EDH/COMMANDER General

Very Important Edition

Previously: → →

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.

magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What is your most competitive budget build? What are some hidden budget gems?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahiji-total-war/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>building mono black
>forgot to get necropotence and cabal coffers

My group is pretty casual, so I usually don't put necropotence in my deck. At best phyrexian arena. Necropotence is so insane, I have no idea how that card is not banned. It's literally infinite gas. It's almost impossible to beat once it resolves if the game goes beyond a couple turns.

>Sylvan Primordial and prophet of kruphix out, necropotence, mana crypt, and sol ring in. Thanks Sheldon

>Thread question
I've only spent about $30 on my Hapatra deck, I packed the rest. Does that count?

If not then it's probably my Sisay deck (bought before she was expensive), which isn't particularly good

Do I build Toshiro Umezawa or 5c Spirits?

Most competitive budget is probably my UG Ezuri Counters/Mild infect list.

I've been wanting to build Hapatra, but I have a "no two commanders in the same color combination" rule. Picking up duplicates when you don't have to sucks. But she seems interesting. Is it good? Do you have a list for it?

>>Thread question
I ran Edric for exactly 1 night and $30 and promptly took it apart after. It was boring as fuck.

If you don't mind keeping track of -1/-1 counters, yeah she's fun. Expect to have gruul players poop on you tho.

Finally played the Feldon deck I've been working on. Got out Extraplanar Lens early, then just recurred Bosh and Scuttling Doom Engine until I won. It was pretty fucking great.

This guy looks fun as hell. Can he be built effectively on a budget?

He's a one-trick pony. You will win one game and afterwards everyone else knows that you can win the game with one swing while he is on the battlefield, so they will remove him every time he is played.

>Expect to have gruul players poop on you tho.

Why Gruul specifically? If it's +1/+1 counters, I'd expect Selesnya to be more of an issue.

Best self mill commanders?

Sidisi or Tasigur.

Post 'em if ya got 'em, boys

R8, H8, Appreci8.
I also need to add Neheb, the Eternal to the list of decks I want to build.

I think the only issue I run into running so many decks is that I tend to focus on newer builds and don't give the oldies the love they deserve. May just start running them in a cycle.

Was gonna buy a Shirei deck myself a while ago, but figured it'd get real stale to me real fast.

If you're still looking for a Candidate as far as Azorius control goes, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is probably the way to go.
Somehow had never managed to know of Thromok until now. Sounds like a fun commander.

It's the same problem as Yidris. No one will ever let you connect unless you open the straight nut. One connect=game. It'll get to the point that once you successfully attack people will scoop. Unfortunately a one trick pony. Better in Rakdos Lord of Riots as one of the 99.

>Azorius Control

Can't go past Grand Arbiter. Go full stax and free yourself from the burden of friendship.

How do you use Behold the Beyond in Nin? Isn't it not in her colors?

Anyone here run Norin? Is he fun?

In your professional opinion Veeky Forums, for EDH, what is:

>Strongest mono-color
>Strongest dual-color
>Strongest tri-color

>Strongest mono-color
White
>Strongest dual-color
White-Red
>Strongest tri-color
White-Red-Blue

Well meme'd
Enjoy the (You)

Mono Color: Black
Dual Color: Green-Black
Tri-Color- Sultai

>blue
>black-green
>blue-green-black

Refusing to play with land destruction ends up buffing green and nerfing white/red. The same people then complain about blue-green degeneracy.

post combos, boys.

Aren't sliver banned? I remember when they first came out and made me quit the game for theit bullshit stackable effects

KIll all Augustus players

I'd rather play in a meta where UGx players do too much than a meta where RWx players don't let anyone do anything, and I don't even have a deck with UG in it.

You know what's better than one doom blade? Two

xth for EDH cube is best EDH

Bruna, Fading Light

I've got nearly a dozen, but here's my top 4, currently.

Sram commander?

I don't normally play or condone combo, but I'll pull it out if someone else is about to. Pic related or magistrate's scepter + multiple proliferation sources in Atraxa.

Nice. Pic related is my combo.

Woops

That's funny cause it's my fav deck and I just got these for it.

How much for the Cradle?

>Competitive EDH
>Budget

>Needing to connect

Why is there 3 edh threads?

Not at all. They're just the epitome of tribal. They're very predictable and people know exactly what they're getting into when someone sits down with the deck.

I mean, there are budget options for semi-competitive decks.

Not with the amount of board wipers in the format and the hate it generates from other players.

It's MP. Got it online. $270 Canadian. It's honestly very close to HP.

