/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/whatever-happened-to-my-transylvania-twist-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What makes Mage so shallow?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Geist preview
theonyxpath.com/all-souls-day-preview-geist-the-sin-eaters/

Other urls found in this thread:

whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Kiasyd
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/vampire-the-requiem/996449-weird-experiment-changeling-meets-requiem-the-admonitoria
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What makes Mage so shallow?
Power level bullshit, and non-Magefags/false-flagging Magefags who keep provoking the same retarded arguments.

Paradox aside (which by itself a joke on how a non threat it is) magic is too clean.

The game ask tells you "if you can, why shouldn't you?" but the rest the whole responsibility of the latter part of that sentence on DM fiat, while the system makes sure that first part is as a free of consequence as possible.

It's not. It's just hilariously misrepresented by people who like to wank about the power level (when in reality even if you take a character with Gnosis 3 right from the start, chances are you won't actually be feeling very powerful at all against other Mages who match or exceed your level, and have Arcana that you don't), and by people who like to shit on it and don't understand how the system plays into the temptation of power and the consequences of being dumb with it. Paradox isn't the only consequence for reckless uses of magic, although you definitely shouldn't be treating Paradox like a joke, because that's how it gets you.

Also, these games are fucking diced based. I've had spells that I pumped Willpower into so that I had like 7 dice after factor penalties fail in the heat of the moment, and I've beaten out stronger Mages in Clashes of Wills. I've had Paradox rolls succeed even after I knocked it down to just a chance die with my dedicated tool. It happens.

Congrats 3/10 you got me to reply angrily.

Infamous sidebars aside, is Mage 20th anniversary a decent book if I just want to read about the general fluff?

No, it butchers it

Well, shit. Which one should I read then? 2e? Revised?

General consensus is both.

Alrighty then, thanks.

Hell no, M20's fluff is multiple choice.

Is this picture a virtual adept doing yoga magic? Classic m20

What would Hunter supplement for going after Unchained/Angels/Infrastructure be called?

I honestly have no idea.

Short Circuit

>True Fae are the Old Gods of the Thistle, and therefore Rank 8 Spirits.
Rank 7* you mean. Rank 8 spirits are the likes of Luna & Helios. Gaia, if she/he/it exists, would be rank 9.

The Hedge works differently in 2e, apparently. Mages (Acanthus/Mastigos, according to Dave) interested in fae-related phenomena frequent it.
Those proficient in Fate can force their way into and out of the fairy hell, perhaps even Arcadia.

>the Fae have one of the best home turf advantages in the game against Archmages
You'd think so, until you acknowledge that Archmages can Reflexively bring themselves back to their Golden Roads(Chantry, if they have one) at the first sign of inconvenience, however deadly.
>though if what that user said about a Rank 7 Archmage altering the fundamental nature of True Fae is correct
It is correct. Entities/Excisions is the play-dough of Archmastery. One could graft Gentry capabilities (Entities) onto their own Template.
Or improve upon it, theoretically. Maybe even expand the limit of Titles, or remove (Excisions) the weakness to Cold Iron.

I feel like an ass for reviving this spoiled topic, but I'm bored.

How would a Mastigos get into the Hedge? Would they just have to be a Mastigos with Fate?

i have previously only ran dnd but plan on running vampire the masquerade soon. any tips, i have a grasp on how the system works generally.

Can changellings be vampirized? Can Fae proper, the ones in dark ages? What about fomori? I know banes can possess vampires, but I mean the other way around (already created fomori being vampirized)

Since some theories of the internet mention that the Niktuku (or some of them)=are monsters who were vampirized and I like that way more than the DA20 version I thought it could be cool to have a Fae Niktuku and/or a fomori one.

Fate isn't be the only way to shove your way into the Hedge. Space knows no boundaries.

Time would also let you escape from the place, by making it so you never entered in the first place.

whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Kiasyd
I think this is the closest thing.

Try to know what your players like/want before making plans. Even if you limit it to Camarilla clans, having a Brujah, a Gangrel and a Nosferatu will (often) require a very different story than having a Ventrue, a Toreador and a Tremere. Of course it's less about the clan and more about the character itself, but I hope you get my point. Don't overdo Backstab&Politics if they're clearly asking for sun allergic superheroes, and vice versa.

Or you can just tell the players what the theme of the game is gonna be if you already have a strong idea and don't want to change it.

