/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>Muh Hexblade

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XCxL3-Fl7bM&ab_channel=Libertine62
youtube.com/watch?v=Na_bRv-Zg00
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck yearh that's the shit look at dem' thighs uh-huh I'm feelin' it if u know what I mean ;^)

inquisitive rogue info when?

youtube.com/watch?v=XCxL3-Fl7bM&ab_channel=Libertine62

New DM here. My Paladin player is going Oath of Conquest and I'm all for it.

Question, though. How does an Oath of Conquest Paladin fall? I'm not trying to make my player fall, I'm just curious how it's supposed to work. Does he fall if he fails to uphold the law at all costs? Does he fall if he spares a spy that has sewn discord among the kingdom he works to protect? How would this work, exactly?

But, will Hexblades be fun?

How does one go about implementing critical injuries into the game ala Warhammer?

The DMG Lingering Injuries are too severe for me.

+20 to dying when the DM decides to ambush you in the night because he's tired of you having 18 AC but he's never going to do shit about the Wizard who Forcecages every boss

I plan on having any Hexblade in my group have a Patron that always talks through their bounded weapon. That way I can get through the Sentient weapon Pact Weapon conundrum.

How do we make the casting system more like Warhammer Fantasy? It's easily the best magic system I've seen in a game.

>DM's first instinct is to plan for the Paladin's fall

Really, the Paladin should only fall if the player thinks they fall.

Maybe if they let an enemy escape due to personal reasons. If they turn a blind eye to disobedience of NPCs. It is unclear if they fall because they lose to a challenger.

>Get new IRL group where I don't have to be the DM
>Hey guys, let's all post backstory drafts in this group folder so we can make an awesome party
>I posted a one pager campaign pitch summary based on our kickoff
>Hey, has anyone picked mechanics? I'm gunna be a thief
>Anyone?
>Ah well, A theif, a cleric, and three unknowns...
>I'm gunna post a backstory soon, I posted it
>Oh cool, someone else posted a backstory!
>Oh, he didn't read the pitch I posted even though he missed the kick-off
>Oh, he made a CN orphan half-orc who became an adventurer just for the sake of it
>No one else has posted anything and the session is sunday

>cultures develop spears and bows long before swords
>spears have totally killed more people in the history of the worlds than swords
>all these ancient cosmic artifact makers keep making fucking swords
?????????
If there really were a soul-drinking weapon forged a billion years ago, I'd think it would be something like a spear or atlatl.
Fuck swords.

handcrossbow

For close combat Hand Crossbow.

For ranged Heavy Crossbow.

How is it better? For the dex modifier?

>the Paladin should only fall if the player thinks they fall.

not him but there are some thick players out there that will do literally anything and not think they should fall for it.

Joke's on you, 5E Paladins can't fall because the Oaths are all so open-ended and open to interpretation in a relative moral sense. They're just Wizards, accountable to no one and nothing.

Nobody read anything. Just don't be too salty. You have a rogue and a cleric, your party cant be too imbalanced.

Then make one! How about a Sentient spear that collects knowledge on everyone it kills instead of souls.

just do the math bro and stop being annoying

The problem with 5e for critical injuries is that the system is decidedly high-powered fantasy, so dropping to 0 HP isn't something that players really care about, Warhammer doesn't have resurrections, and I don't think it has any spells that regrow limbs outside of incredibly unreliable and dangerous potions.

wtf is that thing

How would you go about playing a paladin that's recovering from being a Judge Dredd-style edgelord? I'm thinking of going with Oath of Redemption, but I'm not quite sure how I want to flesh him out beyond that.

I'm not planning for it, I'm just trying to understand the philosophy better.

You know a lot of spells have verbal components. Wouldn't you know what a wizard is casting because they're shouting the spell name at the top of their lungs?

Everyone one of them told me about how they all care about the roleplay more than the fighting mechanics.

>How does an Oath of Conquest Paladin fall?

The same way as any other paladin: by willfully and repeatedly showing an utter disregard for the tenets of their Oath.

It's just that the oath in this case happens to be sociopathic and murderous.

>recovering from being an edgelord

so recovery means.. become more edgelordy? IT STINKS

>creates a 5e-thread
>posts a Stormbringer-cover

user, you're just mean.

Make every single spell require a caster check.

I want to play a Wood Elf Scout.

How do you figure?

Periodically ask, "Is there another way? A better, more peaceful way?" And then clean the goblin blood off your sword.

Do you want someone to stop you?

I don't think the verbal component is the name of the spell; it's just a bunch of arcane ramblings in some ancient rune language or some shit

Read his tenets in a very basic and literal way, is he following them exactly? Then he's fine. Does he break them often in any way for any reason? Then he's fallen.

I don't even remember what the tenets for it are but don't think too hard into them, just read it as basically as possible.

Starting a character with total strangers

First reply determines my race
First to post a pic of their armpit tells me my class
Dubs is my name

Yeah, this association is the exact reason why I'm going heavy crossbow even if the hand one is better, plus I think once I reach 7 and can War magic with my cantrips the heavy one will actually be better at that point.
I'm genuinely retarded though, but I assume that more rolls is always better since you get a higher chance to actually do the dmg in the first place and the 2x dex modifier.

I want someone to get their hands on the new version. Also I want to get into a party where everyone else isn't a god damn fucking martial, I'll never get to play anything but casters at this point.

That is not what anime has taught me about magic. Or even Harry Potter.

Gnome

Use the critical hit chart from WFRP

Also play WFRP

It's such a better system

Gnome

Gnome the Gnome

>oh i'll play an evil character who gets powers from being evil
>fine, but if you do good things (like the rest of the party wants to do), you will lose access to your powers
>that's okay, my specific brand of evil allows me to twist any good act into being evil, so i can't be penalized
Conquest, and oaths in general, were a mistake

You are now a gnome called Gnome.

