/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Scooter Gang edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

jake.ryft.org/warhammer/manowar/
kickstarter.com/projects/hystericalgames/spitfyre-aerial-combat-in-the-skies-of-panzerfaust
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just saw that Foundry is doing a clearance sale on their 2000AD range.

Everything is 25% off.

Anyone know which Magic thread is the main one?

I have some MTG boardgame figures I'd like to ID before I start hacking at them.

I don't think they have a main one.
What do you need exactly?

if they're from the recent boardgames then they're worthless, hack away.

If they're the old pewter miniatures from a few years ago then they're worth keeping/selling, unless you really want to hack at them.

Hey how's jovian wars. In looking into getting into it and wanna hear some thoughts on it.

reminder to say something nice about Goblin Captain

I'm kind of thinking about maybe joining the next Nickstarter.
Those Gobbos look dope.

>tfw the dwarves come with 30 minis per box
>tfw I saw someone on facebook unpack 5 boxes
Kind of makes me wonder. Maybe it's not Mantic's KoW that is gonna be the spiritual successor to WHFB.
We live in interesting times in any case.

I haven't tried searching very hard, but I was wondering if anyone has pictures of Rohirrim models that aren't dark green and red?
I've got some to paint, but most of my other armies use a colour scheme like that, so I want to try something different.

the goblins are going on pre-order this month, they said on their facebook that they hope to ship them before the end of november. honestly i'm just hyped that i can have dedicated tolkien-orcs for my mordor army and not mass kit bashing

From the last thread, this is the system I have been working on, an alternating activation system that uses resources and an interrupt stack instead of a die-bag ala Bolt Action. Looking for C&C. My main dilemma now is:
-If a unit's attacks end up hitting multiple enemy units, should all or only one get the chance to Interrupt?

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. I really like the GW models, but they are a bit pricey.

I'm just wondering what the other races for Oathmark are gonna be.
I'd be pretty hype if the Gnolls become an army too. I've just been waiting for an excuse to get the models, cause I have really no other use for them aside from the urge to build and paint them. Which should be enough, but I have to weight that against my backlog...
Northstar is on fire.

From what northstar have said there'll be no reason you can't run the gnolls as an army.
Even if you just run them as orcs.

elves and humans are on the list, they said that they are the initial four armies, i'm guessing that they will have orcs and evil humans. i've already drawn up everything for my mordor army, now i have the goblins for Snaga

I've been making paper figures for a homebrew fantasy game. Something simple I can keep folded up in an altoids tin.

PDF of the soldiers if anyone wants them.

Print off on standard A4 paper .

Cheers!

Has anyone here got any experience with imperial skies?
It looks like the ideas ruleset for some airships I've been scratchbuilding but I wants to know if it's really as smooth as it seems?

Haven't gotten a chance to look at the full rules, but I did check out the alpha sometime ago. Fairly solid, but I remember the dice mechanic being a little weird.

Considering how many people are buying the Dwarfs to use in KoW? I know the moment they announced individual casualty removal for Oathmark my interest declined greatly. I'm loving the models so far, but I'm still gonna use the Dwarfs for KoW myself. I just hope they release more boxes for each race soon.

Dad, we've been over this. If a joke is worn out on the third telling, it's not going to magically become funny again the 4th or 5th time around.

>should all or only one get the chance to Interrupt?
I'd say one, but make it the defender's choice. Keeps the 1:1 action ratio, but provides a little balance.

>From what northstar have said there'll be no reason you can't run the gnolls as an army.
Oh, you're giving me ideas.

I'm also curious about the humans, since they are gonna go for something more dark ages rather than medieval.

not if you think everything is cyclical B)

* does seductive dance *
come to the dark side, play LotR at 10mm!

Nice, thanks for sharing!

I swear to god, Dad, if you're about to lead in to your "viscous circle" joke...

Don't tempt me, I've been holding back on buying the whole copplestone 10mm range for a while now....

Really wanna play through some battle of the silmarillion using one hour wargames.

i'm betting some rohan types, definitely dark age inspired

those are the copplestone casting guys right?

nah i think i'll go round it this time

God if they make Rogan styled humans they can just have all my fucking money.

>clicks image
Holy fuck that's big.

Thanks for the feedback. The intial compromise I was going for was "multiple interrupts, but only one activate can be for a non-move" action. Agreed that the 1:1 is important, but at the same time I don't want AOEs to be too exploitable. Then again, the interrupts could make sense due to the disruptive value of said weapons.

