/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
How are your clerics different, /5eg/?

I want 4e caster martials

That doesn't have anything to do with the class, though.

So people already have Xanathar's guide? How is there not a leak yet?

Because of you, the leak is pushed back 36 hours.

They don't have to have a god because my setting has no gods, I'm considering banning clerics all together because religion is for idiot redneck bigots

FOR SIGMAR

kys

Calm your fucking manboobs.

Wizards pushes the class so the enlightened fedora tippers are happy.

It's good because it can do everything at about 70 to 120 percent of the efficiency of the previous bests in each category.

Because there is nothing my intelligence can't solve kid.

ve got an idea for a character, a Water Gensai Druid. I can't figure out whether I'd rather go Land or Moon Circle. What are the pros and cons of each? I can fluff out either for my roleplay.

Thanks.

>How are your clerics different, /5eg/?
They are of a superior race.

Thing is they do... it's called attacking. What you are saying is that the attack action isnt cool enough, because essentially thats what cantrips are to casters.

You can be a wizard and cast firebolt every turn by picking a target rolling to hit, then for damage.

You can be a shootguy and shoot an arrow every turn by picking a target, rolling to hit, then for damage.

You can be a fightguy and wack stuff with your metal thing by picking a target, rolling to hit, then for damage.

A caster who picks up GFB and a shiv over a firebolt has just made the same choice a fighter does when they pick a fighting style and a weapon.

Sure, you might argue that there are a lot more mechanical variation to damage cantrips than to the entire melee armory, but when you consider grapples and shit, or feats for that matter is there really?

People take the attack action and its many variations and modifications for granted, its right there in front of you but its not special enough because they diddnt write a little blurb about the cool lightshow you get alongside picking longsword-duelist. Similarly designers take people's appreciation of the attack action for granted as well spending this time on making all these distinct cantrips seem different and varied.

Now some people are probably gonna accuse me of being a casterfag trying to keep the martial man down, im really not. I also kinda bored of the attack action and martials having to make do with a bare-bones if modular (and thus better for a character customization standpoint) system for how they personalize their fighting style.

So is your beef that it's overpowered or do you just hate the idea of the class, because it's sounding a lot like that latter.

Land and go druid of the coast if you want a water theme
Otherwise moon is "better" as people here put it

cont

Personally i think part of the solution is what is saying about putting in battlemaster mechanics in most martial classes, not necessarily about the resource managing aspect but maybe. The other thing is to either stop making all these cantrips with little twists and replace them with a modular system like with fighting styles and weapon selection where you put together your own cantrip using various pieces, sacrificing direct damage for things like range or status effects or otherwise 'paying' for those features using negatives like a magical 'loading' equivalent. Also maybe actually putting some of these cool features on actual weapon types for martial classes.

But then again maybe this is beyond the complexity people want out of the game.

Right now you can get the book for like $150 from some specific places, the people who own it are mostly youtubers and people with contacts.

99.9% of people can't get it yet, the book doesn't even come out for like 2 weeks.

I actually want mystic to be good, I'm just taking this opportunity to make fun of the dnd community that offers feedback to wizards, which I think is largely retarded.

But why is it better? I'm not trying to meme or start shit, I'd just like to hear some pros and cons.

Most people her don't think wizards are perticularly game breaking, they just dislike the design concept.

You are the most efficient tank in the world until later levels, when your out of combat utility gets pretty high.

Retards are retarded, sure. Fedora tippers and Rick and Morty fans are among the most obnoxious and aggressive of said retards.

Glad to hear you're interested in Mystic, because I am too. I think a psionic option would be fun and could give some neat options not seen in the other supernatural, ie caster, classes.

>they just dislike the design concept.

what

5e rewards creativity and out of the box thinking, so the prevalent options you get in previous editions hurts more than helps.

>wizards
The conversation is about mystics, user.

@56311304
edgy

Well it's "better" because at level 2-3 it's OP as shit and then at level 20 it is OP again. Anywhere between there and it's equal or worse to Land Druid.

Honestly I'm going to recommend Land because it's more fun. Between extra casting so you can use spells more freely, and you can use your Wildshape for utility to get free stealth/climb/fly and etc.

Moon is great for in combat but then you have to constantly use your wildshape in combat and rarely get to use it for utility.

Can we make this part of the thread headers, or at least link that flip-through video so we can avoid all the "WHERE'S THE PDF?" posts for the next two weeks?

Its generally considered the better option overall because of the higher CR on wildshape and the many uses it can have, mainly combat and tanking
Personally I like land because you get unique spells and immunity to poisons and other interesting shit
Having played both subclasses to level 11 and beyond I can say they are both pretty solid and moon's turning into elementals at level 10 is a fucking blast, saved my ass from a demilich, that aside I also enjoyed my mountain druid and cheesing a good amount of puzzles with stone shape

It really doesn't.

Land is more flavourful.
Moon is better, unless you like having an opinion that is wrong. It is also cancerous.

