/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
"Still no PDF" edition.

casterts>martials

>no pdf
kill me

Casters>Half-Casters>Monk>Rogue>Barbarian>Fighter

I'm putting together a somewhat belated Halloween session for my party. We're going to do candles, eery music, the works.

The session is going to revolve around them exploring a castle that turns out to *be* the local necromancer - he took himself apart and fused his flesh into being the heart of the castle such that he could control every aspect of the structure.

Now his servants bring back those who are foolish enough to come within his grasp, such that he can pull them apart in his dungeon and add their flesh to his castle's control.

The structure is going to be heavily populated with arms growing from the walls and eyes in paintings and the like.

My question is, what other things could I include that would maximise the spook factor? I want my players to have nightmares.

Why is even 5eg infected with autism? What happened?

Intestine chutes filled with cilia that slowly digest whatever travels through them.

What are the really useful parts of the DMG in Veeky Forums's opinion?

Magic items. Also, I don't think PHB explains experience and CR.

4e skill challenges section
5e custom monster math by CR, 5e custom DCs

That's all I really use these days.

How about go fuck yourself?

If i were to guess, i'd say Xanathar's Guide to Everything happened. Fucking splatbooks.

Magic items, encounter building, and creating custom monsters.

Really all of it deserves a skim through, but the designing encounters, running the game, treasure and magic items, variant rules sections are all good.

But Xanathar's seems fucking amazing. It's not the supplement at fault but the whining entitled autists.

>wanting balance
>entitled
You want to know how I know you're a wizard player?

Anybody have some nice suggestions on how to make way of the 4 elements monk less shit?

read the fucking book

reduce all ki point costs by 1, ignore errata.

or use that one fan made remake.

I play whatever seems fun, you fucking autist. You casters and martials shitters are all entitled whiners.

make it a spellcasting subclass, like EK fighter or AT rogue. use wis for spellcasting ability. spend ki for spell slots like sorcerers.

DONT use the "community" fix for it, its pure shit that doubles down on all the worse aspects.

Eh too be fair there's a few issues with XGE, some great stuff as well though. Feel like there was some things they should've gotten more feedback on.

Samurai got nerfed to hell and back, Cavalier is now looking awesome though. Hexblade didn't get it's troublingly powerful features reworked, but now summons a specter that will likely feel OP against most enemies and worthless against others. Elven Accuracy was actually fairly balanced in a way that works.

It's really a grab bag of good choices and terrible ones at this point.

I WNAT XANATHAR STUFF NOW

>Listening to more Critical Role
>Half the party and NPCs are gay now

It feels like there’s a bit of blowback from the Election.

Good points, bro, but I still want to have a physical copy to look over and play with before I make any concrete judgements.

the people that profit from culture wars went into overshill mode.

Same, I'm hoping it's mostly on the side of good choices because they did say they tried to follow what the people said they want.

Some other things we've heard about I'm happy with, like the Warlock Invocation that lets you see through walls. Now it lasts much longer but requires concentration so it can be used for exploration. Also the tables to make backgrounds and class fluff tables seem like a really really useful thing to have.

Very little.
Half the book is magic items and random charts.
But rather than giving a frame work for making items (as a DM) it's just page after page of poorly organized stuff.
The alternative setting material is decent and it has a chart for monsters listed by CR
But the build your own monster and assigning CR were really poorly done especially if magic comes into play.
Basically, half the book is an inventory list and a third of the remainder can be summed up with various ways of writing DM Fiat and dissembling away from offering any under the hood insight.

theres like 1 bi character in the party, 1 gay who used to be in the party, and 1 lesbian couple NPC, is there really any others? hardly "half the party"

>summons a specter that will likely feel OP against most enemies and worthless against others.
Isn't this more or less what being balanced is?

That makes me wonder: Is it gay if you play a female character that likes men?

if you have to ask, it most likely is gay

Is spell-less Ranger balanced? It seems alright but I'm not sure if it's worth using compared to just playing a Scout or whatever.

>want to play as strict a transmuter as possible
>no offensive transmutation cantrips
Should I stick to my principles or pack something extra just in case? I don't think gust is going to cut it.

1 is too many

Seemed like there were a lot more.

Not really, though it can get weird.

That in itself is great and a change from their previous company policy (and definitely a godsend compared to PF's playtesting fiascos). Yet people still whine they haven't changed anything and didn't listen to anyone. There's being disingenuous and there's being a blatant liar.

Yeah, those things you mentioned I'm liking also, they're great stuff.

