A warm place by the hearth

There aren't many things in traditional gaming that are comfier than getting home from studying/work and sitting down for some worldbuilding before bed.

How are you spending tonight, Veeky Forums? Is that different than most nights?

How are you doing in general?

group disintegrated a while ago and haven't played in close to three years. i don't even know why i'm still here on tg. i spent the night in my carseat in the bathtub rereading a shitty mass market from twelve years ago and i want off this ride i need a job at least fuck

We're always here to talk, user. I wouldn't condescend to offer advice but I really am thinking about you. Stay strong, brother.

Your handwriting is extremely sexy.

Your post is deeply erotic.

Post more of your lesser-hooks.

Also fairly amused that you write out your worldbuilding / plot (laptop) in the same manner as me.

"She's in hell so MAYBE demons and the devil are helping her"

almost exactly like me except i'd write

"She's in hell, so maybe demons and the devil and shit are helping her."

I'm a little jealous that you've managed to start - I feel stuck inside of my head with everything, never managing to get it down on paper. There's always distractions grabbing my attention, legitimate or not.

At work. Should be working on an upcoming hallooween horror oneshot but honestly it's the end of a nightshift and I just can't be fucked, a week of vacation completely de-accustomed me from pulling allnighters. Three days left and the fucking FM transmitters only now arrived due to previous seller's fuckup. I now need to find a radio and get to recording the audio bits for the players to tune into. A lot of work ahead, and I think none of my players will ever realize just how much of it exactly. From poring over some choice bits and pieces of literary scares, researching some hospitals and urban exploration, and putting together a two-tiered story with fucking audiologs on the radio. I'm starting to question why am I even doing this, but I already passed the point where I should have stopped. I'm just thinking, two years ago I ran almost entirely improv Nightshift game and it was juuuuust fine and properly creepy. Why did I feel the need to escalate this much?
The one thing I hope for is that it at least works on all levels and the spectacle is worth it in the end.

lemme think

working on a one-shot for a mecha system i'm testing, trying to figure out how to go further with this magical girl thing i'm making, and also trying to make a new Fire Emblem tabletop system

Stream-of-consciousness helps so much! These plot hooks are all pretty much ripped from past "comfy adventure hook threads." Can you guys help with more small-scale ideas?

Someday, user, the spark will grip you, and it will be beautiful.

You're right that none of your players will ever realize just how much work you did for them, and that makes the joy even greater when you unveil it for them. It seems like that adventure is going to be damn good. Better than anything I've written or played. Good luck.

>Can you guys help with more small-scale ideas?

Might be able to give it a go aa bit later.

This looks like it might be a nice thread, may join you in worldbuilding a bit later.

I was working on plot points for campaigns, and then done low level creepy items for one of them.
Pretty comfy really

Post some later, maybe. We'd all love to hear them.

>How are you spending tonight, Veeky Forums?
Spent my night playing Magic at a diner with friends. Just got home, relaxing with Veeky Forums and some Mraz for a little while before crashing.

>Is that different than most nights?
I was outside being social, which is rare. Otherwise, pretty similar to most nights. I don't have an active group right now so I'm not doing any game planning (was playing just a month or so ago, but players bitched out of my campaign, so sadness). Doing low-key work on a Star Trek Adventures game but having trouble finding motivation to work on it (this is just a general issue right now; see below).

>How are you doing in general?
Well, you asked, so you get the long answer. Short answer is poorly. Long answer is that mental illness is a real fucking bitch lemme tell you what. I was diagnosed as schizoaffective fairly recently and have been having issues with my medication, which has been fun. The "don't kill yourself" pills are working. The "don't be a useless pile of self-hatred" pills have yet to really happen. Veeky Forums stuff has been one of the big casualties of my mental state. It's hard to DM when you basically can't stand the sight of yourself, much less your ideas and thoughts and plots. It also makes it hard to look for work: how can you sell yourself to a potential employer when you're one moment away from telling them that you're walking human garbage? Just tough times right now. Working on it, but tough times. I'm hoping to get myself together enough to get a game together post New Year's though, I really do want to play Star Trek Adventures, looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks, but honestly, I'm not holding high hopes for the adventure. I mean, I hope it turns out good, but I'm a pessimist and understand that there's a lot of failure points in this all. The Nightshift game which is my benchmark revolved mostly around them just sitting out weird shit I threw at them, but this time I need to prep some actual exploration going on, but also to keep it tense and weird. I consider myself somewhat of a horror connoisseur, as in, I actively ejoy the feeling of fear and find that many popular... venues, media, just doesn't deliver a properly terrifying experience. From 'the benchmark', my most favorite part was The Car. It has driven a few times past the gas station, every time painfully explicitly the same car, every time with a slow buildup, from the sound and headlights, to the color and details. On the Xth passing, they joked that some kids are going for a joyride, and then I pointed out to the players, that the car always approaches from the same direction, and the road doesn't loop anywhere before the next city several dozen miles down. The next time The Car approached, they weren't too happy, to say the least, even less when it finally decided to stop at the station. Also, I completely pulled that encounter out of my ass during the session.

