/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Night activity during downtime edition

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Do you just play poker or uno IRL when gambling?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do you just play poker or uno IRL when gambling?
No, i let my characters abilities determine success in their ventures. Do you lift refrigerators?

Dice Poker, with chances to reroll if the PCs pass some skill checks or use spells in interesting ways.

I'm really disappointed this wasn't the catgirl.pdf

Only small empty one. For gambling, we bet high-low or odd-even

Sounds interesting.
What are your homebrew rules for this?

What should I do while I lock enemy with Hypnotic Gaze as Enchanter Wizard?

Bonus Action to Flaming Sphere, Minute's Meteor? Lock more enemy with Hypnotic Pattern? What else can I do?

Is it better to randomly roll for magic items?

Or should a DM allow for PCs to request specific items and eventually give them what they want if they earn it?

If you still play using alignments, you are a fucking retard.
Here's the thing: no writer ever sat down and thought, "hmmm I wonder if my protagonist should be lawful neutral, or chaotic good." None. Zero. Nada.
Why?
Because alignment is a shitty character descriptor. It's shallow and meaningless and is not a realistic representation of human motivations.
Now, before you fucking autistics start braying about "realism" (I know that that's a trigger word for D&D fanboys), let me explain: all games should have realistic characters. Why? Because realistic characters are engaging. They remind us of the real world, without being as boring. If you describe your character as Lawful Neutral, you have told me nothing. Except one thing: you do not know how to roleplay. Period. End of story. Alignment is not a character. It contributes nothing to a character. Using it as a primary character descriptor is so fucking wrong it's hilarious, and given most D&D players' idea of "roleplaying", which is a few quirks and a sidequest / backstory motivation at best (usually full of edgy shit), I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise. This pedestrian bullshit is part of why D&D is a containment RPG. Because when you get D&D players into other systems, they start using these gay-ass alignments and trying to fit things to them. No, you fucking moron, alignment isn't real. You can break real laws, subscribe to your own strict moral code, be good hearted but capable of doing evil things, or just plain be a normal goddamn person motivated by what's important to them, instead of some lofty ideals. No one gives a shit about alignment. It means nothing. It is the worst descriptor for a character ever. Personally, I make all of my characters neutral, and anyone who argues about alignment, gets attacked first by the next monster when I DM.

Oh i'm sure writers have done that. Just shitty ones.

Totally agree that alignments are shit, anyone with any sort of complexity cannot be graphed like some sort of formula. For newbies and assholes, alignment is an excuse to be an asshole or murderhobo.

gr8 b8 m8

I r8 8/8 no 8

Thanks for posting, nobody else has ever had a problem with alignments before

Very good thing to post

Thanks for that

Not arguing with any of your points. I always leave the "alignment" portion of my character sheet blank if my DM will allow me to get away with it.

That said, I've discovered that alignment is like a security blanket for A LOT of players, still. I have no idea why - maybe I'm autistic - but alignment seems to be part of the whole "D&D Experience" some people aren't willing to give up.

Also, this might or might not be related:
In my own limited experience, both as DM and player, the players most attached to alignment and filling one in on their character sheet, even if you specifically tell them you're not using it in your campaign, have invariably been the players who want to play evil characters - in my own anecdotal experiences.

>In my own limited experience, both as DM and player, the players most attached to alignment and filling one in on their character sheet, even if you specifically tell them you're not using it in your campaign, have invariably been the players who want to play evil characters - in my own anecdotal experiences.
Often true. My friend's gf plays a character who is neutral evil, yet has never really done anything evil and opened an orphanage. She prevented other players from playing Paladins due to her insistence of playing an evil alignment even though she really isn't evil (and I told the guy she really isn't and if he wants to play a paladin he can).

Okay.

Not an argument.

>For newbies and assholes, alignment is an excuse to be an asshole or murderhobo.
True.
Alignment is a nice little descriptor but for most D&D players (whose idea of "roleplaying" is getting a nat20 on diplomacy checks to seduce the king) it becomes a retarded mechanic.

