Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How much do you really care about the "wilderness" part of Ultimate Wilderness? Do you like innawoods adventures, or do you like sticking to cities and dungeons?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/shielded-fighter
paizo.com/products/btpy9ujo/discuss?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Ultimate-Wilderness
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've had to do so many innawoods adventures that I'd kill for something to happen in a city at this point.

Cities and dungeons.

Which class makes the best golemancers?

Can I pick a dragon as my deity?

Wizard VMC Sorcerer (Impossible Bloodline) into the Arclord of Nex PrC.

Are you planning to be a class that gets its powers from a divine source?

There's technically nothing stopping you, they just don't grant domains or divine spellcasting.

No.

Then yes you can totally do that. It's even apropiate if you are a kobold

How pissed do the gods get when they begin to be worshiped by people with opposite alignment?

Mild annoyance. Apparently they start fucking with them in minor ways but this directly contradicts the whole "can not directly fuck with mortals" thing.

There used to be a large LE following of Iomedae called the Burners.
They just burned everyone they thought was evil at a stake. Problem was that Iomedae took away their divine powers so they can't actually detect evil.

Then you can worship whatever you want.

Aren't Tiamat and Bahamuth dragon deities?

Wouldn't taking away the capacity to detect evil just lead to MORE unjust witchhunts, condemning the innocent to death by fire? How the fuck is this God Good?

In PF its Dahak and Apsu.

>bahamut
>pathfinder

don't you mean apsu :^)

Well I think Iomedae thought that by taking their divine powers away they'd realize she's displeased. But the Burners were so fanatic they thought it a blessing, Iomedae basically saying "I trust your judgement".

I mean if he let them keep Detect Evil, at least they'd be constrained to genociding... y'know, actual Evil.

I dig innawoods. I think more stuff for innawoods would be cool. Except John Q. Paizo is guaranteed to fuck it all up.

What god or gods are likely to be worshipped by someone from the Steppe?

Except even with detect evil, they stilled killed innocents because Detect Evil is a shitty ability and is only really relevant for demons/undead and the like.

It doesn't tell you jack shit about the average person's alignment.

I'd wager deities of travel like desna. Though Erastil might also be a good option.

I saw someone of the Paizo Messageboards make this comment, but I think it's an apt remark. Wild Shape is basically just 1/3 of the Druid's shtick, but it's almost all of the Shifter's shtick (or at least it was suppose to be). So the Shifter oughta be better at Wild Shaping than the Druid, including access from level 1 in my opinion. Instead it's actually worse, despite the major aspects, because it's limited to at most, AT MOST AT LEVEL 20, five different animals (selected from a list of only 15 options).

Second of all, why does this class have so many dead levels? There are points where it levels up and ALL IT GAINS is a minor advancement of its claws.

Oh, and the claws. Let me tell you about my issue with the claws. The shifter gets two of them, and they're obviously meant to be your weapon of choice by the devs. You can wield a weapon (scimitars are your only decent option IIRC) but then you lose one claw and make the other secondary. But if you just fight using your claws, you're stuck with JUST two attacks. Why make a class full BAB if they can't make use of their iterative? Being limited to only two or three (if Wild Shaped into something with three attacks) attacks is going to make you feel really silly when other full BAB classes are throwing out more attacks, even if you make them all at full BAB. But this is a more minor complaint, I suppose, since I haven't yet run any DPR calculation to see how they actually hold up against someone taking full iteratives.

I have a reason to suspect it won't favor them much compared to full BAB classes, because another thing the Shifter lacks is a way to buff its hit and damage as a class feature. Almost all full BAB classes get something to this effect, and some 3/4s BAB classes like Magus too. Weapon Training, Rage, Smite Evil, Favored Enemy, etc. These abilities are what full BAB classes use to either buff their attack/damage for a duration (Rage) or based on the situation (Favored Enemy). The shifter has nothing.

Do you mean Sarkorian Steppe? If so the most commonly worshipped deities are Deskari, Flauros, and Jezelda.

What book is this lore from? Inner Sea Gods?

>some 3/4s BAB classes like Magus too
"I can add +1's" is as much an accuracy booster as the shifter's enhancement bonus aspect features. Like, if the arcane accuracy arcana was default I could give the benefit of the doubt, but that one is also 1 round per pool point and Swift action.

Use the alpha archetype of this.

That's a fair point, and my bias towards the magus might be showing through in that a bit since ultimately a Magus' ability to temporarily enhance their weapon is just as much of a "at least I don't have to spend the cash on an item" feature as the enhancement bonus from certain minor aspects the shifter can get.

