/swg/ - Sheev edition

Last thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?list=PLRFGEGUhsfgLIHZcCUP89sUYBFSZH1-ty&v=dqPZ-GeWFeU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For the user in the last thread that got advice on their list and tactics and moved from last to third, congrats!

You can always get better, and knowing that is always helpful.

What changes did you make to the list, what did you fly against, and for each game, how did you fly (and how did you setup)?

What would Palpatine do once he's successfully built the Death Star II, crushed the rebellion, and totally consolidated his rule over the galaxy?

What's the long game for Sheev?

Probably idck around in ancient sith magics, fueled by a galaxy of suffering. Unlock the secret of existence, and stop any possible resurgence of the not-dark side of the force.

direct all the galaxies doctors and scientists into finding a cure for his fucked up face

Building on this, without a credible resistance to worry about emboldening, I imagine Palpatine would dial up the oppression to eleven.

He could probably also turn the military's interests towards Hutt Space, and finally subjugate it.

Sheev, (aka 'Marjorie' to friends) was essentially trying to use the dark side to completely alter the Force. With enough pain, suffering, fear and memes the galaxy was supposed to permanently be set on full emo for the rest of time, thus Sheev ends up controlling the force.

Ok, it didn't work, but he managed to get most of those plans in place except for those damn meddling kids

>the "EMPIRE WAS A PLAN FOR SUFFERING GUYS" fan theory

I don't know what's worse: having to live in a reality where one of the best science fiction villains of all time is actually named Sheev, or seeing this fanon thrown out again and again.

ok but like

Snoke

What do you think his plan was?

He's an evil space wizard, I doubt ruling was the endgame.

>>he wanted the galaxy to suffer
>>goes super oppressive
>>the dark side is artificial and not a natural part of the force itself
>mfw

Likely the Empire would keep the Death Star around Coruscant or Byss as a defensive station.

The remaining Rebel planets would've subjugated and subjected to harsh persecution, though they would find an improving economy and socio-stability under an Imperial regime.

Rebel leaders would be tried for their actions and either imprisoned or executed, likely publicly to galvanize loyalists and deter any further rebels.

Things would go on quite normally for a few decades. The Outer Rim would see a reduction in piracy and crime but a reduction in freedom. Mid Rim and inward economic growth would begin to take off, but for the average citizen life would go on as normal.

The Empire's victory in a war that'd been going on for nearly a decade would result in some pride among the populace, and likely a sense of unity would befall much of the galactic population. Humans and Near-Humans, at least.

Then the Vong show up.

I don't know how it is in NuCanon, but Palpatine's end goal in the EU was to first form an orderly and autocratic society to bring the galaxy together, then begin shifting it into a Sith theocracy, which according to the Sith Order would bring about a galaxy-wide utopia of peace and devotion to the Sith philosophy.

I doubt he'd crank it up too much except on the Outer Rim. People living in the Core Worlds live rather well still, even in the nu-canon.

It's not a fan theory. The tarkin book lays this out as the big plan pretty clearly

>a reduction in piracy and crime
Not really. The Empire still cut deals with Hutts and Black Sun. Pirates and criminals not under the Empire's thumb would be exterminated, but Black Sun and Palps' favored Hutts would have prospered.

I don't follow nu-canon.

True, but I think after the Rebels did the same thing and got a bunch of pirates on their side, Palpatine would wisen up and start cracking down more harshly on corruption and piracy. Pirates that helped the Empire would be fine, but overall their numbers would decrease from jailings and fleet actions that would come in the years after the war.

So because he's an "evil space wizard" he can never have any motives, goals, plans, or actions that aren't 100% evil for no reason other than to be evil?

You forget that Xizor was on Palps' payroll. And after Palps kills the crime lords who don't fall in line, it's almost certain that Black Sun would have moved in to fill the resulting void.

>utopia of peace
>"Peace is a lie"
Palps wouldn't have given a shit about a peaceful galaxy. His end goal was unlimited power and he did his thing because he genuinely enjoyed being a supervillain. The man doesn't end war or corruption, he causes it and laughs all the way to the bank.

