/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2014/09/23/action-surge-spell-2/
dmsguild.com/product/223738/One-Grung-Above-5e
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Divine Sorcerer changes when?

> sageadvice.eu/2014/09/23/action-surge-spell-2/
> That's the rule when you cast a spell that has a casting time of "1 bonus action."

inb4 retard pretending that he know the rule better than the one that wrote them

>No OP question this thread is SHIIIIIT
What's your favorite suboptimal spell you take just for fun? Last thread had Gaseous Form and Gust of Wind.

Marisha Ray can seem to play well, just watch her in the Tower of the Curator game.

Has the XGE leaked yet? Did I miss it?

"I was born" + predictive text
She is mentally disabled

Strictly speaking, and taking a literal interpretation of the rules, here are a few examples for what you can and cannot do to cast leveled spells:

ACTION SURGE:
You can cast two leveled spells, because these are both ACTIONS.

QUICKENED SPELL:
You can't do this, because one of the spells becomes a BONUS ACTION.

REACTION:
This is possible, so long as you didn't cast a BONUS ACTION spell that turn. An ACTION spell doesn't prevent you from doing this.

Some cunt on Reddit posted it just to say that they had it and wouldn't be sharing anything from it. The option to buy it early after a 100-dollar donation to charity at a recent con came up. We have nothing concrete or reliable.

There are a couple pics and the d&d Beyond leaks which I'd call reliable.

I was Gaseous Form dude, another one I love is Cloudkill for the idea of basically using chemical warfare against people.

>Some cunt on Reddit posted it just to say that they had it and wouldn't be sharing anything from it.
Pretentious cunt. Aw well, the wait continues.

Featherfall + Gust of Wind should let you, if not fly, at least fall with style.

I liked the replies I was getting so I figured I'd ask again:

What are some unconventional build/story ideas for a paladin? I'm hoping to avoid playing the stereotypical sort of paladin if I can.

To be fair he didn't want to offend a faceless corporate machine that doesn't give a fuck about him or his actions and has no way to ensure he can't leak it or find him if he did.

To be fair, that pretentious cunt has been sharing information on Reddit.

Alright 5eg I need some advice
My players were fighting some frost giants, they ended up in a 20ft passageway with 5 frost giants in front of them. They decided that it would be a good idea to use a fireball to cause a cave in and kill the giants. Keep in mind that they were also in the passageway with the giants, about 10 ft away, their idea was to somehow only collapse the part over the giants while they were unharmed. I said it was a horrible idea, but they kept talking about how they were going to do it etc so I said sarcastically that it sounded like a great idea, apparently they missed the sarcasm. They decided to go ahead with it, and unsurprisingly caused a massive cave in. I had them roll dex saves to try and dodge the chunks of falling ice and rocks (the cave was unstable, they had already noticed 2 cave ins previously). 2 of them passed, only taking 1/2damage, but the sorcerer and fighter failed (the fighter crit failed) and were buried under rubble. All the giants died except one that nat 20'd its save and managed to leap to safety. The sorcerer then dimension doored out, but the fighter was trapped under literal tonnes of rubble and ice and I ruled that he had died. Keep in mind that he is an npc, in the party to help balance combat. My players got very angry at me, said it was unfair and unfun, that I hadn't telegraphed properly that it was a bad idea. They thought the cave in would hurt the giants 10 ft away, but not them. They said the sorcerer should have taken the fighter with her when she dimension doored, but I had decided that they were seperated in the avalanche while they tried to dodge falling chunks of ice etc. I didn't want to kill the fighter, but I thought it was appropriate, he only died because they made a terrible decision and I thought I showed pretty clearly it would not end well. Am I just being a dick, or are my players in the wrong here? After this happened they said they were not interested in continuing the session.

How many sessions does it take for you to feel like you understand a new character of yours? Concepts can often change or evolve after a small amount of play after all.

Well I've had 3 sessions with my new character so far and things still don't feel exactly right.

Plus I miss my Wizard.

I've felt 2-3 sessions really cements what how a character acts and behaves.

It wasn't even a player character?
You did the right thing, but it's understandable for players to be angry or upset at it. If they really feel that bad about it than can try to resurrect the guy.

they're in the wrong because of their natural stupidity. As a player I'm the striaght man to spot these things early and prevent others from killing themselves. Consider allocating a straightman to the adventuring party.

I know the rule, but I never understood why it disallows reaction spells while you could use an action spell + reaction as normal.
Or it's simply like that because most bonus action spells aren't that strong besides Divine Word.

Any Oath in mind?
Ancients is pretty easy, you can just be Chad/frat bro from Nothingtown, loves to party and have a good time.
Vengeance is pretty flexible too, any backstory that gives you a grudge- you don't have to be too dour or serious, just have a personal investment in stopping a bad guy (like any adventurer).