>Stream-of-consciousness helps so much!
my notes tend to look like a madman's ramblings to someone who has no idea what I was thinking writing them
also I mix languages like a mofo since some ideas are easier to write down in english

Currently crunch-timing a quick one-off for some first time players. First session is tomorrow.

Just getting to bed at 3am after working in GIMP on some visual aids. Sometimes I build for the narrative and sometimes I build and find something interesting to create a narrative out of.

The room where I currently work isn't comfy, and my comfiest place is miles and miles away.

Worldbuilding and session prep are still great fun, though. This picture here is inspiring next session's dungeon, somehow.

I write better after midnight which doesn't always work out for me timewises

I wish I had the attention span to actually do this. I go home with good intentions then spend the evening watching netflix, playing vidya and fapping.

Gonna play some RtW and work on my Star Wars campaign (EotE) that i want to get started for my friends in a few weeks if i can. I have the character's outlines that they gave me (just race/class combos so far) and a ship for them, Ship is nonstandard since i wanted something different than what the book had lined up. Also have basic quest/plot hooks lined up, just need to get some flesh on the bones.

Two bounty hunters (sometimes rivals) and a wookie hired gun are the players. Inspiration is leaning towards a Cowboy Bebop/ Outlaw Star/ Firefly vibe if i can do it right. Hoping for the best.

>it's another pity party thread for millenials with (((mental illnesses)))
God this board has gone to shit.

Trying to write a hook for first adventure in sci fi space opera gurps. sigh. have 10 week old puppy and wife got in car accident last night. so hard to get shit together

I don't world build anymore because I don't know when or if my players are gonna gather. And as such I give the same amount of effort I receive, which is really little. I just bullshit session after session and they think it's okay, and so be it. I've stagnated hard...

A single nigger moans about mental illness and you have to run your faggot mouth about it. Buck up and get some thicker skin, faggot.

Being too mentally exhausted from my shitty office job to do anything much apart from sit on my arse in my pokey flat by myself and hop between half watched YouTube videos.

>comfy
>world building
>>>/reddit/

Did /v/ get bored of arguing over Mario and Assassin's Creed early or something?

Do you not make a setting for your players to explore and have adventures in?

>He uses anything other than a pre made dungeon

Pre made dungeons have to exist somewhere, unless you're playing in the aether and simply teleporting between dungeons

Which is still a world building of sorts

>unless you're playing in the aether and simply teleporting between dungeons

That actually sounds like an interesting setting. The world is only composed of dungeons sitting in empty space, dungeons have built in teleportation that allows for travel from one dungeon to others. Races have carved out society and civilization in the dungeons.

Why is the world like this? How did you get here?

I like the mystery of it. That should be the real Dungeon World, a world composed entirely of dungeons.

Would run if my players didn't dislike dungeons.

>Why is the world like this?
Long ago, an adventurer made a wish, asking for a world with endless wondrous dungeons to delve and explore.

A trickster god heard his wish, and made it true, by removing all that wasn't dungeon.

>How did you get here?
Most who adventure in this realm were born into it. They must adventure in order to bring back food and supplies for their family, as plots of land where crops can be grown are very rare.

Those who adventure there but were not born there are here because of a portal gone awry, or a spell miscast, and as a result they were flung into the realm. They adventure not only for survivals sake, but also to hope to return home some day.

I'm procrastinating on my "real" projects (studies and vidyadev). Lurking on Veeky Forums right now, writing down cool ideas every now and then.

