Planeshifted

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on planeshifted? More specifically, Plane Shift: Zendikar?
I couldn't care less about the shit tier storyline of the jacetice league and all that, but the world is just interesting. Hell, a short adventure focused on exploration practically writes itself.

On another note, how about Innistrad's Plane Shift? Could it be a good basis for an all human gothic horror campaign? Maybe combining stuff from Curse of Strahd?

tl;dr OP wants to play his dumb card game's dumb setting

Other urls found in this thread:

orcpub.com/dungeons-and-dragons/5th-edition/monsters/zombie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Their vampires are shit, not only mechanically wise, but also lore wise because Zendikar vampires aren't suave smooth talkers as they made them.

Yeah, vampires are really shitty. Their goblins are weird too.
I was thinking about limiting races to humans, kor, merfolk and elves for this

MtG "lore" is pure shit

You are literally a fucking retard, a worthless mental defective, if you spend any time thinking about the lore besides hating it.

It's the most derivative meaningless anti-art garbage. They are expressing nothing. It means NOTHING. It has no connection to the real world and it's made for people who are disconnected from reality in order to keep them that way.

It's entire point is 'OMFG LOOK HOW FUCKIN TOTALLY AWESOME THIS IS OMFG', which only appeals to infantilized retards with serious development issues.

Before (((Hasbro)))'s takeover, they actually made an effort to give the game the tiniest bit of substance in art direction. Since then it's just this acid trip conglomerate of every fantasy trope.

TL;DR
You're all totally fucking retarded. Kill yourselves.

>I couldn't care less about the shit tier storyline of the jacetice league and all that, but the world is just interesting. Hell, a short adventure focused on exploration practically writes itself.

also, as someone who actually went out of his way to buy the novels back in the they, you either haven't read them, or you should get your nostalgia buttplug surgically extracted

Who hurt you user? Was it MaRo?

Seems like it'd be a fun setting, in either the pre-Eldrazi or post-Eldrazi thing.

Exploring jungles, pillaging ruins, fighting elemental forces. All seems kinda nice.

And on the other hand, then having to fight a war of survival against eldritch things that are slowly but surely turning the world to dust... or bismuth.

I was thinking about a campaign that ignored the whole story published by WoTC, where the party explored jugles and climbed floating ruins, throwing themselves inside long forgotten temples and all that. Then, eventually leadin to the party or a villain into releasing the eldrazi would be a possibility. Who knows?

Sounds like the best option. Planeswalkers wouldn't really be as interesting for a campaign.

Also, any disruption to the Hedron network can let loose a swarm of eldrazi spawn of various types, allowing you to use them, even if you don't want to go into the apocalyptic war.

Some Vampire exploring the vampiric curse accidentally freeing an Ulamog-lineage Eldrazi who takes control of him and his followers, for example.

>Some Vampire exploring the vampiric curse accidentally freeing an Ulamog-lineage Eldrazi who takes control of him and his followers, for example.
Hey, that sounds pretty interesting.

I was never a fan of Planeswalkers desu. I understand why they need to be, on a metagame and product selling perspective, but frankly, they're just a bunch of mary sues in any TTRPG setting.
I also like the idea of disruptions on the Network spawning some eldrazi, since the whole "End of The World" thing is also kinda lame. I think I'd have to balance some stuff first, though. The supplement seems kinda off, and the vampires of the setting are more reminiscent of something like classic dnd or Innistrad, so they'd have to go through some changes, too

I've liked all of them. I had a thought about planeswalker characters using gestalt classes to show the power boost of the spark igniting (along with the rules from the amonkhet booklet).

Plane Shift: Ixalan when

No time is too soon.
Zendikar and Ixalan serve a pretty similar purpose, but play and work completely differently

Zendikar vampires are cunning predators, they should have Perception and Stealth proficiency, they should also have either +2 Str +1 Int or +2 Dex +1 Int.

Also the ghoul turning feature is pretty complex for what 5e pretends to be.

I think I'd go with Dex, all things considered. It'd be weird having a barbarian vampire. Granted, they can still do it, but you get what I mean.

Their ghoul turning feature is downright overpowered, I'd change it to giving the player the ability to go without food for extended periods or something like that

You have Berserker, Knight and Warrior vampire cards in Zendikar, user.

I know, but it just feels kinda off (like elven Berserkers, for instance). I know they exist and I'd allow it, and it's probably nitpicking on my end, but it feels so weird

>Their ghoul turning feature is downright overpowered
Is it really?
Lets check out
First, it only works on grappled (your race doesn't have bonus to str so your grappling isn't something to brag about), restrained or incapacited.

Second, you deal 1 piercing + Str (not finessable as far as I know) + 1d6 necrotic

Third, the target's max HPs is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage (1d6).

Fourth, if you manage to reduce his max HPs to 0 in this way, you turn him.

