/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
How many casters do you prefer to have in a party?

Only one.

ALL CASTER PARTY BAYBEE!

What happens if you stoneshape a petrified creature then restore them

Cronemberg

Life is meaningless and depressing, and I'm focusing on D&D to escape that fact. It's pitiful.

>tfw your life will never have as much meaning as your character's

Is there a gameplay reason why Bard and Sorcerer won't dip a level in Hexblade Warlock? Actually even Sword and Board Paladin could use a dip of it too.

They don't want to be in melee, use shields, or use armor.

We have two in our current party (Bard and Druid) with two half casters (Paladin and Artificer) and a straight Fighter

Sometimes I feel like my list might overlap with the druid (bard) but I've seen them do little more than Moonbeam/Thornwhip in combat. (In fact they have yet to even use wildshape either... They mostly just talk to plants)

Ideally I do like there to be an arcane usesr (Wiz/Sorc/War/Bard) and a divine (cleric, druid)

HOW DO YOU /PALADIN/ ?

Valor/Sword Bard do

>tfw it doesn't matter because nothing matters so just enjoy things anyway

Sword Bard sure, Valor Bard can be ranged.

Why wouldn't anyone want to use shield and armor? You can get hit even if you aren't in melee.

Maybe they just don't like the image of it and don't want to have a shield/armor.

Is Pass Without Trace really OP like I hear?

+10 stealth is pretty damn good

USE THE CORE OPTIONS YOU FUCK
Crown paladin is okay too

That is not a gameplay reason. Which is what was specifically ask for.

Because your DM should kick you ass for being cancerous.

+10 stealth to the whole party is pretty good. Especially with group stealth rule.

It should let you auto pass most creature passive perception.

You'll still be seen if you stand in front of someone but it's strong, most importantly because it'll help the person with the worst stealth in the team
Why even bother being a rogue?

The main thing about it is it's limited to only shadow monks / rangers / druids.

Its the only thing that makes Earth Genasi appealing over other +Str + Con classes.

Do you actually enforce don/doff times for shields? Seems like a good way to fuck over sword'n board arbitrarily while GWM niggers don't need to bother.

Assuming they aren't abusing it for things like grappling, obviously.

and by classes I obviously mean races.

Because a rogue with pass without trace is...

Why arent you donning them all the time anyway?

>be shadow monk
>cast pass without trace so we won't be seen
>rogue says he rolled a 30+
>I don't doubt it

Ancients Bardadin

If you don't enforce it ranged users (already better than meleefags) can just put it on at the end of every other turn
It also further invalidates war caster, further invalidates the point of sword-and-boarding (Because a guy with a maul can put on a shield at the end of every other turn) and so forth

I'd say you can allow no action to don/doff if you can trust your players not to abuse it.

All I can really think of in most games is Story reasons and personal choices as to why they would not take a level into Hexblade Warlock.

Maybe they want their 20th level capstone?

>if someone in my party had it my Rogue could beat a 40
>Bad guy's face when the Rogue poofs into a cloud in broad daylight

I don't think its possible to roll a 50+ with pass without a trace right?

I said 30+
I don't know how high stealth can get

Even my shadow monk is rolling with around +19

>+12 Expertise
>+5 DEX
>+10 Pass Without Trace
>Advantage from Supreme Sneak

27 base, so a max of 47 with those three things. And at 11 they get Reliable Talent, so the lowest they could possibly roll is a 37.

In one campaign I'm playing a Devotion paladin with "Boots of Jumping" and a halberd.
It's pretty goddamn fun.

Excuse the question if dumb but do we have any info on the Arcane Archer class mechanics yet?

Bardic Inspiration

+4 With Guidance and you could hit 51. +12 with Bardic Inspiration would put you at 63.

What are some horrible things your DM has done /5eg/?

>Excuse the question if dumb but do we have any info on the Arcane Archer class mechanics yet?
well we know the brilliant minds over at WotC already need to errata Arcane Archer because some dumbass just copy and pasted some of the UA powers but not others, so currently, Arcane Archer can't use it's 3rd level abilities until 7th level, or until the DM lets them find magic arrows.

Not get us to 20th level after 2 years because he ran out of ideas.

What a shitty DM (I fucking love my DM)

Killed my character with a gaint magical eye sucking his soul out without any chance to defend himself.

Pit the party against a werewolf when we had no magical items

Nothing too bad yet, but I really wish he'd throw some encounters that rate a little less than deadly.

Yes. I usually enforce all rules i can remember.

I think worst is how he express joy when PCs are losing.

Why aren't you playing an Elf, 5eg? It's the most broken race now

Goddamn.
Oh well back to the hole I crawled out of, then.

Because even if they are broken, I ain't playing a filthy fucking knife ear
>inb4 all elf tree-humping party

I don't care how powerful they are, you won't find me dead playing elf

>someone calls me a knife-ear
>Just wait a bit and they die of old age

gib me scans pl0x

they will when I stage the body.

