MTG Lore Thread: Ixalan History Part 2

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/planeswalkers-guide-ixalan-part-2-2017-11-08
Legion of Dusk did nothing wrong!

So. The southern nations saw the writing on the walls, went all in on naval tech, GTFO when it was their turn to get curbstomped, then tried to be peaceful when they hit Ixalan but the dinofuckers were being bitchy, and only THEN turned to piracy?
Interesting way of doing it.

They are trying to go the everyone is neither good or bad, but the Legion is the worse. The thing is the Legion is the best part of this set both lore, ascetics, and qts.

I am hoping in the next set we get the saint or the Queen as a card, pretty pumped on the Vampires of the set.

>So uh, I guess we have to write a bit about vampires. They've got this Pedron the Wicked guy and this Elenda chick. Also, their country was called Torrezon and their continent is called Torrezon now and I can't be bothered to come up with any other names for any characters or locations concerning the vampires.
>Oh wow! Pirates! Did you know Beckett Brass sailed the Scourge and fought Jareth Wake who sailed Squid Eyes?! Also, Brass has a first mate, Lex Briggs and a ship goblin, Swab! Did you know Beckett Brass has a whole bunch of fearsome ships in her fleet such as the Hangman's Noose (captained by Sedden Dray), the Witch's Windlass (captained by Farrien Goss), the Windbinder (with its helmsmage-captain Kalishah Abban)?!

The bias is real.

Yeah there love for shitty Grandma Pirates and secret distaste for cute catholic vampires is really starting to piss me off.

I like how everyone is shades of grey here.

They could have portrayed the Sun Empire as a nation of Pocahontas, but they were still pretty abusive and forced the pirates to be what they are.

Holy comment much righteous.

I don't know, the vampires haven't had much of their moral ambiguity shown. In all of the fiction so far, they have been depicted as weird and villainous.

I think it's important to contrast them with your more typical vampires--the Legion of Dusk is probably the most villainous faction, but they're not evil in the over-the-top, decadent way that, say, Innistrad vampires tend to be.

Honestly wish we had gotten more info on the vamps than we did, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

What I REALLY want is some info on the other legends. We got an info dump for Beckett here, Vona and Tishana are in the story, Koplala and Mavren got a cameo so where the fuck are Lannery and Gishath? Honestly, I'd take a paragraph at this point.

It's clear the crative director cares more about the vampires since they were the key idea for the set. But the SJW writers care more about the pirates because they're poor opressed minorities boo hoo hoo.
Nobody within WotC seem to give a shit about the natives tho.

I don't know why they only did 7 stories and now they are just stalling for time till the next set, they could have easily wrote 12 chapters.

I mean, this is a creative team that is so averse to the concept of accountability that they censored the author of every story so you don't know whose fault it is when the story is terrible. I don't think any duplicitous malpractice is beneath them.

>trying to stop the writers getting harrassed is being adverse to accountability

>critique is harrassment now
what a world we live in

well you can harass someone with critiques.

I mean, you could stop the writers from getting harassed in various ways. But the route they chose was to be as averse to accountability as possible. Then again, WotC has proven itself to be pretty averse to accountability in general so this move is in the spirit of the company directive, isn't it?

I was secretly hoping that the Legion would be portrayed as deeply, deeply terrified of death, thus their devotion and zeal to get the Sun.

A story or few focusing on the nobodies from different factions would've been fantastic, especially if they showed another side to a faction that we haven't really seen thus far.

>a vampire on a Dusk ship who's basically lawful good, recounting their experience with the church and exploring different interpretations of the WB color identity.
>a pirate who is the worst kind of asshole the UBR Coalition has to offer. Bonus points if they aren't killed in the end.

But they can't openly depict conquistadors as good guys, even in a setting where all factions are unabashedly grey.

They could just make the vampire in question also a sassy independant woman who ain't got time for that, that goes off to join the Pirates.

Why would a holy warrior of the mighty Legion of Dusk deign herself to work alongside filthy heretics?

So when is that 'evil' merfolk guy going to team up with the crazy vampire chick, get himself bitten, have his spark ignite, and become a GW Merfolk Vampire planeswalker?

That's guy only been represented by U cards so far and his attitude definitely ain't white. An evil vampire merfolk would be UB.

I know people have been asking about an update to the Planeswalker tier list so I decided to take a crack at it.

>inb4 it's shit

Swap narset and sorin

Maybe bring KANG not-Teysa down to worse than Nissa Tier. But generally very hard to argue with.

Also consider swapping Karn and Vraska depending on what happens in Rivals, since Vraska is CUTE and Karn hasn't shown up in more than half a decade. As for Angrath, he's already in top bro-tier from the getgo and I doubt he'll change.