But I don't think that really changes my point at all, because the observation about full BAB classes is still correct as far as I know. Unlike the magus, the shifter is a full BAB class, but it doesn't have a feature like Rage or Weapon Training like other full BAB classes do. Maybe the claws were meant to fill that roll, but they fail pretty horribly at it. I'm not sure someone could even say Paizo made the shifter's claws scale as poorly as they do because they can be used all day, because the fighter's Weapon Training is all day too.

Might snag the various plants and let the party grow some in a garden on their skyship fortress. Might use some innawoods stuff when they leave the desert regions and try to retake one PCs rightful throne in a Stand Still, Stay Silent inspired northlands area.

Are we ever going to see Blingmaker greentexts again? They seem relatively inoffensive.

Hi pfg, 5eg told me you guys may be knowledgeable in dnd 3.5 stuff

My question is, is there any feat in 3.5 that makes you stronger the lower you are on health?Bonus - something in 5e

So far I only know of the Crusader class and the Berserker Strength barbarian rage variant, but these aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

Pool Enhancements would be less of a nothing feature of they let you expand and upgrade it without charging you through the fucking nose to do so on all fronts and then still gating shit behind a racial FCB to fuck with you, and if Arcane Accuracy could be upgraded to last more than a single fucking turn.

What?

Doesn't Berserk Strength to exactly that? What are you looking for then?

We recently finished book 1 and will be starting book 2 after we finish a brief interlude period. In probably just a session or two, the PCs will finally have a kingdom. They defeated the Swaglord, who died like a bitch because of really, really awful rolls. At this point, the entire party is Gilded and almost all of them have reached Gilded Rank 2 (getting their first custom powers).

I'll try to make a greentext at some point in the next couple days to summarize the events since the last one, or maybe even all the event of book 1, but I'm going to shove it in a PasteBin since it'd be too obnoxiously large to text dump in a thread. I've been meaning to do it anyway, just haven't gotten around to it.

To be honest, during the entirety of an AP I spent playing as a Magus, I almost always went for pure enhancement bonus or enhancement bonus and Keen when using my arcane pool to power up my weapon. There are few special weapon properties that are worth more than the enhancement bonus you give up as an opportunity cost when you get them. That said, you might actually get some mileage out of some more situational properties like Heartseeking if you could spontaneously apply them on the fly as a Magus.

Also if Flaming and friends weren't trash properties.

What breaks if, on the Technician and gunslinger w/ firearms side of things, you reduce costs for firearm and siege engine ammo to 1/10th the listed cost, then to 1/100th the listed cost with the Gunsmithing feat

Something akin to the Reaver class from Dragon Age

Do those guys do something different?

Sorry for the poor explanation, I was looking for something more progressive instead of something fixed at a threshold

>That said, you might actually get some mileage out of some more situational properties like Heartseeking if you could spontaneously apply them on the fly as a Magus.
This is the problem, the only things worthwhile are keen and pure +1's, unless your weapon is already rocking a flat +5. Adding anything to your quality list costs both arcana and extra pool points to do. You know why the Occultist and Fighter's versions are so good despite being standard actions? They're WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT THEM TO BE, no extra cost.
This is totally unrelated to Shifter though, so I should probably stop.

>because another thing the Shifter lacks is a way to buff its hit and damage as a class feature
The closest thing I can think of is the fact that it can get "natural weapon lethal grace with full level" as a feat, which is going to get errata'd into worthlessness from orbit so hard that it's going to probably leave a hole in people's hardcopies.

The shifter as a whole just lacks EVERYTHING, it reads like an incomplete first draft of something. Aspect would have been alright if it had an animal companion and worked like the Hunter's, since then at least you've got a permanent feature. Shapeshifting would have been alright if it hadn't been as limited. Having to pick specific aspects wouldn't have been bad if you were picking them as things to always have as something to do. Instead they went the worst route. You could straight up bolt Ranger casting onto it and the class would still look like it's missing things.
Can someone please find the screenshot of the warpriest archetype with wildshape, I know I didn't hallucinate it.

What items can be used to murder a mage?

Anyone have art that would work for a female psyarm? Kemonomimi is fine too

A knife.

Depends on the mage.

Do you need "Use Magic Device" to use things like Hat of Disguise or is it only for rods and wands?

Guys, I'm looking at the Shielded Fighter archetype
d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/shielded-fighter
On the Sheld Fighter ability there's this wording:
With a full-attack action, a shielded fighter may alternate between using his weapon or his shield for each attack. This action does not grant additional attacks or incur penalties as two-weapon fighting does.
Is it me or does this do nothing? I was under the impression you could always mix attacks from different weapons and you only take penalties if you want the extra attacks from two weapon fighting, did I get that wrong.

