Smart contracts are basically pieces of software that can oversee and execute a trade, without any third party having to press the “trade” button. So if we want to trade, say, 1000 LINK for 10 ETH, a smart contract can “look” to see that we have both put up our ends, and when we have, it automatically performs the swap. It’s great because we can never rip each other off (the swap only happens when both sides have fronted) and we don’t need a third party to do the swap for us and take fees.

But smart contracts are limited at the moment because they can only perform swaps for very specific things, and that is, things that are coded in terms the smart contract can understand. For example, an Ethereum smart contract can trade LINK for ETH because it can “see” both of those things on the Ethereum blockchain. But it hits a wall when we want to trade, say, ETH for a concert ticket. The concert ticket isn’t coded in a way that Ethereum can natively understand, so there is no way for the smart contract to know that it is a legit, non-cancellable, version.

This is where oracles come in. An Oracle is a company which has recently appeared in the smart contract space, whose job it is to translate data into a form that a smart contract can understand. So, you could hire an Oracle to program your concert ticket in a form that could be read by the smart contract, so that the smart contract could properly execute a trade when you have fronted the ticket, and they have fronted a couple of ETH.

But there’s a pretty serious problem here. If you’re paying a private company to translate your data into a smart contract readable format, then what’s the point of even using a smart contract in the first place? The whole point was that we didn’t want to have to trust a middleman in order to make our trade, but now we’re using a trusted middleman and both of us have to believe that the Oracle is doing an honest job. The whole reasoning behind using a smart contract is wasted, because if we’re going to be paying private Oracles to translate data, we might as well just pay a private mediator to oversee the trade and take a fee.

This is where ChainLink comes in. ChainLink creates a decentralised network of oracles so that the entire process of smart contract execution is trustless. Instead of trusting a single private oracle to translate the data honestly, we are now using a trustless network of nodes to move information on and off blockchains. This is massive, but to get an idea of how massive, you need to think bigger than concert tickets.

Big business, and I mean pretty much any big business, will love smart contracts. Billions if not trillions of dollars a year are spent on exchanging value, and huge money is paid so that the value is exchanged properly and accountably and fairly. Smart contracts automate the process of value exchange and therefore offer billions and billions and billions in savings to companies that use them. But companies aren’t diving all over them yet because of the problem listed above. If a number of entities want to perform large exchanges of value, but are all using their own private oracles, then the trustless exchange is not achieved and the smart contract is pointless. ChainLink, and ChainLink alone, offers up the possibility of bringing end-to-end trustless smart contracts to the world, and this is a revolution so profound that at this point it is almost impossible to see the future extent of it.

*farts*

But is ChainLink the project that will do it? You might have been reading FUD about 2 man teams or absentee CEOs or shit like that, but here’s what we know.

The ChainLink team were the only blockchain related team to be invited to present at SIBOS two years running, and in their proof of concept this year they showed that the ChainLink network could automate messaging for certain aspects of SWIFT’s bond processing. Sergey’s EOY announcement mentioned SWIFT by name twice in giving examples of the sort of work that ChainLink could do, and the work that was ongoing. While the market seemed to want to hear the word “partnership”, this was proof of a close and ongoing relationship. SWIFT manages messaging standards for more than 11,000 banks worldwide.

Also, ZeppelinOS recently announced a partnership with ChainLink. ZeppelinOS stands to be the base development layer for future dApps and smart contracts on the EVM (Ethereum network). They provide a standard interface for dApp/SC development and will use ChainLink as their default oracle service. This means that the vast majority of new projects built on Ethereum will use ChainLink in the background without even knowing it.
And this is just the beginning. ChainLink is probably the most profoundly anti-hype project in the crypto space right now. They have said that they will let their partners announce all partnerships, and they just want the tech to speak for itself. If ZeppelinOS and SWIFT aren’t enough, the EOY announcement hinted at ongoing work with everyone from small SC startups to the absolute monsters of finch and insurtech. ChainLink’s demo at SWIFT had data provided by organisations (like Barclays, Santander, BNP Paribas) with literally trillions of dollars in assets.

Read between the lines. Consider the complete absence of hype. Look at the monster information that has come out already. DYOR.

50% link
50% BZC
= Chad

It's actually disgusting watching everyone disregard Chainlink and chase empty pumps instead. This is the most innovative piece of technology that financial and insurance sectors have all been waiting for and it will actually revolutionize the world and strengthen every industry it touches.

Look at Vitalik, Roger, Justin, and Charlie constantly focusing on publicity stunts, shilling, and talking about the pricing of their coins. Sergey is actually the most reliable leader in the cryptosphere focusing only on his technology and development, no bullshitting with publicity stunts. Only honest answers to honest questions when he gets the chance.

I feel like I'm taking fucking crazy pills watching all of this play out. Etherscan shows that soon 95% of all available circulating LINK will be consolidated into less than 15,000 wallets and that continues to shrink as more people try to chase pumps, they're being shaken into stronger hands. As soon as Sergey's saved up LINK is finally handed over to institutions we'll see the price jump by increments of dollars and it'll be way too for most people by then. This is so fucking ridiculous and scary in showing how stupid most of Veeky Forums actually is.

Fuck off bountyjeet

The true chadfolio is link req and qsp

BRÄAAAAAAAP!

you make me want more linkies now. tks.

