ITT: uncomfortable revelations

>Buddha never reached Enlightenment
>Enlightenment doesn't exist
>He just meditated enough to become aware of the existence of the spiritual realm and its denizens
>He saw what they had planned for humanity
>Buddhism was devised as a means to extinguish our souls before those things could get their hands on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hDCWM35pzS4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring_the_circle
youtube.com/watch?v=s86-Z-CbaHA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Tiny people such as Borrowers, Brownies, Fairies, Pixies, little people like 4-7 inches tall wouldn't be able to have little fire places, wood burning stoves, or really anything like that wot would fit in their houses.
>The small pieces of wood they'd try to put in their or collect simply wouldn't burn long enough or hot enough because it doesn't have enough fuel to do so and generate those high temperatures.
>It'd be like boiling water with a candle.

>Reincarnation can't work in D&D if the person died of old age
>Ex-humanoid creatures with hours to live have to stay in the form they currently are in the outer planes
>The gods might shun them for altering themselves into different forms

Discovered my arm dislocated. Had to shove it back in.

Uh, smaller space in a smaller home -> takes less fuel to heat, no?

Cooking a maggot steak on a bottle cap pan over a small fire is fast.

Relatedly:

>"Lol God doesn't exist cuz evil exists."
>Of course the evil of mankind still does exist.
>It's just that the evil outside of this world is greater than mankind can perceive.
>God allows men to commit evil because he has no attention to spare.
>TFW God is to busy fighting Eldritch horrors to help us now.

>"Superman doesn't exist cuz he didn't come to my birthday party like my mom told me he would!"
>Of course Superman exists.
>He's just too busy to come to your birthday party, fighting greater evil in space, too far for our best telescopes to see.
>TFW Superman exists!

Doesn't really make sense, though buddhism does seek the ultimate death

I can kind of get it. If its like Cthulhu or something wouldn't it make sense to destroy everyone's souls before the stars are right?

No, because that's fiction.
They seek death because it's the only possible way to to avoid suffering.

I was actually going to make a setting off this. Then I fleshed it out more and realized I more or less had fantasy 40k with the primarchs and emperor being deities so I stopped.

I thought the thread was about potential plot info for campaigns and stuff that could bother players.

This argument implies that God is not all-powerful. I guess that's one way to solve the problem of evil, but I don't think you'll see many theologians lining up to endorse it.

Even in the pali canon that's extremely ambiguous and most buddhists are not theravadists and Nirvana not being death is pretty much canon in the other branchs.

>Implying other things can't be omnipotent.
>Implying "God can do all things." has any other implications other than in this life.
>Implying omnipotence isn't deviantart tier Christian fanwank, and I'm a Christian.

fuck you I want fairies to have little fireplaces made out of tiny mud bricks with chimneys that poke out of tree stumps

It's that one big philosophical flaw in modern christianity's portrayal of God.
God is somehow all powerful, all knowing, and the ultimate good (there's also omnipresent but its not as important in this scenario). But it's impossible for something like that to exist so you remove one facet and the rest work well together.

Well the cessation of the death/rebirth cycle is more of a side affect of achieving nirvana rather than the goal. When you are freed from all desires you don't really care one way or the other about samsara.

to high a surface area to volume ratio, the fuel would oxygenate really quickly, like burning flour

Candles?

>Earth is a prison for powerful souls.
>It was created by ancient evil gods to subjugate the immortal warriors who oppose them.
>Every second spent living is a second your allies are loosing the war without your help.
>The population of earth just keeps rising.

>The existence of evil is a direct refutation of God's existence.

What is the significance of virtue when there is no alternative? Evil exists so that we may choose a better path.

These people don't believe in free will, so it's moot to even try to discuss it with them.

Classical Christianity assumes a set and immutable hierarchy within the order of the universe.

Enlightenment thought seems to question this idea, exemplified in the depiction of the Vitruvian Man. Man exists in two irreconcilable facets simultaneously (a square and a circle can't mathematically have the same area because of the irregular nature of pi), demonstrating that Humanity is in the unique position to choose.

The implication being that mankind is not beholden to being sandwiched as a fixed point between the divine and the demonic, but that he has the ability to choose. Man can be content in his existence as a man, or act no better than a beast, be as wicked as a demon, or perhaps elevate his thoughts and actions to that of an angel. But what does this say of the highest rungs of the celestial order?