Dragonborn gold on top of half-dragon silver template with sorcerer draconic ancestry blue. Asgorath champion soon.

Not as written. I usually have it so that whatever you used that turn, you have to end your turn with. No donning a shield after making 2H wep attacks, for instance. It's just a big hassle making sure people spend entire actions to not-use something.

Magic Arrow got pushed back to 7th level and no longer gives the +1 bonus. Also due to bad wording is true but Crawford has already confirmed it was unintentional and the maneuvers can be used without magic arrows.

Yes, living for hundreds of years is such an advantage when your entire species is so incompetent they need decades to learn the most basic things.

The other change that went with the move of magic arrows to 7th was the introduction of a new feature at 3 which gives:

Proficiency in one of: Nature or Arcane.

Choose one cantrip of: Prestidigitation or Druidcraft.

The class overall seems a little week, but not bad. One of my players wants to roll an arcane archer but feels its weaker than the other fighters so I will give them an extra arcane arrow to hopefully make it good.

Old fluff, 5e they grow up about as fast as anyone else.

So they already need to release a new wave with errata?

explain yourself

So far what in xanathars have they screwed the pooch on?

>be high level dwarf druid (of the mountains, not that gay forest shit)
>tfw you will outlive 99% of knife-ears

Made my character suddenly get near permanent (needs regeneration which somebody should have after the next long rest, not that the DM knew) damage from being brought to 0 a few times by fire after not having anything like that happen to the person who was frozen solid or the people who did the same death yoyo earlier with acid.

Then why is it that they never accomplish anything? Are they just lazy? Do they lack ambition?

Figher subclasses since 2/3 suck

Arcane archer.
You don't get the feature to make your arrows magic until level 7(and even then they're no longer +1)
This means you need to actually buy or obtain magic arrows in order to do your cool arcane archer stuff.
I wish I was kidding.

No they erratad that shit pretty fast I think

That got errata'd.

I was planning on multiclassing my level 10 thief into fighter for arcane archer since I pretty much only ever use a bow when playing her and my DM keeps trying to convince me into it since my character does own a plot-important magic bow but I'm not sure since it does seem a bit weak... I dunno if I should just keep going straight Rogue until hitting level 20

>Too much of a pussy to stand up for yourself.
>"I'll... I'll just... I'll just wait till you die!"
Typical elf.

>explain yourself
Every non strength build is suboptimal if you don't pick an Elf because of Elven Accuracy, a new feat from Xanathar's.

>Do you actually enforce don/doff times for shields?

Of course.

Why doesn't the "keen" effect from previous editions exist in 5e?

Oh sweet I didn't know. Anyone got a link?

Does anyone have the UA and the errata handy? Please.

Where can I find more info about my diety? Would like to do quotes by him etc
>Rogue and ranger sneak into corrupt guard Captain's house, are making all kinds of noise.
>Decide to go full priest of talos mode and give a street sermon but I don't know what to say or quote.

Anyone know if Kensei got nerfed in XGE?

>Elven Accurac
I haven't seen anything about that feat yet. What does it do?

Their fey aspect dives them to spend all their free time frolicking.

Samurai, Arcane Archer(just a fucking editing error but it'll turn people off from it), Oath of Redemption, the magic item section is pretty lame but if you believe Perkins it wasn't really going to exist in the first place, Wizards get some spells that make literally no sense for them to have. Lots of shit in Xanny's is bunk but plenty of it's pretty good too.

Because Champion Fighters exist. You could just make an item that crits on a 19 though. Should be very rare in price range if the party can buy it.

Not really worth it now that you lose the +1 to attack and damage at level 3. But let's face it, that feature was busted. One level of fighter for Archery fighting style is legit though.

I'd allow doffing as a free action, just like drawing/sheating a weapon, but donning should use an action, for sure.

>Oath of Redemption
What'd they do there?

So they are slaves to their instincts. How pitiful.
My original point still stands: what good is a long life when it's filled with nothing of worth?

google.com

They took out the unarmored defence and blunt weapon stuff IIRC

>(just a fucking editing error but it'll turn people off from it)
What's that?

They took away the interesting charm thing from them and the free AC but the free AC was busted as fuck, so I get that. The charm thing was fucking cool though, it's really a fucking shame they tossed it.

When you have hundreds of years to do anything, you become master procrastinators. Once every millenia they'll get together to do something big.

Or from a meta-narrative perspective, elves don't do anything because they're op as shit and to give the main characters and PCs a chance to actually solve their problems.

I think they made a conscious effort to cut down on expanded crit ranges because of the Advantage mechanic- re-rolls can get nutty with expanded crits.

>they removed the entire appeal of the subclass

+1 Dex, Cha, Int or Wis
You throw 3 dice instead of 2 when you have advantage on an attack roll with Dex, Cha, Int or Wis

see
and its replies

No errata has been released yet, Crawford just tweeted about it.