I mean the SAGA plastics kind of already fill that niche.

>Don't tempt me, I've been holding back on buying the whole copplestone 10mm range for a while now
Highly recommended. The quality of his stuff is really high, on par with classic warmaster stuff (on their better days). We can never really settle on a ruleset - we've done LotR battles here with everything from the old WM/BoFA lists, to using KoW or the 28mm LotR rules (a block of troops is a block of troops), to one-hour, to somewhat-modified HotT and DBA, etc etc

Do be aware if you have the old plastic BoFA game box, while the style is very similar, copplestone's are a bit larger (the plastics were 10mm to top of head), but they fit quite well with other ranges. They can blend in the same army, but not in the same unit IMO.

>those are the copplestone casting guys right?
yep

Does anyone know where I can get printable Magic and Man O'War cards for the old gw game Man O'War? I've got the rules, ship cards, counters, etc. but none of the pdfs I've found have the spells or ship upgrades.

>Thanks for the feedback. The intial compromise I was going for was "multiple interrupts, but only one activate can be for a non-move" action. Agreed that the 1:1 is important, but at the same time I don't want AOEs to be too exploitable. Then again, the interrupts could make sense due to the disruptive value of said weapons.
Well, for AOE's, where there's one "main" target and multiple possible "secondary" targets, you could just have it be only the original target gets to respond. I was thinking more for cases where it's equal opportunity, I guess? You could do either-or, I guess... give the defender the option to do a single real counterattack, or multiple little moves.

I don't have BoFA ,every time I try to track down a box it goes for insane amounts of money. I really hope GW reprint it one day.

>nah i think i'll go round it this time
AaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaauughhh

i'm thinking of using footsore saxons for them, i mean that's what tolkien had in mind

for you

Does anyone have the LotR Battle Companies stuff from White Dwarf, starting to cobble my old arnor ranger army back together and wanted an idea of army comps/size.

copplestone is actually making the metals for oathmark

>laughs in mordor

Yeah, it can be really tough to find now, but honestly unless you get super lucky with a garage sale or something, I think the ship has sailed. I got two of them on clearance way back when the game first got canned (enough to make a couple nice-sized armies), and that was great. But at this point there are so many good 10mm manufacturers out there, you're probably better off just spending your money with them.

>Rogan styled humans
oh no...

I think "either or" may be better in the long run. The only case where an attacker may get be targeted by two separate interrupts would be if an attack (either an AOE or a melee clipping multiple units) would impact units from two or more players (3-way battles, etc).

Most my testing has been very simple: 5-man rifle sections, each rolls 1 die per shot, kills an enemy on a 5+, or a 6 in cover. The use of the CP interrupt shuffle has made it easy to get away with shooting being so comparably lethal.

yeah that's my plan, Drop good £50 on copplestone one day and sculpt anything else i want afterwards.

Who knows, We may get warmaster back one day.

If not, I'll jst be very happy if we get Man o War because there is a serious lack of good fantasy ship games lately.

>tfw the green rohan colour was for weed

>copplestone is actually making the metals for oathmark
Not surprised to hear that. Mark has a standing association with NS.

Pipeweed lmao

I'd probably stick with one reaction for now, either the "main" target, or defender's choice. Simplicity is a virtue.

Honestly, the thing I like most about the multiple moves is the image of somebody tossing a grenade, and a whole bunch of dudes running / diving for cover.

they use copplestone metals for a lot of their games, i'm not sure if they are used for those metal forstgrave soldiers though

that's why my nigga Theoden was tryna get into Isengard

I wouldn't be surprised if they put oathmark sculpts into the agreement hey made when they took over disribution of his stuff.

"we'll handle all the buisnessy hassle, you can carry on sculpting, but in return can you do x number of sculpts for our soon to be released game"

>Who knows, We may get warmaster back one day.
As far as I'm concerned, that one never left. The rules really didn't need any more iterations, they are pretty well tuned. And there are so many people making minis for it at this point, I don't even feel like it's that much bother to start new armies.

>If not, I'll jst be very happy if we get Man o War because there is a serious lack of good fantasy ship games lately.
I think that's a tough niche to survive in. We still occasionally play Uncharted Seas here, but for such a decent game (and easily some of the nicest looking minis that ever came out of Spartan), it didn't last long. IIRC Dreadfleet never gained any kind of foothold either, although in that case it probably had something to do with the We Didn't Playtest This At All grade rules.

jake.ryft.org/warhammer/manowar/

Guys, please keep me from adding yet another project into my backlog. I already considered this like a year ago. But now that Manticis updating their men at arms, I don't even need to do headswaps anymore. There is literally no excuse not to do this excep for all the untouched plasitc,resin and metal in my basement. But then 24 points for DR is just a few models. I think I need help with my plastic crack addiction...

