Why are dwarves popular?

>midget height
>fat
>hairy
>drink alcohol all the time
>not really concerned with women
>hide away from the rest of the world in their mines
I can sort of see the appeal they have for neckbeards, is it just that vocal minority that keeps pushing them everywhere?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gt9He6c8F9s
youtu.be/ytWz0qVvBZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Strong convictions
>Excellent craftsman
>Rich history and traditions
>Strong ties to family
>Runes
>Underground and mountain cities
>Short without being one of the annoying tiny people (halflings, kender, gnomes, goblins, etc.)
>Know how to enjoy themselves
>Stalwart combatants

I have no idea what the draw might be

Mostly memes and self iserts, sometimes lore.

>>not really concerned with women
That's one of the reasons. Their fans feel that females are icky, so they resort to the most asexual fantasy race.

>Strong convictions
See: Elves, Humans
>Excellent craftsman
See: Elves, Gnomes
See: Elves
>Strong ties to family
See: Elves, Halflings, Orcs
>Runes
What?
The same as moles, rats and goblins
>Short without being one of the annoying tiny people
How is that even a pro?
Drinking beer and staying virgins
>Stalwart combatants
The same as stalwart combatants in other races then? Good points btw

They're the antithesis of elves and Veeky Forums hates elevs.

>Meanwhile user makes sure every female is a loli but he totally isn't a pedo because they have big breasts

>Veeky Forums hates elevs
For the nth time, it's a vocal fucking minority

This pretty much

>moles, rats and goblins
>mountain cities
You're not even trying any more, knife-ears.

Protip: helps to be smart if you want to make fun b8 threads

These are certainly fairly common racial traits, but they're common for a reason. Here you can get them in one convenient package, if it's a collection you like. If there's only certain bits you like, there are other races that do bits and pieces, as you've pointed out.

>Runes
Dwarves sometimes have unique rune-magic, based on Norse runes, which is cool.

>The same as moles, rats and goblins
But with much better facial hair, and their settlements tend to be massive and grand, as opposed to crude tunnels lined with traps.

>How is that even a pro?
Some people want to play someone who isn't human-sized, but hate the annoying tiny people. Dwarf stature is an immediate physical difference from humans without it being something super snowflaky.

>Drinking beer and staying virgins
Most settings have dwarves reproduce sexually. This would involve that enough dwarves lose their virginity to maintain the population.

>The same as stalwart combatants of other races, then?
Dwarves tend to be known for producing such combatants more frequently. They don't have a monopoly, but it's a specialty.

They're autistic recluses, but it pans outs.

Let's make this an elf genocide thread

Its the power-insert-fantasy.

>knife-ears
Is this supposed to be an insult?

I don't see how dwarves are more power-insert-fantasy than other stereotypic fantasy races. Elves are known for being inhumanly smart, stealthy and agile. Dwarves are known for being hard to knock over and good at a forge. Dwarves don't immediately strike me as power-fantasy bait.

>Elves are known for being inhumanly smart, stealthy and agile
What? Elves are extremely long lived, the rest of their strengths are an outcome of that

They're funny.

Various mainstream fantasy settings specifically feature elves as superhuman in some way. LotR is the most obvious here, where we consistently see insane matrix-level agility from elves (albeit named PC-equivalent elves). D&D/PF give elves Int and Dex bonuses (not more bonus than other races, but that particular combo is popular among mary sues). Eragon makes them insanely powerful entities that could easily kill equivalent humans with their wide array of supernatural abilities.

Note: The sources cited aren't necessarily good examples of worldbuilding, just examples of where the notion of OP elves might come from.

Don't forget kickass music.
youtube.com/watch?v=gt9He6c8F9s

Because they're awesome

The elves in Warcraft are all various flavors of OP as well. About the only thing they don't dominate in is direct melee combat and technology.

Yeah, that's always your response if someone criticises dwarves.

More like whines about why everyone likes them instead of the speshul snowflake elves

>Eragon makes them insanely powerful entities that could easily kill equivalent humans with their wide array of supernatural abilities.
Never finished the first book, but if that's the case then it's elves done right, that is, mythological/folklore elves who are too overpowered to be a core race

You answered your own question OP

Note that I never said that OP superhuman elves (as non-playable race) are a bad idea. Just trying to make the claim that dwarves aren't inherently more power-fantasy-bait than other common fantasy races.