Palpatine cut deals with criminals out of necessity. Once they aren't needed as part of the Empire's supply chain I imagine they'd be stomped out in short order.

Palpatine was a power-hungry Machiavellian, but he wasn't a mustache-twirling cartoon character.

Everything he did had a purpose, and never was it to be evil for evil's sake. That's what made him such a compelling character. Machiavellian villains almost always are.

Then nucanon fucked it up.

How did nuncanon fuck it up? His motivations are pretty clearly outlined and built on in nucanon, they're just slightly different.

Palpatine didn't want to create suffering for the sake of it, it was to strengthen the dark side.

His motivations are much more simplistic and not nearly as fleshed-out.

Then there's this whole controversy over the dark side becoming this objectively evil monster that's a corruption of life, rather than a natural side of the Force's yin-yang.

The part about causing suffering to fuel it is a result of the problem, not the problem itself, and that problem is everything's been dumbed down, the nuance is being taken out, and things are becoming simplified.

To echo a popular nerd reviewer Youtube group, we're meant to applaud it because we recognize Star Wars, not because we actually like or think about what we see on-screen.

>I don't follow nu-canon.
Some of its ok, some isn't, just like the old stuff and part of that old shit is Palps clones which kind of sucked

>Palps clones which kind of sucked

I would've enjoyed it more had the ending(s) been any better, and hot damn were they a letdown. I may not like NuCanon much, but I'll never claim the EU didn't have its own shit pieces.

So you're mad the Force works the way it was meant to in all of the films?

I disagree. What made him compelling was precisely because he pulled off the cartoonish evil so well. He's a breath of fresh air in a sea of overdone good-motivations villains. He doesn't need to have a practical reason because he already has everything he could possibly want. He has unlimited power and his Empire. He's finished his story mode and entered the post-game fuck-around sandbox. He was larger than life and his dickery was entertaining precisely because he was the kind of motherfucker who could get away with it. Take, for another example, Bevel Lemelisk. The death-resurrection cycle wasn't great because of any practical outcomes, but because Palps killing and reviving a guy over and over is fucking hilarious. And if McDiarmid's Palps is any indication, Palps himself would have found it fucking hilarious, too.

We never see anything like that in the films. All we know about the force is told to us by either Jedi or Sith, and the theme of the prequels is that both sides are biased and wrong in how they view it. It's why Anakin is as miserable with the Dark side as he is the Light.

I mean, that's fair enough. Star Wars is nothing if not made by the fans and has dozens of different interpretations for hundreds of different subjects. I think it's important to remember in these debates, especially on teegee, that just because we disagree on a subject or view something differently, we're all fans of the same thing. We're here because we fucking love Star Wars, no matter how we view its themes and characters and events and anything else.

You know, all things that Brother George had in mind for Star Wars as a whole considered, really every instance of 'balance' should have really been "Harmony", which was what was meant, and we would have been saved approximately a million posts worth of /new/fag empireposting

>and the theme of the prequels is that both sides are biased and wrong in how they view it
This is a fine interpretation but it was hardly author intent.

>Killing all the Sith so the only one alive is a Jedi is what brings "balance" to the Force

Death of the Author.

Not that I agree with him, but authorial intent doesn't necessarily make any one interpretation more valid than the other. Especially since George had no fucking idea what he was doing.

The Sith theocracy thing came after he was brought back from the dead. I'm pretty sure he only considered implementing that after going 'well non-Force User Empire failed to keep me alive so fuck it time to get some Force Users'. If he didn't die, he wouldn't consider it. Sheev wanted LESS Force users, not more.

For sure, but that was because the Empire couldn't manage to be everywhere at once. With the remaining Rebel cells defeated (now centralized under the Rebellion's banner), it's easy for Sheev and the Empire to start picking out potential rivals, which are the pirates and Hutts. Vader especially would love to finally get to BTFO the Hutts.