Yup, I do like the idea of certain weapons promoting a "scramble" or chaos effect. I'm trying not to go too overboard with that sort of thing (too many "maintenance effects" slow things down).

One thing that has been awesome about this system for historical/fantasy is the relatibe ease of double-melee bruteforcing through chaff units, or stuff like a hero dismounting a chariot to melee, before hopping back on.

True. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.

God damn phone...

you might be waiting a while, after the goblin main release i think they are going into the elves then humans

I don't know what you are doing, but I'll probably swap those shields and spears and have osme great generic Fantasy soldiers

Well I guess it's a good thing I wanna grab their Dwarfs in the meantime.

i might get the dwarves, but honestly i'm only interested in getting the bearings of my mordor army underway, i might get some of the elves though depending on the final sculpt

Well I figure a couple of boxes of the Dwarfs, a box of Frostgrave soldiers and a box of Frostgrave barbarians and I'll have the beginnings of a little KoW Dwarf army.

my goal is couple boxes of goblins, metal seljuks for easterlings, arabs for haradrim and huns for variags

i forgot to say andalusians for umbar

>jake.ryft.org/warhammer/manowar/

Already found that, its the terrain, counters, ruler, ship cards, etc. but not the Magic and upgrade cards. Thanks though.

I managed to find images of the Magic deck on boardgame geek so I can sort that out, but the upgrades elude me. Might have to bite the bullet and ebay them.

Try looking on ebay for people who have photographed the components you want and then screencapping them.

>those horrible shields

It makes me irrationably upset that mantic sculpts are so close to being great if they would just tone down the over the top hyper fantasy bits ffs

Good call.

Yeah, the giant shield wings are a bit goofy. They should be easy to remove for what it's worth.

I totally get the style on like the heroes and more elite units, but I would prefer the grunts to not look quite so over the top.

I think they are trying to go for a HoMM look with their fantasy humans, which, surprisingly enough, isn't really a thing in wargaming right now.
I don't like the shields either and I'm going to replace them for sure, but they are slowly getting there. The dudes themselves look really solid.
It really seems like they need someone to run most of their designs by, though. Somebody external to give feedback early enough to still change production. Those guys would look so much better with, say, some nice round shields like these. Or just plain less thick and toy-looking kite shields or something.

How do you guys decide, if you are gonna buy into a new game?
Lately there have been a lot of sales going on, new games coming out that I've been interested in, but I've been struggling with deciding if any of it is really worth committing to.

I'm an exceedingly slow painter. Or rather, I have problems finding the motivation to sit down and finish my stuff.
So I already have a lot of starter sets from various games that I never touched lying around.

Basically I'm wondering when you guys feel you can in good conscience buy into a game, or when you should stay away/move on.

>pic related
It's how fast I paint

Anyone have experience with the new resin casts?
Got turned off Knight Model but Constantine, Zantanna and Etrigan are pulling me back.
Are the new resin models still good?

goblin sprue on oathmark facebook, pre orders soon

Oh, nice. I'd love to see some painted plastics too.

i'm waiting for the metals, calling a fat goblin king

That'd be awesome.

If they don't make them I'm gonna use some old plastic GorkaMorka orcs to convert one.

that'd be cool, i'm also calling s goblin slaver and a drummer for the other metals, including a shaman and some champions

>How do you guys decide, if you are gonna buy into a new game?
Well, I see a new game... and then I'm like, "yeah, I probably need that". And then I play that game, and then I see a new faction, and I'm like, "oh but hey this one unit for that faction that nobody uses is on sale so I should probably get in to that too". Repeat indefinitely.

Pretty good mix of weapons there, at least for something that is supposed to be formations rather than small parties.

Yeah, I'm trying not to do that anymore.
I'm trying to find something that I can stick with.
Trying to work through my commitment issues with plastic figures.

But maybe I'm just cursed with hobby ADHD.

Details are good. Mold lines are pretty easy to clean compaired to some other resins I've dealt with. They are a little brittle from what I've heard. Some Nightwings arrived with broken sticks and some batmans (batmen?) with broken ears. Everything I've gotten has been good though (batman and bane crews)

How does Knightfall Batman look gameplay wise? He seems kinda shitty compared to regular bats or even catman, lacking 5 attack or combo but being a melee combat focused character. Do Brutal, 2+ and OCD really matter that much?

