/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Prior thread: Pastebin: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

New archive (can also be found in the pastebin): mega.nz/#F!rZImQQbI!q0_MBu6MEWP8Hn3jd4Nvag

Some questions: how do you like your balance in a cyoa? By that I mean, do you like your powers to come with a drawback or limitation? Do you like for there to be the opportunity to take drawbacks to receive more boons? Do you like when powers and abilities are tiered to the point of one great ability equating to 2 good abilities? Do you like when risks increase with rewards?

I'm just curious. I like to take down notes every now and again.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/nsfwcyoa/comments/7avv6w/actual_cyoa_contest_discussion_3_prizes_of_50_cnd/
strawpoll.me/14329822
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's page 2.

There will be a NSFW CYOA contest on reddit with a 3 prizes of of $50 CND. Since I am not an author anymore I won't compete in it, so I just wanted to give people a heads up since I need more lewd CYOAs to fap to.

Link
reddit.com/r/nsfwcyoa/comments/7avv6w/actual_cyoa_contest_discussion_3_prizes_of_50_cnd/

I like to to take drawbacks for more boons but i only take the drawbacks that i think i could take on or are not permanent

I'm probably the only one posting these and such, but maybe somebody's interested, while I'm making the dlc page. Don't expect it to be image heavy though

>Reddit

Does Veeky Forums even have any lewd authors outside of OnionBreadstick and yourself?

>Do you like for there to be the opportunity to take drawbacks to receive more boons?
yes

Fresh waifu OC from the previous throg. Tell me what you think about, I'll try to listen as well as Maya would :^)

1.1 because I wanted to clarify you can keep some of the languages you can learn with Chloe's boon

>Pick your waifu strawpoll
strawpoll.me/14329822

I could use 50 bucks.
God, I'm feeling like a whore.

>4 (Pleasure Magic) and 69 (Healing: Life conduit)
I'll take Tilt and two Magic Tomes for Train Familiar and Familiar's Shield.

Charge up enough with Tilt to meet a cutie that loves me. Marry her, use her to regain charges and make her a familiar to share the burden of saving lives.

A way to help others while being able to live a good life on the side without being a hedonistic deviant.

EDG, but we haven't heard much from him for a while. MaidAnon as well. We had more, but lost many when /d/ banished us.

Just because people don't adopt names doesn't mean they don't make content.

>By that I mean, do you like your powers to come with a drawback or limitation?
Depends on the power.
>Do you like for there to be the opportunity to take drawbacks to receive more boons?
More options is usually better than fewer options
>Do you like when powers and abilities are tiered to the point of one great ability equating to 2 good abilities?
Indifferent but it's a default model for some lazy authors. Don't use it when it's not necessary.

>EDG probably made Gilded cage wearing a different name so he could write non-lewd stuff at peace
>Because everyone sperged at him chances are that we lost him forever

>Does Veeky Forums even have any lewd authors outside of OnionBreadstick and yourself?
SDA competed in the last NSFW reddit CYOA, he claims it was doing it just to cuck me, but I suspect he's a greedy jew and wanted the cash. There are plenty of lewd authors and I suspect alot of authors would be willing to try making a lewd CYOA just to get the cash. Also I'm not an author anymore, I was purposely excluded from 2 whole author CYOAs and the only way to stop being excluded from future author CYOAs is to not be an author, its a strategic master move, check mate autists.

I like powers coming with drawbacks if it's something thematically fitting. The trade off definitely has to favor the boon though.
Drawbacks alone are often abused I feel, because people simply chose the ones they don't feel impacted by.

Tiered abilities have the tendency to become pretty boring, but there is nothing inherently wrong with them. I'm not a hard core crunch guy though, so I know that some people like that stuff more.

Risks are something I'm pretty meh on. I think it's pretty hard to incorporate that stuff into a build, because it either feels like you're plot armoring or you have to 'intentionally' fuck yourself over. I'm more keen on 'fixed', guaranteed challenges that you have to overcome.

Don't trust them, last time the rigged it so their own local CYOA would win at the last minute. It's a waste of time.

Isn't it kind of stupid that only some of the girls let you keep anything after the year?

>steal our content
>steal our memes
>now they outright steal our money

And reddit wonders why we hate them.

