WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=hQGiFWwZJno

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

rathcore.com/miniature-holder/
thingiverse.com/thing:2493560
youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZUfPnves4
amazon.com/gp/product/B000KNDMNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't have too much left on this guy and his 14 brothers.

Whoever was responsible for Furioso Dread or the Dread model in general needs a god damn raise.

Easy to assemble, you have all the bits for all the weapon options AND you dont even need to magnetize to use them!
And them Im glancing to my nids and want to cry because you need to magnetize the fuck out of them for all weapons.

>tfw one dude wins 3 catagories in AOP and you win 0

At least you didn't have to stand by while this took home the gold.

Okay.
Wat, no one else?

Is this a joke?

>Is this a joke?

I wish it were. The competition that year (2016) wasn't particularly fierce, but it got more votes than you'd think a "joke" entry should reasonably get.

Oh shit, this is my GW.

>Oh shit, this is my GW.

What was AOP like this year at your store, since the rules (one day for AOS, a separate day for WH40K) and categories changed?

How should I go about making red purity seals stand out against red? (Yes I know most people make the seal a different color.) It looks like the usual way is to just wash the seal a lot darker, is that the best option?

>GW are advertising their new model painting handle
>"works with 25mm, 32mm and 40mm bases"
>pictured with a model sold with a 50mm base, the Lord of Contagion

Why?

To be fair it looks handy though, I usually blu-tack the model to an old-style paint pot.

Does anyone know of any other handles like this, that work for miniatures already on bases?

>How should I go about making red purity seals stand out against red?

Well, aside from making your purity seals green, which is what I do fer my ladz in red armour, you could make them a deeper red. In fact, that's the official colour (a red-violet, really) for Blood Angels' purity seals per GW.

>>Does anyone know of any other handles like this, that work for miniatures already on bases?

Im doing the same as you, but its rather annoying sometimes and I prefer the holder from above because of the rod for your finger.
Dunno if its worth it, atleast GW hasnt fucked up this time, the holder is rather cheap.

I didn't go this year, so I couldn't tell you.

Our store has a few good painters, and a few bad ones. There's a guy that I know for a fact who posts in these /wip/ threads, has a classic Blood Angels army that he enters every year.

I generally don't hang out at that GW though. It's the only place that sells Games-Workshop kits in Denton and it's one of the better GW stores I've been to, but it's still a GW and comes with all the trappings that entails. When I want hobby stuff, I usually drive an hour south towards Dallas to one of the more local stores.

>rathcore.com/miniature-holder/

Thanks.

I think for £5 I might actually purchase something from GW for once.

was that in the youngbloods or first army catagory?

Oh, I meant to look up the official Blood Angels scheme, and then forgot. DIfferent hue as well as shade is doable, thanks!

i just do yellow seals

I just ordered 200 of the em4 orcs that I will be converting up and making a KoW army. Wish me luck anons.

Pic related

This is what I use. The pedestal is a lazy Susan so I can rotate it freely when I'm airbrushing.

Screamer pink. Highlight with emperors children pink. Your choice of wash

Black helmet guardians are done just need to paint the rims of the bases not sure what colour though. Just need to redo the soulstones on the bone helmet ones.

Nicely done user

What brown should I use to paint the wooden parts of a Krieg lasgun ?

Look forward to seeing it mate, I was planning on doing a Dwarf army for KoW for less than £20 the same way.

This has probably been asked before, how would you paint this kind of "white wood" effect?

Any guides out there? My issue is that I have a round, soft treeman from a boardgame rather than pointy, edgy Dryads like this which you can drybrush away.

I'd unironicly consider a textured primer for grtty bark effect.

If you have access to a 3d printer, you can make one.
thingiverse.com/thing:2493560

So I've noticed my Nuln oil seems a bit milky grey, seems like it doesn't go on very strong at all. Is this how it's supposed to be? Did I maybe not shake it enough or is it a bad batch?

>Did I maybe not shake it enough or is it a bad batch?

Do you have a glacket in your pot? Try adding some glass beads or cut up chunks of sprue before shaking. Stay away from BB's that will ozidize.

Anyone have any good sites for buying either bulk swords with no hands attached and female models?

>Anyone have any good sites for buying either bulk swords with no hands attached

Check out the pastebin in the OP.

>and female models?

Victoria Miniatures seems to be pretty popular around here.

What's the best recommended brushes to paint with? I'm seeing nothing but praise about Winsor Newton

What head is that?

>not painting them in superior black polymer

Shitty brushes are unironically the best

>WW1-themed army
>Black polymer stocks
user...

I laughed when I saw that but to be honest if buy one for £5.

Posted my warlock engi few weeks back, finaly took the time to base it. Need a second coat of White on the rim though.

Maybe work on a Brown base then drybrush/layer your way to White ?

is this for sale or not?

Not yet, I think.