Depends, but usually 2 to 5 sessions.

I need maps to add to my collection

Good to hear it isn't just me that can stumble over this. I've planned a new character a lot, but I find myself wondering what his aspirations and goals are beyond a single objective.

Yeah, it was an NPC. They might have a bit of trouble getting the body back considering he is buried under literally tonnes of rubble, but that is a good suggestion
Generally my players are pretty switched on and tactical, they thought I was telling them it was a good idea even though I told them beforehand it was a bad idea, but honestly I don't think it is my job to tell them whether something is a good idea or not, dungeon crawling is dangerous and risky decisions can have bad consequences.

Has anyone here used the Wall of the Faithless from the forgotten realms in their campaign before?

Doesn't seem like something that would be directly involved in a campaign much beyond knowledge checks

>boots of false tracks

Ripped from the paizo forums, it’s the Beastmass Challenge! Taking some of the most dangerous monsters from the Monster Manual and placing them in a gauntlet of battle and blood. Only one may enter to face the challenge at a time. Fame, glory, riches, sexual favors, and more await those who succeed!

Fight Rules: no one flees for good - the pride of classdom and the Monster Manual are at stake. You are level 20, point buy 27, average wealth for your level and no 3rd party content. Single d20s always result in 10, multiple d20s (like extra attacks or advantage) go 10-11-9, 10-9-11, and repeat. Monsters are assumed to be fighting as intelligently as possible. Victory results from the death, incapacitation, or removal of the threat (example: plane shifting a creature that can't immediately return on its own). You have 1 round to buff before beginning, and 1 round between encounters to buff/heal before being immediately whisked to the next encounter. Creatures with lair traits/actions are considered to be in their lair. Peaceful negotiation is not an option.

>Balor: 30 feet by 30 feet candlelit room, 100 feet high, 10 feet apart, Balor has foreknowledge of character's abilities and gets surprise round.
>Pit Fiend: 60 feet by 60 feet dark room, 60 feet high, 50 feet apart, Pit Fiend has foreknowledge of character's abilities, no surprise round.
>Solar Angel: Garden, 40 feet apart, Character gets surprise round.
>Lich: Moonlit Graveyard, 50 feet apart, Lich gets surprise round.
>Kraken: Underwater, normal light levels, 90 feet apart, everyone has normal concealment beyond 20 feet, no surprise round.
>Ancient Gold Dragon: Open Plateau on a Mountain, 300 feet apart, Winner of perception check gets surprise round, Dragon starts in the air.
>Tarrasque, Open Plain, Characters choice of distance (maximum 100 feet), Character gets surprise round.

Let the battle begin!

Here have a permanent response to people who want to play/are being incorrigible and can't find a "gish" they want to play.

Do we know anything about the glamour school from Xanthar's? That could be an incredible thing to play, a Bowie bard, if I'm understanding it.

SHOW ME SAMURAI ALREADY.
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

None of the fags with books have said.

>last night
>end of long-running campaign
>party is level 15
>lvl 14 EK 1 Cleric
>fighting ancient green dragon
>Cast darkness next to it's head, blinding it
>action surge to attack 3 times with advantage +1 with warpriest
>wizard hits him with 10 tiny animated rocks, each one's attack has advantage getting 4 crits
felt good mane
>later on in fight
>"hey can I see one of the arrows shot by the ranger sticking out of the dragon's neck?"
>roll perception
>yes
>cast darkness on the arrow so it sticks with the dragon's head
Would you have allowed this?
>next turn
>wizard sends dragon to demiplane with maze
>it has disadvantage on intelligence checks to get out of the maze because it's still blinded
Would you allow this? or does going to another plane break my darkness on the object?
>We kill the dragon when it comes back
>dm tells us later on the dragon had 2 hp left when it got maze'd

>Go to sleep
>Wake up
>STILL no Xanathar leaks

What the limit on a simulacrum? I want to order it to live the life I never had and make the lady I love happy.

What do you mean? Everything is in the spell description

You can't let it nut or it'll create that horrible aberration that comes into being when a simulacrum nuts

You cast darkness on a point in space, not an object. So none of that would have worked RAW
I might have allowed it though in the moment. Seems like it was a pretty cool fight

Whoops. Re-read the spell. You can cast it on object, but not one attached to the dragon. So more or less the same

>be GM
>some players come to me after session
>"we want more worldbuilding and stuff"
>for two sessions try to casually insert worldbuilding and conversations with important NPCs who are helping out the players by giving them resources for expeditionary base
>the two who complained of not enough worldbuilding cut them off about 30 seconds into their description of area
>"okay thanks" and they leave

is there a word for this feel?

