>Who is established by his own request as a saucy barmaid
>He never sends money
>She ends up cucking him with the innkeeper
>Player founds out and throws an IRL tantrum
>Screaming at me, pounding the table, spittle flying
>He has to be restrained by his best friend from attacking me
>We can hear him still shouting and crying outside as his friend takes him home

What the fuck did I do?

You fucked with a social awkward kid who's lacking in some kind of mental stability. Also It's still fuck to do that. Like Killing of a PC's parents even though they're nowhere near plot wise stuff.

So you're both dicks

>What the fuck did I do?
You became That DM without knowing you had That Guy in your group.
You're a bad DM, but
>He has to be restrained by his best friend from attacking me
>We can hear him still shouting and crying outside as his friend takes him home
this is hilarious, and I DEMAND you share more context.

wtf

He is a That Guy and very possessive.

He expected that his background would not be touched and he would not need to justify anything from it.

Characters getting cucked is a basic theme in literature. The player forgot that he is the master iof his fate, but not the world's.

Players not being able to differentiate from their character is rookie mistake 101.

Not the DM but thats not an unrealistic consequence for an absentee husband and lusty barwench

Waifus are serious business.

How is it "That DM" behavior?

I mean, that shit happens IRL too, also the fact that

>Who is established by his own request as a saucy barmaid

I mean, I could've called that shit 100000000 miles away

OP did nothing wrong, he didn't fuck with his character at all, depower him or any of that. God forbid plot that revolves around characters happen.

Jesus Christ

How old was that faggot?

To be honest, the only situation where this would be more likely were if she were the wife of a private in the United States Army

The story would be better if you got in a fight.

>never around
>doesnt send money
>could be dead for all she knows

Whats the problem? Just going off of limited info, but, why would he even want a pretend wife if hes not going to have a pretend relationship?

He never did anything for his wife beyond breezing through town occasionally expecting a fuck and a free bed to sleep in. It's totally reasonable to assume that after years of this treatment she would give him the fuck off.

I didn't even rub it in or make it cruel, she just met him in the inn and told him she was with the innkeeper now, and that he should probably leave.

Also there was plotline to it, she was going to get kidnapped by his enemies and it was his chance to win her back, or rescue her because it's the right thing to do and then tell her to fuck off, which would have been cathartic.

Pretend tax credits

You know what OP?

You did nothing wrong. Fuck the other autists in here.

Also fuck your squealing player, like Seriously, I think this is very relevant information

Turn it into a positive. Time to go odyssey on these nigguhs

>I mean, that shit happens IRL too
This has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it's good storytelling or worth including in a game. As far as I'm concerned, though, the real question here is whether the GM hinted at what might happen if the PC kept ignoring his wife. Like, an occasional reminder of the wife's existence, a mention of their anniversary approaching or whatever.

Oh well then fuck the player

> Gone years at a time
> Never sends money

Of course she's going to fucking shop around but what you should have done is given the player the chance to identify that there were marital problems and given him a chance to make things right instead of saying 'yeah, she slept with the innkeeper because reasons'.

It's not That DM territory but it is kinda dickish

The wife did make it clear that she wasn't happy with the state of affairs during the husband's previous visits, right? If she did, I'm with : you did nothing wrong. If she didn't try actually talking things through beforehand, you did plenty wrong.

I'm not sure if it's even dickish, it's just clumsy. It's not being a That DM, but it's kind of bad DMing, in the sense of being poorly handled.

>never did anything for his wife beyond breezing through town occasionally expecting a fuck and a free bed to sleep in
How much feedback did he have on this? If you never give him any indication that his pretend wife is un-okay with that, her suddenly leaving him is going to look like you just up and decided to be a dick one day.

>Also there was plotline to it, she was going to get kidnapped by his enemies and it was his chance to win her back, or rescue her because it's the right thing to do and then tell her to fuck off, which would have been cathartic.
Apparently you misread his tastes in adventure/drama.

He's 24. He's also married IRL. And he has kids.

Pic unrelated. I don't have any more saucy barmaid type pictures.