>@
Hownuru

Still applies though.

Thanks anons, that's a good bit to chew on.

how to reply to shitposters without giving them the (you)s they desire

Thanks for the (you) m80
Its all I really desired

4e was better for it. Every ability had keywords with rules effect that could help you ad lib unique interactions when using abilities in nonstandard ways.

5e just says lol 1d4 damage or gives no advice to the DM at all.

>5e rewards creativity and out of the box thinking,

Not with cantrips in dont. You could as i mentioned in that it has the basis for such a system with weapon, style and feat selection for martials, but generally you just find a 'best combo' for what you want to do and trap yourself in that style. And besides many weapons lack any real variance in their effects.

But magic does not have this. Cantrips are 100% reliant on a designer making up the specific type of spell attack you want or DM's mercy/homebrewing. Likewise i don't see a lot of people picking the suboptimal cantrips for flavour here either but im not the numbers guy so i cant tell you if picking acid spray over whatever the hot cantrip is really lets you stay relevant or not.

(you) got me

I have a goliath fighter with 16 str.

For planning level ups I want to know which would be better.

At level 4 I plan to take the +2 strength improvement, but at level 6 I'm torn between

1. +2 strength again, which would bring me up to 20 str OR
2. Sentinel feat

If 2, I would take the +2 str at level 8.

But Int is such a weak stat, user.
Charisma is strong because the nerds at WotC think social skills are a superpower. Strength is weak because they don't understand what constitutes "strong" (which is why a fighter with 20 Str can only deadlift 600lb).

Just picked up xanathars from my flgs and the owner told me stores in the states got fucked over hard on the special covers maybe 2 or 3 per store. I suggest to my american friends they butter up the owner to grab a copy.

>only deadlift 600lb
It may not be anywhere near the world record but thats a hell of a lot of lbs

I'm getting my copy on the tenth for my birthday, really fucking pumped about it

Anyone tried the Blood hunter? Is it viable? Is it fun? I'm trying to force my EK to be a hunter of that sort but if the real thing already exists maybe I should just play that y'know?

Nice guys, don't suppose you could do me a favor? Please do not take pictures of anything cause it'll be funny to annoy the spoilt people.

However if you do feel like pics then I'd love to see some Monk stuff.

Howdy folks, I'm going to DM with 3 friends some time next week. None of us have played this before.
Any tips on creating a first game? I was going to draft up a simple tomb raid with disposable characters to warm us up. Probably just a 2-3 hour session.

If anyone remembers I am the guy who is in a game with a special snowflake that can turn into a dragon. If anyone wants to hear what happened let me know.

Int isn't weaker than charisma, really. Charisma saves are slightly more common, but still never show up. I feel you're more likely to be punished for poor intelligence than charisma on a DM's whim when it comes to things, as well, but there's nothing to quantify that.

More importantly, the fact that more classes rely on charisma actually makes charisma weaker. It means someone will almost always already have good charisma, whereas intellect is rare. What makes a stat strong is if it can be used by all classes, such as wisdom (Perception+Wis saves), dexterity (Initiative, AC, stealth, dex saves, throwing shit) and constitution (HP and con saves)
If you had to recruit a peasant who did not rely on any skills and you had to choose between him being charismatic or him being intelligent, intelligent is the slightly better choice.

... But yes, warlocks should have been int-based.

Does your DM allow Homebrew, like The Witcher, and know who Matt Mercer is?

If so, I highly recommend giving it a shot, but stick to Ghostslayer or Lycan.

Don't ask to tell stories on Veeky Forums, just tell them

That's less than the average horse.

That's what someone in college could do with a year or two of training. Martials are supposed to emulate the heroes of myth and legend. World records should be their baseline

Definitely the strength, unless you know your dm frequently has monsters ignore you and go after the casters. Took the sentinel feat and never used it the whole campaign because monsters wouldn't run away from me or past me to the casters

Are hags like super duper witches in D&D or can a typical witchhunter be a hag-hunter? My only experience with them was in Torment and I remember them being super strong there but maybe that hag was a mega-hag

Sure and they can rep 600 all day which is impressive, but high-level martials should be like Hercules or Gilgamesh or some mythological bad motherfucker, not just that really strong guy at your gym who competes on weekends.

You started off so well but then also became a little bitch.

So, who do we contact to add new shit to the trove?

Not that guy but STR is kinda fucked in general. A guy who can "only" deadlift 600 lbs is only 25% more likely to be able to kick a door down than the average joe.

they're pretty low CR, if you can hunt vampires you can definitely hunt hags.

Fuck yes, that shit sounded retarded and I've been waiting to hear the outcome.

Simple raid is good
Social encounter (taking to an NPC) is easy if you don't know the system

Does anyone know if they changed Mastermind Rogue at all? and if so how?

PICS

OF

DIVINE/SHADOW SOUL

PLEASE

WotC needs to have their devs spend a couple months doing SS so they can get a grasp of what humans are actually capable of doing with their bodies.