>tfw dude wins 4/5 categories
he deserved it

Here's a start:
youtube.com/watch?v=l6ZUfPnves4

I'm not sure how they did the blue effect though. Looks maybe like they were actually basecoated in something like stegadon green or maybe the fang, washed (more at the bottom), then drybrushed with a light grey & then white (heavier at the top)

Possible that the blue is a glaze, wash, first highlight or even a trick of the light, though

>not replacing your shitty wooden stock with a superior archangel stock
>then putting it on lasgunbroker for 1000 thrones
No lowball offers I know what I got.

So as it gets colder and I have mounds of grey plastic to paint, folks have been recommending black gesso. However, while Liquitex was apparently the recommended brand for a long while, apparently they changed their formula a ways back, and not in a good way. Anyone here prime with black gesso? Google has some info, but a lot of it is more than 3 years old.

I use black gesso regularly. Purchased it about 2 months ago. Shit is great. Works with airbrush or brush. Goes on thick, dries thin.

Swords would be Anvil Industriy I think. Female is Victoria Models for sure.

Which brand do you recommend, and do you thin it before brush application? I'm getting mixed reports on that.

How do yall decide color schemes for your armies?

I've been painting for a while but its been for DnD, not mini wargaming. I'm suddenly frozen trying to pick my scheme out, and I don't want it to be vanilla colored.

Picked up Operation Red Veil for Infinity, I'm fielding the currently Yellow army, YuJing, on the left of the image.

amazon.com/gp/product/B000KNDMNE

Use 1:1 water:gesso mix with brush and airbrush.

Basically I'd go with whatever I feel would look cool on a mini.
Use your favorite color, looks at some artwork, a paintjob on a racing car or your local sportsteam.

If you got your main color the rest is just finding a secondary and the accent.

You can also throw the picture you posted here into Photoshop and just play around with it.
Swap the color channels, slide the hues around, make adjustment layers for selective channel mixing, do a paintover or whatever.

For the last colorscheme I made I just color picked some images I liked and put them into a pallette.
>pic related
There are also online tools for webdesign that can help you out with the color combinations, if you are not big on color theory.

>How do yall decide color schemes for your armies?

I refer to the source material I like the best and ignore everything that comes after which might change it.

Sons of Horus Reaver.

Which arm pose?

>rare RT squig miniature
>didn’t even fill the gaps in the base with spackle
The absolute state.
Ours was breddy gud, all marines unfortunately but the winner was very nice, especially the weathering on the knights at the back

How do yall feel about metallics? Do you prefer NMM or normal metallics?

>>Basically I'd go with whatever I feel would look cool on a mini.
>>Use your favorite color
That's what I was planning, working around Purple as the base color. I just wanted to branch out from the possibility of using Yellow as the secondary.

Color theory wise I could do Purple, yellow-orange, and green. Or box it on the color wheel and do Purple, orange, teal, and yellow. I'm just indecisive.

Are there any color suggestions to not field? I know a lot of people have an issue with straight Yellow.

My friend is taking the other half of the box, with a Tan, red, and bone white scheme we worked through together.

I just don't like a lot of their source material color schemes. Orange/yellow isn't my thing. I guess I could pull from other source material and rock that...

Very nice. FW stuff is unfortunately banned at my store. I say unfortunately because my main army is a Horus Heresy Word Bearers force so I couldn't participate

Even counts as models?

Second one. Looks more dynamic, and shows the obvious advantage of having four arms.

Hmm I don't know, I guess. It's banned because last year people only voted for armies that had a big centre piece like a thunderhawk or a bio titan even if paintwork was meh and the board was plain

Paint a practice model and stand 3 feet from it. Does it still look good with your color choices? You can do color theory all you want but the finished product with weathering, basing, etc. is just gonna be its own thing.

>Color theory wise I could do Purple, yellow-orange, and green. Or box it on the color wheel and do Purple, orange, teal, and yellow. I'm just indecisive.
Don't forget the tones too. You also don't have to use another color if you don't want to.
Purple and white would be fine. Could fill all the inbetweens with greys, tans or browns or blacks.
As long you take care to make one the clear primary you could also use a blue or even red to harmonize.

There's a lot of stuff you can do.

Personally I like straight yellow btw, but you have to be able to paint it. A lot of people just don't have the patience to do the necessary amounts of thin even coats.

First one is has more visual appeal at eye-level it with the upright swords, but from above I think the bottom one might look better. More threatening for sure.

Yall have been great, thank you for the advice.

Do yall limit your schemes to 2-3 colors, barring the necessary highlight colors?

Luckily they provide us with three basic ass models that are relatively trash in game and visually, so I'll do what you said with those three.

I haven't ever done straight yellow, but my friend is interested in a yellow for another army so I'll have to figure it out.

Neither. Make a dynamic pose, its a freaking hive tyrant, god dammit.
He's not gonna stand around, strike a pose and cross his swords when he's supposed to be chopping his enemies.

First time painting
Things I've noticed:
Painting with gold sucks
This CSM head's eyes and teeth are annoying

>I guess I could pull from other source material and rock that...

Now you're thinking!

