Fantasy Art

For all of you who love pulp fantasy aesthetics, who besides Vallejo, Frazetta, and Elmore qualifies as the masters of the art?

Vallejo is fucking shit. All the aspects of Frazetta turned worse with none of the style.

I guarantee Vallejo draws better than this idiot.

>Giant mount-beast yawns lazily
but why tho

>taildick

Welcome to the world of russian covers.

Not STRICTLY classic fantasy, but still really cool. This is Bartimaeus Sequence, the first book.

Shit, forgot the picture.

I knew user would appreciate it.

The sequel.

And the final part. I hope you guys read the trilogy, it's fucking rad.

I don't understand why this art style is dying.

It's pretty simple. It's really difficult to do it well and most artists aren't learning it. If you're an artist that wants to devote your time to learning physical paint on a physical canvas, you're probably going to go with a respectable fine art focus. If you want to make badass cool shit, you're probably going to make it with a tablet. The skill floor for this kind of art is too high to get much new blood.

It's tired.

meant for

Out of my way, peasants.

>who besides Vallejo, Frazetta, and Elmore qualifies as the masters of the art?
Shadman

>It's pretty simple. It's really difficult to do it well and most artists aren't learning it.

This. A traditional artist draws freehand a series of cars in a line receding into the vanishing point and then paints both them and the background with literal paint that you can't ctrl-z to undo if you make a mistake, a process that can take weeks. Digital artists get a 3D render of a car, clone it 30 times and trace over it with a brush tool, then scribble some vague hints of a background and call it good.

Both artists are paid the same for their work.

I don't think that it's such a bad thing. There's some really bad hand painted shit out there. Most art is bad. For every Frazetta, there's three hundred community college students with dreams but no talent.

Some digital art is great, but because it's what's easiest that's where most of the garbage is going to be right now.

I'm pretty sure that in 15-20 years there will be a painting resurgence. Not sustainably, but for a couple of years.

No one teaches it. It's really hard to find people who can teach fine art and it's hard to learn this shit from scratch.

He might be worse than Frazetta at just about everything, but he's better than a lot of the modern digital stuff.

It requires time and talent

>fire and ice
NEKROOON!

Why did fresco painting die off?

I don't know the first thing about art, so excuse me if I give a fundamentally plebian or simply uninformed opinion, but I always got the impression with a lot of old art of a very static scene. Much of that overly polished fantasy art looked to me more like a diorama of sculptures rather than a moving scene.

That's because it's painted from live models who have to hold their poses for hours.

I always hated artists like Boris Vallejo ever since I learned all of his female forms he drew from life, with models.
All those hours staring at insanely hot naked women. The level of jealous I feel threatens to outburn the sun.

hes been working hard let him rest

just an FYI if you go to college and learn life drawing you probably won't get attractive models

t. had to draw guy I knew from the RPG club making dumb comic book poses for at least two classes

is there any difference between using live models and those artist mannequins like this?

Yes, there certainly is. The human body rests itself in certain positions that are much more natural than a mannequin.

Also, seeing the actual body parts and how they fit together and interact is vital to understanding art anatomy, otherwise you'll end up with Shadman-tier art full of stiff poses and wonky anatomy with no depth.

If you want to make Frazetta-tier figures, you should take at least one life drawing class with IRL models. Just don't be a creep about it and you should be fine.

One is real and has the perfection of nature, differ shapes and forms. The other is a stand in which you use to practice poses.

Charcoal is kino.

Those arms in that sketch seem off.

It looks quick (1 hour drawing maybe) and the artist probably isn't a master of his craft, but his posing at least is decent.

>Charcoal is kino.
my man

You are right about decent posing, but I think what kills it the most is the left arm and the way it is. The character is sitting up, but their left arm looks extremely fucked up.

Had they been reaching across with their left arm grabbing their foot and right arm going right with that portion of their body going forward it could look pretty good. Or instead of making the left arm look weird as fuck, put in the back similar to the right arm, the skecth could've looked better.

Too much effort to learn by yourself, no teachers.

One thing that should also be added is that the demand for this quality of art simply isn't there. How many modern fantasy fans overlap with fine art enthusiasts?

It looks like their left arm is broken at the elbow. It's bending backwards...

Judging by the threads like this that keep coming up on Veeky Forums, maybe more than you'd think? Not necessarily enough, and the whole world could be clamoring for it and it wouldn't matter if the publishers don't realize it, but still.