I playing a lawful good character and would leave (you) to your opinion.

what are the best cantrips for land druid out of elemental evil and phb?

Anyone else holding off from starting a new campaign/adventure/character until XGE becomes more widespread?

Some friends and I are going to be starting CoS but we decided to hold off to see if there are any sales between now and boxing day before building new characters.

How many +1 Longswords do you think you will get from the DMG before you get the polearm/battle axe/shorts sword?

Frostbite is pretty good from EE, Produce Flame is solid, and Shillelagh is of course the most awesome for wading into melee. Guidance is great, throw it on your buddies before they do literally anything if you get the chance.

A shitload.

But I feel I need to ask anyway because I know there are players who cream their shorts over as much randomness and dependency on RNG as possible. I just don't know how many actually favor that, versus a more predictable outcome. Such as in doling out the magical items.

I think a DM should consciously choose what loot is where.

Will the Celestial make the Warlock good?

The real world isn't engaging you fool, that's why people play escapist games like D&D.

No. Warlock problem still remain. Celestial didnt do anything to address that problem.

I agree they're dumb, but I think the main reason is that it's deciding what you're going to do in various situations before you do them. I think it's more sensible to figure out who your character is from the choices they make in the course of play than trying to decide ahead of time what groove they're going to fit into.

>The real world isn't engaging
Holy shit. No wonder the world is the way it is.

>that's why people play escapist games like D&D.
I thought it was so we could be something we are not?

Alignment seems a pretty shallow and literally two-dimensional thing to insist on using, when our real life personalities and even most fiction we enjoy doesn't box themselves in to nine distinct categories like that.

Nope. Starting on the 16th. I'll let my players recast if there is something better for their character/backstory. Mostly going to use it for dmg 2.

The what now?

What's the Warlock problem?

The Celestial patron, it's going to be an option in Xanathar's.

>I thought it was so we could be something we are not?
That's escapism you're describing ya goon

Actually it is worst now because you party members will hold grudge if you didnt use your 2 spell slot and limited spell known resource to always cure them.

Oh awesome! Is there a preview anywhere I can read up on this?

But he insisted that alignment has something to do with escapism.

Warlock problem? I'm assuming you mean the nonstop spam of Eldritch blast for combat.

>>that's why people play escapist games like D&D.
>I thought it was so we could be something we are not?
Pretending I have friends

I don't consider that a problem, personally. Some people want to play a class that's easy to play.

I personally enjoy a class I can play while drinking alcohol. I played a Warlock in my last campaign and I honestly didn't mind just Eldritch Blasting literally every single round, and the only decision I ever really had to make was where exactly I would be standing when I did it.

Limited spell slot. 2 per short rest is translate to 4 total slot per day in most party.

Limited spell known (Sorcerer also share this problem). So you cant do all the cool themathic stuff while still being effective to your role.

Limited Invocation is illusion of choice. You have to take Agonizing Blast or you are gimping your party.

It was in the June Unearthed Arcana I think. Also it was calling the Undying Light patron before.

I'm just hoping the Kiss of Mephistopheles invocation makes it in, it's metal as fuck.

Champion Fighter do that better, thus Warlock isnt a good class.

Celestial didnt do anything to fix it. Thus, Warlock remain bad.

And that's a perfectly valid way to want to play. There are players who like the fluff of the Warlock, but hate how they revolve around a cantrip. Or they look for a class that just isn't there, and get hung up on what the Warlock cannot do.

How come half dragon is a non human looking hybrid?

Well that's why they have a lay in hands feature, only you actually roll the dice instead of just heal.

If your party isn't dumb they will treat it like LoH also, because they know you've got to spend your slots on different things, also like the Paladin.

Is this the fireball one? Pretty sure it's confirmed, I think it was metioned in one of those vids they've been doing.