Per Luceno's Tarkin, explore all the dark secrets of the Force to seek omnipotence.

Amen.

the empire itself doesn't have much to do with the Force.

I mean the Jedi are wrong in a practical sense but they are obviously more upright than the other guy, both of them being in the wrong doesn't mean they are both equally in the wrong. Sheev is obviously far more reprehensible in every way.

Empirefags and Grey Jedifags are two very different types of people.

George also changed his mind on that shit so many fucking times, he's probably the last person you should be expecting consistency from.

>His motivations are much more simplistic and not nearly as fleshed-out.
Well let's be real here. New canon has had what, like five years? to flesh anything out at all. Old canon had multiple decades of material, some of it contradictory, and much of it inconsistent.

If you isolate the films themselves, the OT doesn't flesh Palpatine out at all outside of the evil space wizard trope. The PT gives us more insight into his schemes and methods, but still nothing about his end goals other than to build death stars and blow up rebels and shoot lightning at people.

Which is to say the bulk of his "old" characterization comes from decades of legends material, and if you're going to compare the good shit from that to new canon you can't leave out the dumb shit like dozens of ineffective superweapons and three-eyed bastard children

>New canon has had what, like five years?
Plus fondations from the old EU.
You can do masteful characterizations in a single short story if that's your goal.
Heck, in the seven missionaries comic, Ayroles manages to introduce 9 main characters and their basic motivations/personalities in something like 5 pages, while making the story advance.
It doesn't take lenghty chronicles to create a character.

Interestingly enough, in some translations (notably French IIRC) they DO use harmony instead of balance.

>french
Depends of the context. balance doesn't translate perfectly into french (the closest thing would be équilibre), so sometime they use harmony (harmonie) instead.
Also SW translation are always good. One example being Edge using the official translation for the rpgs, and then being told by FFG (using google translate) to change some names, resulting in some... very special names.

>SW translation are always good

I dunno. Several of the translations for the title for TLJ are plural (I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, I think Japanese is one) yet Rian Johnson has said that the title is singular.

This is the problem of using a noun that uses the same spelling for both the singular and plural.

Managed to forgot a "not" here. SW translation are not always good, one example being FFG meddling with machine translation to ensure that copyright is respected.

Nonetheless, dubbing is a huge thing in France, so it can result in some funny things (like renaming the Millenium Falcon and C3P0 into Millenium Condor and Z6PO to have proper lipsync). Most haven't stood the trial of time, Dark Vador being an exception.

youtube.com/watch?list=PLRFGEGUhsfgLIHZcCUP89sUYBFSZH1-ty&v=dqPZ-GeWFeU

Here's mine, Saga Edition on roll20. Episode one's audio sucks so the link goes to episode 2

Would it have been better if the new A-Wing had a more original look?

Something like pic related?

Yes.

When using Linked, if I activate it do I have to roll again or does it automatically hit?

it's automatic.
>shoot triple barrel holdout blaster with Success, Success, Advantage, Advantage, Advantage, Advantage, Advantage, Advantage.
>deal 5+2 damage (due to successes)
>spend 4 advantages to activate linked 2 & 3.
>deal 5+2 two additional times
>total 21 damage
>spend last two advantages helping teammate for his turn since you can't go past the linked rating.

Did the jedi order ever deploy jedi strike teams?

Small squads of Jedi sent out to fulfill a specific goal? All the time. Technically Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka would qualify as that.

The current comic about Mace Windu is that. Mace Windu's team he took to arrest Palpatine is that.

You can total linked damage like that? Wouldn't all three hits be separately affected by soak?

Does Autofire work like this too?

Stated the TIE Defender Elite out. Dunno how useful all that linked is, but it's what it is.

I separated the missile bays because I think two at a time is fine for each wing. I guess you could make it linked 5 as well.

