EDH/COMMANDER General

Selesnya is Cool Edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What one specific color combination would you consider to be the worst subjectively speaking? Is there one in your local meta that unequivocally proves your choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyadox/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-09-17-selenia-dark-angel/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vampire-swarm-4/
officedepot.com/a/products/212881/Office-Depot-Brand-Inkjet-Window-Decals/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sram-goes-on-a-shopping-spree-and-dies-the-movie/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>What one specific color combination would you consider to be the worst subjectively speaking?

Boros.
Has the most weaknesses of any color combo, and doesn't have any breakout amazing Commanders to offset them.

Clearly stated, but spells/abilities that do not target go on the stack without you having to "pick a target" Your opponent has to respond to that per normal.

Once the spell/ability resolves, its too late for your opponents to respond.

>thread question
Personally I hate anything with blue and white but blue green is the ultimate cancer

Watch out, the Boros babies might come and accost you and tell you Kalemne and Depala are worthwhile and not at all bad.

>What one specific color combination would you consider to be the worst subjectively speaking? Is there one in your local meta that unequivocally proves your choice?
Boros is the worst. And that's sad, I really wish it wasn't, but boros has...

>Bad Ramp
Has to rely on artifacts.
>Bad CA
Outside of Sram Cheerie0s, you're looking at artifacts and wheels.
>Dull as shit commanders
I've had fun with Depala and Flip Avacyn can do some interesting stuff, but other color combos have more commanders that do better shit. They're not all stellar -- UB was in the dog house until Scarab God delivered it (And SulTaigam came right after), but even before that it was a little better off in the command zone and WAY better off in the 99.

The big advantage boros has ins in mass destruction: It's board wipe tribal, MLD Tribal, Shatterstorm, Tempest of Lights... It can get rid of any permanent type and ALL OF THEM. The problem is that Mardu does it better, adding not only support cards (if that was the only argument everyone would play 5c) but a nice selection of wipes with its suite of Wrath+, -X/-X, and the white-black combo removal like Merciless Eviction. And it does this while presenting commanders that do more and more interesting things than their boros counterparts.

Jeskai is also on notice, it needs a good commander who's not Zedruu (Narset doesn't count; she's strong but not very fun most of the time)

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyadox/

I am completely stuck on what to cut, much less what I need to get back in. I was wanting to making Paradox Engine seem amazing, but I am completely lost. Anyone have any suggestions?

So playing an expensive and super competitive deck gets you killed easily in 4/5 person multiplayer.

How do I find the balance between building a good deck and not getting killed first?

>UB was in the dog house until Scarab God delivered it

UB could do a pretty mean Zombie tribal, especially zombie combo-shenanigans with Grimgrin.

If only you knew the power of the Jank Side.

As long as your opponents have relatively decent threat analysis, you can just play safer and only start to durdle off when you're safe. If you're just the default punching bag then you might just be fucked.

Run a meh commander that doesn't draw hate

I can run whatever competitive shit I want as long as my commander is garbage and I draw no hate. I pretty much run the partner commanders now just so I can get whatever color identities I want.

Marisil is the fucking best. The jankiest combos King, barring Kraj.

Let's start it early, post 'em if you got 'em, boys.

I might need a liste 'cause i don't want to build an Inalla rock-and-combo-move-your-shit-back to-your-hand-and-scoop-while-you're-at-it 'cause no fun

>Kalemne and Depala
>Not Adriana

legitimately one of my most cancerous and most removal-resistant decks. Also Melee on three players and with around 20-40 tokens is absolutely hilarious.

r8, h8, appreci8.
Also, to the user who guessed in the last thread, I do like the buttstuff

How far along are you on the WU deck? It's been like at least a week since you posted this with that slot.
giving or receiving?

still gotem
still postin em

lookin to make a brw politics deck soon cant decide between queen cercei or math man

I put together a preliminary list of all the cards I want to put into it and I have to make about 40 or so cuts. I'd be further along than that but I've been preoccupied with school.
r-receiving. Pls no bulli. That's my gfs job.

Cliff?