Just playtested my new Wort Raidmother deck, had 4 tokens from hornet queen and a parallel lives. Cast howl of the horde and got the raid boost. Cast Second Harvest with 2 cloned and one conspire. 1st drops 8, 2nd drops 24, third drops 72, final drops 216 for a total of 324 1-1 flying deathtouch hornets. Used a heroic intervention to dodge a boardwipe and swung for game.

Just line down up all the most expensive cards from my Edric. Spent way too much on one fucking deck. At least I only buy the MP or HP cards.

What are HP and MP?

>blind drop sphinx ambassador
What do you name?

Heavily played and moderately played.

Ah okay. The cards look fine on the picture though.

Why would someone swing with Neheb when they just have to jam "X" damage to everyone spells then cast huge fireballs?

Just got booted from a random EDH lobby on Cockatrice that was titled "Casual" for casting Ruination, which would have blown up 4 lands, 1 of which mine.

So that's where we're at I guess.

Nah. Look at the edges or the mana drain and cradle. Has white spots. They are chipped for sure.

Can't destroy lands, hurts too many feelings.

Izzet deck is currently Locust God Windmills, but my buddy showed up with her Nekusar deck and curbstomped me. I might break it and build something else

It's a psychological thing. People just hate land destruction and when they are forced to discard. You can kill all their creatures or destroy all their enchantments and they just accept it. But remove some of their lands and you get dirty looks. It's not really logical, but I get it. EDH is a format about fun, so I removed the little land destruction I had from all of my decks and everything is fine now.

I'm gonna guess you designed your image yourself, instead of a program / app where one can plug in images and text to automatically generate a like image?

People don't like land-destruction because they would actually like to play the game without requiring every deck to have 50/50 of artifact ramp and lands.

I have a stack of cards that is all land hate, it's called the "you were warned asshole" stack as I only use it in response to someone using dickish combos. I also keep punishment cards for when someone overextends in decks, like Overwhelming Splendor. I refer to THOSE as "counter target fun".

Land destruction only annoys me when one player in particular targeted-- which most frequently happens when said player behind anyway. One guy being able to produce 3 mana when everyone else can produce 12+ is beyond vexing. But if we all go back to 0, or step back in equal increments, I don't see any harm.

You don't actually need the claws. Nexus says if a player would BEGIN an extra turn, it gets skipped. Meaning if you make a second one and legend rule out one of them, it'll be gone instantly, and you can begin the extra turn normally.

Yeah, I made it in Adobe Illustrator (shh the lines are crooked, don't tell anyone)

I might be open to make some for people in this thread. I got no plans today, I'd just need your commanders, text like mine, and your favorite card for each deck.

And a cartoon of yourself for the top corner if you want

Built UW Taigam after having success with it online. Deck is super fun, and can play real under the radar until you Rise from the Tides for 22 followed by Storm Herd and Clone Legion. Played it at my LGS for FNM, took my first damage on turn 10, and they complained that my deck was too good. Politics saves lives kids.

>Legend rule 1 of them
>Other one still has replacement effect
Uh huh.

How has it been four years and I still can't fucking remember how it works

No. You cannot have 2 Ugins nexus on the field at the same time and get both effects. The second's copy would force you to skip the extra turn. Period. If there is no Ugin's Nexus on the field, and you create a second one, you get the extra turn, just make sure you create the second one during the extra turn where the replacement effect can't skip it.

I just coerced my roommate into Magic via edh and he bought the Arcane Wizardry premade, I heard it was the easiest to upgrade but im finding it hard. The deck sucks, whats a good wincon for Wizards? The best tech is $12+ and not even that spicy.

Trash tier gamer desu senpai.
Inalla is lit.
Not the best for beginners I would say, maybe Marsil jank would be more fun for him?

What I enjoy the most are games that go up and down with a lost twists and turns. What are some good generals/strategies for such decks. that don't just involve wrathing the board too often, as that might make my friends (extreme casuals) feel like nothing is ever happening.

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.

Not because I need it. Because my friend who plays Ur Dragon fucking loves it.

I do this every time with my Unesh deck, sometimes grabbing Nicol God Emperor or my other friends Snapcaster/Archaeomancer

The Wizards (even with a bunch of initial upgrades) just get steam rolled every time we play in a group, and Ive played it myself a few times now, you get stuck with a lot of expensive crap and little board worth. You delay the game without having much to win with

I think this one looks entertaining:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahiji-total-war/

>MonoR, MonoW, and Boros
You sir are NOT a weenie.

Saw that original post user!
I think that green stompy stuff can be fun, (specially Genesis wave dumping rng value)
The deck is split in 3, one bit for kess (spells) one for activated abilities (Marsil) then inalla, that's why it feels weak, focus on cutting two and strengthening one. For inalla, panharmonicon and etbs.