You're right, but it's not fair to compare one version of a character that is, essentially, an amalgamation of 30+ years of writing by several different authors, to a different version of the same character that's had way less time to flourish. Especially when the complaint is that the new version is too simplistic, because that's selectively forgetting all the simplistic versions of Palpatine that the EU churned out. EU Sheev's characterization can be reinforced by all the good material while simultaneously discarding the bad to come up with what we consider to be "classic Sheev"

Yes, those are three separate hits, each one affected by soak.
Autofire works the same way, exept you can keep going as long as you have advantage, and can hit multiple targets.

Since we're talking about blasters, is there a way to represent charged attacks in FFG's rpg? Like the Bryar blast for Dark Forces/Jedi Knight.

>One down, 432 to go.

Still looking for more Rebel pilot ideas from the last thread.

So my group wants me to gm something in old republic and I don't know a single damned thing about the era and looking at it, it seems like the lore is a slog to read about with all the legends material

Can anybody give me a core breakdown of the era with must-know shit or at least a couple wiki pages on things I need to know

what kind of game do they want exactly? Because the old republic spans hundreds of centuries and millions of worlds, so...

Generally the Old Republic isn't too terribly different in terms of tech than the Republic of the prequels is - the difference is more in aesthetics than anything.

That, and the fact that the Sith are a huge empire (with a not-Egyptian design scheme), and not just two dudes hiding away and scheming.

I rewatched the episode it was in and I was wrong, they shoot off four missiles at once. Also it's really fast as fuck. I edited the stats to match what you see better.

I'll know more next week once it faces off with X-wings.

A rebel from Agamar joined up and lied to his family saying he was going onna long vacation. Occasionally pleads for help doctoring photos that make it look like he’s vacationing still, including mocking up the MC80’s interior to make it look like its still a cruise ship.

>it seems like the lore is a slog to read about with all the legends material
When it comes to OR-era stuff, I find it easier to just pick one of the big time gaps and make stuff up. Given the length of the time period, you'll find plenty of empty space between Legends works, some of which have enough room for multiple galactic wars, empires, and dark ages, etc.

Correct to both.

What is it with the red stripes? 181st doesn't exist as far as we know, yet.

>le red ones go faster XD

Just a call sign for elite pilots I guess. Yellow stripes also exist now.

>Yellow stripes also exist now.
When's Wedge getting a mobius strip emblem?

>Rich kid accidentally tells his parents the ship is making a stopover at a beach resort
>Whole squad goes to the nearest ocean world to stage a photoshoot to cover his ass
>Homoerotic beach volleyball montage ensues

>is there a way to represent charged attacks in FFG's rpg
The slow firing quality is probably whaty you want

Probably a designation for prototype, since the craft in that episode represented the first of the new generation.

There are a couple weapons which have "charging" effects, such as if you basically give yourself the Prepare quality you get higher base damage or something, but then have Slow-Fire or run out of ammo or whatever.

I want to run a oneshot FFG game so my friends can try out the system. I want to run something they aren't expecting so I'm going to make it a cross over one shot and would like to hear some ideas.
The ones I have so far are:
Group of jedi search for their master after losing contact with him and his expedition. He was sent to investigate what may have been a forgotten jedi temple but is actually an ancient Predator hunting ground.

Squad of rebels on a desert world are searching an ancient ruin for old Republic era technology, find out the ruins are actually a tomb of a long dead alien ruler. Cue traps and Egyptian themed enemies with inspiration from The Mummy.

Are these shit?

>blue squadron
>more red paint than blue

I wouldn't include force users in a first-time scenario, it adds layers of complexity. Same with vehicles.

The second one is good IMO.
You can also use the scenarios provided in the book.

I'm not too familiar with in depth star wars lore. How much magic bullshit can I hand wave with the force?

Pretty much all "magic bullshit" until you go far back enough, like to the Ewoks movies, is actually the Force.

Your squadron identifiers don't get to interfere with your national/factional identifiers man.

DIRE - Hog (Y-Wing) pilot that forgot to arm his torps before firing during a exercise. A short version of "Dumb Fire"

Bellyrub - X-Wing pilot that had to land without skids, thus scraping up the belly of the X-Wing.