One thing that bothers me is when people say things like "Drawing realistic scenes is nothing special, anyone can do it." or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, taking any sort of implement other than a camera and making a picture that looks recognizably like anything found in reality is magic. I can't do it and I am in awe of anyone who can.

That's what elbows do. My elbow does that if I lean heavily on it.

I'm pretty sure these Veeky Forums threads are coming up solely because of tits and ass.

While the tits and ass are nice, I do genuinely like this art style.

Some people's arm can bend at that angle. Mine do. I don't think that's a mistake there.
See, an important aspect of live figure drawing is also that the body doesn't always do what stylization expects it to do.

Keith Parkinson solidified my interest in elf bondage.

I also appreciate his appreciation for heroic paladins and screwed necromancers.

Was meant to reply to

Is that ship just a giant dick?

Is that Gizmo from Gremlins?

user solidified my interest in elf bondage

I heard "elf bondage" and now I'm solidified.

You try crawling 20 miles through the mountains with a fatass in a palanquin strapped to your back, and show me how bright eyed and bushy-tailed you look then.

>snakelike creature with nostrils

that really bugs me

user, pls.

>It's the nostrils that are weird
>The tiny face on it's tongue is totally cool tho

At least those ones don't have nostrils

That's actually called photobashing and it's a pretty common technique like you say. Looks 'great' because is (literally) from life and pretty much tracing but people love it and eat it up. It's perfect especially for fast concepts of things you want to present to folks and convey an idea. Ask them to draw a full human render from memory though and you'd get your average (or worse) return, though that's really not their field and you can't blame them for that.

How is russian fantasy?

Anything so good it got translated into english?

>I always hated artists like Boris Vallejo ever since I learned all of his female forms he drew from life, with models.
>All those hours staring at insanely hot naked women. The level of jealous I feel threatens to outburn the sun.

Daily reminder that Frank Frazetta used his wife as his primary model.

The naked women and muscular men are "problematic."

t. moron

Amy good media with this artstyle? Movies, videogames, comics...
Even books if they have that sort of feel.

Slaine- it's a comic

There is an Official Death Dealer Comic

This is Diablo. I first saw this in a booklet of other Blizzard games that came with WC3

>respectable fine art focus
There's nothing respectable about fine art. Success comes from sleeping with gallery owners and not saying anything when you don't see more than a couple hundred from your "million dollar painting" because you're now complicit in money laundering.

Frazetta is garbage too. How many times has his aversion to painting hands and feet, but particularly feet, resulted in them evaporating into what looks like a preprepared pile of rocks?

t. Meme Pro

>Most art is bad. For every Frazetta, there's three hundred community college students with dreams but no talent.

Thats how I can tell that you never had anything to do with art. Painting or drawing has nothing to do with talent, but everything to do with hard work and how much you put into it. Talent just decides whether you get a grip on this or that technique a little bit faster, thats it. Thats literally it. Its called the Grind and it teaches you patience.

Man you should actually read some interviews with Frazetta to really get how many hours of a day, how many days in a week, months in a year this man spent painting.

>It's pretty simple
Actually its not.

I mean its part of it but let me give you some more insights as to why art is dying.
Now I am sure this sounds very over-dramatic to you, but this is simply how it is, art has been dying slowly for over a century and it started when people and society began turning craftsmen into artists. Back in the day, it was treated like other craftsmanship and it was hard work. Your painter or mason got himself some apprentices which worked and learned from him and he passed his skills onto them. Now try to remember when was the last time that you have heard ART referred to as craftsmanship? Being a craftsman is uncool ,its not rock and roll, when you can go to college, get your shitty art degree that aint worth shit and call yourself an ARTIST. ARTISTS are intellectual and sophisticated, not working hard and dirty like craftsmen.

Here is another part:
Reliance on talent. Talking about whether someone has or hasn't talent has become such a focal point in education, social stuff and media that people are absolutely convinced of the concept. That when someone becomes famous he has had to have something that you and others didn't have. Writers and media have created this weird feedback-loop where everything comes down to talent, not hard work, not spending hours and hours of time onto it, its talent. You are told you either have it and then you are free to go or you dont and might as well quit.
Which is bullshit. I have seen so many art profs telling people that since they have no talent for X, they should do something else. Which is the single most destructive thing you can tell young people who are working hard on their passion. Its a game-ender, it discourages people from even trying to get good and they are surrounded by shit that tells them talent is all that matters.

Due to the rise of the hambeasts and the "problematic" crowd none of the new potential replacements have wives like Eleanor Frazetta to model for them

I thought it was pretty obviously a joke. I forgot where I was.