Not meant to attack you but doesn't matter whether you or anyone are an author. Don't torture yourself with your own expectation and vow, in the end life will goes on with or without you so make it worths.

I wouldn't care if they made decent cyoas, but as it stand I've seen maybe two or three from there that are of any quality. Cross posters like Maid and Acheld nonwithstanding

you need to be more creative senpai

Just ignore the intro and ending.

Claudia. Specific time limit on all magic applications.

At least it's not this

Last I heard of him, he was still working on this.

Should waifus exist in grindark universes?

Can love bloom on a battlefield?

That depends on if you like used goods or not, because in a grimdark world probably 90% of all waifus are going to have already been raped a thousand times before you meet them, possibly by giant insects or other disgusting beasts.

Should waifus be available at a pawn shop?

Is this supposed to be some kind of revenge towards the people who sperged off about your last cyoa?

Making waifus suffer is best way to hurt readers/players.

It's also the assured way to make sure they won't play your CYOA, or at least won't take the waifus.

No, grimdark is about misery. Any girls present exist just to suffer, and nobody wants to pick some fantasy girlfriend who will suffer and die because of grimdark.

I don't know about that. Suffering leads to sympathy.

Sympathy doesn't mean you want to fuck someone, you can have all the sympathy in the world for broken, pathetic wretches, but you're not going to want to try and start a relationship.

That's the vibe I get from him.

Okay, but consider this. What if the suffering waifu has big anime tits?

Not worth it.

>Should waifus exist in....
YES!

Not revenge, just thought it would be interesting to invert the premise and see how people react. It's a "standalone" CYOA you can play without even knowing A Strange Dream exists.

This is not anything like "The End" of the one who shall not be named.

Perhaps they should be enemies that you may obtain as trophies for completing a difficult task like taking over a nation.

And what did you learn?

Is it really inverted when in ASD nobody is damning souls, revoking powers, and the girls don't really free you?

>grindark
So the universe is dark, and everyone tries to cope by keeping a grin on their face 24/7?

No, everyone is a smiling black person.

did you confuse "grimdark" and "the rape tag on E-Hentai"?

Dunno about him, but most grimdark settings do have a shit ton of rape everywhere.

>Do you like when powers and abilities are tiered to the point of one great ability equating to 2 good abilities?
I like this two.

The symbol of peace in dark times must always smile, as if say It's ok now, for I am here.

warhammer is possibly the most widely known grimdark setting, and while rape is certaily a thing that exists (slaneesh/dark elves and dark eldar) its mostly just murder and the inevitability of getting destroyed by the forces of hell

dark souls is also a fairly grimdark setting, but once again isnt very big on rape

admittedly there are settings with rape, (berzerk) but even then you are overselling it

What irks me is that all the CYOA authors add the 'Drawbacks for more points/options/faps/whatever' section at the fucking END. That shit should be up front so you can stock up your points first, then spend them without having to flip back and forth between positive and negative sections a dozen times.

Think the term for that is "Nobledark."

Yeah, that's really annoying.
What's even worse is if there mandatory drawbacks though. That always feels like some kind of trap

I think it makes sense, especially when several of the drawbacks rely on options or information presented before that section. However, when I do builds, I usually put them first.

I always scroll to the end and grab those first and then come back and do the cyoa.

People are immune to grimdark until they get attached characters and start believing in their future. You should give them false hope and fool then with things like bright colors and goofy looking enemies.

When will this be rename CYWAG and moved to ?

>That always feels like some kind of trap
like what?

I mean, functionally, yeah, but within the 'narrative' of the CYOA, the way it's usually done means it makes more sense to put them at the end.

I mean, if you make a CYOA where you IC pick drawbacks first before your perks, it makes it seem like what you're getting is supposed to be a surprise and you gotta be sure the drawbacks you're picking are worth it.

That's actually kind of what did with the cuteposting marketing. I wonder if there would be a way to take it a step beyond: start bittersweet, imply hope, then take it all away near the end.

About ten minutes after the last spark of life is fired by your neurons after you hang yourself.

Yeah, that's why I generally put the drawbacks at or near the end: You know the context you'll be in at that point, so you can make an informed choice about how much you're willing to mess yourself up. It might be unpleasant from a gameplay perspective, but I think having people choose their drawbacks before they know what tools they have available to resolve them is worse.

