A player chooses to ignore the meta of the game, and chooses to make a character based on what he solely wants IC...

A player chooses to ignore the meta of the game, and chooses to make a character based on what he solely wants IC, even if it means making a sub-optimal character. His focus is on the roleplay and story aspects.

Would you as a DM be more lenient towards this character and show some favoritism?

Only if I like him.

Tsunderes are one of the worst character archetypes to ever come out of Japan.

>giving special treatment to people who do what they're supposed to do in the first place

The only "reward" I give players like this is incorporating as much of their backstory into the game as I can. Not because of favoritism, but because he's implicitly the only one who put in any legwork.

nah famalam, I've heard that good rp comes from conflict, and what better conflict is there than getting your ass handed to you by some gobbos?

Well, the "meta" of the game i play allows for flavorful options to be relevant, doesn't have retardedly huge gap between "tiers", doesn't have "roll 1d20 then add +100 in modifiers" problem and doesn't attract absolutely autistic munchkins, so it's fine if characters are sub-optimal.

Even if he has magic user with abysmal mental stats, he can be useful in some other way.

I tend to play systems that reward players for roleplaying their character traits, personality and convictions, rather than minmaxing optimal problem-solver. So there is no need for it in the first place.

>smug antiD&D fags
Fuck off.

This. If you're after actual roleplaying, play literally anything except DnD. DnD is a dungeon-crawler built off the legacy of a wargame, it's not a roleplaying game.

In before the DnDrone Defense Squad comes screeching that I'm wrong even though everything I said is objectively true.

tsun-tsun

>Assblasted DnDrones playing apologist for their shitty game that's literally holding the entire medium back.
Fuck off.

Would I be lenient towards that charater? As much as I am towards anyone.

Would the other players who have characters that are not only meta but also fun in RP be lenient towards that character? I don't know, that's their choice to make.

No but I'd be much more cruel to the minmaxers who are more interested in power fantasies

>Meta
>Good in RP

Oh boi, can't wait to hear my 9000th justification for why a Paladin is also worshipping an Eldritch abomination for Warlock levels.

If by favoritism you mean tailoring the entirely arbitrary difficulty of the campaign to match the party's composite powerlevel then yes, I would

Your game is shit IMHO, but if you enjoy it then why should you care about anyone else's opinion on it ? Good for you

>tabletop rpg's
>"Meta"
Does not compute, OP. Does not compute at all.

I'm going to make a 10 Str Halfling Fighter and it will be as effective as the wizard at handling both combat and non-combat challenges!

Probably. At least he's embracing the spirit of tabletop, even if you'd never fucking need ranks in Expression or Politics in a Hunter: The Vigil game.

>No mention of DnD anywhere
If the cap fits

>Game has a "meta"
Does this cancer exists largely outside of Pathfinder and D&D? It sounds like some shit you would find in MTG or LoL, not a RPG.

It's inherent to any system with mechanics. That you dislike it or choose to remain ignorant of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

"Strange. Dr. Freud its strange the previous poster didn't mention DnD in his post, yet when presented with the key words 'autistic munchkins' and 'minmaxing' he immediately assumed they were talking about DnD. Could this be projecting?"

>Nark nark ur character shit because you put numbers here and there is no crunch rewarding not being the best because shitty d20 only rewards power gaming.

I'd hate to be you and the people I play rpgs with. I should go thank god that other rpgs exist that reward roleplaying and the struggling of heroes, as opposed to biggest numbers punching each other till someone's spells/hp runs out.

Dex based builds can work with a halfling, you know. Mounted builds too (and they are sometimes compatible).

No way to be as versatile as the wizard with a fighter, though.

Yeah I'd be more lenient.
A few stray dice rolls that should've killed him will probably miss.

Good PCs get some light plot armor at my table. I play with a lot of careful players, so I'll secretly reward a little braveness every once in a while. Better stories come out of bravery than discretion.

Of course, that's in reference to my current group. Every group is different, so these rules can't be universal. Context is for kings.

That is one smug vampire.

You could easily do that with high Dex in 5e and out damage the rest of the party at low-mid levels, and depending on which archetype you pick, you could bring a lot of utility to the party as well.

>In before the DnDrone Defense Squad comes screeching that I'm wrong even though everything I said is objectively false
FTFY. I'm not claiming that D&D is GOOD in any way, but claiming that it isn't a roleplaying game is just utterly retarded.

It's a "roleplaying" game in the same way console games are *technically* videogames.

To be fair D&D Basic was literally just roll stats and choose a class. It didn't have any of the obsession with builds and munchkinery that 3.5/Pathfinder and 5e (3.5 lite) seem to encourage. OP is a weaboo faggot so I suppose that it was inevitable.

...But console games are videogames. What the fuck are you talking about?

He's saying DnD is like playing an incomplete game locked at 30 frames per second with no customization options, cool mod content, or actual fun.

Meanwhile you could play a PC game (AKA anything that's not DnD) and have all those things for free.

The amount of false equivalence in this post is so absurd humans will not be able to calculate the actual number in our lifetime.

>DnDrone actually believe this whenever anyone has valid criticisms of their shitstem of choice.

As a PC gamer who mostly plays non-D&D systems, this doesn't make any fucking sense.

Not gonna lie user, thats the first ive heard of that and that sounds like a rad character.

Godlike tastes, right here.

How sub-optimal are we talking? So long as their character's mechanically functional and the player is still competent at the game, then they won't have any trouble keeping up.

fpbp

As a DM, I wouldn't. If you don't want to optimize, don't play D&D.

As a GM, I don't have to.

This sounds like a sweet character concept if it jives with the GM's world.