It's not good for anyone user. Not for you, not for your lady, not for the simulacra.

It will forever only be half the person you were, but dead behind the eyes. With time, the witticisms it regurgitates will fade and become flat with it's face and fingers, the hair fallen out long ago unless you come back to fix it. Then you come back to gaze at the life you've left behind, to rrepair your replacement in hopes of fulfilling the void in those that you left to your doppel's care, only to see that they've grown less fresh, the rejuvinated clone's form a crisp reminder of nicer days while they have seen the year's brunt. Your love might look to you with a forlorne loss for what could have been, or she might never be seen, having decided a lover who wasn't present except to keep the rooms, is not a house warmed. Your parents might be glad you've rearrived, but might look upon the repair with a polite but disheartened 'ah', clearly frustrated their child might never return for good. Much less, the bankers who have taken that doll that has your name as a ticket to the wallet of a famed adventurer.

There's no good in leaving a simulacra to tend the matters of the heart and mind. Just use teleport to visit now and again

>generally my players are switched on and tactical...
It can sometimes be the DMs' job to tell them if a thing is a good idea or not because its entirely up to your interpretation if a cave-in is dangerous for them. They could have thought "Hey if we're creative instead of auto-attack machines the DM might throw us a bone" and decided to use the environment. Being blunt helps alot too because if you say before they do it "This has a very good chance of catching a few of you in the rubble" then it gives them a perspective through their characters eyes, seeing that the ceiling is pretty close and its not as safe as the battle grid implies.

>30 seconds into their description of area
I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the word worldbuilding is.

I don't know but its better than having a bunch of them try to split apart from the group and fuck each other, literally fuck. I had to reward their bullshit with an encounter though. The rest of the party was alerted to the combat by a naked dragonborn being thrown into the center of the campfire.

I did tell them it was a bad idea when they suggested it, very clearly. After they kept talking about how they wanted to do it I sarcastically said it was a good idea and totally wouldn't cause a cave in. I thought I made it quite clear that it would end badly for them. However, we play over discord, and they said afterwards that they did not think I was being sarcastic and that I really told them it was a good idea.

Just give them half of my hp and all my other stats and worry about the lack of ability to learn. Learning and remember kid name are two different things? Also aging part.
Any lore on this? Could simulacrum make more simulacrum of itself incase of emergency?
I just thought as long as it does not die, no one find outs.

Yes. It's called "you trying being a fucking GM then you entitled cunts and see if you can do any better. Maybe then I can play a game, except I won't want to actually play a game that you run because you'll be shit at it"

What are some low level monster encounters that you would find in a secret temple to Baphomet in the middle of a city.

Bearded devils

They're not more simulacra, they're these shimmering black vapors that look like night and can only be harmed by the last offensive maneuver the creator of the original simulacrum took before their creation.

Fake goth girls that think worshipping a devil makes them interesting and unique.

>Early reports suggest they did not fix hexblade's curse.
How is it broken?

>what did he mean by this

Sheep with horns called Baaaphomets that know a few minor spells

That might make a good story. A lady marry a simulacrum of the man she loved. When she give birth, the child is as cold as snow. everyone except her is a simulacrum

Gentlemen with the Xanathar's leaks and the hullabaloo in the last thread it's evident we have a growing problem in our midst: Magic Users.

So I posit to you, how do you Anti-Mage? For myself I would go Valor Bard, spend my Expertise on Athletics and cast Silence and later Antimagic Field with Magical Secrets to keep the mages from leaving my no-magic-zone.

Paladin oath of silence dedicated to keeping the world of magic hidden. Too bad they are not real.

She thinks the make believe is real

Anti-mage can also be a combo of Arcane Trickster with Arcana Expertise identifying spells and shouting them out to the abjuration wizard who then uses counterspell to shut the mage down. If AT is knocked down then Wiz can cast detect thoughts and identify the spells as the enemy caster thinks about them.

Magic users are more or less the point of D&D. Martials only ever existed to embody the Conan archetype, which hasn't been relevant in decades. You're being phased out. Find a game with a more diverse range of PC options.

>(you)

Here's how I Anti-Mage
> Orc
> Bearbarian
> Mobile
Sprint through their magic attacks and plant an axe in them

*flies*

Monks with Sentinel, Mage Slayer.

Stunning Strike, Perfect Mind, Evasion, are all great.

Way of the Shadow gives some nice stuff like teleport. Kensai can get high damage.

Oh yeah, so Tieflings with wings aren't a bad anti-mage race. Same with the couple bird-person options.

Does anyone have the official grung pdf?
dmsguild.com/product/223738/One-Grung-Above-5e

People are always upset when they fail. They'll get over it.

