/l5rg/ - Legend of the Five Rings General

Spoiler waiting room.

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Other urls found in this thread:

cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/illustrious-plagiarist-r2274
imgur.com/gallery/n9Qgs
imgur.com/gallery/8QiNu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A bit early, the prior thread hadn't died yet.

>Ikoma Eiji

Thats not news. He was on stream as trying to use him.

>For Rokugan
What did he mean by this?

Threadly reminder that Ikoma Eiji is a bad card.

Leaks when!?

Thread Question;

Would you get (Back, if it applies) into Old5R if it essentially became "freeware"? (print off cards you need, sets are released with no monetary setbacks/limitations, continuation of where the story left off)

You can stop now.

I will be back next thread to remind you

No, because the story was at the bottom of a long downward spiral and had just finished fixing a drill to the front of itself so there would be no slowdown when it hit the dirt.

So is Art of Peace good now?

Where's the verdict /crane/

I heard there is some PC implementation of old5r, even with AI, but don't want to study the rules which are even more cluttered than nu5r and bother reading "essays" on cards.

The only thing "complicated" about old l5r was reaction timing.

>Would you get (Back, if it applies) into Old5R if it essentially became "freeware"?
You mean like if there were programs to play it online? (which there are)

... I wouldn't.

Freeware implies supported.

Programs like Egg of Panku are not supported.

Excuse me if I don't start tickling my arsehole at the difference.

I don't like it in my builds.
If you really want to set up noble sacrifice, or play the ashani storyteller it might be useful, but I found people will just not overcommit to it, also it is a farmable province.
Useful against Lion and Unicorn.

I heard there’s 1 cost and a 5 cost scorpion conflict character coming. Any news on that?

Spoilers are going to be released on 2359 Wednesday night, your time.

The Meek Informant is in the first pack. Haven’t heard anything on a 5 cost, possibly Kachiko?

My disputer called and said they are delivering the packs today. Getting all 6 in one delivery since they only deliver to me once a month. I will crack packs once they come in so we can get real spoilers.

My uncle works for FFG and he’s totally bringing all the packs home tonight, so I’ll get you guys those spoilers.

I hate Lion so much.

I feel you user.

Most of their decks are unfun to play against, and if the pilot isn't getting good draws, they'll let you know with some real throaty huffs lemme tell ya.

Then you have the genuinely cool, yet seemingly so rare, Lion players that realise this is a game and not pro-tour MTG.

the sour grapes is real

>Have "That Guy" at my "secondary" LGS
>Plays Lion splash Crane
>It's an okay deck, his attitude though;
>Get told to fuck off in a non-serious game of L5R because I missed a sincerity draw
>Huffs and acts like it's the end of the world when his HonGen loses status because of Shameful Display
>[Spoiler]Says the game is bullshit when they get trampled over by a Unicorn player.[/spoiler]

Okay.

>Fucking up spoiler

God damn it.

I believe in you user

God damn!!

Cool ability, love it

i'm kinda shocked l5r has a thread on Veeky Forums, but pretty happy to see it

i think it's been about a decade since i played, is the game still alive, and do they still allow story to be dictated by tournaments and all that jazz?

are my copies of draw your blade worth anything :^)

AEG drove itself into the ground to the point that they had to sell L5R to FFG. So there's a new LCG that just released this year. I think the old CCG is dead in most locations. It's been dead here for years anyway.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

So you can have Let Go on a fucking stick? That's nuts.

Hello!

AEG's L5R died out, and FF acquired it - so OldL5R is pretty much dead. All your old value cards will only be collector value now instead of meta/kitchen table.

Story was reset, but they are carrying on the "player driven" story aspect. It's pretty simple as of now, but I hope to see more in depth stories where games actually told a story of how a conflict was won, rather than just "pre written A or B".

You must not be paying much attention. L5R Generals have been sporadically happening for years. They are particularly active now because a new game has recently been launched. L5R was sold by AEG to Fantasty Flight Games last year and just re-launched as a Living Card game. Your old cards are worth exactly jack and shit. And yeah Storyline tournaments are still a thing.

>So you can have Let Go on a fucking stick? That's nuts.

Not quite it won't persist past the phase, but it's a really good ability nonetheless.

that actually really makes me a bit sad. the last local store i went to closed back in 07 or so, i was pretty young, but i've always held really fond memories of l5r. always felt that it deserved more attention than it got, but maybe i just wasn't looking in the right places.

clearly this happened because Tomorrow happened, rip best clan.

Is the current story still keeping the same timeline going or was it a hard reboot? if it's a reboot, i hope the clans are at least carrying on the same spirit as they always have.

i just recently even started checking Veeky Forums, and did a search for l5r because it's been on my mind lately more than usual, just surprising is all.

Your opponent also has to let it happen. This card is going to create interesting jockeying for position with regards to the top event of your opponent's discard pile.