Is it odd that the thing in the book I'm most looking forward to are the things that expand your background? And I'm a DM currently.

I love this, thanks!

Now if I could only work out a good way to put a map together...

I love background things in official books honestly, even though I've never played it I often use the Pathfinder generation stuff to get rough ideas for characters and then fleshing it out myself.

Sometimes the tables just combine a bunch of events and by the time you think "How the hell do these link together" you have a good character.

>is there really any others?
Gilmore is gay and Scanlan would probably put his dick in anything that let him. That's about it.
It probably seems overblown to some people because the gay NPCs are the ones the players like and stay relevant, so they show up more.

You should make a castle themed after cells. One type of enemy should be ghostly blobs, that are in fact white cells. The corridors should feel like blood vessels, and rooms themed after organs such as the spleen, the liver (a chemist's room where various poisons and alchemical substances are processed), the intestines (a chute like a good person said), the heart (a living, moving core pulsating with negative energy that heals the undead in the castle until it is taken down) and the kidneys (a waste disposal factory leading towards the sewers), and of course a brain marrow with fleshy wires that lead up to the brains of the castle, the Necromancer's lair, which is in the upmost room and who should first invite the party to perfectly normal tea because he is a polite man, and then attempt to destroy them should they refuse to leave him alone or compensate for the havoc they have wrecked (make it a ridiculous sum while he complains about how difficult it was to make the intestine chute, and how prime materials are more and more difficult to gather because as soon you get close to a cementery there are already two holy priests trying to blast you and your poor, cute innocent minions)

Is there a difference between a tiefling and a satyr?

Thinking I might ask my DM if I can play a Mystic. I've got a question about it though.

Is a Mystic who doesn't use any of that physical/elemental crap going to be decent? I want to focus pretty much exclusively on mental and telekinetic abilities rather then fire, teleporting, growing wings and shit like that.

Tiefling has fiendish heritage, a satyr is a fey creature and also not a PC race

If my military doctrine fueled battlemaster bites the dust in chult i'm considering rolling his grieving wife as a character to avenge his death

A Tiefling is basically a Post Roman Judeo-Christian Conquest Satyr, literally "demonized" so that people would come to the Roman empire for integration

Shit's fine, don't abuse the wonky disciplines.

its shit tier hot garbage. fuckers clunky as all hell, and breaks the game in subtle but fundamental ways

Tiefling are basically Satyr in my setting, figure it's better then the edgy fluff of demonblood or whatever. Gives them an actual place in the world and a reason not to be nearly extinct or bred out.

So with the new magic item crafting rules, common tier magic items and the rules for making/using mundane tool proficiencies in XGE. Will Artificer actually become good with their Expertise in so many tools?

I don't suppose we have any idea on WHEN we're getting a pdf for Xanathar's do we?

Some guys are working on it, technically the book isn't even out yet so I'd wait until then.

is it the dude's i saw in a thread a couple days ago talking about some phone app that could be used to make a pdf or something like that? just out of curiosity.

Don't know anything about that sorry. There are at least two guys working on it, don't really know anything else other then that. They said they were a fair while ago and I assume they have a book preordered that they'll use to make it.

I think the XGE content is released a bit earlier for online apps and someone might easily P
rint Screen it.

Of course, that is only to sate our curiosity until the physical book arrives, obviously.

Do you make them use the Druid spell list or what?

>Area where the Weave is screwed up.
Thanks user, my next bbeg will be a bard who sung so hard he ripped a hole in the weave and learnt every spell imaginable. He could probably even make his own now.

Do you need grid rules to get tactical 4e type combat in 5e? Or so you just need varied and useful abilities?

This

If you're not playing with grid, you're doing it wrong

Is there a dog equivalent to the Tabaxi?

I don't think that's actually possible in lore, there are built-in safeguards unless you were engaging in shadow weave fuckery (which isn't possible now because it no longer exists) or elven high magic. And even when it is, doing it gets every single priest of Mystra, Azuth, Savras, and Velsharoon mad as fuck and hating you forever.

Little of column a, little of column b. All the grid based combat in the world won't help if everyone just attacks/firebolts/whatevers every turn. You can have varied and useful abilities in combat, but the options that affect placement and mobility (shoves, grapples, difficult terrain etc) are harder to fully utilise without a grid.

Does anyone have any info on the hexblade or kensei? I'm really interested in what the armour of hexes does now, especially whether it takes your reaction

Kill yourself, furfag

Yeah druid list makes the most sense.