The last couple times he blew through town I had her complain about money at him, and say she wished he was around more. I think I said something she makes him sleep in one of the other rooms at the inn or something. I didn't really want to roleplay more than that, because you know, it's weird.

DM did nothing wrong

What the fuck. No seriously, what the fuck?

...ok, now that I am done with disbelief, I think I see where maybe he would get kind of shitty. Perhaps whether his wife is happy in their marriage or if he's a good father weighs on his mind quite a bit.

If that *is* the case, or if their marriage is in a tad chaotic state, and you knew beforehand, well, then you're a massive dick and no one should have to explain to you why that shit wouldn't go down well.

I'm going to withhold that judgement for now and assume that if that is infact the case, you were unaware of it.

Maybe you touched a nerve lol

Here's a japanese's version of a barmaid for you

So this is the new bait? Some PC had a relationship or was interest in one and gets cucked? Boring

Well that's alarming. Guess something hit a nerve somewhere.

>I didn't really want to roleplay more than that, because you know, it's weird.
I mean, at some point you gotta go for it or not. If you don't wanna bother with marital issues, that's fine and in retrospect was probably preferable. If you do wanna bother with marital issues, that can make the world feel more alive and so on, hindsight aside. If you don't wanna do the second thing because it's weird but you want major stuff to happen because of it anyway, there's a decent chance it's gonna come off as hamfisted and sudden, as it did.

Sounds like he either has problems with his own marriage or is the type that cant differentiate ttrpg and real life.

In my opinion, you did nothing wrong OP.

>I didn't really want to roleplay more than that, because you know, it's weird.
>acting is weird
Shit DM confirmed.

You probably hit too close to home for him

Yeah
>having fling with a girl
>shit's not working out as intended
>friend makes a joke about cuckoldry
>I get miffed

Gave me a good laff.

Pound his wife. Clearly he doesn't give a shit.

I don't know what's going on in his marriage. I barely know him, because he's more a friend of my brother.

The situation is that I GM for my brother's group and they're all 2-3 years older than me, and have been permaGM for about 2 years now.

The thing is though that he established in his character creation that he was married and to who he was married to. I actually sort of thought he was inviting me to create this sort of plotline with the background.

Obliged to you

What you're asking for is a trigger warning.

>I actually sort of thought he was inviting me to create this sort of plotline with the background.
Nigger you what.
Only cucks like getting NTRed. Literally. To anyone else it'd be a disgusting thing done to them.

Ok, then you haven't done him dirty, mate. Though I'd still be...very concerned about inviting him back to the table, as that is not a healthy response.

Fuck off nigger, that isn't even it.

He ain't asking for shit. He's saying if he already knew about it, that was a dick move. Not that he should have known about it or broadcast a warning label ahead of time.

>If you never give him any indication that his pretend wife is un-okay with that, her suddenly leaving him is going to look like you just up and decided to be a dick one day.

How about the indication is the player's own indifference towards his wife? That, in no sense of the phrase, is a healthy relationship and it was doomed to end.

Oh additional info, this guy has only been playing with us for four months. He used to play with my brother in high school but I gather he's been in the wind since then until just recently.

>I actually sort of thought he was inviting me to create this sort of plotline with the background.

AHAH oh wow that's where you fucked up son

>a man of culture
KILL THE SUITORS INVOKE THE WRATH OF GOD

What kind of person thinks that a woman who's character has been established as fiery and lusty, and who works in a fucking tavern is going to take being shat on for years by an absent husband.

Jees, he could at least have slung her some gold every now and then. She's hustling for coppers every day and he blows through with his new shiny armor that cost him 600 gold pieces and he couldn't spare a single gold piece for his wife.

Honestly I was offended on her behalf, and she's just a figment of our collective imaginations.

Having a husband/wife is not writting additional item in your shitty chracter's inventory. You need to put some fucking effort to make everything work and show throughout the game that character is doing something to make it work. If anything OP made the right call, trying to ROLEPLAY this shit as not working and trying to appeal to the player to make changes.