Just be glad that Scorpion don't have access to targeted discard like Kitsuki Investigator yet

>Hard Reboot
Yeah, fresh start. No Mantis at all yet.

Still, Disdainful Remark, Voice of Honor - hell, Edict if you're playing the mirror.

It only copies abilities that start with "Action:"

cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/illustrious-plagiarist-r2274

Oh, that actually makes sense.

I read it as in "That card's "action's" abilities"

As in anything the card could do.

The Nezumi were one of the worst factions. They aren't as retarded as the Spider but you can get out-out of here with that shit.

>No Mantis at all yet.
WHY GOD

Hopefully they do justice to the old stuff, at least before it apparently went downhill

Crazy how looking back i still can hardly pinpoint exactly which clan was my favorite (besides Ratling), it's hard to even rank them.

Is the new game looking to be different mechanically?

Spider can eat 10 dicks

but as far as the stuff I had the most fun with, i only vaguely remember.

I know I loved Ratling, and I played a ton of Mantis and Scorpion.

Scorpion is best real-clan :^)

Yeah. FFG really needs to get better at actually writing cards. I mean under current dev rulings Pit Trap doesn't even work with the text it's previewed with.

>Different mechanically?
You should watch at least one game, because it's quite different.

Some user before said that Old5R was an Old yet functional Car, but Nu5R is an elegant kiddy tricycle.

>If an Illustrious Plagiarist ever manages to acquire a Way of the Dragon (such as through Calling in Favors), then not only can he copy two abilities (they don’t even need to be different!) but each copied ability can be used twice. If you ever manage to pull this off then eat your heart out – just imagine a turn with four free Mirumoto’s Fury or Let Go!

Fucking kek

old5R's functionality varied a lot over the course of its life. It could be quite the clusterfuck at times.

They rebooted to riiiiight before the Scorpion coup.

>doesn't even work with the text it's previewed with.
...how? it seems pretty clear.

"Attach to a character you control" is confirmed to be discarded if it is ever on a character you don't control. Attachment restrictions are constant checks - if they ever are broken, the attachment is discarded.

The moment the conflict Pit Trap is attached during ends, the attached character is no longer attacking, and you can figure out what happens then.

I think this is one of the cases where if the card breaks a game rule, the rule is overruled in favor of the card.

Yet it was still functional, I never played it, but I watched a couple of games. Seemed fine to me.

what the fuck even happened after whatever edition this guy is from? I forget which this was, but it was after lotus and it was the last one i had a chance to play.

the cards look so ugly and everything seems horrendous and why does kisada have only 7 force

it never struck me as too fucked, and the lgs i used to play at had some pretty serious players (a non-zero chance of winning important tournaments etc)

it's been an extremely long time so i might just be failing to remember, dunno.

well hopefully ffg doesn't fuck things up too badly.

that sounds really horrible but i'll look into it, maybe i'll try out the game some time

Considering that by the end of the AEG run the ENTIRE empire had left Rokugan, I think the consensus is that ffg probably CAN'T fuck it up harder than AEG did.

The problem with that is that for that to work, the card has to SAY that it's breaking the rule. A line of text saying something like "this attachment stays attached while the attached character is no longer attacking" would fix it. But without such a clause, we have no guideline for how to resolve the issue on the card itself.

It was always good but just competed with the same element for the neutral provinces that were actually quite good and useful to have as well. Now with seeker of air you can run both.

...the fuck is "For Rokugan"?

These are amazing

Please post more amazing Unicorn art

Hang onto them first edition banzais folks.

>I think this is one of the cases where if the card breaks a game rule, the rule is overruled in favor of the card.

It's one of the cases where the designers were not taking rulings into account when setting the wording of a card and ended up with a card that does not function as intended. They'll have to either contradict/clarify the earlier ruling, errata the card, or leave it not working.

Dammit user you almost caused me a heart attack. Thank the kami that Banzai! is actually on the decklist.

Oh shit, but there are 43 cards in the conflict deck... I have a bad feeling about this...

On the FFG forum, somebody had an image of Benies' handwritten deck list submission. He wrote "2x Fine Katana", but his handwriting is shit and looks like "For Rokugan", and then a FFG inyern fucked up by putting both "Fine Katana" and "For Rokugan".

Thank you for clarifying.

>Fuck up handwriting so bad your opponent can't tell what's in your decklist during the pregane check

Next level play

Get the fuck out, fucking piece of shit liar

imgur.com/gallery/n9Qgs

hot spoilers!

I hate you

That's a picture of a cat.

Eww, she's all hairy and stuff

imgur.com/gallery/8QiNu

sorry that was the wrong link. Here is L5R.

>Considering that by the end of the AEG run the ENTIRE empire had left Rokugan, I think the consensus is that ffg probably CAN'T fuck it up harder than AEG did.
The player base in general has always been too precious with anything that would break the immediate status quo, but eventually return to it. As clan-identifying groups, fans have always wanted the results up front at no expense with no hardship or drawbacks. That's bit them just as hard as it helped them, and often bit them while looking like it's about to do anything else.