I'm lucky enough to have weekly sessions with my new group, although really short ones (3-4 hours each). We're on a mere two week hiatus right now and I already miss it.

In general I feel kinda empty inside these days, but it's not bad, just weird.

Fuck I would love to have that handrwriting
My writing is horrendous, I feel bad for every teacher I ever had, even when I apply myself it's ugly and not pleasurable to read

>worldbuilding
A codeword for "I want to be a writer but lack talent"

Gonna be working. Haven't played since my group split up with the end of our various leases, wishing I could put a group or something together because I have SO MANY fun ideas, but nobody to run them with.

Doing some worldbuilding and I kind of want to make a country that's a mash-up of WWII Germany and WWII Japan (but with WWI tech and some light fantasy & a tiny bit of steampunk involved, but that's not really important).
I'm not really sure what to take from each, though.

Yeah the emptiness is strange sometimes. Any big life changes recently?

I'd say that poor handwriting correlates with high intelligence, but that's bullshit. I'm sure it's fine, user, and has a unique flair.

Nobody in this thread appreciates your comment. Go back to /r9k/ where you belong.

Where do you live, user?

Minnesota, in the central US.

Do what I did and exclusively write in cursive. My handwriting is still fundamentally trash but I've had plenty of people tell me how cool it looks.

Truly, this man speaks TRUTH! He speaks of a true cloister realm, not the one those HERETICS preach. No, he knows the truth.

Still, what DOES define a dungeon? The presence of monsters? A high danger level? What happens to a dungeon that is cleared, so to speak? Does it vanish, into the aether? If so, would not dishonorable curs dare to cause dungeons to vanish?

My setting doesn't have dwarves. Humans and elves only. Am I a bad person?

I'm not the user you were talking to, but I live in MN as well!

I'm stuck in the dead center of the state

Did you go out to vote yesterday at all?

>tfw the comfiest place to work is a local building with a coffee shop and a giant window overlooking a river which looks lovely all snowed-over
>the coffee place is closing by the time winter comes.

Currently on holiday in Bali and I'm spendinng my downtime writing stream of thought history for the post-apocalyptic world that my 5th novel will be set in. Maximum comfy.

The setting I run my DnD games in has been slowly developing over the last 1.5 years as I've played, it's such a good unwinding feel to sit in with some hot drinks and a good meal and worldbuild for my players, plan out upcoming plot hooks, imagine what their actions have created in other parts of the setting, etc.

this is the best way to take notes, I literally take notes in the same way that I talk so that they're easy reading later on. Mostly it's just stream of consciousness stuff that gets me to an interesting conclusion.

Building a RIFTS character with an old college buddy via Discord. Going pretty well. My other college buddies are still building theirs, but I think I'm hitting on a very cool theme with mine at least. I'm looking forward to playing this one.

I did the opposite because I hated cursive and just got really good at printing.

Even my Japanese instructor let me turn in several papers handwritten rather than typed because I had nice enough handwriting to make even characters which I was unfamiliar with look legible.

...I can't actually start my own thread, and this seemed like the closest thread to relevance, so I really hope I'm not shitposting here...

I just got struck by the urge to do a "fantasy warworld" setting - sort of a less grimdark melding of D&D and Warhammer Fantasy in terms of inspiration. Is this the kind of thread where I can ask about figuring out details for it?

Because all I've got so far as some rough "faction" concepts - Hobgoblins (D&D 4e + dieselpunk tinkers) as the "Goblinoid/Orcoid" menace, Gnomes with a dash of WF's Dawi and AoS's Kharadrons as the Tech Race, a Pulpy Stygia expy full of gnolls, necromancers and demonologists, Halflings as a serious faction in some way, and a shattered elven empire leading to things like a "mini-faction" of elven magitekno-barbarian amazons.

>also I mix languages like a mofo since some ideas are easier to write down in english
Holy fuck I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Pic related, my notes all look like this, at best.

I'm digging your style. Do you have more plot hooks to share?

that's the problem though, I only know how to do cursive and it's quite messy, apparently american/english people do not learn cursive as much as we do in france

Nah, dwarves are silly. I have dwarves, but they're hidden away in the mountains and no one knows they're there, so basically not in existence

>That should be the real Dungeon World, a world composed entirely of dungeons
Phillip Jose Farmer did that. Twice. Jack Chalker did it once too.