/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Thoughts on Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TZrh6eooyrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm pretty out of the loop, when is all of the XGE stuff going to be on 5etools?

No UA today then?

>Wake up.
>SOME leaks.
>Still no Samurai.

I posted it last thread, are you blind?

Why use Goliaths when they could be a race of attractive, fun-loving oni instead?

I JUST WOKE UP, GIMMIE A BREAK.
I'LL GO LOOK, CHEERS MY DUDE.

Does anyone have a collection of leaks from today? Sorry I was at training all day and really don't want to comb through last few threads.

>weeb shit
no thanks

Is there anything an oni does that the goliath stat block doesn't cover?

>Thoughts on Xanathar's Guide to Everything?
Subclasses I want to play:
College of Swords
Grave Domain
Cavalier
Kensei
Shadow Sorcerer

Imagine the possibilities. Imagine the revelries!

>tfw DAM cancelled all sessions indefinitely
>tfw no one cares enough to organize a new game except for me and everyone just ignores me because they don't want to do anything but play video games and shit
>tfw I'll probably never play DnD again in the foreseeable future
Okay.

I want to give my players an airship

is this a good/bad idea?

Be cute.

When you have multiple oni in your party, it becomes a party party! Drinks, hugs, and kanabo for everyone!

Which oni qt is your favorite oni qt?

>the phone keeps autocorrecting DM to DAM

Looks pretty cool.
Rangers should have gotten more cool exclusive spells, Tenser's Transformation should give an extra attack like Haste instead of just 2 attacks per round, Steelwind Strike should do weapon damage, War Wizard's fake-shield seems a bit OP, but overall I'm pretty pumped especially for the subclasses and new feats.

No, it's going to be the second Monday of every month from now on. They had an article about it a few weeks ago.

>keeping autocorrecting on
it's your fault

And it autocorrected tfw to the.
>tfw

Oh ok, thanks. I was getting very upset

I had combed through to two threads back to find it just as you post it.
Nice anyway. The Fighting Spirit nerf is a shame but not too unexpected, the level 10 skill being completely fucking butchered is the real travesty.
I can only hope they slightly buffed the level 7 skill, though it being cut-off will leave it as a mystery for now.

Still no Shadow Sorcerer leaks?

Conquest paladin leaks?

Look, big, muscular red women who enjoy drinking and fighting are nice, but do they really need to be represented in 5e?

You know the drill, lads

Post characters you want to play and what class/background/archetype you envision for them.

no :/

Can pretty much just play an Orc and reskin it as an Oni

Triton Samurai

MOOOOOOOOODS

This is not a PDF copy of the book. It's just the cover, and then the same home brew shit (D&D 5e cat girls) spammed as pages repeatedly over and over again.

>Nerf the duration+damage resist.
>Ok fine.
>Nerf it to long rest.
Why the FUCK.
Superiority Die are short rest, and Battlemaster continues to dominate Fighter.

would it be OP to let Warlocks change their invocations after a long rest? Kinda like how divine casters can swap their spells known?

Why use either when you could use AD&D Firbolgs?

Aasimar Favored Soul Sorcerer/Acolyte

:/

>Battlemaster continues to dominate Fighter
Cavalier is better and Arcane Archer is not far behind BM even after the nerfs

what's wrong with her face

>samurai nerfed to shit
>both it and cavalier use their bonus action a lot
Well I guess there goes my kensei/samurai multiclass

I personally don't think so, because I've played a Warlock from level 5 all the way to 17 and believe me - they need all the help they can get.

That said, I wouldn't allow for a swap after a long rest. I'd allow for a swap after an extended period of "downtime" for all the characters.

I heard the Hound of Ill Omen ability was printed as it was in the UA

I think it is cool, actually.
It will probably shift the game somewhat - for example now they can travel safely (unless, of course, you have airship pirates youtube.com/watch?v=TZrh6eooyrg ) and have base of operations.

It depends also on whether they want to have some bond (for airship will presumably require some attention) in or prefer to be fully pledged orphaned murderhobos who cares about noone.

I think Storm Kinds Thunder module does it, too, so it is not terrible idea. I think it

fuck, didn't notice until you said something.

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Wanna play kensei, hexblade, college of blades, shadow sorcerer, horizon walker

Oh, glad to hear it.

What are your thoughts on the ability and the class in general? Im debating using it in my next game.

str mod/long rest is not a lot

Once you get to level 10 it becomes alright being once per fight at the very least, nothing amazing but it becomes equal tier to them then at least. The level 7 might also be really good.

Knight looks awesome though, two abilities keyed off different sources and a bunch of extra shit? Seems mad for a Sword and Board.

Did they at least give the arcane shots (number known/number of uses) more scaling?

Well, my players fell for my master plan.
They outright slew a charlatan posing as a necromancer in the employ of one of the leaders of the town they are in, and now are neck deep in my political plot.
I wager I managed to envelop them properly, they are invested in the town and it's structure, and feel guilt over killing a teenager.
>hurr all political games are dumb!
Do it right, shitlords.

That's what really strikes me as bizzare. I mean, a fucking Warlock can get 5 temporary hitpoints twice a short rest from level 1 if they waste all their time on Armor of Agathys. It's not like advantage for a single turn is even that crazy when you can easily just do a battlemaster trip attack at that.

I really don't get why they changed it. If anything, the UA version felt a little weak in some spots.

I like the flavor

Being harder to kill is nice
Hound is pretty strong
Shadowform is edgy but cool

Dex based Cavalier fighter, Soldier background, archery focus. Gonna play me a Mongol horse archer.