JASTA - "Just Another STow Away". Someone who boarded the wrong shuttle when relocating.

>superhuman feats: alien biology or sci-fi science
>knowledge, coincidences and improbabilities: the Force

Crackpot - Some poor schmuck with the last name Sienar. Not related to the original crackpot but it stuck.

Jawa - Short A-Wing pilot with fondness of hoodie sweaters. Someone joked that it made him look like a Jawa and it stuck

Jedi - Not a force user in any way but has a unnatural luck when rolling chance cubes. Rumored to have jedi powers just to cheat at games.

Snoke is Sienar.

So wolves can hyperspace now. Or do some sort of weird telportation shenanigans.

FOOOOOOOOORCE

Source?

Just had a thought: Could FFG be testing the waters with the bullseye arc to eventually stick it on the T-65? Really, you don't need the bullseye lines on the base, since you can just use the guide nubs and it might be just what the thing needs to get back in the meta. I want to hear /swg/'s thoughts on this.

>Warscribe: Once an embedded reporter during the clone wars, he discovered that he actually fucking loves war, and became a mercenary, before eventually joining the rebellion. Has a habit of asking lots of questions, and of course writing everything down
>Whiskey Tango: always drinking, can't dance for shit but keeps trying
>Captain Agamar: not actually a captain or from agamar, but his wife looks a LOT like him, and everyone thinks they are actually brother and sister
>

Are there homebrew stats for the recently introduced (mostly in Rebels) smaller-than-Star-Destroyer Imperial ships in the FFG RPG? My players are about to make waves in a small pond, small enough that full blown Star Destroyers aren't readily present, but waves enough that whatever is in the system miiiiight just show up.

Newest episodes of rebels. Trippy sequence where the wolves lead the rebels into a cave and start walking, causing a hyperspace effect to appear. We then see them walking through stars, followed up with them leaving a cave in a different hemisphere of the planet.

They've got stats for Raiders, vindicators, vigil, and the gladiator for various star destroyer shaped capital ships and then there's the Nebulon-B frigate too.

I think there's stats for cossack class cruisers and I know there's stats for Lancers if you want to kill snubfighters

Nebulon-Bs are the ticket here. This lower scale is exactly the job they were designed for, and people always forget they're actually an Imperial design.

And have you read their statblock? They're very potent adversaries.

>Medium Turbolasers (Fire Arc Forward,
Aft, and Port or Forward, Aft and Starboard; Damage10; Critical 3; Range [Long]; Breach 3, Slow-Firing 1),
>Three Port, Three Starboard, Three Forward, and Three Aft Turret Mounted Retractable Light Laser Cannons (Fire Arc Port or Starboard or Forward or Aft; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range Close]),
>Three Forward Mounted Heavy Tractor Beam Emitters (Fire Arc Forward; Damage -; Critical -; Range [Medium]; Tractor 6).
>24 embarked starfighters

My players have repeatedly tangled with a raider class and since it's almost as fast as a fighter and mounts a lil bit of capital weaponry they're slightly terrified of running into it again.

If you're running around in snubfighters it's hard to deal with a neb-B unless you've got a squadron behind you I think.

>People always forget they're actually an Imperial design

That seems kind of understandable. It doesn't mesh well with the Empire's "big menacing triangle" aesthetic.

Lothal is a crazy place, and we know that jedi temple there had shit like pople walking through solid walls.

/swg/, i need advice.

I'm at work for the asian shift this week, so I'm using my spare time to repaint stuff.

What's a good scheme/design for a Lancer that has a cross factored in to the top of a ship(mobile arc)? I also don't have an airbrush on hand.

What about a design for a Lambda? Decimator?

I'll be finishing up my First Order Phantom and Royal Guard Strikers today, but I've got a lot of time to kill.

I had a friend paint up my decimator to have one side scratched to hell after Oicunn came back from too many collisions and the engineers went "fuck it"

Athletic tomboy christmas cake twi-lek.

>what is Myrkr