Now, imagine you have 3 Str, so you deal 1+3 piercing (4) and 1d6 necrotic (3.5). You're going to KILL him before you're going to TURN him because you deal more damage than you deal necrotic damage, outpacing the max HP reduction with current HPs being reduced. We tried in our group several times and 99& of the time you can't turn shit unless people is healing your target.

Now, as a slight selfhealing from time to time is ok.

While all of that is true, an incapacitated foe can just be restrained by the rest of the party while the vampire methodically bites the enemy until he dies from the bite. One could theoretically just kill the poor soul before it happens or instill a limit to the bites, but one would be hard to decide on (although the other is a viable alternative)

The fact that the ghoul won't die makes so that the vampire can have a shitload of servants later on, which is ok, but kinda strong when compared to the other races and racial traits

>The fact that the ghoul won't die
They're hardly hard to kill

orcpub.com/dungeons-and-dragons/5th-edition/monsters/zombie

I mean, they say the Null is a buffed up zombie, so I guess it's strong, but maybe I exaggerated how strong they can be. Thanks for making me think about it, user

Phyrexia when WotC?

The Ghet are probably the vampires you'd find as barbarians. With their holdings flooded by the Emervera, they've lost a lot of their aristocratic ways, their shamans' dark rites leading many of their warriors into becoming beasts powered by bloodlust more than strategy.

I'm all for the next set after Dominaria being new Phyrexia

Need some tips
I'm currently GM'ing a campain in Pathfinder, the setting is generic PF, but in some homebrewed countries. The main attraction of the campain is that a flying and uncharted island is soon going to make contact with a mountain, and so both adventurers and monarch want a piece of unknown lands.

Problem is; I haven't decided what to put on the island. It's "protected" by there being drakes and dragons flying around it, so to guarantee noone has been there.

Should I have some sealing hedrons on the island, aka Sealed Eldrazi is the big secret?
I'm fairly certain none of my players has played MTG or know the lore, but I don't know if I should rip an already existing universe for homebrewed campain.

you have no idea how much you rip from several older intelectual proprieties (the hero's journey being the prime example of how most stories "rip" stuff from each other), and how much your favorite authors do so (a lot of times knowingly)

It's not about the thing you're using, it's about how you use it

I'm just worried if it would feel less "special" for my players if the big reveal is just some monsters from MTG. Though, one of my BBEGs themes is corruption for power/healing, so I could tie that in with Eldrazi.

Just give it a twist and go nuts, who cares? All our vampires come from Dracula, our races come from weird mythology created by a linguist in 20th century england. I can keep doing it all day

>It has no connection to the real world and it's made for people who are disconnected from reality in order to keep them that way.

>set based on Egyptian Mythology
>set based on Spanish Conquistadors/Mesoamerica
>set based on horror literature

I mean its cliche, sure, but what the fuck are you even on about? Is this just some copypasta I've never heard of?

Incredibly disapointed because it means that we're never gonna get a proper Magic RPG and we have to deal with a bad reskin of 5e

I don't think it's balanceable if we were planeswalkers, and if we were inhabitants of that realm, it'd just be a reskin of the same system

But not getting to use mana makes me pissed. I hate dnd magic

Yeah. Having everyone be planeswalkers doesn't work because 3+ planeswalkers in any given location cooperating is basically enough to solve any problems forever unless they're all super new or are all the same color and so lack a major function.

If you wanted to translate Mana over though, I think the best option would be to use the spellpoint variant from the DMG, and then assign every spell a color or colors that you need to cast it. So, for example, Burning hands needs red mana, so you need X of your spell points to be red to cast it.

Kinda wonky and still not very suited towards it, but it's hard to really capture the way MTG's mana works in a tabletop game anyway.

Well, there's always 5e's spellpoint optional rule on page 288 of the DMG.

Just call Spellpoints Mana, and assume that when spellcasters use a long rest, they're tapping the land around them for Mana.

Huh, never thought of using the spellpoints. Completely forgot about them desu.

Are they balanced?

They offer a lot more versatility for casters, since it means they can do stuff like dump all of their magic into a half-dozen level 5 spells or load up on basic low-level utility for exploring, but honestly that isn't that big of a deal. If you're worried about non-magical characters, giving them an extra skill and the martial adept feat a few levels in will probably help them keep pace.

Well, I think so. Teeechnically a regular caster will be able to cast more high level spells at level 19 and 20. But really, that's the last place you need to be concerned about with balance.

Also, here's some work I found assigning spells to colours, in case it helps.

Don't call them hedrons, and don't call them eldrazi.

Mix it up and people won't be able to tell.

Remember, good artists copy, great artists steal.

Kudos for actually putting all of the powerful Ice blasting spells under Red rather than shoving them in Blue

Yeah, that's something people fought a bunch over it seems.

Although the white's still got a bunch of spells that don't really fit. Sacred Flame, Flame Strike, & Blade Barrier.