Thats really breddy gud for your first time. Is that a transfer or a freehand on his shoulder?
Also, the model could use some shading and highlights.
Otherwise well done, user. Welcome to the eternal torment that is painting plastic army men.

Do a double brown wash on the gold before hitting the edges with some kind of silver color and you'll gain a lot of depth.

Transfer (My third attempt after two ruined ones)
I did a little tiny bit of shading but I guess it's not really visible, and I was too afraid to do highlights for this one, I'll try on the the next one.

Thanks for the tip, I was already using earthshade on the gold to dull it down, I will try that next time.

my advice for painting gold is do a basecoat of brown first, it makes applying the gold a lot easier

A lot better than many first timers, don't muck it up. Mostly clean, some bits on the backpack could be cleaned up. Like the other posts, throw in some shade. Or if you did, leave more of it visible. You don't want to leave a tiny sliver visible, these models will be seen from around 3ft away when played.

If you don't have a thinner brush, try to pick one up. It makes bits like the eyes a lot easier, less cleanup.

>see a guy on ebay selling his (pictured) DKOK army for 38 USD
>explicitly said in description that what was pictured was what was being sold
>check profile
>"Based in China, [seller] has been an eBay member since Oct 09, 2017"

have I been scammed

Seems too good to be true, I hope you can get the money back just in case.

If you've been scammed, it was only 38 bucks. If you weren't, you got a ton of shit for 38 bucks.

Yes, you have. If it's legit please post some pictures when it arrives, it would be amazing

I wanna say yeah, you've been scammed.

There's been a lot of brand new china accounts stealing other people's pics of massive mini collections/armies and making fake, cheap listings from what I have seen.

Hmm, the window of delivery is between Nov30th-Dec7th, if it's a scam I think recouping it on my CC won't be too hard.

But I've heard of people selling armies for cheap because they're in a pinch, I'm hopeful, but I'm very apprehensive

If you collect models I suppose 38 usd isn't a big deal for you user. I hope you get lucky though!

I also remember some 4 eyed bitch that painted pretty meh and wouldbt shut up about her lizardmen - who happe ed to have a shit color scheme - Let met tell ya. These golden daemons of the WHFest have lost prestiege. Back in the last decade games days the competition was a spectacle!

It isn't but 38 USD could've been put to better use

I'm doing more and more digging and I'm really tempted to opt out, seems way too fishy, and the delivery date is (in my mind) far away so that you forget about it...

Deliveries from China tend to be long as fuck if that helps you decide what to do

99% convinced it's a scam; the idea is you get a box with a bauble or junk, ask to return and refund, but you have to pay the return fee to China, which is like 60 bucks.

Sorry to hype you up lads, but you can imagine my child-like giddiness when pressing the "Buy" icon.

I tried to do more realistic tones, the carapace I'm happy with but the skin is eh. I wanted the bone and weapons to kinda blend into the skin but i don't know.
Hows it look so far and what could I do to fix the skin up?

All right, I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

Yikes, what nozzle are you airbrushing with, and how's your brush look afterwards? Gesso contains (simulated) gypsum, that could be thashing your mix chamber.

Don't be hopeful, its a scam, ebay will refund you no problem though. I didn't buy a huge lot like that, but it was also a new china account with really cheap stuff. Just get your money back now, you can google search their photos and find the original ebay listing of that item.

While I can't paint the missing models from my AoP board in a way wip doesn't like, I did a little work on a daemon weapom for a warpsmith. Should have used less material for the outline and there are quite a few things things I have to correct later on. I really should be using a refence image for this, but I didn't, and I'm quite sure I ended up with something rather different from the image I remember halfway and couldn't find again. While this is not the first time I try my hand at sculpting, it is the firts time I try to put a three dimensional face on two dimensional surface. Surprisingly it looks better from the angles I forgot to check, than the one I worked with. Also, check out the filename for something unrelated.

Currently building my Mantis Warrior Bike captain. I got a DG friend of mine to give me his "fly" helmet so my captain can have a cool "bug-like" helmet. I've removed the tongue and greenstuffed up the boils and battledamage, but I feels like I should add some more stuff to it. I'm toying with the idea of a helmet crest like normal marines have, or perhaps some mandibles near the mouth?

>Just get your money back now, you can google search their photos and find the original ebay listing of that item.

Already cancelled, trying to google back the image but I'm not getting anything

in any case, recently finished Tson with bolter, what does /wip/ think?

here's the soulreaper variant

Sweet. I love that jade gem in his chest

And the first guy I started with outta the bunch

>I'm toying with the idea of a helmet crest like normal marines have, or perhaps some mandibles near the mouth?

Either of those options sound totally boss, especially considering your chapter's heraldry.

I think thess organic and more helmet like is a good idea. the big bug eyes are nice but making the rest of the helmet look more normal would probably work

Was it rigged or something? Did they're friends do all the voting? None of these boards are particularly stunning but this one is leagues ahead of that Chase shit.

Ice themed skaven, cool

dont those teeth rip the shit out of the feet?

Finished my first Vanguard, thou thinking he needs some weathering.