I was actually enjoying the idea that there was a place even archmages couldn't tread but then I read your post. Is there no archmage kryptonite?

>archmage kryptonite
It's called hubris. Also the Pax. Though the Pax isn't as strict as people seem to think.

Overall an Archmage can do whatever as long as they have the leniency and the relevant time and necessary Quintessence.

Only that their big shit requires plot devices in the form of Quintessance to pull off. Otherwise no, they are explicitly based on the idea of overcoming the gods, since whole of Awakening is ripping off Platonism and Gnosticism, with the Exarchs taking the place of the Demiurge or Archons.

>Infamous sidebars aside, is Mage 20th anniversary a decent book if I just want to read about the general fluff?

It really isnt, it takes 500 words page what it could be said in 300 at most.

The organization of the info is a nightmare. However if you already experience with mage, you can get a .....passable game out of that.

You just gonna have to abuse the marker function in your PDF reader and make a separate notebook with your own summary.

Ascension has Nephandi. What does Awakening have?

I'm never going to play the game (no people near me who play any of the WoD splats and the few times I tried finding groups, they were all from different timezones),I really just want to read about the setting itself.

Scelesti.
They want to destroy the Fallen, throwing it into the Abyss.
Either so a new world can be born, because they hate existence, or because they think the Exarchs have won and the only meaningful action would be to snatch their prize away from them.

Scelesti, mages that worship the abyss of uncreation

I knew about Kyasyd look more like the opposite thing: faerized vampires and their lore seems like a mess full of retcons. Also for some reason a player of mine who is way more experienced seems to hate them.

>Also for some reason a player of mine who is way more experienced seems to hate them.
Probably because they look alien instead of like child sex monsters more common in dreaming.

Is that really Mage art?

Scelesti and other Left-Handed Mages.

Their minuscule penises : ^ )

Not all Left-Handed Mages are that fucked up.
Some just want to suck the luck-juice out of pilfered souls.

Your member must be a sad little thing

Dunno, maybe. Don't really know what you mean since I've almost never played Changelling.

>I'm never going to play the game (no people near me who play any of the WoD splats and the few times I tried finding groups, they were all from different timezones),I really just want to read about the setting itself.

Then no, as a setting book is awful, go with revised order book, and guides to the technocracy and traditions from the Bin.

So are Uratha from Forsaken just like Sabbat packs? Little to no central organization, each pack is a insland undo themselves, only interacting with the other in tense "if we show weakness you will use it against us".

how would you guys run a cross-splat paranormal investigators/scooby-doo campaign?

I'm thinking of using that as the reason the group continues to go on "adventures"

Mortals with merits only.

Mortals only. And a rank 4 spirit masquerading as Scooby Doo.

>Archmages turning themselves into True Fae

I don't like this

scoob is obviously a goetia of dumb luck

>Supernal Privilege

There's no real central organization in most areas, but there is a significant web of information and dialogue through Tribes and Lodges. They do keep in touch and warn each other about shit like Pure movements, and I'd say the Uratha are on the whole more organized than the Sabbat when it comes to fighting the Pure specifically.

That said, it depends on the region. In some areas multiple packs have a something almost like a formalized union or centralized leadership. In others, there can be packs that are completely isolationist and attack anyone that enters their territory, Forsaken or Pure.

As a first time playing with people who are mostly just familiar with Bloodlines, it was suggested that we just use feat numbers for skill levels outside of combat. I.e. a lock is of difficulty 5 and you need dex+sec >= 5 to pick it.

Would this make players too powerful? We're a group of three players and an ST and I think that would force the skill spread enough but wanted to ask people who actually played.

Wouldn't it be impossible for an Archmage to give himself/herself True Fae powers? That would require a contract with the Wyrd.

No. Fate 7 is all you need. Or Fate 9 to make things really interesting.

Whoops, forgot the beady little red eyes.

I couldn't watch the original video in its entirety. It was too hard. I hate PC culture so much.

I'm probably going to regret asking.

What video?

aids skrillex

>there can be packs that are completely isolationist and attack anyone that enters their territory, Forsaken or Pure

Isnt that the default? Because the books on clutches/protectorates goes on and on how they are destined to fail.

Also why would they help each other? Isnt that a pack who cant defend their territory dont deserve it?