>The mental health of a living planet's species are tied to that of the planet itself
>Every catastrophic event drives a planet madder and madder, making it more violent and more unstable
>The more dominant the species, the more pronounced the effects
>Earth is the abused starving orphan of living planets, having suffered at least three times as many extinction-level events as any other
>And now it's developed a sapient species
>The human race is simply the physical manifestation of Earth's desire to commit suicide, which is born from the planet's sheer unending agony from the constant cosmic bombardment it suffers

I do admit difficulty reconciling the idea of a perfect god with a imperfect world

Hey, Earth, Terra, Gia? Whatever you wanna be called, a couple of those are on you and i reject my role as the gun to your brain

Doesn't matter your feelings as to your role, it's your actions that matter. And if those that reject the role will not stop the others then it makes no difference. You don't get points for effort or sentiment when extinction is a pass or fail test.

Edgy.

It's not the will of the planet. We were just corrupted by Lavos

The planet is already dead, just like its brother Mars.

Wuxia exists because a bunch of out of shape monks found yoga boring

A bunch of fairies gather around a big fireplace.

>implying a world which includes brownies, fairies and pixies uses the same thermodynamics as real life

Fairies have district heating.

>because of the inefficiency of keeping smaller fires lit, fairy communities typically develop around a central 'hotpot' room, usually big enough for a single human to crouch in
>this area houses enough room for a single large (by fairy standards) fire pit that is lit and maintained after sunsets or all day during colder seasons
>these hotpot rooms function as social gathering spaces, where an entire village of fairies prepare food in tandem, oftentimes grilling or charring various foodstuffs on a huge (again, by fairy standards) clean-cut slab of stone balanced atop the fire pit
>here is where news is shared, gossip is swapped, romance is confessed, and most importantly a hot dinner is served, before the night lingers long enough for the families to disperse and the roaring fire to be extinguished with dirt or sand

>there have been many humans in the past to mistake a smoking tree-trunk for a potential forest fire and dump water into the hollow knots, having to flee afterwards from a swarm of wrathful (and soaking wet) fairies
>for those who know better, leaving a handful or two of dried kindling or food outside of a smoking tree can earn unexpected friends, especially in the dead of winter

I am gonna steal the shit out of that idea.

I'm glad my first writefaggotry can help, steal away.

Nice.

Same rule would also apply for meeces.

This turned into a comfy thread

you got that wrong, it's the ultimate life.
sin is death, peacefulness is life

you're a retard

> a square and a circle can't mathematically have the same area because of the irregular nature of pi
they can, it is just the method to draw them was not found out... yet

What if Evil is an omnipotent God's best try at creating something even He can't defeat?
Although that just means that I leave out the ultimate good from since if He was the ultimate good, He wouldn't try to pull that shit.

Heythatsprettygood.avi

I feel like one of those communal stumps would be hard to misconstrue as a forest fire, since it's logical for tree faeries to connect their homes to it so as to not have to fly through the cold air, resulting in either shroom houses or more blatant constructions on or around the kitchen.

We're approaching levels of comfiness the likes of which have been unheard of before.

I hate you so much, you little shit.

Myanmar Buddhists say its okay to kill non-Buddhists because they're not really human since they're not Buddhists

religion sucks

In my setting "God" or the creator, came out of the void or non-existence through sheer will. However did not do so alone. Their twin(soul) did so with them and is their opposite in everyway. Where he creates, she destroys, to return existence back into its void state. But on the other hand both contribute to existence as a whole.

There are 6 major gods, 3 that would be considered good and 3 that would be considered evil while infact all are neutral but serve different purposes.

The 3 that are considered good are seen as the 3 pillars of existence. Infact it is suppose to be the 6 pillars of existence.

Without any one of them existence wouldn't be as we know it.

They are the rules/laws/possibilities of existence. Without the God of Death there would be no death but at the same time no life either.

Basically Ying and Yang or for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. good cannot be defined nor perceived without evil. And such and such.

I'm still working on it.

today i learned little people die in cold climates

You are NOT taking this fantasy away from me, you bastard!!

youtube.com/watch?v=hDCWM35pzS4

I like it.

Worry not friend, made it better.

1. What does that have to do with anything
2. So far all they have done is improve Myanmar

Why do you think Domovois are a thing? They don't live in humans' houses for no reason.

If God was truly omnipotent he could create a universe where virtue is significant even without an alternative.

The Problem of Evil really is an immovable, debilitating flaw in Christian theology.

>It's magic
>I ain't gotta explain shit

Stolen.

Maybe read the Dao De Ching?