Were you playing a real life grit game where bad shit happens, or a happy fantasy, where the heroes always win?

If its the former you were within the right and that is fucking hilarious.

If its the former, you fucked with his magical realm, and while still equally hilarious, though you are a dick.

You

I like the way you think

OP asked why thing happen
Guy replies why thing happen

Doesn't matter if its a basic theme of literature you think this guy read anything but reddit comments?

You made cuckold story about a man and his imaginary wife. How was he like before he got cucked?

I mean, that kind of thing starts fading into plausible deniability a lot. Presumably the guy's not roleplaying every detail and expectations are pretty subjective, so in his head and the GM's head things might have been going very differently.

Of particular note on the expectations bit: It's a game, meant to be enjoyable by everyone involved. If somebody wants a loyal slutty wife he never does anything with, there's an obvious case for giving it to him. There are cases for not giving it to him too, but "it's not realistic" is the background for why it bugs you, not the end of the discussion.

The case for giving it to him and then slapping it out of his hands is pretty thin. That's usually the kind of shit that happens because somebody's a dick or lets things get out of control without noticing it, not a fun thing friends do because it's fun.

As in like him, or his character?

Can't make a ho into a housewife.

Looking through this thread, its interesting. As another long time DM I will say, you did nothing wrong. You did not alter the player's character, or otherwise directly interfere with his ability to play.

Backstories, are not the personal property of the player, they are a role playing tool for the DM and the player. Using elements of a player's backstory, is as old as backstories in Veeky Forums.

If someone is emotionally unstable or immature, they should not be using a fantasy game of pretend as a crutch. The onus is on them to recognize that there is a need for them to develop and mature to a point where they can distinguish the separation of reality and fantasy, not indulge in it and try to blend the two.

The DM is not responsible for the actions of the players, players need to take personal responsibility, and keep themselves in check.

You disrupted his power fantasy dude. That's what it really comes down to. A lot of players don't really give a shit about playing in a setting where one's actions have realistic consequences, they just want to fantasize about being a hero for a few hours a week. It sounds like you were the best GM you could be about foreshadowing this complication, but whenever logic runs up against fantasy, there's going to be friction.

>>Player founds out and throws an IRL tantrum
>>Screaming at me, pounding the table, spittle flying
>>He has to be restrained by his best friend from attacking me

Something tells me that guy calls people "beta cucks" a lot on the internet. May self- identify (in private) as an incel. Making his character a literal cuckold in the game... priceless.

>having a slut wife you never see is a power fantasy
Imagine even being a failure in your dreams

See

His character.

Is the wife named Luca?

It is a power fantasy though. How is having the magic dick that can tame the most unruly and sluttiest of women not a power fantasy?

>Defending a shitty, unstable player

OP should fuck his wife for the double kill

>CTRL+F "Shit that never happened"
>0 results
Veeky Forums pls

I'd like to preface this by saying that he was overreacting and a retard. That being said:

>Did you talk to him to clarify what kind of person his wife is?
>Did you bring up the chance of her cheating on him to see if he had even considered the possibility?
>Did you have her write him a letter in character to communicate?
>Did you even let in an ounce of random chance, or just say "lol this woman who loved you at one point now hates you without any communication or hesitation because I would hate you in this situation."
Again, I'd like to state that he overreacted and is a dick. But you clearly made a mistake when you took part of a character's backstory and influenced it negatively without even remotely communicating with the PC that this might happen. It's the equivalent of the classic "kill the PC's family because the PC is important." You're the reason that people are afraid to have anything in their backstory other than being a lonely orphan.

I think the power fantasy he intended was less having a slutty barmaid as a wife, but having a personal slutty barmaid as a wife.

Nobody wants a wife that sleeps around. A lot of people would be down with having a wife that used to be a slut, with all the experience that implies, except they remain exclusive with you.

>you didn't alter his character directly, so using his backstory in a way he didn't like is good GMing
You sound like a long time shit DM. The point of a game is to be fun, not to conform to the following Code of Backstories.

>deflecting instantly

What? Sounds plausible to me.