I'm fucking tired of these threads when it's just a matter of fucking preference. I can easily see what someone might appealing about elves so I don't go about irrationally hating them. Usually, it's just that straight guys like to play as dwarves and homosexuals like elves more. Why should that lead to inane arguments?

Mythology Elves are never said to be great combatants just High elves are the most Beautiful and dark elves are great crafters

>Why should that lead to inane arguments?
Because of shit like
>and homosexuals like elves more

Mythology light elves are basically lesser gods and are stated to be powerful entities, if this means combat or magic it's unclear, sometimes they're described as rapists of human women and/or nature spirits, the most common description other than being powerful is that they're beautiful. Both light and dark(dwarves) elves have little to no information and what they do have is very differing between sources. The dark(dwarves) are stated to be magic item craftsmen, sexual predator lusting for the goddesses and even maggots festered on the flesh of Ymir

Folklore elves are just another name for fairies, so they're powerful spirits that will fuck you up if you offended them

Ignorance and stunted social skills.

Sure powerful magically but never physically.

I'm an engineer. I live in the mountains. I'm short, heavy and fit. I like to drink and I can't get shit done if there is sunlight because it is annoying and distracting.
Oh yeah, my the men in my family have been miners for over 300+ years.
So yeah, I like dwarves. Fuck off.

best comedic relief in movie/novel/campaign.

I can't speak for all of Veeky Forums but I've always been drawn to characters who are loyal and reliable friends but who don't take themselves too seriously (elves&halfelves) constantly.

they aren't crazy or cowardly (gnomes&halflings) nor are they too violent (Orcs)

Dwarfs basically race that perfect line of being able to be cast as hard warriors, big brain wizard, zealous clerics, driven barbarians, adventurous rangers or goofy bards and other than humans are the only race to be so versatile.

>TLDR: dorfs are that friend who you can count on to not only drive you to the hospital when shit goes bad - but who will take you for drinks afterward and crack jokes along the way

Very funny blog, user.

I'm not even screwing with you though. Cheers.

They're stated to be powerful, it never mentions what kind of power they have. Sure it's up to interpretation but I like to see them just like angels of christianity or the djinns of middle eastern culture

>I'm short, heavy and fit
That's oxymoronic. Typical dwarf apologist, you probably find taking a bath too distracting as well.

Elves do use magic a plenty tho

I'm into short-stacks.

You'll never leave Harlan alive

>oxymoronic
Heavy doesn't mean fat, he can probably lift a lot.

>it's a vocal fucking minority
Sure thing, Fingolfin.

Is that Divinity 2? I heard it's pretty good.

Because modern society is full of so many sad alcoholics that they can't help but project into their character with a race that matches them perfectly.

not the poster, but yeah Divinity 2 is ridiculously fun. I highly recommend it.

>Is that Divinity 2? I heard it's pretty good.

Personally I liked 1 EE better.

Because.

Dwarves are like a mirror to my autistic self but less pathetic.

>Raggar Beardbattle

What's the matter, no argument?

Indeed
youtu.be/ytWz0qVvBZ0

Dwarves are popular because they represent everything good about being a white male, you limp-wristed "person of color".

I hate elves as much as you hate yourself

>jewish mountain midgets
>white

So all white males are basically hirsute midget Jews?

Does ะน count as I or Y?

>Applying traits.
It's all relative.
Also, anything shorter than Dwarves needs to die.

>everything good about being a white male.
Fuck you.

>Raggan Hammerhelm
I always use me mums maiden name and my middle name

I would guess I, but it's debatable.

>this is what knife ears believe

Whoops, meant that for this.

>smaller than you, but will fuck you up in a fight
>manly as fuck
>disregard thots
>work hard and mind their own buisness

I don't really see anything negative in the traits that OP listed. I bet he's an elf-loving faggot.

So basically how neckbeards imagine themselves to be. Pathetic

>asexual

I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Dwarves are masculine as fuck.

I think he meant to say homosexual given the fact that dwarven women are masculine as well

Depends.

Or in the way that their masculinity doesn't grant them any pussy. They are masculine without any appeal to the other sex, less than orcs.

This for me, I like a character that can be a comical food one moment and a howling badass the next.

ULGAR BEARDHAND!

Comical doof* stupid autocorrect

Ew dwarves are fat and hairy!! Why would I wanna play someone I don't wanna fuck??

Not kawaii at all!!!!

>Gimgar Hillbattle.
Alright.

>I can sort of see the appeal they have for neckbeards, is it just that vocal minority that keeps pushing them everywhere?

It is a combination of a large number of factors.