Sorin and Nahiri are equal as far as stupidity goes. I'd definitely put them in the same bracket

It's actually not all that bad. I think you can kick Nahiri down one grade and I think it's mandatory you kick Kaya or whatever the fuck her name is down to the bottom next to Samut.

I like it though. Good chart.

Put Ajani in God-Tier.

He could go up a notch, potentially, depending on how things go.
I'm honestly surprised that Nahiri and Sorin weren't next to each other with their text simply being REEEEE
Other than the other things that have been said about Karn, Vraska, Ajani, and Kaya, I'd say swapping the positions of Bolas and Ugin so it reads better.

After considering your comments I have bumped Sorin and Ajani up while knocking Karn and Narset down. As for Angrath, I'll add him once Rivals comes out, but he is definitely going right into Bro-tier, higher if his card is actually good and he doesn't fuck up in the story

Kaya remains where she is on account of my belief that there should be only one walker in the worst tier and between the two Kaya is more interesting as a character. But not by much.

Nah. They both belong there.

How do you pronounce Viashino?

vee-ah-shee-no

Aesthetics, retard.

>People shat on me when I commented months ago just after PAX that SJW mtg will make white vampire Spanish Empire the evil guys of the set with no redeeming quality
>Turns out I was right
Who knew, right?

It's more like they expect the players to be more excited about Pirates and Dinosaurs than Vampires and Merfolk and therefore put the emphasis on the former two.

Do people really like Ob that much? he's just angry guy turned demon from what I've read.

>no redeeming quality
That's where you're wrong. The vampires do have redeeming qualities, they just haven't been given sufficient characterization or detail. What they suffer from is the indifference of their creators, not being made into villains.

He beat up the Gatewatch during the moment they were insufferable, and it was very entertaining. At this point Bolas did it better, but it was nice for what it was.

Who would have thought that fucking Jace would be in god tier one day?

Is Freya still an Oldwalker on her card?

Yes. I believe all The C14 Planeswalkers cards represent them as oldwalker. The catch is the planeswalker card abilities are not their "full power" just what they're willing to do for you at the moment.

I dunno, ascetics also applies. What with the whole blood fasting thing.

/wɛː'aɕinɔ/? /weʔeʔə'ʃeʔeʔno/? /'viːʔəʂiʔnʊ/?

So they're aesthetic ascetics.

That was always the justification for planeswalker cards. The creation of nuwalkers had nothing to do with making them cards and everything to do with WotC really wanting Hollywood to make a movie about them.

>Ugin god tier
>a lying scaly liar
No.

Then why isn't Teferi's just "+1 Exile Teferi. It gains Suspend 20"? He never gave a fuck about anyone other than Jhoira and his people. He's pretty much T'Challa with magic powers.

Because gameplay trumps flavor.

You shut your whore mouth, Ugin is so pue that he transcends colors.

It's like someone decided to put Innistrad vampires pseudo-holy conqueror armor.

Mate, Sarkhan has a dragon fetish.

Don't bully the Otherkin.

>not putting Nissan in hitler tier

>Gideon that low
>Ugh in that high

jace has a harem at this point, while Gideon was taught bondage magic by a prison warden and pleased men for money or just to bond.

I think it also helps that Ob is a classical evil- he's not meant to be pitied/empathized with like Liliana or Nahiri and he doesn't have overarching master plans like Bolas and isn't a chump follower like Tezzeret.

Ob is evil because he ENJOYS being evil.

Sarkhan also somehow managed to create his perfect world where his bullies are now lackeys and he has his own waifu to love him back, all while resurrecting one of the few Big Goods the multiverse has. He's living the dream.

I haven't been keeping up with these charts as of lately, but I'm pretty sure part of Jace being god-tier is his new characterization as a ripped sexy puppy with a harem of dangerous women who want his dick.

And depending on how they interact in Rivals, Vraska may qualify for God tier by being prime waifu+ turning against Bolas, assuming Jace doesn't try to kill her or anything.

>No "Did everything wrong" Tier with only Urza.

>resurrecting one of the few Big Goods the multiverse has.

Ugin is more like "Big Neutral". Opposed to Bolas's "I will be an Oldwalker again!" Ugin is all "All I every wanted to do was study, and you fuckers keep fucking that up!"

Was anyone else really hoping that the Vampire army was sent by Baron Sengir?

Daretti's doesn't, simply because Daretti's the only one of the group who wasn't an oldwalker.

Thing is, they have been given a redeeming motivation.

It's just that they're severely underfocused.

Really liked this lore update, good way of explaining the backgrounds of the worlds without forcing them into exposition in the main story.

It really is a shame, yeah.
Hell, they seem to have been tricked into vampirism in the first place if I'm reading things right.

Whatever happened to that guy?

Nothing.

The vampires are neutral/good guys in flavor text where the creative team has influence.
They're only always evil opressors of poor POCs in the stupid fiction written by soy boys and women who don't have the balls to even sign their work.