Not letting Hitomi be the villainess she was supposed to be was a catalyst for protest against unwanted change, and even that far back it was fucking with the storylines that were warped by it. The Hidden Emperor arc is widely considered shit because the main villain was the Lying Darkness and the nonsensical situation of it kidnapping the emperor. That was supposed to be Hitomi. Khan's March? (not) Supported by the Dragon. (quick, write the Mantis in ... everyone else will be harder to justify) Etc.

This continued the length of the CCG - rough story arc outlines that were intended for certain characters, but then had to be altered to fit someone (or something) else. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it worked in the short term. Sometimes the fanbase was just cheering on a derailed train, hurtling along as it billowed flames across the official fiction. What it always managed, however, was a totally expectable NAMBY attitude to anything immediately unwanted.

Heck, even the Race For The Throne ended with a Dragon win in part because (towards the end) it became known the Spider would be "disbanded as a great clan" if they did. Who stopped to question how that meant more story time for the Spider and "return" to being a great clan?

AEG fucked up, but they did it with our constant "help".

Why is it always Lion getting good cards?

you should buy a new cat tree

FFG hates Unicorn or something.

So it's challenger but more expensive and worse?

Harpooning dashed guys to inappropriate conflicts seems amusing. You pull them in, they instantly go home bowed and you still get your man in.

Pretty sure you can't do that, they're not eligible targets for the other harpoons

So this ability ONLY fires if there are legal targets on each side, right?

Geeze. And I thought scorpion having to pay 4 for a 1/3 was bad.

Can't move dash characters into conflicts they have dashes in.

Well then never mind, he's a coaster.

Wouldn't it work similarly to Shameful Display? Choose a dash character on the opponent's side, normal on yours. Your gets moved, opponent's stays.

I genuinely don't know. My gut says you can, but FFG has weird rules about intention.

Hm. That might work in the case of dashes, but I think there still need to be two ready, non-participating characters under 2 cost, one on each side for it to fire.

Because they can't be chosen as a "character" to satisfy the portion before the dash. Completely ineligible for targeting.

Overcosted for what he does.
The more I see Lion and Scorpion previews, the more I'm baffled what the hell they are planning in the long run for Unicorn.

Yeah, Shameful is easier, as dishonor/honor are separated. Still, this one doesn't say "move both", but "move each", so I feel like it should work similarly to SD.

Yes I believe that would be legal. You meet the targeting requirements and the effect has potential to change game state. Then you resolve as much of the effect as possible.

What? Of course they can, they are ready and cost 2 or lower, nothing about dashes there.

>so I feel like it should work similarly to SD.
It does not. SD gets around targeting restrictions because of bullshit quantum shit - it has no idea which character is getting honored and which is getting dishonored when you pick targets, so as long as one of those affects the targets then it's a legal target, regardless of what you end up doing.

This just moves the target to the conflict. If the target can't be moved, then it isn't a legal target, 100% full stop.

You can target two honored characters with SD, so you are not right.

>why does kisada have only 7 force
It's Military strength. Province strength is no longer based on your stronghold as each province card has its own strength and ability. The rules are not the same as Old5R but still keeps some fundamental aspects of the game.

That's because both characters could be dishonored, therefore they're both legal targets. Targets are evaluated individually.

There is not a question here. You absolutely cannot target a dash with Tadaji because there is no potential for the ability to affect that character. It's the same reason Tatsuo can't move another character in while he's participating.

Because both honored characters could potentially be picked as the dishonor target. Dash character cannot possibly enter the challenge under any circumstances so it's not a legal target.

Let's revisit the exact ruling on SD.

>Shameful Display can always be triggered as long as there are at least 2 participating characters. Its effects always have the potential to change the game state, and two targets are always eligible because each one can be affected individually (each character can be either honored or dishonored).

>When you resolve Shameful Display's ability, you need to change the game state in some way, but you do not need to successfully resolve both parts of the effect. For example, you can honor one character and [fail to] dishonor an already dishonored character, or vice versa.

The first parts does specifically mention the need for two eligible characters, so I think is right after all.

Although I would agree, that SD does think about eligibility on targeting according to the ruling, so need to check with FFG.
100th time we need the ruling from them, can't they fucking write cards and rules so that it would be easy to understand all the shit?

Yeah, see here Why would FFG make all this shit cards?

This one doesn't need a check; it's perfectly understandable by the RRG. It's the same situation as Tatsuo when he's already participating. Tatsuo can't use his ability because it requires him to target himself, and he won't be affected, so he isn't a legal target.

Because their design team is literally one dude in a cubicle and he answers rules questions on his smoke break. They don't splurge on shit like "proper templating" fucking lol

Yeah, Tatsuo ruling 100% confirms this.