>Calling Humans your favorite race comes off as narcissistic. HFY had a short popularity spike on Veeky Forums but soon became unpopular as people got sick of it from overexposure.
>Elves are one of the classic races and stupidly popular throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s. While still popular, overexposure has made a significant portion of Veeky Forums adverse to them.
>Halflings/Hobbits are another classic race but were heavily tainted by one of their variations (Kender) that promoted play that was annoying to others.
>Gnomes are unpopular due to connections to memeticly unpopular real world race and a very annoying variation (tinker gnomes) that pretty much eclipsed every other part of the race.
>Orcs and their more tame versions of Half-orcs and WoW Orcs are a bad guy race with a ton of baggage.
>Tieflings (and other "demon" races) were popular for being edgy and hipster due to their origin (Planescape). When they were made more widely visible they ended up overexposed quite quickly.
>Dragonborn and other Dragonoid races suffer heavily from "new kid" and "snowflakiness."

All these combine to make it so that the "unpopular" popular classic race (Dwarves) ends up the only race it is currently ok to like, but overexposure is straining this.

Are you perhaps triggered, madam? Do you require a safe space?

>but overexposure is straining this.
On Veeky Forums maybe. Dwarves are still one of the least-played races in most games.

So dwarffags on Veeky Forums are hipsters?

>only good races are dorf and helf

sad but true

>WoW Orcs are a bad guy race with a ton of baggage.
Dindu nuffin

Which is why Veeky Forums is an appropriate place to ask the question of "Why are dwarves popular?" In the wider world elves, humans, short races, animal people, dragon people and demon races are still incredibly popular with fans of dwarves being a minority. Saying you like elves/humans/dragonborn/catpeople/halflings/gnomes/tieflings on Veeky Forums will get you shitposted. Dwarves are the "safest" race to like here.

Some are. Others are those who genuinely prefer the race and can be vocal about it because the normally louder voices have been squashed in general.

Half-elves tend to get hit by the elf hate or disliked for being snowflake "humans."

Ok, so I forgot a bunch of punctuation in that sentence.

>Orcs (and their more tame versions of Half-orcs and WoW Orcs) are a "bad guy" race with a ton of baggage that makes it very difficult for people to say they like the race.

That better?

> (OP)
>Strong convictions
Autism

>Excellent craftsman
Autism

Hogging glorious Viking themes in this otherwise shit race is a reason to hate them.

>Strong ties to family
Just like everyone else, going "muh clan" all the time isn't making them cool.

>Runes
See rich history and Traditions.

Their only saving grace is staying out of sight.

>Short without being one of the annoying tiny people
Annoying is a subjective term.

To the detriment of races that aren't trash.

>Stalwart combatants
This doesn't make them any more likeable.

t. Human supremacist Viking

Their flaws are what make them interesting. Like any character in fiction.

Nothing wrong with being gay bro.
You can like elves and ponies and rainbows if you want m8.

What bothers me is that in most settings they don't add anything new or interesting. They're kinda like the "Free Bird" of fantasy races, most people are pretty bored of them but there's always someone in the back who yells for 'em anyway.

I try to not include any races that I don't add more to a setting than "anyway here's some Tolkien"

>short
>manly
Hah, pick one.

Let's not forget the penalties to wisdom, since as we all know, manlets will never learn...

Elves are shit and you know it

Everyone but you and one other person know that elves rock and dwarves ate shit and any posts claiming otherwise are just you two samefaging.

>midget height
>fat
>hairy
>drink alcohol all the time
>not really concerned with women
>hide away from the rest of the world
Well you basically described me so in my case I just really relate to them.

>Been miners for 300+
>Is literally proud of digging in the dirt for some rich cunt for endless generations because it's "natural and manly"
If you're so proud of it, why are you an engineer now?

He might be an engineer for mining and shit user. Mechanical engineer for equipment, civil for land and land management, electrical for miner buildings and mine lighting...

Because most people involved in traditional games are short, fat, hairy, get drunk, and take pride in repetitive tasks.

>any of those
>actual engineering
Those are just mechanics that know how to read.

>fat
>short
>drink too much
>neckbeards
>hide in basements

Why do you think they're popular here? They're like an idealized version of the fa/tg/uy stereotype.

Their women tend to be sexy.

That's not a sexy dwarf. That's a brown girl. Which is fine, but not a dwarf.
THIS is a dwarf.

>Asian dwarf
That's no dwarf

This one better?

>No beard
Still no