You can only do full attacks with your main hand, which you designate when you are making the attack. You can't change the weapon you are using mid-full attack without quicdraw shenanigans or something similar.

found it, it's worse than I expected, but still arguably better than Shifter as a whole

those are brawler archetypes

You probably won't find something like that because that seems needlessly cumbersome for a table top game. Even by Pathfinder's standards.

it's just for rods, wands, staves, and scrolls

Venomfist is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, now that i look at it. It could stand to have some tweaks to make it actually effective (like the stacking thing) but otherwise what it replaces isn't too horrifically punishing if you're aiming for pure unarmed anyway.

I guess you're right. Homebrew it is then, I'm a gaming masochist

Is there a Psionic Equivalent of Arcane Strike?

How disruptive is Cent to the game?

Where does it say that?

In the Combat chapter, Actions in Combat section, under Full attack says
>If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.
Tho that might be only when you are actually getting extra attacks. But I don't see any where that says you can't mix attacks with two normally.

>Cent
What is that and should I be worried? I've been thinking about running an AP and kingmaker sounds kinda cool.

Either weapon, meaning you choose which one you use to full attack. Using both or switching between counts as using twf and applies the normal penalties.

It's a player in the game, user. It won't effect your own efforts. Kingmaker sucks, though.

Is there a reason for the kitsune OPs? Are they actually connected to Pathfinder or is it just a board culture thing?

It's one very prolific autist.

It's a combination of "Somebody wants to annoy somebody", "The OP is a weeaboo and/perverted" and "Somebody else did it before".

Well, where does it say that? That's my question.

You're serioulsy telling me you can't mix shield bashes and sword strikes without TWF or this class ability?

Hm, combining Venomfist with Snakebite Striker seems like an interesting flavor for a punchdude that's really into snakes. I didn't think they stack, but after checking it turns out they do. I've never played a Brawler before though, so I have no idea if it's actually a combination worth using. All I know about the Snakebite Striker is that it's used in a build that gets more Sneak Attack than Rogue.

I'll share greentexts with /pfg/ but I prefer to keep some distance from the threads because I don't want to shove my game in other peoples' faces. I'm not interested in playing /pfg/'s celebrity politics or becoming part of that game either, so when I do talk about Blingmaker here I would rather talk about the game, not the players. But for what it's worth, all of my players are great.

Now I'm just going to disappear back into the void of anonymity and stop replying to posts about Blingmaker.

Cent is one of my players, not a thing in the AP. But more importantly, if you're thinking about running Kingmaker I would suggest that 1) you see how your players will feel about the kingdom building mechanics beforehand and in particular figure out whether they think monthly kingdom phases look like obnoxious bookkeeping or an interesting mini-game, 2) you throw out mass combat altogether, even freeform RP or cutscenes would be a better way to handle large-scale battles than the mass combat rules, and 3) you use Ultimate Campaign's kingdom building rules instead of the ones in Kingmaker.

Also, get a feel for what your players expect and consider tweaking the AP to match. For example, vanilla Kingmaker doesn't really give the PCs much in the way of interacting with other kingdoms, so you might create some small kingdoms in the Greenbelt, have other River Kingdoms send envoys, or keep regular contact with Brevoy.

Kingmaker needs a DM to put in a lot of work to make it really shine, but when it's good it's great.

>All I know about the Snakebite Striker is that it's used in a build that gets more Sneak Attack than Rogue.
I'm pretty sure SA is supposed to be hard capped to "half level rounded up" no matter the bullshit people pull, but maybe that's merely a PFS ruling or some shit.

It's not said anywhere because that's never asked by anybody. And because there is no benefit to switching between weapons during a full attack outside of something like Sword and Pistol, but at that point you already have made some bad mistakes and have TWF (which may or may not be part of the former) so that becomes moot. That feature just allows you to shield bash with full STR modifier and to utilize shield bash and stuff without needing TWF.

Where are people talking about the Shifter?
What's the paizo forums general reception?

My Perception: It's not a mechanically strong class and some of the archetypes are very niche, but it's kind of goofy and unique and I feel like it's probably enjoyable to roleplay.

>but it's kind of goofy and unique and I feel like it's probably enjoyable to roleplay.
It's literally just Druid lite. There's nothing really unique about.

Capping it like that is probably the intention, yes, although I don't have a specific citation of the rules or even a comment from a dev to support that. I just think I remember people had been talking here about a build a long time ago that involved quite a bit of dipping but walked away with more Sneak Attack dice than seemed like should be possible.