Yeah, hit a target with EB, you can use a Warlock slot and a bonus action to center a fireball on it.

You mean Healing Light? Unlike LoH, where you can spend only 1hp to get people back up from 0, you have to use the whole dice. You will probably spend all of it in 1-2 battle.

>/5eg/ using op images from /wowg/
figures

Paladin 2/ Divine Soul?
Hexblade 1/ Divine Soul?
Fighter 2/ Divine Soul?

Which one is better if I want to remake Favored Soul.

>Circle of the Shepherd subclass
>No Sheep in the monster manual

This is baaad.

Would it be OP if a race had a +2 to one stat, a skill of choice, and advantage on death saving throws as their only abilities?

For your consideration, user:
docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

i doubt i'd ever use it it's so UP

Huh. I suppose it'd be worth the same as having advantage on Con saves then. Thanks!

So a worst Variant Human. Who would use it? Actually who even roll death saving throw after level 3.

>advantage on death saving throws
wwydtt?

Here a (You) (You) deserve it.

What are some FUN FEATS for a 6th level lore wizard?

Jesus Christ user

>FUN FEATS
All of them.

Now if you wanted to know which are actually EFFECTIVE feats...

Thing is, Alignment isn’t meant to be absolute. It only describes general trends in behavior. Lawful Good people can absolutely break the law, because the general trend in the behavior of a Lawful person is following a code of ethics and the general trend in a Good person is doing things selflessly.

Idiot niggerfaggots who wanna be edgy and say “i’mma be neutral because the world isn’t black and white” as well as dumbass murderhobo newbies and normies don’t understand alignment. It’d be more accurate to describe the alignment axises with “Dogmatic/Pragmatic” and “Selfless/Selfish” rather than “Lawful/Chaotic” and “Good/Evil”. Alignment isn’t meant to be your entire character’s behavior, it’s only meant to describe how they generall react to situations. Either falling back on a code of ethics that may either be personal or religious in nature, or they follow their hearts and reject any formal dogma. Either they do things selflessly out of the good of their hearts, or they do things selfishly for their own personal gain. Or maybe they fall somewhere in between, hence “neutral”.

It astounds me how many “experienced” roleplayers don’t understand what the purpose of alignment is. It’s not a perfect system for describing how our characters work, but it was never meant to be absolute. 5e including character backgrounds really helps with understanding how it’s meant to properly function as a roleplaying mechanic.

But then again it’s also not that important idk, people can be all niggardly about alignment all they please since it serves literally no mechanical purpose in 5e, only a roleplaying one. To misunderstand how to use a tool, though, is to miss out on the opportunities that tool presents you with. Alignments are a lot more flexible than people give them credit for.

You're a Lore Wizard, you can literally shit all of the rules of the game anyway. The only feats that are really going to be useful for you are ones that help you on Concentration like Warcaster or Resilience.

I meant feats that are fun for that class. I'm obviously not going to take something like Grappler or Polearm mastery.
Though what is effective? I assume that one elemental damage type one, as you can swap damage around for free.

>To misunderstand how to use a tool, though, is to miss out on the opportunities that tool presents you with
Sort of like not knowing copypasta is a simple CTRL+V?

>Actually who even roll death saving throw after level 3.
So what, your group never goes down? Sounds pretty boring to me

The usual choices, war caster or resilient (constitution) are ideal.

For sheer FUN, elemental adept (Fire) might be cool. Any non-fire spells worth casting, like say chain lightning, you can just turn into fire spells. Though turning 1's into 2's isn't exactly mind-blowing

Mage Slayer + Tavern Brawler. Be the wizard that hates wizards, bully the less smart nerds by kneeing them in the face when they try to counterspell you, and giving them noogies to fuck their concentration up.

By that logic you can just turn any fire spells into any other element, if an enemy resists fire damage. Might as well do that and save the feat.

But seriously, who the fuck is allowing Lore Wizard in their game anyway?