Eh, depends. I had a DM who thought 'worldbuilding' meant "One NPC is going to talk to you about a list of NPCs you have no reason to care about yet. This will happen for around an hour and a half IRL, then I'll ask you which of over the dozen or so NPCSs that were mentioned you want to talk to, and I expect you to remember every detail of this encounter even though that wouldn't make any more sense in character than it does OOC."

Exposition shouldn't be done by having an NPC describe everything to the players. 'Show, don't tell' applies here.

Silence, Circle of Power, and Counterspell are good additions, as a full caster you have access to the same movement options the wizards do, and when you catch them, they can't get away.

Looks like I'll have to add Mageslayer to the list

>people suggesting magic to fight magic

Great weapon battlemaster with mage slayer. Fell handed and mobile. Tripping attack, disarming attack; anything with a strength save that fucks with a wizard's ability to cast spells (or stay alive) is good.

>Not fighting fire with fire.
My Sorcadin gained such a hateboner for mages that he's taking time away from the party just so he can reswear his oath to OoV. DM is giving him Mage Slayer for free when he eventually returns.
If he could wish for it, he'd get rid of his own magic, but until then he'll give them a taste of their own medicine.

I feel your pain user, I'm the only martial in a party of full casters and I (in-characterly) hate them all.

Are lycanthropes still harmed by magical weapons?

>Being the only tank in a party of 3-4 casters/ranged characters.
OH GEE, LEAVE IT TO THE PALADIN, HE CAN ABSORB LITERALLY EVERYTHING, RIGHT?

MAGIC MUST DEFEAT MAGIC

t. Ars Magica player

I want a Horse Archer subclass for Fighter.

Can druid shape-shift into plant?

What were my chances of my Lvl4 29hp Ranger surviving a Beholder Zombie (I'm wielding a newly acquired Flame Tongue[longsword] with zero str mod)? even with my druid friend, I'm super surprised that I even survived that encounter.

heh just like my party. it's going great, by which I mean at least we're alive

Xanathar's has Cavalier

Why does every rogue/bard try to use acrobatics in place of athletics?

I get it, you minmax'd your broken character to have one god stat and double proficiency in everything dex related but you can't acrobatically climb up this rope cunt.

Wildshape is explicitly beasts only.

its 100% about hitting people from the horseback though, not being a horse archer

I'm trying to figure out how to stat a character concept: I want to be someone who fights at close to mid range and focuses primarily on alteration/transmutation type techniques.
Druid seems like the obvious go-to, but I don't want my main staple to be transforming into beasts for attacks (moon druid), I'd rather be a land druid and use beast shapes for utility.
The problem I'm having is that druid doesn't seem to have access to spells like alter self or enlarge/reduce. Any recommendations on what I should be looking at to fill out this concept? I'm also worried about falling behind in damage potential too much to be useful; I'm not expecting to be martial levels of consistency or damage potential but if my damage can't even scale to match produce flame (1d8 per 1/5/11/17) or at least make up for it with additional effects then what's the point?

>minmax'd your broken character
>He filled in the bubble on his character sheet
I agree with you on the point, but how is that broken?

I just finished watching all the previews for Xanathar's Guide on youtube

They give very little actual information, it's all tied up in fluffy bullshit about how it's "supposed to feel", giving almost nothing away about how it actually works

How does this actually classify as a preview? It's more like those terrible game trailers that are entirely prerendered

Mystic might be up your alley.
Size alteration in both directions as options, as well as being able to alter yourself and form claws/wings/gills and the like.

This is exactly what a Transmuter does. Focus on those spell types and you're set. Plus you get to rip off merchants and such by paying them in forged wooden "silver" coins.

No, the permaneng reaponse to Gishfags is "Kill yourself or go back to 3.5/pf", because they will never be happy unless they are better fighters than fighters, without sacrificing any kind of magical power (IE fullcaster with features that help their spellcasting)

And of course, they also require that they are able to take both a full attack action (with at least two attacks) and cast a spell through ome of those attacks. But not BB/GFB! It should be things like fireball (that only hurts enemies) or disintegrate.

What they wanr would break the game valance completely. You would never have a good reason to play anything other than the Gish class they really want.

Hot take.

All feats should be story roleplay dependent and solely the domain of GM fiat.

No, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the GM giving out feats for certain things, especially if it encourages better roleplaying.

Yes
And non-magical silvered weapons

>but you can't acrobatically climb up this rope cunt.
Acrobat here, yes you fucking can.

I'd prefer to stay away from UA options if possible.
I think I've probably settled on druid as the primary class at the very least, as I'd like to combine beliefs involving cycles, change, and death with the character concept.

I can't figure out how to mechanically fill the offensive part of alteration/transmutation focus. The level 6 investiture spells were the catalyst to me starting the concept, but I can't figure out what I use in place of them before I get them.