>From unbeing proceeds being, from being two and from two three.

Meh. Not really.
It's important to remember that pain and suffering isn't evil.

Problem of Evil is often side stepped by theologians, but it isn't really a good argument.

>"Tough" love is the truest form of love.
>Suffering on Earth pails to suffering in hell.
>Allowance of freedom of choice takes precedent over deliverance from the evils of man.
>God isn't able or williing to remake creation.
>God is all loving, but does not commit to protecting your Earthly body from suffering, just your soul.

All arguments that solve "the problem of evil."

They're nature fairies. Any such connections would look like normal forest shit to us, be it roots acting as tunnel, mushroom rooms, etc.

To a human, a smoking stump looks like a smoking stump, looks like an imminent fire.

Wouldn't they use stoves?

>there can be multiple beings of pure actuality

That's not actually that bad of an idea tough. They migrate or ibernate in winter - people don't get the connection and they think they are bringing in spring.

>Suffering on Earth pails to suffering in hell.
Suffering is unnecessary to an omnipotent being, so is hell. Hell was created by God.
>God isn't able
Means no omnipotence.
>God is all loving
If God is all loving that means; torture, rape and genocide [things created by God or created by byproducts of God which God would have seen before creation being omnipotent could have avoided but didn't] are also love.

>uncomfterble
>slighlty

No actually it was mathematically proven. You can't do it

They could use candles as a heat source alternative. Tealight candles don't burn that quickly.

It's because pi goes on infinitely, thus you cannot get a concrete number. If we somehow found the end of pi, then we would be able to do it.

>what is a candle?
Many people are triggered but you didn't think this trough
In fact there are people on YouTube that cook mini dishes using candles as heat source

>this arguments I pulled from my ass cover any weakness in my doctrine.
Part of me would like to study theology or one of those mystic religions but the other part knows it will be chewing bullshit until I believe it

Three or four candles can boil water in a pot.

I was poor

I'll start by saying these are different problems than the problem of evil.

>Hell was created by God.
Hell isn't mentioned to be created by anyone in the Bible. Whether it exists, is the same as common Christian belief, or is the same place as the lake of fire of Revelations is all questionable.

>Means no omnipotence.
God's omnipotence is never mentioned in the Bible.

>Blah blah terrible things... are also love.
Yup. Terrible things happen, but God still loves you.

Uh, a circle of radius 1 and a square of side length π^0.5 have the same area.

You have it all wrong.

Squaring the circle refers to the ability of using basic operations of a compass (you know, that freemason thing) to perform the operation. This is from memory of some youtube math video (Numberphile, maybe) I saw several months ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring_the_circle

Math breaks down into "fuck everything" paradoxes when you have more methodologies/theories/logics that are less constrained (where a compass is heavily restricted). For a related example... By raping statistics/probability you can theoretically calculate pi by randomly tossing enough darts at a circle inside a square (though it's a simple fraction in other maths)... But it can only be achieved by using an infinite amount of darts (any finite amount of darts results in a fraction that is close-but-not-exactly-pi).

I think I saw a video (Numberphile, again) where you can use origami to perform mathematical operations that a compass cannot.

If you use more complicated/nuanced/less-constrained/abstract math techniques you do magic (and usually infinity is involved somehow, always is). Check this bullshit out (vsauce):

youtube.com/watch?v=s86-Z-CbaHA

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Gotta post this.

Jesus dude, how poor do you have to be?

I don't care about any of that, a big fireplace is NOT a miniature fireplace. Those fairies are better off dead.

Sounds interesting will take a gander

Gehenna was a literal place God cursed for being full of Baal worshipers and pagan sacrifice.

Not all religions assume their deities are omnipotent. Hell (no pun intended), American christianity is all terrified of concepts like the devil and the antichrist as though they 'oppose' the christian god.

this asshole just called us elves

>evil exists because free will cannot exist without it, you have to have the choice
>god is the entire universe because he got really fucking bored being all powerful knowing everything and made a universe he's only cognizently aware of in a single slice of time - the present - so that he can never alter the past to his likeing, or see into the future to change the present. He only did this because otherwise it's way too boring

You are human, created by a powerful being. Even if God doesn't exist in the form of a religious divine, the universe exists and God still exists as a set of rules and as existence itself,perhaps not consciousness as we understand it but then again we are humans and don't understand everything in the universe yet. Hell we only proved there were 5 states of matter in the 90's. Meaning there could still be more and we aren't 100% clear on what the universe consists of yet.