Sounds might magnanimous of you, if you're being serious. If so would you consider taking a crack at mine: ? Featured cards would be Mishra's Bauble for Hope, Mesmeric Orb for Bruna, I'm torn between Keening Stone or Lantern of Insight for Erebos, and Thopter Foundry for Ertai. I don't know if you want a little toon dood which fits a template like yours, or just a doodle in general, so I hope my pic suffices. Please just ignore it if it doesn't

Mairsil sounds awful for a beginner

It's a crash course that's fun. Basic ass combos all based around one guy. Legit just write some example combos and if your friend should be good.

What are the other commanders your group runs?

It's more like being thrown into the deep end of a pool while your instructor shouts "no problem, have this deflated rubber boat"

>retiring Isamaru
>retiring Isamaru AND Nin
Top pleb

Build a red goodstuff deck, don't try to make him go full burn or he'll be removed every single game as soon as he hits the field. Run him as a way to close the game if you're ahead, but don't require him to get there.

>Mono: U
>Dual: UG
>Tri: BUG

you picked a bad precon for what you are asking
the 2016 decks are significantly better for this, the decks are pretty close to 75% right out of the box, shit I kept my gaydudes deck completely unchanged for over a year and it still regularly won.

Explaining how the deck works, and how the basic functions work is a deflated dinghy huh? 2$ says you are a burger

Didn't take long for you to resort to tribalism

Better in Xenagos, God of Revels

Look anons, I'm going to level with you. Grixis is very VERY difficult to build if you don't know what you're doing. In general Grixis is strong because it combines blue's fuckery, with a splash of black sadism and red's reckless abandon. It is literally the colour combo for edgelords with too much money. The manabase is tough to get, mana fixing is hard to find, and while you have oodles of card draw, you really need to understand what your wincons are, and how to enable them.

All that aside, if you want your Precon to be used well, there are a couple of options for a new player. First, lets look at commanders:

>Nin
Pretty straightforward. Ramp hard, ramp harder, hit something with Nin's ability, and draw a bunch of cards. You can ping something like Stuffy Doll to cause all sorts of bedlam, and it's honestly pretty fun.

>Azami Wizard Stuff
This deck is also pretty simple, and generally hated. You grab every monoblue Wizard, throw them into a deck, tap them to draw cards. In theory you play things that fuck over people's hands, and use Azami to make the lock asymmetrical, or your ramp, shit out a billion mana, draw a bunch of cards, then combo off in some elaborate way.

>Marchesa
This one is fun, but the manabase is expensive. The idea is to use things that send creatures to your yard, recur them with your commander, and abuse the shit out of some +1/+1 shenanigans. The idea is to take a bunch of strong creatures with good ETBs, and kill them over and over again.

Now, if you want something completely different that can use parts of your deck, I suggest Maelstrom Wanderer. It's always the deck I suggest to new players because it can be built in any way, it hits really hard, and it's pretty straightforward. You grab a bunch of green basic land ramp, hit 8 lands, cast Maelstrom and combo off into value. You can use all the U and R stuff into it, grab a selection of jank rares, and actually win games without spending $200.

Respecting the effort in this post

ur formatting sucks

Just post the cards fgt

Here you go my guy, I didn't know Ertai had double forearms. What a weird guy

>It is literally the colour combo for edgelords with too much money
I love Grixis, but user here knows what's up. I totally want to build a Nicol Bolas consortium deck one of these days with Tezz, the amonkhet gods, and grixis goodstuff

I think the double forearms thing only came about post-Phyrexian corruption.

Volrath glued them on him for shit and giggles, it's not his fault man.

I always thought it was an Ulamog signature for it's corruption. But then again, I'm new to the story.

Volrath looks like a slimy dude

>Blue
>Blue-green
>UGx

Thanks user, I appreciate it. I always get a little wistful thinking back to the bullshit I went through when I first started, and I honestly like to help.

I've been shitbrewing a Lord of Tresserhorn grixis reanimator deck for a while now, but I just can't quite figure it out. In my heart, I just want to play Sire of Insanity way too early, but my head knows that I should just empty everyone's hands, cast Tresserhorn, give him doublestrike, and laugh my way to the bank.

here, it looks fantastic! Much appreciated

Eldrazi are a nearly two decades after the Weatherlight saga. Volrath had a lot of penis envy towards Gerrard, so he fucked up his wizard as soon as he caught him. Then said fucked up wizard battled a vampire to become the new king, and then he got killed by an imortal goblin.