I didn't mean literally Scooby Doo
yeah, I should probably restrict the werewolves and things to being npcs

Do you "get" anything for playing a Caitiff, since they're weaker? Not asking in a power-wank way. Just curious if the writers did or didn't decide to try to "balance it out" a bit.

You don't EVER tell people that someone is a vampire or a werewolf in a mortal game, user. You tell them what character see and feel. A pale shade on the edge of your vision that disappears when you try to focus on it. A low menacing growling in the darkness that makes your knees shake. Otherwise you get Twilight.

wasn't planning on just outing someone as a vampire/werewolf besides they'd probably be antagonists not allies

If the players suggested it you might give it a try. Imho always being 100% sure of what I can and cannot do would kill the thrill of the game to me. At the very minimum all dificulties should be secret and even I fear this may not be enough to me.

It's not the default at all. It's the default to be wary of anyone that enters your territory, but being unwilling to work with other Uratha is not normal at all. That said, the only time the connective tissue between packs of tribes and lodges ever really becomes relevant is when the Pure are being an immanent issue.

All other times, most packs leave each other alone.

>since they're weaker
They're literally the powerwank option. Like just build whatever you want, no limits to your munchkin hunger.

Yeah, I had planned on keeping the checks a secret so they just try and fail based on the number. I get why it was in the computer game and how it was single player so you wanted to know what you could do at all times.

Can't Caitiff create their own Disciplines?
That seems like a bunch of fun.

iirc you don't have a clan weakness (somehow), makes more sense on say a tremere caitiff than for a nosferatu one

Isn't it much harder for them to get better at shit?

I just wanted to play a vampire who's barely stronger than a mortal in terms of supernatural abilities but has lots of contacts and is really clever. Like a Nos who isn't ugly but also doesn't get the powers.

Wait, no, that's Thin-Bloods.

The terms are often used interchangeably.

You get to build weirdo Discipline spreads for cheaper, except not really because the cool ones have to be taught and you're surrounded by gangs without having a gang.

>Also why would they help each other? Isnt that a pack who cant defend their territory dont deserve it?

A lot of this is posturing and bravado.

Forsaken are not retarded. They are capable of somewhat organizing and assisting one another when it's clearly the correct thing to do. There will be high tensions and there might be another fight after whatever everyone banded together to settle is done with, depending on the temperament and history of everyone involved, but it happens. If Forsaken didn't organize in any way stuff like the Tribes wouldn't even exist.

That said, it happens way less for spirit matters than it does for inter-woof violence. Very few spiritual events can make Uratha packs work together. Having to seek help to fight a massive Predator Kings incursion is much less of a dishonor and sign of weakness than having to seek help for dealing with some suped up pain spirit or whatever. Beating on spirits is supposed to be your purpose as an Uratha, after all, you're their natural predator. It's not as shameful to need help fighting a fellow apex predator.

Rules caitiff is always a thin-blood. If you want to play a "I don't know my clan and sire" caitiff you get one of the normal clans and the corresponding defect/s.

Not really, you're just unable to super buff you with blood (not big deal in Masquerade where almost everyone is high gen) and while your disiciplines are more expensive you don't have non-clan disciplines.

But honestly I like your character concept and could work well as a Caitiff. Just don't do super discipline combos despite being able to and you'll be fine.

Catiff can Diablerize right?
Do they suddenly get, or develop a new clan if they hit a higher generation?

Or do they become a super-weenie?

>Beating on spirits is supposed to be your purpose as an Uratha, after all, you're their natural predator.

But arent the blood talons self appointed natural predators of the predator kings and other pure?

The "you are a pussy if you cant handle it yourself" policy is only for pure packs or host would also count? I am trying to wrap my head in how Uratha culture works

You get a vampirised human who doesn't remember anything of the Fae Soul you killed by Embracing him in Changeling the Dreaming. You just get a dead guy in Changeling the Lost.

Nothing. Mage is a game to jack off to MY POWAAAAAAAH.

I don't think it was ever explained, but they probably remain Caitiff for no reason. I would give them the victim's clan probably. They retain their current non-clan disciplines at 7 cost but the others are 10 now (and in-clan 5, of course).

>You just get a dead guy in Changeling the Lost.
Hill did a draft of a 'vampire seeming' that is basically a hybrid vampire changeling. Its a neat idea that we'll never see in a book.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/vampire-the-requiem/996449-weird-experiment-changeling-meets-requiem-the-admonitoria

2nd edition and Revised, in that order, arey our best bet. Mage suffers a lot from the advancing metaplot, as Revised has to deal with the Avatar Storm as a major setting element.