Xanathars pdf when?

>something like Grappler or Polearm mastery.
I was unironically going to suggest those as exactly "fun". Guess you have a weird idea of what you like and standing over the battlefield with an anime sized glaive but never using it except as a grappling aid isn't yours.

Might as well take one of the FUN feats since you're already a fucking lore wizard and will be completely unmatched

what is an appropriate player race that looks maybe elfish but is huge?

I have this model that looks like some kind of caster but she's a big girl, maybe 35mm tall, but if the model had an upright post possibly 45mm. What player race has 10-11 ft tall people?

>Thing is, Alignment isn’t meant to be absolute.
>Alignments are a lot more flexible than people give them credit for.

For the sake of argument, I'm not going to disagree with anything you said.

I just want to point out that even though alignment could be a GUIDELINE, it's been used throughout the years as a STRAIT-JACKET by both players and DMs alike. That's just the norm of how alignment is 'roleplayed', and any deviation from whichever category from the nine you choose draws people's ire.

This is why I'm so happy that alignment finally got completely separated from rule mechanics, therefor most DMs I know are cool with players not bothering to fill in the alignment spot on their characters sheets if they so choose.

You must first venture to the beholder's lair and take it from the moster.

>One day - thousands of years ago - the sun simply stopped in the sky, the world as you know it has been eternally plunged in the slight glow of an eternal twilight. Races have long since adapted to this, And everything can see in dim light for 60 feet as if it was bright light. The only way to tell time of year is by the gods (who appear as stars in the sky during certain seasons) and the movement of the moon

Outside of sunlight sensitivity races, what would a lack of "day" and "night" have effect on balance

Eyeball Planet. One side is hot, one side is cold, everyone lives in the habitable zone encircling the middle.

Darkvision is now king, as everyone needs it to see.

It's been thousands upon thousands of years, when you're out in the fields or whatever you can see fine. Darkvision only comes into effect in caves, unlit buildings, etc

Small and Big Blinds with silver pieces, gold if the players are rich.
Roll 5d6 under a cup and then you bet.

If you want, once per hand, you can try to use skills (deception, slight of hand, insight, whatever) to gain an advantage; Beat DC 15 and you can reroll one of your die. DC 25 for two. Invisible mage hand, or minor illusion uses sleight of hand or deception, to hide the casting. Charming can be allowed, but the magic must be hidden, and it forces one opponent to reroll a die at random.

Poker hands are made using your dice and the shared dice in the middle: 5 sixes beat 5 fives, which beat 4 fours, etc. A Straight is the best 'hand'.

Usually the gambling happens in cities, and anyone with Dice Proficiency gets a free reroll every hand. Had a couple players play it during a stakeout with some guardsmen in Waterdeep. Pretty fun.

Sometimes we play liars dice instead, or a quick 'high card' game for card game proficiency. I haven't figured out a way to play a quick round of chess or checkers for that 'game' proficiency.

Go down and immediatly get pick up by healing word, loh, potion, healer kit etc.

I agree that alignment being attached to mechanics is fucking dumb and may have stained it forever. I think, however, that we should do our best to scrub it clean. Imao it’s a totally workable way to describe general character behavior and if DMs and players like us can try to use it that way more frequently, it can be an excellent addition to the character creation toolbox. I think leaving alignment blank or otherwise ignoring it or calling it (((((limiting))))) even is a real misunderstanding of not only how it used to work, but especially of how it works nowadays.