PURE SHIT

I pre-ordered Xanathar's while I was out, so I assume the pdf is available somewhere.

After a couple of "red ray, pointed finger", I'm sure you the player would know just as well as your character would.

Yeah, that is reasonable. 5e needs a bit more in the vein of interesting attack options I think.

Does the hexblade's hex still apply after EB?

Hey 5eg.
I've got an abandoned wizard's tower coming up in my campaign that a griffon is using as a temporary perch.
I'm planning on teasing my players with promises of magic items to get them interested, but I feel like dealing with a single griffon could be boring.
So I want to trap the tower a bit, but I'm having some difficulty coming up with interesting traps.

Does anyone mind tossing some ideas my way? I'd appreciate it.

Some ideas I have already:
>Glyph of Warding books
>Rug of Smothering
>Humonculi

Imps
bored succubus trapped in an inward facing magic circle

What are the individual things that you would ask for if someone who had Xanathar's Guide To Everything was reading this thread and was willing to tell them to you, even if not willing to fuck up the book for scanning?

Mine personally :
>Bard Spells
>Druid Grove
>Soul Cage
>Divine Soul Sorcerer
>Shepard Druid

That's it I guess

Funny that you mention it, my players first dungeon was evil mage's tower. Evil mage was not that strong, and he was absent at the time, but it didn't make the dungeon any less dangerous.
My favourite trap was a broom of animated attack. We were playing in roll20, so I had the liberty of giving it's attacks a custom name. I've decided on "taking out the trash".
It nearly killed the party's paladin entirely on it's own. Later, a mimic almost claimed druid's life.

Gnolls I guess

>Animated Broom of Attack
>Wizard Tower

We Fantasia now?

Going about it the wrong way. Figure out mechanical effects of a trap first, then justify it in the fluff. Then figure out additional rules based on fluff.

Why wouldn't a wizard enchant a broom to clean for him anyway? It's not like he's gonna trust his apprentice not to fuck everything up.

>First time party with first time DM
>First time character death is me lvl 8, bit unsatisfied since I rolled 2 1's
>DM gf almost cried
>Party able to get my body to a temple and pay for a rez in a week DM ends session and pulls me aside a bit after
>Says at this point death means nothing but a bit of gold so next session he will roll a 20, 10 or better I live. What my companions do to get ready for the ritual can give me another point or 2 to my threash hold, he can give me 1 or 2 since I'm first death on first character.
Still a pretty real chance of not making it, Im working on a druid which I secretly wanted to play but losing my heal built cleric will really drop the party healing.
>Should I feel bad about that?
>How sad is the appropriate amount of sad over a game character? DM gf seemed to think i took it too well.
Lastly, in the session before last I gave a sealed scroll and an instruction scroll to the in keep to be opened if I died (we were about to fight a dragon) but took both back and put on me. If I stay dead they will find them. Was thinking
1. I had a vision, wrote it on the scroll, party is asked to deliver it somewhere (party never sees scroll but it says "Packers win the Superbowl wew)
2. Same but with a serious vision
3. Maybe Veeky Forums has a good idea? I'm not that creative I come from Veeky Forums - pic related it's an artist rendition of that time I fell in the manlet pit

Eh that's pretty fair, most DM's kinda don't like easy revives. You used to actually lose EXP for it but now it's just gold costs. Also no shame in not being too sad, I get happy when characters have a heroic end because it means I get to try something new and they had a good ending.

As for the scroll, maybe it's a will? Or wishes for what you want done with your body? Could lead into a nice side quest if maybe his family needs something.

Druids are good healers still, they have amazing battlefield control and are better at preventing damage rather then healing it.

I really like this idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't really fit with the theme I'm going for.
I should have been more specific, I apologize.

Basically, the wizard just kept to himself, only coming down from his tower to purchase food and to occasionally go on trips to get components or books.
His research was almost exclusively directed at imbuing inanimate objects with simple directives.
His goal was to make things that he could sell to common folk to make their lives easier.

That's fucking amazing. I'm going to use the broom for sure.
Thanks for sharing!

>DM gf almost cried
I would call bullshit, if I didn't play with somebody like that. She would cry all the time not only when characters died, but also when they could die soon, or when we made a "wrong" decision, or just because.
God, she was a pain to play with.

Not that I'm without sin, though. I nearly ragequit when a random goblin shaman turned out to be a superpowered boss, who had multiple save-or-die attacks. I didn't die, but I was turned to stone, which is worse.

Should I work on a game set in the world of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! or a game set in not!Egypt with a Mythic Fantasy feel to it?