>getting to 20-40 tokens uninterrupted in the first place
Anything can work if your meta consists of garbage

Nope, sorry.

Ah ok, it's just that I have an autistic knowledge of some cards and how to use magiccard.info's search notation that I can build a deck in like an hour on tappedout. Also jesus how do you go 40 cards over
Very cute user, does she dress you up too?

I want to play Artifacts, but I don't think my playgroup would want me to put Sharuum or Daretti back together. I own some cool old stuff like Transmute Artifact, so I was thinking of maybe trying one of the mono-blue commanders. I was considering Arcum, but he seems like he'd have the same problem that every deck that has a tutor in the command zone has, where you mostly end up trying to play the exact same game over and over again. What are your experiences?

Yo!

>my playgroup won't let me
Fuck em user, play what you want
But if you did want to stick with monoblue rhen maybe you should try out Muzzio

Would it be possible to build anykind of Mardu control and it actually be worth two shits?

I'm currently playing a Padeem EDH which aims at tutoring darksteel forge, then cheat it into play, then tutor a way to make Padeem an artifact and boom, every artifact you play is both indistructible and hexproof

I start deckbuilding by going to the edhrec page for my commander and/or my commanders colours and shoving every single card I might want to put into the deck into a list on tappedout. Sometimes it works better than others.
We're long distance right now but we've talked about it and we're both very interested in dressing me up in cute panties and stockings and collars.

Only if your play group isn't blue/green heavy.

>play what you want
Both Sharuum and Daretti had a nasty habit of becoming the Archenemy, and then winning anyway, so people would complain a lot and drain all the fun out.

I was thinking Padeem might keep a low profile as far as artifact decks go, or possibly even branching out to Solo Silas Ren, since I have a foil Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas I'd like to play.

Ah, I usually try to avoid getting too goodstuffy and just stick to a determined theme.
You better pose for us if you ever get any cute clothes!

Honestly a meta with heqvy blue would make it easier for WBR, you can load up on pyroblasts and spell copiers to negate counterspells. Plus you can boil everyone out too.

Tone down on the gay shit and give me recommendations for Ghalta.

If you aren’t doing storm with him, I recommend green Selvala, Paradox Engine and Erratic Portal.

>thread question
Boros. It runs out of gas way too much. WoTC fucked up in 2015 by giving them ZERO new tools to improve Boros gameplay outside of command sphere and a couple of reprints.

See pic related for all 18 of their commanders. My biggest issue with them is that tend to cost at least 4 mana.

command sphere was 2014. 2015 was this crap.

>only 3/18 are

does anybody here play pauper EDH? is it worth a try?

No board wipes means the format sucks

Hydra Omnivore
Khalni Hydra
Primalcrux
Stonehoof Chieftain
Surrak, the Hunt Caller
Terastodon
Thunderfoot Baloth
Vigor
Woodfall Primus
Worldspine Wurm

thot vassel

Any spicy tech for Mikaeus, the Lunarch?

>What one specific color combination would you consider to be the worst subjectively speaking? Is there one in your local meta that unequivocally proves your choice?
boros is objectively the worst combo because it cant draw cards well and has no ramp. everything they have to fix this is on artifacts which are very vulnerable and generally cost a lot of mana

>No board wipes means the format sucks
That just means you have to deal with the cards on the table like a man.

>all this boros hate
OP here, I just wanted to see what you guys as as individuals disliked not necessarily the weakest, guess I shoulda worded it better.
Personally I hate playing and playing against Azorius decks, especially draw,go ones that literally sit there and wipe the board or just dig to find board wipes. One of my friends plays this and literally all he does is play tribal planar cleansing and ways to flashback planar cleansing and counter spells that counter planar cleansing.

Would you consider this guy a staple in Green decks or does the mana cost hinder his playability?

you're playing green, eight mana is nothing to be afraid of

If you try to do that, you are going to run out of card draw rather quickly. And there really isn't enough red copies, to reliably out counterspell most blue players.

>boros hate
Its not hate, its the truth. Its not fun to play when every other color pairing is going super fast and you are super slow.