Though if people don’t want to try to deal with broad strokes in the high fantasy genre, which is “broad strokes: the genre”, that’s fine. I’m just perplexed that people want to play “realistic” campaigns in a system that doesn’t really work for realism. “Believability” is a more accurate term for what people want when they say “realism”, and I think broad strokes work fine for believability. Most Shakespeare characters are relatively simplistic (and yes, do fall into alignment archetypes) but the fact that they have defined goals and values is what makes them believable and interesting to us. DnD works fine for high-fantasy campaigns for believable, relatively simplistic high-fantasy archetypes, but struggles to provide a very satisfying experience for people who want to play “dark, morally grey, complex characters” which typically translates to “grimdark CE faggots but they’re not evil because I say so”.

tl;dr we should be trying to break the conditioning of hating alignment since it can actually work really good if you understand how it actually works especially in 5e; also go play GURPS if you want realism you fucking casual

What do you do with player that want to keep the dragon mask (white)? I don't care about the other color. White is all I want.

Remember your fallen, who has died during your lastest adventure? Any trends?
Our party has lost a Fighter, another Fighter and they think they've lost a Paladin.
The main trend is that frontlining for a bunch of ungrateful squishy fucks is a hard life. They have no respect. No respect for knights.

Anyone catch the GameHoleCon game run by Chris Perkins, it was fucking hilarious.

And they're especially not doing a very good job of keeping the front line alive, which should be something they pay attention to.

Indeed, sounds like somebody needs to be running more control and buffs.

The closest thing to a buff I ever get is bardic inspiration.
It's got to the point where the DM is sliding the odd cheeky cleric NPC in with us just so the chunky lads at the front have some help.

Anyone have a copy of the Tortle Package?

Any leaks yet?

My friend, if your DM is starting to notice how bad the party is at keeping the front line alive, I strongly suggest you point out DMG page 266, bottom of the page, under "Healing Surges".

Your fellow PCs are defective. Your frontline needs the option to provide their own healing, I'm afraid.

And if your DM balks, slap them.

trust me, the best way to handle magic items is to just use the DMG loot tables and give everything great descriptions and flavortext.
>A finely crafted +2 Chain Shirt (Medium Armor, 50gp, 20 lbs. AC 13 + Dex (max 2))
>While of distinctly gnomish craftsmanship, it is notably far too large for a gnome, and the chain links swirl with mutant colors.

The PCs will most likely get to attunement limitations and pick and choose out of their pile of magical goodies, and the combination of a constant stream of things while also never knowing what they'll find will have them hooked and go through all of your dungeon crawls.

As a player I like item with flavor more than a mundane +1 magic item.

I even keep normal silvered weapon with unique origin and design and I found throughout the while campaign.

I tell players to leave it blank for a few sessions then write whatever they think the character is closest to but keep playing them the same way as before. Just so I have a rough idea what kind of shit they might do, also for magic weapons and etc that require alignment.

See I don't really see why people like it that much, isn't it literally just waste an invocation to use one of your limited spellslots to cast a pretty decent spell that does damage which you already do?

I'd much rather take something that helps make up for my lack of spellslots, rather then encourages me to use them for one thing otherwise I wasted an invocation.

THIS. AS A PLAYER THIS IS WHAT I LIKE.

I don't need the legendary hammer of god specifically crafted for me at level fucking 7. A +1 Sword that glows around Orcs and has some cool description to it is fine, besides most people seem to default to FR and that setting has magic items fucking everywhere in most places.

Why would anybody in their right mind choose Lightning Bolt over Fireball? How often are you going to have more than three enemies lined up at once?

Storm Sorcerers, Lightning Dragon guys, Tempest Theurges, any Evoker worth their salt will have both, flavor and any DM worth their salt will make it bounce off walls for awesome.

It's the equivalent to playing a sorcerer and casting Quickened Fireball and Twinned Firebolt in one turn. It's extra damage that you can tack on top of Eldritch Blast as a bonus action. Hit a strong target with EB and then explode him for MORE damage and also an AOE that will take out his mooks/minions.

So by this logic a sword with zero mechanical effects but that glimmered pretty colours and sang Je Ne Regrette Rien when you crit failed would be better than an ungarnished +1 to you?
Me too brother

Then you must be fucking horrible when it comes to actually fighting shit and being effective at it.

>> for a 6th level lore wizard