Yu

If this card was real, would it get ban immediately?

No fucking shit, of course it would. It's even better than pot of greed, by a good chunk because it lets you reuse whatever tech happened to wind up in there.

This is why you don't make custom cards.

How would you balance it?

One of two ways:

>some obscenely complicated casting requirements
or
>making you banish half your library, or your whole hand, or something equally stupid before you use it

Not If you have no cards in your hand, your opponent chooses 2 cards for you graveyard and the rest gets exiled.

This card would still get restricted to one.

Make it two at random and banish the rest.

You have to consider that this is the going rate for generically adding a spell to the hand.

>Get two
>Draw your entire graveyard

Probably I would add a requirement + going to End Step immediately. This way you can't use it as part of some retarded combo and your opponent has a turn to prepare for it.

How about
>banish 2 cards from your grave, during the end phase of this turn add those cards to your hand.
>each player can only use the effect of pot of death once per duel.

Still probably OP

>jar of incarnation
>select one card in your deck and place it in your GY. Then select one card in your GY of the same type (monster/spell/trap) as that card and add it to your deck. The deck is then shuffled

Pot of death
>continuous
:during your draw phase instead of conducting your normal draw you may send one card from the top of your deck to the grave then select one card from your graveyard and add it to your hand.
Destroy this card during the end phase of your second turn after activation.

Discard 2, 3, or 4 cards as part of the cost.

You can't. Yugioh doesn't have resource management so there are some effects that you can't put on a single card.

Hilariously broken because you could chain two copies for infinite advantage.

That's somewhat of a misnomer. Yugioh has plenty of resources, just not ones that are so easily identifiable like like the traditional 'mana'.

... So, going -3 for a +1 of your choice? That seems a little overly harsh, but I'm also not sure how you would balance that properly so it didn't end up in every deck ever.

It seems really shitty but it's a popular card in many decks albeit usually no more than 1 copy at a time.

Flip a coin. If heads add the top card from your Graveyard to your hand, if tails add the bottom card from your Graveyard to your hand.

In an ideal situation you'd be discarding something that wants to be in the graveyard, like Burning Abyss or something.

True, I forget a lot of cards actually benefit more from being put in the grave than being played normally. I guess I can see how that card still sees play.

Pot of what?

>That seems a little overly harsh
In yugioh, hand size is literally THE limiting factor.
Imagine if, in Magic, mana costs weren't a thing. You could play whatever the fuck you wanted.
Blue would absolutely shitstomp everything because while most decks get a 7 card hand, blue could literally draw the entire library in one turn.

That’s still broken because it’s free card advantage.

it sounds like it would be fun, so of course it would get banned.

I don't know shit about YGO but that just seems busted no matter how you slice it.

>play 2 cards for free
>recure them for free
>play them again for free

It's a janky system that's very limited in it's competitive formats.

Except YGO mandates sacrifices for 5*+ monsters and one summon per round

>Sacrifices
>Relevant

>Get one Pot of Death in my graveyard
>Cast another
>Infinite loop of getting pots back and infinitely recasting my graveyard

It's a card that's fucking broken just with itself.

it can target itself, tempest magician + any card that counts spell counters, OR royal magical library infinite loop possible.

Tribute summoning, the traditional way of playing the game, should always be relevant.

>sacrifices for 5*+ monsters and one summon per round

I'm not implying the card is even remotely balanced or that this is the only problem with the card, but if that was the only issue with it (which it isn't) then putting it at 1 would stop that.

Even in the old days, decks either made little use of Tribute Summoning or did their hardest to cheat their way round it.

Yugioh needed to limit spells to 1xturn like critters. The lack of such a limit has crippled the game.

I think about the only thing that ever got Tribute Summoned was Summoned Skull because it only cost a single sac for it's huge (At the time) power.

better question: how would you balance this card?

My suggestion: Draw two cards from the graveyard and play them IMMEDIATELY, THEN sacrifice two monsters you have on the field or two thousand life points.

That's abusable by reviving monsters that have their effects activated when they're sent from the field to the graveyard.

>Activate only during your Main Phase 2. Each player adds 1 card from the graveyard to their hand, except Pot of Death. You can only activate one "Pot of Death" per turn.

This way, you can't use it first turn unless your opponent has already hit you with a hand trap. It's also a -1. I'd still run 3 in most decks, but it'd be fair.

>Activate only if you have 2 or more cards in your hand.
>Discard two cards from your hand
>Shuffle your graveyard and draw two cards randomly from it
There, balanced.

>pot of death
Yes, please.