>didn't read the thread

>she cucked him
not my fetish. How about
>she was a good faithful waifu, but the town criminal element noticed she had no man around to protect her, so they gangraped and mind broke her, so when you return home she's rapetarded

He's like a sort of archetype of the "smart guy" fighter. His character sheet describes him as being "lean, quick and hard". Longsword and shield, generally acting as a defensive prop for the weaker characters.
He plays his pc as being sharp and ruthless to outsiders but completely loyal to his friends. His reason for adventuring is that he's an ex-soldier out of work now that the goblin wars have been comprehensively won (before the campaign started). He's not the face of the party but he has a tendency to pull that role if he's in a subgroup or the actual face is busy.

As a person I think he's person in the group who comes closest to being like a jock. But I don't actually know him that well. I was honestly quite shocked by his outburst, it seemed very out of character. My brother says though that he's always been a bit strange like that. Or was at school anyway. I actually quite liked him till today, I didn't do it out of a desire to be a dick to him, I thought he would go with the story. I tend to give the party quests every now and then based off of backstories. I'm feeling quite bad about it, I've had about a whole six pack since my brother left, which is a lot for me.

Took some time to google more barmaids.

Please go outside

At no point did the DM say to his face that the problem was this bad. He literally just went from "your wife is upset with you" to "your wife cheated on you and wants nothing to do with you." He obviously didn't communicate how the wife felt very clearly, and even admitted that he didn't roleplay it out more than something he barely remembers himself as per

I mean, if my wife is a barmaid and I'm off doing whatever 360 days a year in exotic lands and saving bitches from dragons as a normal occurrence... I'm gonna sleep around. And am fine with my fake wife sleeping around. Shit's just more convenient that way.

If this player didn't want that he shoulda been her pen-pal at least. What I'm interpreting here is a player who isn't committed to their backstory and just wants something he can't have for fetish reasons.

I have no sympathy for this player.

Oh, so you get to have your NTR shit, but I can't have my noncon?
fuck you, you go outside.

>It's the equivalent of the classic "kill the PC's family because the PC is important." You're the reason that people are afraid to have anything in their backstory other than being a lonely orphan.
No fuck you. I'm gonna defend my actions here. There was nothing arbitrary about what happened. It was a 100% forseeable occurrence that was utterly grounded in reality.
If you treat your wife shittily, she is probably going to slut around and leave you. if she's got a good character she'll just leave you. But he specified a woman with presumably low morals.

I don't just dick with my characters backstories for giggles, and every other quest I've done based on characters back stories had been well received.

For some people having any sort of sex that doesn't involve an animal, child or inanimate object is a power fantasy.
Think about the amount of people that go on about having sex with their girlfriends or a one-night stand they had.

In our culture, and I assume many others, having sex with a woman is a universal mark of becoming a man, and if you don't by many people you'll be considered to be a failure or mentally broken in some way.

To some people: you can have a crappy dead-end job you've been working for years, have strained or distant relationships with family and friends, live in a bad apartment in the worst part of town, and have multiple instances of petty crime but you'll still be better than another man as long as you've had sex and they didn't.

ow the edge

You didn't clarify what kind of woman she was further than "saucy barmaid" and immediately ran to the conclusion that she's a floozy who would rather drop him and immediately sleep with someone else than talk to her husband about her problems. It was foreseeable, but so is the BBEG raping and pillaging the hometown of the PC (especially targeting their family) to dissuade them from adventuring and foiling his plans. I'm not saying your actions weren't logical, they were just bad DMing. You assumed the character and feelings of a person that he ultimately decides the nature of to be equivalent to feelings that you have. I'll ask again, did you clarify what kind of person she was, or did you just write over anything the player had decided about his own backstory? For all I've seen in this thread you took the phrase "saucy barmaid" to mean "slut who would rather cheat than have a serious conversation."

But you pulled it out of the blue. You should have foreshadowed it, even just a lil bit. Now the player was mostly at fault, but stop pretending that you didn't go about this hamfistedly, you'll never improve if you refuse to accept your mistakes.

he did foreshadow it. OP said last time PC was in town the wife mentioned her lonesomeness.,

>I'm not saying your actions weren't logical, they were just bad DMing
Are you a woman by any chance?