Sergey is backpacking through Asia fucking ladyboy hookers and stuffing his face full of big macs telling everyone he's retired. Nobody has heard from him in weeks he's probably dead.

ChainLink is a boring as fuck hold. But it's the kind of thing you can never forgive yourself for when big partnerships are announced and it goes parabolic just like we all know it will. Buy now before it takes off and stop fucking around with bullshit. It's happening this year.

Lmfaoooo literally laughed out loud while reading through this serious post. Seriously buy link or die poor

Shill me better. Whats with These 10k nodes only? Those coins are 4 Cent max

This desu famalam

LINK is gonna moon so fuckin hard

If someone wanted to accumulate $100,000 worth of LINK right now (over 200,000 LINK), it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. Just a 50k LINK purchase will move the price up 1 cent, so it has to be done slowly. You have to think that at least a few such larger sized investments are being made into LINK. That is reflected in the chart, which is why the price is sustaining around a certain range. 2018 is the year LINK is happening, so it's either accumulate now or miss it.

I have found this thread entertaining, and yes, I now want to buy some links. thanks.

this is some bot shit

does this mean no more mining?

Well, well, well. Another Zelda memer in a LINK thread...

I suppose this one gets a bit more of a pass since it's a Beavis Butthead meme as well, but still. The Zelda outfit has got to go.

Ha! There are a LOT of things that mean no more mining. IOTA, XRP, XRB, pretty much any decent PoS coin... miners just don't want to admit it's all going to be obsolete eventually.

yes desu it is only a matter of time and catching the dips.

This is why Link is Biz's coin. It is the future and I'm holding with iron hands. The price action has been tough the last few months, but you will shoot yourself for not being prepared for when it does take off. We all know it's going to happen.

show bobs.

when the dog bites
when the bee stings
when im feeling sad
i just think of a few of my massive LINK bags
and then I don't feel
so bad :^)

Copy pasta

Yeah taking of in the direction of 0

Jej

checkd

it has been confirmed.

Quads confirm

lol this fucking faggot seriously isn't all in on link right now

legit farted from laughing

shhhhhhhh....why else would you think an investment firm already scooped up 42 million links in the open market? let us accumulate more while we can

good!

someone post the link marine chart

>This is where ChainLink comes in. ChainLink creates a decentralised network of oracles so that the entire process of smart contract execution is trustless. Instead of trusting a single private oracle to translate the data honestly, we are now using a trustless network of nodes to move information on and off blockchains.

No they aren't. If they were ChainLink would be bigger. They can't do it. No one can.

fuck user I'm dying here lmao

ty you user, as a LINK holder commander general I appreciate your efforts to suppress this cringeworthy shilling.

I wrote those yesterday and only got a single reply before the thread died, so whether it was a bot or another user I'm at least glad it got some attention.

what makes you think chainlink will actually be able to create decentralized oracles?

The level of attention and care that has been dedicated to development. Things like the Intel SGX integration and the close relationship with Ari Juels/IC3 show how seriously this problem is being approached.
Even just looking at ZeppelinOS' language in announcing the ChainLink partnership and you get the sense that they are seriously respected within the space.
Yes, a decentralised oracle network is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. Running a node is technically challenging, and establishing enough nodes to make an effective network is even harder. But ChainLink have the resources and the networking and the time in the industry to have the best possible chance. The fact that there is almost no hype/shilling and every effort is being expended into technical development is indicative that this team is totally committed to success.

Of course nothing is guaranteed. But if this team can't pull it off, nobody else will for quite some time.

why did vitalik say they didn't deserve 30million

He's a developer, he knows fuckall about valuation.

He didn't think Oracles were worth $30 million up front. Which gets shouted down here but is kinda right, if you ask me. Does any tech startup need $30 million to get off the ground? It's normal in this space, if anything it's humble by current standards, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's justified.

Having said that, if ChainLink lives up to its potential and becomes the standard oracle mechanism for everything from SWIFT to smart contracts to ETH development (through Zeppelin) then the network will be worth billions.

If Vitalik meant that moving data on and off chain and creating trustless end-to-end smart contracts wasn't worth $30 mil, then I seriously disagree. If he just meant it was a bit much that a development team would be paid $30 mil a year before launch then I am a bit more sympathetic to his stance.

krpaya LINK sar jah ek bahut achchha sikka sir bahut vikendreekrt aur surakshit sikka hai

It's already 2018 in your country?

>Oracles are awesome. Much harder to argue oracles are worth $32m.

That doesn't sound like he's criticizing "up front".

Well then I'll go with my other statement that Oracles will be worth far, far more than that in the very near future.

I want to expand on what this user said. If you truly read the whitepaper you will see that there are still some problems that the team acknowledges and admits they haven't found solution for, but even a centralized oracle would have them, what chainlink does is it minimizes the risk

>mfw he meant oracles are worth much much more

Prooferini?

Poorfag here. Is 1k of Link enough for a 5 year hodl?

What’s a realistic price prediction over the next five years.

200-300$

Vitalic said etherium is worth 7 dollars

Enjoy being poor when mainnet is finished

I would also like proof

That's impossible to predict. A lot of bad things might happen that could lead the price to 0$

I'm way more conservative though. In 5 years I see this at 20$ per token