The product discussion page for Ultimate Wilderness.

paizo.com/products/btpy9ujo/discuss?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Ultimate-Wilderness

Predictably there are people read to lap up whatever Paizo wants to feed them and other people who say something along the lines of, "Holding back my judgement until ___". But several people also seemed to be aware of how poorly designed this class and the content of Ultimate Wilderness in general is. Hell, the Oozemorph got a whole thread of its own because people there thought it was cool but bad just like we did.

So, all in all it's a mixed bag but I think a lot of disappointment on their end.

It never says that because it's not a rule. If you have multiple attacks you're free to use whatever weapon you like for each attack, you only need TWF to get more attacks than your iteratives provide. So if you have +7/+2 BAB, you could use sword for one and shield for the other. But if you want to do two sword hits and then a shield bash, you need TWF.

So kingmaker is more suited to slightly more experienced GMs? Would Reign of Winter, Crimson Throne, or Runelords be better? Any other APs?

The half-shapeshift state is sort of cool. It feels like the shifter is to the druid what the magus is to the wizard.

>The half-shapeshift state is sort of cool
You mean that thing Rangers, Barbarians, and Sorcerers were doing for years?

Thank you. Thought I was going mad for a second.
So the wording on the fighter archetype is just paizo QUALITY striking again.

Runelords is probably your best bet as a new GM.

IG is a sandbox, lot of extra rules and hard as all hell, so experience required. Reign is pretty straight forward as far a the first two books go, but things take a turn to the right in albuquerque and boards the crazy trains from the third book and onwards with both characters and combat encounters, so being a good at Gm side RP and describing makes it better so I would say experience needed. Crimson Throne is mostly RP, but combat is rather basic and everything is lined out to you, so easy enough. Runelords is the most basic campaign out of the all, save for Giantslayers aka Meatgrinders. and pretty much the best for a starter AP.

Rise of the Runelords is definitely intended for new GMs. The story and mechanics on the GM side of it start out incredibly simple, and roughly scale as the players do, so you get a chance to get your feet under you before being bombarded by obscure content.

Plus, it's a great AP and doesn't have any godawful subsystems. Highly recommended.

Kingmaker is more suited for GMs who want their players to have a bad time.

The essence thief is literally pic related

I'll note that in that particular case, you would also be wielding both as weapons, and be subject to two weapon penalties.
One of the anons did mention things with quickdraw shenanigans, though as shenanigans, they could easily not go over well.
And, of course, your DM might be fine with you splitting your attacks like that anyways. As always, best to just ask if you plan for it to be a thing and get an idea how it will work in your campaign.

Does anyone have info on the ranger and barbarin content for ultimate wilderness?

Does it give you four balls as a class feature?

Speaking of shenanigans: If I have the quickdraw feat and a quickdraw shield, making drawing and sheathing the shield a free action, does this mean I could get the benefits of having a shield and having a two-handed weapon as I see fit?

So, I have been playing for a while and I'm a bit dissapointed by the lack of roleplay or meaningful conflict. How do I encourage the GM to do better? Should I encourage him to give us personal quests or something?

Ask him about it and make suggestions you think might help.
As always, the answer is to fucking talk to your GM and fellow players like a fucking adult.

>The essence thief
I'm out of the loop. Is this something in playtest, utimate wilderness or Spheres of Power/Might?

What other books are even under work? Like I can't think of much that they haven't touched yet.

Ultimate Erotica is scheduled for a release in May of 2017

I'm making a homebrew vigilante archetype that's basically the warlock, but Psionic.

What should I name it?

Ascendant

From top to bottom:
Potions and Poisons
Taldor, the First Empire
Sunken City
Tower of the Drowned Dead
Beyond the Veiled Past
Merchant's Manifest
Songbird, Scion, Saboteur (First book of the next AP)

Also pawns, flipmats, card game stuff and what not. There might be some other stuff that is not listed, but that's what the wiki at least says.

Meant for

>May of 2017

I would unironically buy this.
Ah. I'm guessing most of these are the tiny player companion/campaign setting things? Or is one of them a full sized hardback? Merchants manifest sounds kinda cool

>I would unironically buy this.
You are trash.

He either meant 2018 or said 2017 to illustrate that it isn't coming out at all, as a joke.

Of course you would. Why? What could it possibly have that you would want, why would you believe Paizo wouldn't ruin it, and even if you did want a book of lewd material why not just use The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge or Pathfinder VICEs? I mean besides the fact that they both suck.