Your class is Gnome

thank god for the hide post feature

I want to play a Human Battlemaster/Rogue and beat you Squirrels up.

Real armpit pic here, reverse search it as proof.

Have fun Druid.

What the fuck is growing on this man's armpit
are they skin tags

>not making your verbal components a fucking short story
youtube.com/watch?v=Na_bRv-Zg00

So there's this show Web DM, and they usually put out pretty decent content regarding 5e. They released a video about Warhammer Fantasy, and they said it was pretty decent. What are the pros and cons of Warhammer vs D&D? I've only played one session of 5e, so I have pretty low knowledge of the system.

Revised Ranger Hunter. Anyone play this class through a good run or levels? Did they ever feel overshadowed, weak, strong, boring, exciting, etc.? Common pitfalls?

Please tell.

This is now your Patron for your Hexblade and is adjusted to meet your world's lore.

So WotC revert to their old way? Sleeping in armor rule is just there to screw with martials.

>Greatsword, and it isn't even that decadent.
Dropped. Dex Master Race.

What is a cool first encounter with strahd?

It's solid, all the features are perfectly fine however the advantage on the first round of combat and ignoring difficult terrain should be pushed back a few levels.

I'm playing in a game with a Fighter, Paladin and Ranger on the frontline. Ranger feels the strongest damage dealer 100% but we have been fighting a lot of her favored enemies. Also she has gone down more then anyone but the Paladin.

Sell me on hexblades.

>old way
Did you seriously believe 5E was different

>Question, though. How does an Oath of Conquest Paladin fall?

By running from battle, showing mercy, or being bested in combat.

A Conquest Paladin should not only slay the bandit leader, he should beat him to the ground, slice off both his hands, blind him, then nail him to a crucifix at the center of his camp.

wew this is quality, I'm upping my game next session with these lines, I can't wait for my BBEG to utter these phrases

>Conquest Paladin falls
>straight out the fuckin' party because no one wants to hang around this asshole
Great job, Brad. Yeah, WE'RE totally the jerks here because you wanted to play a massive edgelord that requires the rest of our characters to turn a blind eye to its retarded shenanigans.

Gnome Druid it is. I need a name for this little shit.

Is the 5etools Bestiary kill?

Half the entries aren't working all of a sudden.

Edgy and shit.

Pretty strong UA class that received feedback for needing some slight nerfs and changes, then was buffed by mearls anyway after admitting it's his favorite class. Now any optimised party will be 3 Hexblade multiclasses and a Wizard.

It's also singlehandedly the thing that finally pushed me to ban multiclassing for reasons not directly related to what happens in game.

Gnome

you're a shitty fighter beholden to a butterknife that can be destroyed by being tossed in mount doom instead of a shitty fighter beholden to a mind-rending horror of unspeakable power from beyond the birth of time

First one was dubs.
Gnome the Gnome

>slice off his hands
>crucify

Rollin'

>5etools classes section down
>o shit i bet they got a xanthar's leak and are adding class options in
>check back an hour later, it's back up
>tables are yellow now
shit

Glorin, Son of Grindle

Satan no his name is GNOME

Oh! Gnome the Gnome Druid. I gno this is gonna be shit. Thanks ho/tg/uys

This to a certain extent, in fact I dare say the oath is much harder to avoid not falling from because most oaths just require you to be a good guy. To be a Conquest Paladin you have to actively be a giant asshole, but balance that with not having the party murder you.

Whats with people wanting to see paladins fall? Envy? Oaths are fucking simple in 5e stop being retarded

>boring human mook
>badass beast assassin
really makes me think

Maybe they're adding new monsters?

>jesus invented crucification
>you need hands to be crucified

>>Whats with people wanting to see paladins fall?
>I'm not trying to make my player fall, I'm just curious how it's supposed to work.

wait what?

Web DM is alright. Pruitt reeks of Nu-male, and Jim Davis has some really deep held beliefs about what DnD is and isn't- he seems like a cool dude, but I wouldn't want to play in a game of his.

>Friends want to play 5e
>Write up short thematic background that ties in with the campaign the DM outlined
>Everyone else is just some dude

What's with people wanting to play a class whose eternal fluff involves following rules, but also not wanting to follow the rules, or there to be any penalty for failing to follow them?

What happened? Did a sword killed your dad or fucked your mom?
Use a spear if you so autistic about pointy sticks

Curiosity is anything but innocent.

Is a fucking ESL seriously trying to talk shit?

>I call upon thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy fury of thunder.
>Form a torrential vortex and engulf the evil spirits.
>Reduce these evil souls to ashes.
>I call upon the power of the holy blades.
>Let the merciless embrace of frost take thee!
>Engulf these pathetic souls!

I'm not huge on Paladins, but when I play them I'd be very upset if I didn't have to deal with the oath. I want to have serious decisions about whether it's worth breaking it this one time and to have to actively shape my choices around it.

If I just wanted holy themed warrior I'd be a Cleric or a Fighter who prays.

Dropping to 0 should be more of a penalty, it's way too easy to manage now.

And in a lot of way better to be at low HP since any heal can bring you up and you can take an absurd amount of damage without outright dying.

Hell yeah bro, there's not even any real descriptions of deities in the PHB or DMG so that's why my Cleric of Eldath is all about murdering people and the Cleric of Kossuth in my other group gives baths to the poor.

Lizardfolk with a bow = archer
Lizardfolk with a crossbow = ?
English is not my native language

Crossbowlizardman

Also an archer.
If you really need a crossbow-specific word, there's "arbalestier", though that might give some people the impression than he's using a different form of crossbow.

CrossbowLizardman