/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
We're all far from ideal. What are some times your confusion about rules harmed the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qVdgaSuAjII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party

Sword Bard look good.

I once got my party killed because I forgot I had level 4 spells readied.

I once was too confused about how combat worked, bringing it down to a halt, and the DM told me to please learn how the character worked before the next session.

I also once didn't know how monks worked, and lost many attacks and an opportunity to use my reaction to catch a missile and my dm didn't even warn me about that, nor about Lucky. Curses.

Ok /5eg/ this is how my table brings wizards in line. After you pick your tradition the only spells you can get on level up are restricted to your tradition. If you want to acquire non tradition spells you need the spell book or scroll.

How do we make the magic system in 5e more like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

What are the better spells to pick for a level 4 EK, playing in CoS?

Or some spells that should be picked in the future as the character levels up?

So you encourage all Wizard party. Great thinking user.

What are some good race / class options if I want to build a skill monkey? I'm leaning more toward CHA, INT, and WIS skills, with an emphasis on CHA.

It seems like anons are already trying to make 5e more like WFRP

I'm trying to build a tactician type character. Is there any way to get sneak attack damage on Eldritch Blast?

The current plan is to go theif 3, then warlock 2, then get theif 4 to bump my stats. I'm starting with the healer feat so I can off heal as a bonus action.

If I can't make eldritch blast work, I might switch into bard and skill monkey it up?

Half-Elf (+CHA and 2 skills) or Variant Human (1 skill and skilled feat)

Start with Rogue for 4 skills then multiclass into Bard for 1 more.

>my dm didn't even warn me about that,

Not DMs job to keep track of PCs abilities. You have one job, and that is to know your character.

The DM is already doing tons of work.

No.

I only got to play it for a short while, but Knowledge Cleric is pretty hilarious since you can be proficient in anything you want for 10 minutes twice a day. Also they get "expertise" in various INT/WIS skills.

Make every spell require a check to cast

No how do I do that?

Does high int still give bonus skills?

Which is your preferred method for doling out treasure and magic items (I need help figuring out what method I will use for a game I want to DM):

1) Rolling on the random loot tables found in the DMG.

2) The DM selecting how much money and which specific magic items (paying mind to player requests) to reward the players at a given time?

don't. skill monkeying is worthless in 5e.

If you want to be proficient on anything, pick Bard or Knowledge Cleric

>skill monkeying is worthless in 5e.
How so?

Because there are so few skills, skill monkey characters aren’t a necessity. If you’re adamant though, half elf rogues are the way to go.

If sneak attack mentions ranged weapon attacks within 30’ as the catalyst for sneak attack, you’re screwed, dude. The wording you’re looking for is ranged attacks within 30’ because spell attacks at range still count. Read the book, it has the answers. Otherwise, refer to above for skill monkey uselessness.

Nope.

They all share their books with each other to get all dem spells

No. Also, read the book.

A bit of both. I roll on the tables and adjust it for what I think is more fitting. I also roll when I had no time to prepare.

I wish. All skills are is modifier + proficiency if you have it.

Call me crazy but I still prefer the 3.5 skill system

> If you want to acquire non tradition spells you need the spell book or scroll.
4 Wizard. 4 spell books. 4 school of magic for each.

Mundane thing doesnt require rolling now. Also skill check rely more on you rolling high number rather than your skill bonus.

WHY SHOULD I WASTE MY TIME ON THAT SHIT WHEN I CAN JUST ASK THE INTERNET WHAT THE DIFFERENCES ARE BETWEEN 5TH AND THE EDITION I'VE PLAYED BEFORE???

Combination of both. Nothing wrong with random loot as long as it’s rolled quickly and doesn’t slow the game down. Prerolling is a better option but I understand that some people like to roll in front of their groups.

He means multiple wizards can have different specializations and share spells. But that isn't terribly likely to happen. What is a problem though is that it's too restrictive, and depending what school/level/books are involved the wizard might not have anything to learn at certain levels.

This is /5eg/ you should at the bare minimum read the PHB

>and my dm didn't even warn me about that, nor about Lucky
Kill or otherwise remove yourself permanently from the hobby.

How badly could someone break the classic meme artifact that allows you to cast a spell with one letter changed? (e.g. speak with dad, pant growth, mage land etc.)

Is it game-breaking or just hilarious?

Can't read the book while stuck in the office with little to no real work

I might still do it just for the flexibility and other invocations.

