with them (my character for example took the chance to steal an extremely valuable vehicle from the other PC), and so it split the party right down the middle with the betrayed half hunting our half on the run.

Their friend died and returned as the antichrist before their very eyes, and they were all involved in demon slaying business. Not attacking him would have been metagaming, since they would've done that in case it was a NPC too.

>adamantium fortress
An entire fucking fortress of adamantium? Nigga what?

Yeah but saving a demon guy just because he's a player character is metagaming. If it was NPC they would've attacked him too.

I am currently on the edge of betrayal and everything will be decided next session.
My character has a cursed sword which drives him against the party by playing on his insecurities and telling my character how his companions are disrespecting him and they really don't care and fuelling his jealousy. It doesn't help that when they discovered the truth about the blade, some of them even severed any ties with my PC and he feels betrayed by them. I have good feeling about it.

>lol wouldn't it be awesome if I played a warlock in a demon hunting game

So I'm in a party as a Cleric of Truth.
In my party is another Cleric of Truth, a rogue, and an Assassin. This is ADnD so the Assassin is Lawful Evil. Me and the other cleric where over kind about avoiding meta gaming, when meta gamed to give the Assassin some help.

>Assassin in the party has an evil book, tells him to betray us and kill our quest NPC the caravan leader.
>He makes some lame exscuse mid way in the campaign to be alone with caravan leader.
>Clerics wouldn't let them happen, but we let it happen anyway so he can finnaly get his chance and we can role play with it.
>Our Clerics are waiting for assassin to come back.
>Wait 5 fucking in game Minutes.... That's more than 5 out of game. And means a lot of combat was happening.
>We hear the caravan leader crying for help.
>We run and meet him halfway, he is yelling "that cunt is trying to kill me! Help!
>Assassin is caught red handed trying to murder him.
>Tfw he spent 5, mins in combat with a 1 hit kill NPC, so many misses.
>I run one and one hit the Assassin unconscious.
>He trial is short and sad.
>Poor guy was just defeated spiritual by his own failure as an Assassin.
>Execute the bad guy, keep playing.

It was more sad, but really fun at the same time. He really did try. He just couldn't get it done.

Why would you play a Warlock, a guy who has made a pact with the god damn Devil, in a game where everyone is hunting demons?

That's like a witch-hunting game where you show up with a broomstick and a pointy hat.

I once played pic related for jokes, except the koboldess fell for first party member to enter the cell and except the koboldess was actually a bastard (but still cherished) daughter of the world's oldest dragon. When they learned that, they quickly delivered the daughter back to the angry daddy because they didn't want him to go and take her back on his own. The koboldess wasn't very happy about that, because she would very much rather marry her newfound love. Her escaping love was relieved because he was getting too chivalrous for this shit.

Several levels later the party got in touch with the koboldess and offered her the marriage she wished for. She was exhilarated, but it was all a ruse devised so that the party could access her father's hoard and steal artifacts from it. They completed the heist and left her behind.

If a party in a campaign against unholiness watched anybody turn into the fucking Antichrist before their eyes, they should absolutely fucking attack him. Especially the Paladin.