Actually, this is something I am curious about: How would folks ideally see grenades used in a game?

2nd ed 40k or Warmachine have "every model with a grenade can throw one." Which could easily bog a game down in hit rolls, scatter rolls, etc. Minutiae.

On the other hand, 40k from 3rd-5th "abstracted" grenades as melee tools. 6th onwards kept this, with "one model per unit may throw a grenade" which was just eh.

Personally, I have a soft spot for the Brikwars 2001 implementation, where you bought a particular combination of explosive and delivery vector. DIY-ish but this meant a Mk1 explosive could be a grenade, landmine, or a warhead. A question becomes, would being allowed to "boobytrap" areas in-game slow things down unnecessarily, or allow for more varied gameplay?

you can equip them all hand weapon, all spears or all bows, so it's pretty decent

Depends heavily on scope and scale of the game. Squad Based could easily go with something like 1d3 Hits per thrown grenade, for example, while large battles should just ignore them and figure them into the damage output of the unit

Unstoppable (2 defense rolls needed to block a hit) also comes into play making attack 4 less of a liability. Plus medium armor is better than batarmor in almost all situations.

Defense 5 +bat armor seems better than medium armor to me.

His shines against Henchman it seems.
OCD will help him greatly, (hitting most on 2 or 3's), unstoppable makes even defensive 4 henchman unlikely to block more then 1, while lastly 2+ a big difference is to +3.
Furthermore he is tough as nails, the Luther cyborgs were offset by having rather low endurance and defense 3, he both has 7 (8 with equipt) and a average defense of 4.

Honestly he is really good at what he does (but he won't take down a the big guy by himself) send him to hunt midrange henchman.
While Batfleck is more reliable against high def models, Az-Bat shines, when the reliability would be wasted

No doubt, but hes also at least 10 points less than any def 5 batman with batarmor.

So far a Knightfall Batman led crew or Gotham City Sirens seems like the best starters for me. I guess gotham city sirens would be easy 350 if i grabbed the new blackgate prisoners, which seem pretty useful. Any reccomendations for sirens or an azbat crew?
Seems to me thanks to the flamethrower az-bat would want models that can use "grab" really easily to grab the people that are on fire so they cant put it out.

Oooh, i just realized paralyze, Stop!, blind, stunned and cooled would prevent putting the fire out too. So black canary and batwoman would be sound choices there, plus the free agent Mr Freeze. A very stupid 349 point crew im guessing since its only 4 models.

First crew?
Don't start with 4 models crews.
Best recommendation is to either go for a

Painted 3up

Unless Gordon is the leader cant i only take one of his "swat" henchmen? Gordon's box doesn't seem super useful.
Maybe i should just get gotham city sirens, that box comes with 5 models and looks like it covers all roles pretty well.

i'll prob be painting them a sallow colour, what gw paints would do for that?

Gordon doesn't have to be the boss, just be in the crew as a sidekick, and delta is one of the best henchmen in the game.

That said, cash and QRT is the first box I'd suggest if you were wanting to run BnB without batman. Everything in that box is great.

Go for it.
Ivy can play all henchman (up to two) btw so if you want you can still get the rapid response team and field them together if you want Az-Bat.
Or judt get some games in, trust me it id quite refreshing.

Yeah google has had lots of people say quick response team is really good. They look kinda cool in that they sort of resemble metal gear style soldiers too.
If Elite Boss allows you to hire things without needing a leader thats really cool, it especially opens up options for organized crime.
Azbat, Gordon and Batgirl would get me a 348 point $1400 list that seems pretty decent. Alternatively i could grab the Gotham City Sirens instead of Batgirl to take Catwoman instead of Batgirl and have a 350 point list for Sirens by taking the starter box + Alpha, put one of the plants on large base for "ancient plants" equipment and still have points left over to give plants and alpha some mutations.

Thanks for the help man, its been really hard to try and analyze models without direct experience. My friends mostly just have one favorite character so were gonna get that starter no matter what, im trying to prevent myself buying 5 starters. Im really hoping the one ill be playing against most gets the new JLD models, the new Bane starter looks super scary to deal with and thats his other consideration.

Hysterical games, the people behind Panzerfauste have a kickstarter up for an Aerial Wargame set in their universe, called Spitfyre. Might be worth checking out.

kickstarter.com/projects/hystericalgames/spitfyre-aerial-combat-in-the-skies-of-panzerfaust

Hype