Feel like mixing it up, and both the mega old school fantasy and something new appeal to me.

Lol she does get a bit panicky when she's making death saves, and did make a pretty 'unique' character but she's a good and fun player.
That does remind me, if someone needs a bit of help with rules math or the geometry of a spell is it metagaming to help them?

That may be, but if I go druid I'm going transform mode

Ok. A bored Dao, with the polimorph power, disguised as a gnome, trapped in an inward facing magic circle. It's not hostile and if freed wants to "help" you uncover the wizards treasures. Really it wants them for himself and is "suprised" if the pcs fall foul of any traps. Pick a funny accent
"Oh no! Who put that trap there? Who would have guessed the wizard would protect this? Not me."

>turned to stone, which is worse
Why is it worse?
Our cleric had a bad habit of being constantly petrified. Once she ran into a room with a medusa and turned to stone before the others even made it into the room.
Second time she took a petrification ray from a death tyrant and failed the save spectacularly. The third time she picked up a cursed dagger that aged her a few years and petrified her once again.
After that she went mad and quit adventuring after stealing all of the party's gold and killing the servant NPCs in the middle of the night.

>is it metagaming to help them?
yea, but it is also metagaming to say you roll for attack. metagaming is not something that should be necessarily shunned.
It is just word for game-related things happening at the table and not in-game.

Just don't be dick and try to read other players reactions, if you can.

You're right.
I have the mechanics of the traps I've come up with in mind, but there is such a thing as over-sharing.
The purpose of the traps is to pepper and excite the players before they reach the dungeon boss. I'm not designing them to be lethal.

I.E.
>push to/pull from rooms
>guard passages/rooms

I want to make my next character essentially Captain Ahab and focus on using only harpoons (javelins).
How do I build this? Any fun ideas?

Mountain Dwarf Vengeance Paladin Sailor

Also, dump wisdom

>Why is it worse?
Because when an orc kills you with his axe, a cleric can cast Revify (a 3 level spell) and bring you back. Or cast Gentle Repose on your corpse and bring you back later.
When you get petrified, you must be brought back with Greater Restoration, a 5 level spell. Most campaigns don't last until 5 level spells, and good luck finding a high level NPC cleric.

And you need to transport the body too. It's easy when you die - the party can just drag your corpse with them.
When you get petrified, you become a stone statue that's impossible to lift and transport in a reasonable game scenario.

When you die, you have an option of making a new character. Now, sometimes your return is not immediate (like you're in the middle of a megadungeon, and it would be stupid for an adventurer to pop up there randomly), but still.
When you get petrified, your character is still technically alive, just not contributing to anything or getting experience. So if your party decides, against all odds and hardships, to drag you all the way to the long quest of finding a helpful cleric (who will probably give them a quest to "prove themselves" before casting greater restoration), good luck playing anything in the meantime. Just watch a movie on your phone or something.

The lone griffon encounter will be rough to make interesting. I suggest statting out the encounter rather than the monsters.

Take a lone monster appropriate for the party level and composition. I assume you've done the cr guidelines and determined that the griffon is one of these. So use the griffons hp, saves, and damage per round as guidelines.

Give the encounter some legendary actions.

So for what you've described, I might do the following. The top of the wizards tower is a maze with narrow passageways made of bookcases. The griffon has roosted up there. One of it's legendary actions might be to grapple a player and drop them in an unknown location in the maze. But other legendary actions might be to do some random magical effect from the wizards library. There would be a chart. From there I fluff the magical effects as glowing energies coming from books. The players can trigger these effects as well. And so on.

Do Not-Egypt and use Planeshift: Amonkhet as a resource.

>is it metagaming to help them?

Its metagaming if you're telling them how to play their character more efficiently. If they're asking, "Hey, how does a cone work on a grid again?", its not.

You're pathetic.

Jesus, /5eg/ is getting really desperate. We've gone from "Hey Xanathar's is coming out soon, can't wait!" to, "Hey, is it out yet? Hey, is it out yet?" to "Its out (even though it isn't), someone want to leak?" and having shit like "Still no PDF edition" instead of an interesting thread question.

Swashbuckling paladin tin can? Sounds lile it could be fun. Vengeance paladin is really fitting.

Don't know about dwarf though.

We get new splatbooks once per year, user, it's always an event.

People are pieces of shit who don't realise whoever finally does release it is taking considerable time out of their life and paying money. Also yeah the book isn't even out in like 99% of places until later this month.