I fucking hate Izzet.

I want to like boros, because red, and white are my favorite colors. It just isn't a good pair sadly, so I moved on from it, and if I want that boros feel. It is simply better to play something like naya.

I fucking hate the players. Its the same special snowflake strategy every single fucking time.

Once again my poor diction fucks me, I know boros is the weakest color combo but I don't think everyone just straight up hates WR

If by "deal with the cards on the table like a man" you mean "calculate combat math once a turn and come to the conclusion that it's not worth it to do anything" every single turn, then sure. Enjoy your format.

Temur

By far my least favorite color combo to face. Riku of two reflections is probably the most annoying commander I have ever faced.

I'd say try a Mardu Commander then. All the speed of Boros with the added versatility of Black to cover its weaknesses. Zurgo Helmsmasher with a ton of board wipes, some Voltron and a Sunforger package sounds like a ton of fun to me.

It isn't a staple, because there are cheaper green cards that do that better ex. acidic slime. But it isn't a bad card if you have some ramp, and you should as green.

Worth it in sacrifice.dec or +1/+1counters.dec but otherwise meh

do not play arcum he is nuts
top tier if he is built right you can become near immortal in under 10 turns

least its not rick and morty tier cancer like simic players

I have always found a voltron deck to work best if you have blue throw in. Simply for the safety sake of your board state.

I found voltron to work better with white and green.

Blue green decks in general cause every person I go against just doese the same combo every time

what bro you werent impressed by tooth n nai + deadeye + palinchron for the 4th time this day?
it takes so much skill to ramp for mana and cast the card!

Bant it is then.

>based Simic
>rick and morty tier, which is what Izzet is
Go fuck yourself, Izzet absolutely is R&M.

>hating people for playing something they find fun
Wew, glad I am not in a playgroup with you.

Good choice.
>white has the best ways to find equipment, auras, and enchantments. Plus some cool things like Ethreal armor
>green gives ramp and buffs
>blue gives you removal and card draw

No but sucks when I am going to land wipe to stop that people stop me than stopping the combo from going off

bro I don't want to watch some johhny blow his load over his 10 minute combo

>it's not worth it to do anything
Not our problem your creatures are manlets.

I bet you'd rather have johnny blow his load all over you

Then build a deck to counter that. Instead of simply hating them, for doing what they like. Find a way, to make it so they can't win that way.

>tfw sexy alters are way too expensive for what they are
>probably also get you strange looks from other players
I'd run the fuck out of Sidisi if she looked like that.

I made these alters for friends like 2 years back, one of them still uses the nylea I made
All you need is a junk foil, acetone, qtips, a laser printer and some window decal paper

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-09-17-selenia-dark-angel/

Yo, can I get some thoughts on this pile of dollar 50 cent coins?

For context, the store I play at has a large amount of new players every year around September, and so I end up playing against precons often. I wanted to start a league at the store witha $35 dollar budget constraint, so newer players arent blown out of the water and to encourage deckbuilding.

Yadda yadda, its Selenia combo, tear me apart.

To far with too little staying power for a Green staple.
You need a deck with a bunch of recursion and/or +1/+1 counters to make him work.
But when you do, he's a champ.

There's a reason I stick him in with Mike and Trike.

Considering a new Zombie deck.
Either Sultai zombies (not Sidisi, probably Bananaman), or Ertai the Corrupted.

I just really want to use my Scarab God effectively, but I don't want to be stuck in Dimir.

Ertai sounds like some spicy fun. Go with that.

Is there a resource or a guide or something? It can't be that simple, can it?

>tfw have officejet, not laser

I've been looking at Ayli for a while, but never got around to actually looking into tech and card choices until recently. Care to share some info about your deck? Maybe a list if you feel generous.

Muzzio can be fun and isn't as bullshit as Arcum. He gives you the blue you want and he's less degenerate. Win-win.

Could you post your Edgar list?

I just picked up his precon and I'm thinking of taking my old Marath deck apart and putting in some of its pieces, like Elesh Norn, boros lands, etc.

You're just jealous.