It's like level 17 when theif let's me use magic items as a bonus action, right?

What a waste of time. I already know how to play D&D because I read an older edition. Just tell me what's different and I'm ready to rock.

It's more fun if instead of changing one letter, you change one word to "pants". Particularly if you're British, where "pants" exclusively refers to underwear.

>Heat Pants
>Zone of Pants
>Hunger of Pants
>Magic Pants
>Mordenkainen's Magnificent Pants

I know I was bad as shit, that's why I said that. I'm fully aware now of my responsibilities in the social contract as a player (ensure I understand the rules that govern my character and to not be a noob piece of shit) after I got sternly lectured by my DM and fellow players.

>This is /5eg/ you should at the bare minimum read the PHB

Raise your hand if you haven't read the PHB

>Mundane thing doesnt require rolling now
Anything the DM says needs a roll, needs a roll.
>Also skill check rely more on you rolling high number rather than your skill bonus.
A high bonus increases your odds of passing the check.

Game breaking AND hilarious.

Only do this shit if you know your campaign is coming to an end anyway. Or for one-shots.

I know this is bait but I've met a disgusting amount of people like this

Slap you DM with PHB and make him give up his DM card. Then DM a new campaigm yourself.

Anybody got any thoughts of the homebrew Demolitionist class? I'm thinking of using it for an upcoming campaign of mine and I want to know if anyone has any experience with it,

>Homebrew
It's shit.

WHY SHOULD WE WASTE TIME TO ANSWER SOME FAGGOT ON THE INTERNET THAT REFUSE TO READ THE BOOK FOR GAME HE IS PLAYING.

You know, user, it is fine to ask about details and stuff and we will gladly give advice you if we know right answer, but please, try to look at it from our side.

We don't like helping someone who doesn't expend effort to solve his problem on his own.

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

Maybe instead of baiting you could
try reading, maybe the 5e PHB would be a good start

At the risk of starting a pointless argument, download adobe reader and then the PHB.

The ability you’re thinking of is a level 13 thief ability. It allows you to ignore all class and race restrictions on attunment. Fast hands allows you to use an object as a bonus action and that’s a level 3 feature for thieves.

Just ban wizards, it's not hard.

>Sword Bard look good.
I need a leak of this

Then what does a Bladesinger get?

No one of my party members love playing evocation wizard.

See

YOU ARE THE MOST UNHELPFUL PERSON I'VE EVER MET! WAY TO WELCOME SOMEBODY TO THE NEW EDITION AND THE HOBBY! 5TH EDITION COMMUNITY IS CANCER!!! I'm going back to my Pathfinder society.

Because you're a barbarian with low mental stats in a nice comfy inn and you're not a caster with the 'alarm' spell

>Casters can take advantage of the stealth more since normally their damage would be low and now they can do ridiculous damage against sleeping targets
>Casters are better at stealth
>Casters can prevent themselves from being ambushed
>Casters who use spells to render targets unconscious are now broken

All because some faggot thought he was better than the rules and that the rules should have instant death on unconscious targets

Understandable
Have a nice day

Im on mobile, it is not feasible for me.

Fast hands does not work with magic items. You cannot activate a scroll as a bonus action unless the spell is itself a bonus action. This is clarified in the DMG, and there is another ability at a high level that does allow this but I do t recall what level.

Man, there is always so much wizard shitposting in 5eg but I've been playing 5e weekly with the same group since launch and have only had a single wizard in any of our parties.

Have I just been blessed?

>Raise your hand if you should be neutered without anaesthetic.

Ftfy

>Just tell me what's different and I'm ready to rock.
The differences are:
Races, Classes, Backgrounds, Equipment, Customization Options, Using Ability Scores, Adventuring, Combat, Spellcasting, Spells.
Take a read through these specific sections in the PHB and all your confusion will be cleared. I can't write out all the differences, after all.

It's not worthless but I would simply say 'bard and rogue are skill monkeys and everybody else sucks'
Bard is usually the better skill monkey

I don't understand why people think wizards need to be punished with their spell selections. Int is a horrible stat to use now and clerics and druids get their entire spell list without having to jump through hoops like maintaining a spellbook

Just saying it is possible, I have all the core PDFs on my phone so i don't know what issue you would have
At 13th level or so Thief Rogues can use magic items, ignoring class restrictions for attunement

STOP TROLLING ME!

wizards are a meme user, few people actually try and play one, especially at the lower levels. The difficulty curve is too high for most players to be fun.