Complaining about suffering and all the bullshit is equal to bitching about your parents placing a curfew on you or grounding you when u do something wrong
>I did nothing wrong, others humans cause suffering to other humans
And yet instead of ignoring it, you complain about it, you should become an advocate for world peace.

Have some humility.

>I didn't ask to be born
Memes aside. That is irrelevant, you exist now you will never re enter your state of non existence as you will either live on as a legacy, a memory or a log in the government's archives.

Even in the Christian mythos your argument is invalid. Adam and Eve existed in the Garden of Eden. Both sinned by breaking the one rule. Good exists becuase Evil does and back then the only evil act that could be performed at that moment was eating from the apple.
>Why did God place the apple
Becuase freewill. There can be no freewill without consequence. It's how it works.
>But technically he punished them for a rule he created to punish them if they break it no other purpose.
He had one rule and they broke it.

When God created Freewill he created the potential of any possibility including evil becuase without the choice of evil it isn't true freewill. God created Evil so that freewill could exist. He created evil as potential not as an absolute.

Even the Angels had free will. But there is no freewill without consequence.

Cont.

>Earth used to have a handful of humanoid races until our success drove all the others to extinction
>Multiple humanoids cannot coexist for long, and especially not as they are portrayed in most Fantasy fiction

God doesn't owe you anything
>He created me, h-he better take responsibility, baka
He created you and since you are posting you probably had parents or someone to raise you. Blame your parents or something. Not the guy who made the formula.
>His formula sucks
His formula includes freewill, without it you wouldn't even be able to complain about it or even enjoy your favourite thing.

>A true God could create good without evil and nobody would suffer
I'm sorry I'm just going to assume something here so forgive if its not true.

You are probably just mad that God didn't create an existence where you are served by Angels, every meal is your best meal ever, every angel is 10/10 and wants to do you, God let's you do whatever you want all day everyday

That just sounds like you want God to be subservient to you. When infact you are his creation. That likes having children and letting them run the show.

God understands that perfection like that is not true perfection for there's nothing to compare it to. If every meal is your best meal then every meal is average, if every angel is 10/10 then every angel is average. If God let you do what you want every day that would be pretty sweet but then again it's wrong for a God to bow down to men like that.

We are creations of God we owe him everything and him to us, nothing.

Evil exists becuase of Freewill.

Without Freewill you would not hate, enjoy or even think, you would be like a pc, not even an AI just a rudimentary program with no purpose because in the end God could have done it his self better.

You purpose is to have Freewill.

>A perfect God would create perfect freewill where nobody is evil.

That's not how freewill works in any form, it's potential. Our freewill in its purest form is perfect.

Listen even if you do TLDR all I'm asking is have some humility, God is much more important than us. Even if he is Evil he doesn't have to answer us. At worst God is nuetral.

So just reduce the available oxigen (put a mesh over/around it or something)? You could also cook over smolders.

>We raped, killed, and ate all other intelligent species to extinction.
>Maybe not even in that order.

Humanity: Fuck yeah threads were right.

So the urban fantasy "all the magic stuff is behind a masquerade" setup was right all along?

that's some good shit.

>we are humans and don't understand everything in the universe yet. Hell we only proved there were 5 states of matter in the 90's. Meaning there could still be more and we aren't 100% clear on what the universe consists of yet.

"We don't know everything, therefore God exists."

Lolwut. No, that doesn't follow at all, you moron. You should've stopped at "we don't know everything", because that's as solid as your argument gets. From that starting point.

Yeah, we don't know everything. Maybe God does exist. At the same time, maybe he doesn't. After all, we don't know everything. The writers of the Bible could have been mistaken. It could happen - they were only human, after all.

Yes, because every setting ever follows the exact same rules as our own universe!

>People actually believe this

Calm down autist, no one said to go rewrite your fanfiction.

user I agree. Im agnostic. My whole point is not to prove that God exists but to prove he is not evil if he does.

And in the mere fact that the universe exists I believe is enough to identify the universe as God. Like I said God might be existence itself and a set of rules more than a conscious omnipotent being.

I don't see it edgy at all user. I think it's sort of poetic.

The sapience that earth created also invented Mutually Assured Destruction.

In trying to kill itself, it made a bunch of societies who sat at a table to play Russian Roulette, but they're so busy looking at each others cocks they forgot about the gun.

There's a reason that they're called the bonfire people.

Scientologists shoo!

Well free will is by necessity impossible in combination with the existance of a omniscient being.