With all of the supernatural things in the setting, is it actually plausible for a mundane human to live and die a perfectly normal life without ever witnessing evidence of anything supernatural?

That's not far off from how standard Revised works; you give things a success threshold to pass, so you may need to twinge things up and down, but it's fine.

Most people in the world of darkness just look the other way when bad things happen and ignore them anyway. So that's how most mortals live I think.

What if you embrace the fae? (This is Dark Ages where they still roam the land). oWoD is full of crazy shit I'm sure some decv had this idea before me even if it was to later think it was awful and write that it's impossible.

>But arent the blood talons self appointed natural predators of the predator kings and other pure?

Blood Talons think they're the natural predators of everything. That said, not all packs are of one tribe. Most aren't, even.

>The "you are a pussy if you cant handle it yourself" policy

It's not a policy, it's a vague tradition that can be upturned in favor of accepting reality. The reality is that the Pure outnumber the Forsaken and sometimes the Forsaken have to make concessions in regards to their beliefs if they're going to survive as a whole. Sure, some packs are more stubborn than others - there are some that are outright insane in their myopic territorialism - but not all are. Getting a bunch of packs to work together is hard and often has consequences (for example, a particularly ambitious and large pack may very well decide, after the day is one, that the other packs that needed their help are weak, and turn on them) but it's not impossible or even truly that rare.

... no they aren't. There's a general limit on how much Generation they can have (I want to say 10th is as far as they can go starting out), but Caitiff aren't required to be 14th or 15th Generation.

Right, but by 'default' in 1e you get a dead guy. Just like you get a dead guy if you Embrace a werewolf, a mage or anything else. Templates don't stack or override in NWoD.

That's because the blood can go thin before 14th and 15th.

>The reality is that the Pure outnumber the Forsaken

Actually, just a note, this is only true if you're playing in America. Forsaken and Pure numbers are much more balanced elsewhere, and as such it probably is way, way, way, waaaay harder to get a bunch of, say, British Forsaken to help each other out.

I don't think there was ever any official rulings for what would happen if you tried to Embrace an Inanimae. I'd say probably something weird that's up to the ST, as you're at that point trying to Embrace an aspect/representation of a facet of nature.

>so you may need to twinge things up and down, but it's fine.
In terms of thresholds for normal vs hard, etc?

Not per the rules of the Thin Bloods book. Thin Bloods, by mechanics, are 14th and 15th Generation (and as of V5, 16th Generation). 13th Generation is not a Thin Blood, they do not suffer from the normal issues of Thin Bloods such as limited healing/blood expenditure/discipline activation, for example.

Elders that are old, sure, they're going to bitch about 13th Gen 'thin bloods,' but mechanically, they are not Thin Bloods unless they take the appropriate flaws.

Even with how its written up they still don't quite stack, this is described as an edge case of what happens if you escape by being embraced or perhaps are kidnapped as a vampire.

Pg 191 in the Revised core talks about successes and thresholds. For VtM Revised, 1 success is a 'marginal success,' while 3 is a complete success. There is also a table that talks about success difficulties on pg. 192. Go read that section.

Go away Charlatan.

>Blood Talons think they're the natural predators of everything. That said, not all packs are of one tribe. Most aren't, even.

Isnt the blood talon favored prey the pure? Like its their duty to hunt them down specifically?

Also is only in cases of a massive invasion that pack help each other? I am running a game of newly changed urathas who formed a pack but i am struggling on how they learn anything if the other packs wont teach them?

Okay, I've re-reading a bit and let me correct my words in this post Rules caitiff are always BIOLOGICAL caitiff, be either because they are thin-bloods (a related but different concept) or because "something happened". They are not meant to represent the abandoned kind of caitiff. I'm sure that at least one of the character examples in the Gangrel Clanbook had a caitiff (abandoned, not biological) story and she used Gangrel rules, not Caitiff.

You can also take some inspiration from forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/vampire-the-requiem/996449-weird-experiment-changeling-meets-requiem-the-admonitoria

>Requiem
Ugh
Thanks anyways user

Thanks. Checking it out now.

Right. A Caitiff is, mechanically, a caitiff. Caitiff is ALSO the term used for vampires who were abandoned and don't know their sires and have no verifiable lineage, though a Tremere can fix that fairly simply.