This is bait, guys. Don't respond to people who don't read the 5e PHB in a discussion about 5e.

>STOP TROLLING ME!
But you are the troll

>All because some faggot thought he was better than the rules and that the rules should have instant death on unconscious targets
It was two failed saves.
Did everyone in that discussion just forget that you'd logically wake up when you get attacked?

As the other user said, just ban wizards. Otherwise, they'd all play conjuration or some shit.
There aren't enough spells with enough diversity to make this work when other casters exist, all the wizard players would just play bard instead and fuck things up even harder.

No, that's normal. I've played in five 5e campaigns so far, two wizards total from all five groups. As usual, the thing people are complaining about isn't a real problem.

Not a fan. What if they pick Abjuration? Does this mean they only get half the spells known because there's only one 2nd level abj spell?
What about a higher level diviner? They'd get one spell at 6th, and NONE at 7th and 8th.
Enchantment has literally no 3rd level spells. The point when magic users should start to be glad they decided to be them (5th level characters) and they're stuck still feeling worthless.

At that point any sensible person would see this rule and go "yeah fuck that I'll just play anything else"

I've been play since launch and I've only ever seen one martial take SS+CBE and I've never seen GWM taken

If you're making death saves you're already dead, user. The guy literally just has to make a second attack (Which they can probably make in the same turn) and you're dead. And you never wake up because you're making death saves which means you're unconscious.

>you're already dead
Nani?!

Multiple reasons.

1. A wizard can usually solve the problem with a level 3 or below spell.

2. Proficiency Bonus is shit until high levels, and for most of the game having proficiency in a skill will only make you 10-20% better at the skill than somebody with no proficiency at all.

3. Rogues and Bards have Expertise which slightly mitigates point #2, but everyone else is fucked.

4. A good DM is never going to put something like a locked door in your way and then not give you a way around it if nobody can pick the lock.

5. Magic items and spells can bypass most of these encounters as easily as a level 6 wizard can, even if you're not a wizard yourself.

Not seeing that ability anywhere in the PHB or SCAG. Could be UA but I don’t download them.

I think of it more along the lines of what spells are available in the area. But then I come from a 1e/2e background where you had to study to go up a level under an instructor of appropriate level.

>tfw rolled a rogue when I should have rolled a wizard

No, because rogues will work in an anti magic field

I'd do the spell-restricting thing just to add flavor and make finding scrolls more exciting. I'd have to give them something else to compensate, of course.

fun fact: you don't fix underpowered casters by making the appropriately powered one shit

What if I gave it only one charge, so the party really had to choose something worth doing? What's the worst they could do?

I AM British, I enjoy this concept.

Today's UA day right?

Godspeed.

I believe what you see is often more extreme examples than what happens in real life. We had wizard in our group and while he was without doubt strongest character (although mostly because the player played smart and we took a lot of long rests), we haven't had any problem with him.

Also, wizards starts to break the game more at higher levels. They are pretty in line first half of the game.

>What about these obvious, easily-solved problems???

You use the obvious, easy solution. You talk to the player and figure out some extra options that fit their character's style and concept.

Have you ever played a game, or is your hobby just complaining about how "broken" everything is?

Drawmiji's Instant Pants

>What's the worst they could do?
Famous last words.

>I AM British,
On second thought, go right ahead with your idea and let all your players use it as often as they'd like.

Yes, because you know, that's going to apply in more than 1% of situations ever.

Or do you play with That DM that loves throwing anti-magic fields everywhere because he runs a DM-Vs-player game?

sorry user, it got pushed back to the second monday of each month. it'll be next week

But in that 1% of situations you will reign supreme

Not sure because bards are the God tier class now

Not the guy you're talking to, but we had a pure Wizard in our campaign who knew what the fuck he was doing (this ties in nicely with the Wizard discussion going on).

To make anything even remotely challenging to the party, the DM did indeed have to throw anti-magic shit all over the place, and after level 10 you could count on at least one NPC per combat encounter to have Counterspell or Dispel Magic - often both.

>stealing banishing smite as a Strength Lore Bard

they never see it coming
youtube.com/watch?v=qVdgaSuAjII

Oh that's every month now? Fuck. Thanks.

>Wizard who knows what he's doing
>Being stopped by counterspell
No, that wizard did not know what he was doing.

That's a weird way to spell warlock

Already dying, rather. And more relevantly, unconscious.