Reminder that rebelling against the entity and freeing all 6 souls through sheer insanity is still the best choice.

When /d/ mods stop being retarded.

And the fresh one

Damn, who is this author? He's great at visual design.

Wait, so would picking Eternal Beat of Flight just give you 12 hours (or six doubled hours) of flight ever? Or is it just until rewound?

deck of shuffled time
can destroy no man
limiting bliss

Until rewind

Why on earth there is a tape that makes everything stop INCLUDING YOU with endless playtime?

Almost used this pic for Claudia. Would have to write her less little-girly

Few things, but I think that first I need to explain that I enjoyed making the cyoa. It was worth it just for the fun I had from doing that, the following observations are just the icing on the cake.

Don't know if I wanted to "learn" anything. Learning implies gaining useful knowledge, I just wanted to see how will people react when I swap the positions and the player will be the one in power while. Guess I should be glad there are so many anons here who care about the well-being of others even when they could benefit from enslaving them.

Used anime art, made most of the waifus submissive, much cuter and "unrealistic" (by /cyoag/'s definition of the word) to check the size difference of target audiences.

Noticed a lot of people get butthurt when you ask them if they're capable of acting like any decent person would.

Limited the amount of text dedicated to background info and motivations of the waifu. Used the gained space to give free shit to the player. Shocking news, anons like free shit and don't care that much about what the waifu did before meeting them. Not that there is anything wrong with getting free shit, though it was interesting to see some screech purely because they were told they get that free shit for a limited period of time.

Noticed some overdosed on Beri cyoas and think my stuff falls into the grimdark category.

Learned it's better to list examples of what the player can do with the gained powers even when it's obvious.

Obviously had to make some changes to keep it fresh. I repeat, it's a standalone project only inspired by the aftermath of ASD.

some men just want to watch the world burn

>and the player will be the one in power while.

while the waifu has no choice but to obey him

Endless Possibilities is for putting on other people, or using as a budget cryostasis.
Admittedly, it'd probably be more balanced with a long-but-finite playtime, but that's the way it goes.

>all the effects are temporary
Triple Jelly Layer Slice. Go far enough into the future that all sorts of fun stuff have been developed, and do one of the following:
>get yourself fitted with nanites that keep you clean, healthy, etc.
>arrange for a time-travel-taxi or something so you can be brought back for a longer stay and more fun stuff, or for someone to bring the fun stuff back to your time
>both of the above

>Life's True Companion
>You see a spiritual animal companion that shows you most optimal path to take or the most.
Or the most what?

How are you going to use it without accidentally end up listening to it and end up frozen too?

Headphones, earplugs, being deaf...

you have the power, its up to you not to abuse it, simple

Yeah, but is magic just a crutch to easily get what they want? Chloe can still have a life of adventure, the world is filled with crazy shit. Yeah you may have to rough it out and it'll be hard, but most things in life worth doing are.

All the more power to you, user.

Yes, that falls under what power is user.

Honestly giving them their freedom is kind of an obvious choice if you aren't a complete sociopath. The loss of their magic only really hurts you. Claudia and Ariela could adapt reasonably well, Tekla views her magical talent as a crutch, and Chloe's can be replicated without magic.

The only ones who would have a problem is possible Velma (I dunno what her deal is) and Maya, who uses her illusions as a coping mechanism.

I don't like min/maxing or pretending the drawbacks are free points, no.

forgot to fix it

>Not wondering what the drawback would be like to realistically take and not ignoring the negatives in your calculations

look at this pleb-tier cyoa player

I haven't seen the Raven of Happiness in a while. I liked those CYOAs, they were real cute.

>Yeah, but is magic just a crutch to easily get what they want? Chloe can still have a life of adventure, the world is filled with crazy shit. Yeah you may have to rough it out and it'll be hard, but most things in life worth doing are.
Dude, are you living in some different world than I am? You're not trying to compare actual adventures in a fantasy world with like fucking backpacking, right?

Does anyone have that monstergirl waifu one where you had to get a partner because your pheremones attracted other monstergirls or something like that?

Do you not know how to write? Are you retarded?
Where the fuck is the line space, why is the text not split into neat paragraphs? I can't read this shit at all.

Sleepy wonder

>why is the text not split into neat paragraphs?
because indentations exist