No...

still hunting for inquisitive rogue leaks

I want to implement leveled combat hirelings in a West Marches style campaign and I'm not sure what restrictions I should place on it.

Tiefling Warlock (hexblade: hand crossbow)

user, I...

My only guess is that the way they're balancing classes is not just judging the class all by itself, and how it stacks up versus other classes - but they also take into consideration would would happen if the new classes is multi-classed with other things.

Sorry dude, Cavaliers abilities now specifically work Strength times per rest and they need a Shield to use their other abilities.

I'm not holding out hope for the level 7 being great after they nerfed both the level 3 and 10 skills. Especially since it at least originally was just "You can add Wis to Cha checks when talking to nobles. Also gain one History/Insight/Persuasion prof or a language."

Genuinely a bit baffled by their decision, but I'll live with it.

The annoying part for Knight is that for some reason the Mark punishment is Strength times per long rest. 5 fucking times per day at best in most cases. Even if it's with advantage and deals extra damage, that's still pretty limiting for something that's supposed to be a punishment for ignoring you.

You near central Virginia/Hampton Roads by any chance, user?

Looks pretty good! Loads of fluff which makes me happy and a lot of the classes look great!

With the loss of the Stone Sorcerer, but gain of Absorb Elements, I'm trying to figure out a way to get Thunderous Smite on my Draconic Sorcerer/Hexblade Bladelock now.

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything

This is the first time 5e's had me hyped in a while.

On that note, do you have any homebrew rules in common between your games? Do you consider any homebrew out there "essential"?

>Be cute.
How do you want to see an oni's cuteness be represented mechanically?

Oni at least need resistance to poisoning (alcohol). Also they have varying sorts of magic in their myths.

WARDING MANEUVER

>[...]if you are wielding a ??? or a shield

For what purpose

A cold, stiff, stern, and even harsh and callous character accustomed (though not outright enjoying) of getting their hands dirty for the sake of family/the party and nevertheless gives faith to [insert god of rebirth/renewal/something in that ballpark that I haven't picked out yet] that hails from a similarly cold and harsh land .

Sea Sorcerer, Noble background.

It deals a lot of damage and you also get the 7th level feature

Samurai might have been a little front-loaded, but I don't think the answer to that was to gimp it to the degree that it'd almost always be worse than a 3 level dip in battlemaster. Besides, it's not even like you can abuse it that much, since it's specifically weapon attack rolls and only for one round. It's a weaker option than something like Barbarogue that can get advantage more consistently even if it were 3 times per short rest, and a rogue who doesn't have the stats and wanted to go fighter could just as easily use two weapons and trip attack to not only give themselves advantage more frequently, but also give it to their allies to a degree while also letting them hamper foes.

I see absolutely no reason to take Samurai as a multiclass. About the only things it has going for it are the fact that it recovers the uses of it more frequently by level 10 compared to a battlemaster. It would have felt a lot better if it just started as once per short rest and then scaled up to 3 per short rest by level 10, since that would probably give a similar result.

Something weapon?

Maybe Light weapon? Though it looks like it says mount weapon but that's not a thing.

See, I felt that way too, but now it's taken so long that I've just lost interest again.

It's less then it was before, but now you have much, much better abilities later on which is nice. Besides it's finally a Fighter where a Mountain Dwarf for 20 STR and CON at level 8 is amazing.

Really hoping it's Reach Weapon but I'll take Heavy weapon, too.

To help them carry more loot. Fill in roles that the current party might not have. To give Charisma a purpose. Something to spend money on because gold in 5e has almost no purpose.

> Play Tomb of Annihilation with friends
> Do a side quest in such a way that the ramifications of my actions seemingly pop up every session
> The group constantly points out how X is all my fault because of it

Ah yes, the level 7 feature which is Con times per day for something the Protection fighting style almost does for free. Making you more MAD on top of all of your daily abilities.

I don't know. It just feels like it takes too much time to really become good at what it wants to be doing.

I think a widely accepted houserule are:
Drinking potions as bonus actions.
Shorter short rests (5-10 minutes) Technically this is a DMG optional rule, but people don't change Long Rest's duration

>Do you consider any homebrew out there "essential"?
Some love Matt Mercer's resurrection rules as they make resurrections possible, but no trivial as in some people's games.

Also, stay the fuck away from DMG's Flanking rules and Spell Points, those are awful.

Need that PDF in the next 24 hours, got a level up before next session. Come on peeps, need some new sorc spells

Oh it probably is Reach, because Lances have Reach. Heavy could make sense as well though.

GAAAAAAAY!

Is it feasible to still do this in another archetype like battlemaster or champion?

also its entirely about hitting things with a melee weapon, so ranged is out of the question altogether

I like that it's THP, it should just be stronger.

I'm pretty sure it's "melee weapon"

What class is he

What are Mercer's resurrection rules?

Also, yes, of course, ice-themed.

>but no trivial as in some people's games
They sure seem trivial in his

Fagotron 9000

>samurai x
>what class is he

Cavalier was always knight-based and keyed off melee weapons so it was a dumb idea anyway. Yes, go battlemaster or arcane archer.

melee weapon.
There's no way it's "heavy" or "reach" as the first/last letter doesn't looks like a h.

>Shorter short rests (5-10 minutes)
How would the spell Catnap work then? Apparently, its a 3rd level spell that makes it so 3 creatures can take a short rest in 10 minutes.

>Matt Mercer's resurrection rules
Could you sum it up for me?