You really seem annoyed about the imaginay barmaid being "slut shamed" or something.

Your mother is a woman, bitch.
Your mother is a goblin, and I too am I goblin.

>You sound like a long time shit DM. The point of a game is to be fun, not to conform to the following Code of Backstories.
You sound like a shit player who wants to engage your own personal magic realm at the coast of the other players' fun.

The I too am a goblin part implies that I have fucked your mother btw you english bitch.

>hurr slut shaming
If anyone is a woman here it's the retard DM who can't accept a woman being in a bad relationship and constantly talks about how she would feel in the same situation and assumes the married woman sleeping around isn't a bad thing

Just answer the question.

>What? Sounds plausible to me.
Literally how. This is just a thinly veiled "I put cuckolding/NTR in my game" thread. Next the dude who got his sword cucked from him will join in

>be DM
>Character has wife in backstory
>Make wife cuck him for the lulz
>Surprised when he chimps out.

Like, he shouldn't be crying over a game, but good gracious man you cucked him just because you could.

so you would get a girlfriend if you could only communicate or interact once a month?
that would be even worse than a modern long-distance relationship, since there's no phones.
it's not like his character got drafted into a war. he probably just loots tombs and kills random cultists that are a province away

>retard DM
That escalated quickly.

>who can't accept a woman being in a bad relationship and constantly talks about how she would feel in the same situation and assumes the married woman sleeping around isn't a bad thing
What the fuck are you even talking about? All I siad was it was the nearly possibly inevitable consequence of the way the player was acting. And in the circumstance, considering how shittily the player has treated their wife, I don't know if it's even a bad thing.

How are you even getting to this point from what I've said so far. There's a serious logical disconnect there, or at least it seems so to me.

No, the answer is no you goblin-bastard.

I'm not sure the way I described it counts as fetish material. The barmaid literally met him in the tavern and said she was with the innkeeper now, and that he should go away.
If you think that's fetish material then you must thik 90% of literature is fetish material.

>What the fuck did I do?
Laugh and send him a link to BLACKED.com

>and every other quest I've done based on characters back stories had been well received.
Probably because it didn't involve something very negative.
Why your first thought was "I should cuck this character" is entirely beyond me. I gotta agree with the dude who said it's like killing off the backstory. What was he supposed to do?

Not that user, but how do you not see that just going out and cheating instead of having a serious conversation is a bad thing? Also we're getting to this point because trolls, and also because you aren't giving any more information, presumably because it paints you to be the bad guy. I said it before, you might as well have just killed off a player's family offscreen because it was "logical."

>The barmaid literally met him in the tavern and said she was with the innkeeper now, and that he should go away.
Wow, what a great fucking personal quest this creates. Jesus fuck you're dumb, how could you be surprised that he is pissed. If the dude hadn't chimped out, everyone would be clearly pointing their finger at you

Because shit happens, and this hasn't made his character mechanically or story-wise worse.
It's given him a mundane but still somewhat emotional problem to work through, opening the opportunity for character development and role-playing, as well as possibly giving motivation for a short quest to somehow get her back, find someone or something else to fill the void inside your heart, or even go on revenge quest to screw-over her or the boyfriend.
It's probably better for this to happen than to have the once every 3 sessions thing of the player roleplaying kissy kissy with the GM, or doing the overdone thing of villain kidnapping or killing the love interest.

Sorry, but what would you have done? That's how real people really act.

Later on he would have got a message that his wife had been kidnapped, and that he should meet the kidnappers at a dark place alone, with the implication that if he's damn fool enough to actually go there, they'll try and kill him. The party have handled situations like this before, they all know how to turn the tables on the kidnappers, use their allies to find the kidnapped person, etc.

The player could decide to not bother with the rescue, to rescue the wife and rewin her love or to rescue her and then give her the fuckoff for catharsis.

You must literally be trolling now because I did explain all this before.