If your playgroup won't hate you for it, I've had fun with Zur for my latest zombie deck.

Sure bro. Keep in mind I made a personal decision not to play any tutors, I know the deck would be better with them. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vampire-swarm-4/

So I've been reading articles on edhrec looking for techs for Newzuri and it was talking about precon syndrome. I had already suspected this, but how do I get better at detecting if it's good or not. In the particular article, the guy was denouncing Trygon Predator because it's too slow compared to Rec. Sage (which I was planning on running anyways). But for my opinion, the Trygon has evasion, meaning it's a good target to pump if you don't have much else going on, as well as not just a one time ETB. There are ways to recycle/bounce the Sage, as well, but I don't see that as a reason to not play the Predator.

I guess what I'm really getting at is how do I get better at identifying what's "good" for a precon deck. The hardest one for me to identify is for Feldon which I plan to eventually get to.

>Lightly dampen qtip with acetone, clean off the ink of the foil card
>Try not to get any of the acetone on the edge of the card or it'll bleed into the acetone
>Don't be afraid to use up qtips as needed or you'll smudge around the ink

>Print out the card art on the window decals, you have to use laser or the ink will just slough off
officedepot.com/a/products/212881/Office-Depot-Brand-Inkjet-Window-Decals/
>Print in large batches, don't be a retard like me and print them off one at a time
>Cut the decals using a straight line cutter if possible

>Stick it on the foil blank

Man that's crafty, I like this.
I was just going to make one of those multi-layered cards for fun but this seems like a better project to take on

Trygon Predator isn't the worst card to have this conundrum over. The general rule of thumb I use is this:
1. If it was in the precon, it's seeing higher play than it "should".
2. It's not conductive to the deck strategy just because Wizards put it in the deck. Newzuri's actually a great example of this, it wants to do like three separate things.
3. Precons aren't full of garbage, either. Some of those cards are good. Over-used, still, but good.

It comes down to personal opinion on if it's worth it or not, but here's the thing. Trygon Predator is shit as a removal card. It doesn't do anything up front, and lacks in-built protection to stick around. It's not going to help you if someone's already set up key pieces, and it's not really that effective if you're ahead.

What Trygon Predator IS good for is being a creature that Newzuri wants to play, having some in-built evasion, and being a good pump target with a semi-decent

Trygon Predator goes in decks like Kaseto, primarily, it's workable and it fits your strategy but far from auto-include in most decks since there are vastly more effective removal options in UG

You mentioned the answer yourself as to why Reclmation sage is good compared to Trygon.

>Recycle/Bounce sage

This grants you both more exp counters & more ETBs. You get reclamation sages effect the moment it enters, and you can get its effect multiple times a turn, or even on an opponents turn.

While it does seem good that Trygon is a repeatable effect that doesn't require being bounced/recycled. Trygon can only destroy one thing per turn, has to deal combat damage to a player, and is limited to only destroying something of that players. The amount of hoops you have to go through for its repeatable effect is more work then simply bouncing/recycling reclamation sage. Its much easier to stop a creature from dealing combat damage then it is stopping an ETB effect.
As a general response to your question
>how do I get better at identifying what's "good"

Creatures with ETB effects > Creatures with on player damage is a pretty general formula. This can be expounded to something even simpler for most permanents

Something with immediate effect > something that allows opponents to react.

The longer something has to stay on the battlefield to matter, the more time your opponents can deal with it and the weaker of a card it is. Generally.

bleed into the cardboard*

one of the other guys in the group made tokens like that for everyone, it takes a lot longer to do and he went through like a million xacto blades to make em.

Opinion for my first commando deck?
Mono White Sram voltron Budget
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sram-goes-on-a-shopping-spree-and-dies-the-movie/

I have about a thousand of them and a good setup for cutting thick cardboard for my studio projects so I figured I'd give it a try since I have all the tools on hand already.
It's really the matter of making it perfect that has got me driven and nervous, ultimately I'd like to do it with a decent card or one of my commanders but I want to figure out the method with some cheap ones first

Hope i'm not too late.