I think Kumena is going to be mono green, the survival of the fittest (using the power of Orzaka) kinda one, much like Vorinclex. Secondly the other 2 legendary merfolk rapresent already the other tribal colors: Kopala is mono blue and Tishana is UG.

Btw Vampires and Dinos had their gods cards confirned long ago, but will Merfolks get something?

Maybe a huge elemental

You forgot her dreafully infamous cutlass, Ripper, which strikes fear into the hearts of men (although it just typically strikes the hearts of men despite being a cutlass it can still be used for striking hearts because Brass is excellent with swordsplay)

More like he's so rotten even black refuses to represent him.

Jesus Christ. Even her sword gets a name while they can't be fucked to come up with name for important locations in Torrezon or its monarchs.

There is only one monarch in Torrezon, sacred queen Miralda.

As far as anyone knows, he's still kickin it on Ulgrotha, chillin with an army of undead, his wacky "family", and a planar portal in his basement. Dude could show up anywhere at any time and it would probably improve the shit out of the set.

>Jace being a beta fag to both lilli and vraska means he has a harem
Jace, you cant mind control people into liking you. Or you could, but you are too much of a pussy to do it to people you know.

But what of the apostasine princes that started the civil war, or the ones that were there when it ended? What of the monarch that fathered the two princes and the queen-to-be that started it all?

literally who
wotc doesn't care about whitey; they're the villains

Maybe as a creature, sure, but I'd love WOTC having a villainous W/G character who's both a merfolk and a vampire, creating something that would be completely out of place in any other plane he'd show up in.

Also, I want a W/G Merfolk Vampire just because it'd confuse the fuck out of anyone who doesn't know about him.

Could Merfolk be any more tacked on in this block?

Yes, they could. They're integrated a bit and have some lore significance - but they're the NPC Tribe of the block by far.

I imagine creative reeeeeeeing at R&D because Mono White Vampires went undefeated at the Pro Tour. The only reason there weren't 3-4 MWV decks in the top 8 was because their pilots sucked at the draft rounds.

>Mono White Vampires went undefeated at the Pro Tour
Oh baby have I not been paying attention. I've been playing that list for a while.

Just a quick question, but are undead immune to Eldrazi influence? I know Liliana's zombies seemed to be resistant, but I'd like to know the extent of the resistance and if that immunity can be found in the broader spectrum of the undead.

Ob-nix literally ends worlds for fun, can't get much more evil than that.

Hear me out bro, a mono gree merfolk that transforms if you control a vampire and becomes a WG planewalker. One of it's abilities creates merfolk vampires token 1/1 with hexproof and lifelink and the ultimate creates an emblem that shares every keyword for vampires and merfolk.

Making it the most incredible lord for both tribes, and yet out of place

>Bolas knew and made eternals (4/4) just to counter Emmy corruption (3/2).
Now this is something

I dont think the eternals can be compleated either, since they already reached perfection. Thus can't turn against him.

Just how much does Nicol Bolas know?

>winged being

Azor/Ugin confirmed

Emmy affects biological lifeforms; All fully undead are immune to her influence. Notably this means Innistrad's zombies and spirits are fine, but the vampires there are susceptible, presumably because they're one of the more alive versions of vampiric undeath.

It feels pretty bad that they're being defined by their minimal impact on the forrest, but they're not analogous with Ixalan forrests because FUCKING DINOSAURS demand such focus.

It actually sucks bullshit actually because the jade aesthetic is shockingly good, and a city of their own would really fucking help.

Trust Wizards of the Coast to make a war between Vampires and Dinosaurs boring.

I guess this is the best place to ask:

Did Amonkhet's story just... end with Bolas' attack?

Like, what about Samut rising as a walker? Djeru turning truly good and realizing he was wrong? Did the plane even survive?

Like, what the fuck?

Nobody cares about that plane. Before Kalandesh you didn't even know it existed

did we know ixalan existed?

My point is that the cards pointed at a story that was not delivered, so we don't know what the fuck happened/is happening.

Bolas fucked their shit up and now the people are rebuilding their world, not knowing that it is actually dying because Nick rammed his Godwalker dick into it so hard that it can't recover. I doubt we'll be going back anyway, so the aftermath doesn't matter in the end.

What's a soy boy? a milquetoast guy that only eats tofu and organic soy milk?

Bolas attacked Amokhet, all gods are dead, but Azoret who is now guiding the few survivors in the desert together with Samut. The Gatewatch dispersed and so did the story without out protagonist.

The same goes for every plane we are not actualy in.
>what is happening in Mirrodin right now, did the oil spread?
>Is Instrad recovering after all that bullshit
>What are Mazirek and Ral Zarek plans?
>Was bara cat able to gather allies (why the fuck are you doing in Ixalan 2.0)?