Try to put together something to play with my friend group in the scant moments we're all available

>try to put together something to play with my friend group in the scant moments we're all available
>hack together a super shitty custom system designed to be played lightning fast with a priority on character interaction and storytelling
>to be honest it's a piece of shit but it will do
>pitch the idea to the group, they like it
>come up with a plot. They're all vampire hunters for a fanatical organization called the red church.
>Their all being sent into the fortress of blud mountain to stake anything that moves
>gothic horror with some comedy, perfect
>"okay guys, since fantasy races don't really exist in this, try to make humans who would conceivably work for this church."
>user what's the tech level?
>"crossbows and pikes. One or two guns exist, but they're rare as shit artifacts."
>okay
So I left them all to make characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

nhentai.net/g/39666/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>First, player number one calls me
>he's made a teenage girl with a gun
>he's actually made it work though.
>the gun is an edgy magic artifact that fires pieces of her soul until she's rendered a vegetable
>edgy and useless long term, but it fits the setting and he's done a good job of making the gun feel like a rare, cursed artifact.
>it's even a Victorian era type gun, so it fits.
>great

>guy number two calls me
>hasn't made a character but we're good friends so we make one in the Skype call
>he's a massive furry
>I immediately veto him using any of his existing characters
>I then have to veto him making a gryphon
>he ends up making an intelligent weasel with a tiny sword
>puss in boots, vampire hunter edition.
>I can dig it.
>approved

>homebrew
>players don't have much of a clear idea (save for a few GODLIKE players)
HO BOY, user, I can tell you an' me gon' have some GOOD times, right now.

>guy number three catches me the next morning
>he's really excited about the whole thing
>I figured he would be, since he loves blood borne and likes gothic horror as an aesthetic
>shows me his character
>slimegirl
>"loli"
>modern caliber sniper rifle
>"slutty"
>I tell him I'll think about it, I'm late for my lecture and run off

>tell everybody to meet at our usual time and make characters in a group while I go do musical theatre shit
>come back at the tail end to everybody shouting at each other
>oops, turns out that sniper rifle is big point of contention
>he's insisting I approved it
>I veto it, he takes it pretty lightly and remakes the character to just "vore people to death"
>fine whatever
>fourth guy is working on his character
>apperantly he's making a suit of possessed armor, ala full metal alchemist
>player 5 is the girlfriend of dude 3, but she's actually trying
>she's making an alchemist/healer who fits the world perfectly and totally fits as a member of the church
>other guy hasn't started yet
But
>2 or 3 other people have heard about he game and want to join
I should never have tried to play a game with people I can't tell to jump off a bridge

Anyway, I didn't really have any point to this. I just wanted to talk about my current situation.

Six is the right number, bud, ya gotta know this. But 4 or 5's good, too. Or any small amount of good players.

Hm, here's my advice:
>Kick out Player 3, and hope that Player 5 doesn't leave, too
>MAYBE Player 2, unless furries don't disgust you to the bone
>consider if you want more players, you don't seem that avid for doing high-stress GMing

Player 2 is my best friend and all around a pretty cool guy. If he'd really stuck to his guns I'd have booted him but he seemed content to make something more in keeping with the world.
The major issue I have is that I still see these people every day and we're all good friends.
I figure I can handle more people but I've heard that's a common saying for foolish dms who fuck up and collapse

S'like I said, ye don't seem too wantin' for real stressful GMin'. Yer no Gundam yet. Work up to the top. Start with a small bit of players, like right now.

What the fuck how

I have no fucking idea. The worst I was expecting from him was the bloodborne hunter copy pasted, which I would have been perfectly fine with.
I'm mostly just miffed that so many of them have immedeatly gone for non-humans and guns, and while some of them work perfectly fine, there's player number 3

How old are they?
Where do you find this people?
I wouldn't kick anyone but they don't seem to care about your setting at all, that's kinda rude.

19-20s
We're all friends.
I know, right? I just wanted to have them run around a vampire castle.
I still remember the party I was imagining when I came up with it all
>zealous crusader in bucket helm
>edgy trench coat vampire hunter
>crazy girl who loves explosives
>drunk middle aged priest
If only

I mean, if you have a cool gimmick and nobody likes it, maybe it's a bad gimmick? You liked Weasel in Boots, other nonhumans probably wouldn't mess with the vibe too much. Tech level's a little harder to keep coherent (and in my experience sniper rifles are horseshit), but you could probably pull a Three Musketeers without going full Wolfenstein.

Slutloli slimesniper is what the fuck man enough that I'm not sure how much any of this would have mattered, but still.

i said oldstyle muskets were alright, although i did warn that the church tends to use crossbows because they're basically stake delivery systems and guns cant really do that as well.
im considering having a very leading conversation with p3. i have enough points in speech that i can probably get him to change it to the ways ive thought of to make it work.
im thinking the church keeps the odd slime around as a living chemical weapon, and in her case shes being sent along with the party in the same way theyd be sent a particularly nice gun or a wardog.

Calling it now... This is OP's campaign:

nhentai.net/g/39666/

I just noticed that gallery's trips...

>slimegirl
>"loli"
>modern caliber sniper rifle
>"slutty"

I feel pretty annoyed for having read this far.

I would call bullshit on this one, but one of the fags I've played with couldn't keep his magical realm in check and ALSO tried to play as a slimegirl who vores people to death.

DM actually approved it, and it wasn't THAT bad of a campaign. Probably cause it lasted two sessions.

>more
>SIX

You are in the sweet spot. 3-5 players is optimal. 5 works comfortably with wall flowers, honestly; hopefully some of your players aren't too bad as far as attention whoring. More than 5 is a 100% guarantee that people will start being out of the spotlight for significant periods of time. Combats become cumbersomely long; maybe your system is rule light enough to mitigate. Consensus is harder, people will step on eachother's role and you run into some characters no longer feeling special, and someone is always butting in somewhere even when it's obviously not going to make a better experience. The bigger the group, the bigger the clusterfuck. And from the character descriptions I'm hearing, you already have an impending clusterfuck.

>TWO fetishes characters
>first guy making angsty teenage girl may also be a fetish character but it sounds like he has some restraint
>2 rad/reasonable characters
>you are 50% potential recipe for disaster
>you want to add more?

I'm not against it. OP's disaster becomes our greentext.

Machine-transcription heard "copy" as "copulate"?

I say six, but I got six before, and it eventually pared down to like, four. Weeded out two others that somehow got past the filter.

i swear to high heaven it isn't made up.
i even pulled him aside in the hall later that day and told him directly how i feel about fetish content. he said it wasnt like that.
a couple of them dont seem that invested, players 4 and 6 specifically. player 2 has said hes only playing since everybody else in the group is and because were best buds, so i figure some of them might slough off.
believe me, ill write it all up.
if you ever see anything on this board about SIEGE ON BLUD MOUNTAIN, thats me and this pack of yahoos.