Depends on the day, but must of the time for most games, INT rarely comes up

Personally, I like to give players int saves before making stupid decisions and int checks to give them hints about what to do

5e absolutely rewards creativity but with the caveat the DM needs to also provide the outlet for this creativity, also more so than in other editions.

Using that standard then, Str is strong because nobody is likely to have it.
RAW it should be better than it is because in my experience DMs tend to allow Dexfags to use Acrobatics to jump (and sometimes to climb) instead of Athletics, but Int and Str are still basically stats wherr only one person in the party is likely to be good at either.

>5e absolutely rewards creativity

How so?

>Using that standard then, Str is strong because nobody is likely to have it.
That alone doesn't make it strong, but it makes it somewhat useful.
If nobody else has good strength, it's more valuable to have someone with good strength, but it requires strength to have a use in the first place. And it does have uses, even if they're not always used.

When it comes to comparing charisma and intelligence, I find them on the same level of use and thus the only way to really differentiate them is the fact that usually everybody has shit intelligence yet half the party has great charisma. I'm not saying intelligence, is good, but I'd call intelligence better to have if you aren't required to have either.

Also DMs need to stop giving dexfags so many bones with acrobatics 'Oh, you can use acrobatics to do all the things athletics is for!' or 'Oh, it says str save but I'll let you do a dex save instead'

Ok I'll do that then, what should I do at leve 8 then? Only three feats I'm considering were Sentinel, Shield Master, and Resilience (Wisdom). I'm guessing either shield master or resilience will be the better than the three.

It literally doesn't. He's a system war babby and can't comprehend that rewarding creativity is something Dm dependent and not system dependent.

So on the new Hexblade's hex warrior feature

"If you get the pact of blade feature, this benefit extends to any pact weapon you conjure regardless of type"

Does that mean I can use CHA for Greatsword now? Has it finally happened?

Assuming you're going to be targeted equally equally in combat as any other character, what is the best wizard subclass? Bladesinger for extra AC?

I'm a shit DM and everyone's too polite to say it. How can I improve?

Yes.

How doesn't it?
Given the terrain or item types, you can attack from on high to give a crass example.
You can construct a Molotov cocktail from a rag in a bottle and ignite it with help from a caster friend.
You can leap off horses and make bow attacks.
You can cause an animated chair to entrap someone sitting in it.
Etc.

Just because you lack creativity doesn't mean others also have a lack.

Wanna know something that's really strange about AC?
You can be paralyzed/petrified/stunned/unconscious and automatically fail Str/Dex saves*, but your AC still benefits from your Dex modifier for some reason.
* Also to mention you don't fail Str/Dex checks somehow.

All of these are things you can do in literally any system.

Are you fucking illiterate, retarded or argumentative? See And actually read it.

Yeah I think it is good to have at least one party member with good Int and Str - I'm the only one in my current party with either (playing an Eldritch knight) and I do get to use them both fairly regularly, though I usually have to ask about investigating spells, breaking shit, or doing research.

Yeah Dexfags get enough advantages RAW, DMs need to crack down. If you can use your Acrobatics to jump over that pit then I should get to make Int saves instead of Wis to be charmed, since I can tell they're casting a spell. They can't keep getting away with it!

Read, and digest the story structure as you read it.
Take improv classes. Theyre super fun and really expand people skills, creativity and confidence.
And the one thing not many people do: read the damn rule book.

Am I understanding how to play Eldritch Knight "tank" correctly? The focus isn't pure DPR or I'd roll something else

Dueling, Variant Human, Plate + Shield
>lvl 1: War Caster
>lvl 3: find familiar for advantage
>lvl 4: Shield Master, familiar can now advantage the shove and then I can have advantage on ALL attacks
>lvl 5: Booming AoO now
>lvl 6: Heavy Armor Master
>lvl 8: Brawny (better shoves and 18 Str), Enlarge for area coverage and shoving huge creatures
>lvl 12: Resilient(Dex)

it looks good on paper. lots of things to do so it isn't boring. tons of ways to absorb damage and disrupt the battlefield (absorb elements, HAM, shoving prone, BB on creatures trying to move away is fun, being a fighter with counterspell, abjuration is a strong school). feels like lots of attacks also because of the shield-shoving and advantage rolling, which is fun.

>Try to grapple paralyzed person
>They evade you

5e has no rules for any of those scenarios (don't say advantage, that's up to DM discretion, and has similar counterparts in other systems). So how is 5e rewarding creativity?

On a side note if your DM structures the game out of the DMG, there's ~24% chance to acquire a magic weapon before level 11.

But there's barriers to the fluidity of these actions in the other d20 systems. Probably not M&M though.

>No sentinel at any point
Automatic failure

Leak hype?

If your DM keeps trying to get to your backline, Sentinel is good.
If you don't have a ton of Bonus Action uses, then Shield Master is great.
If you don't already have a good Wis score, Resilient is strong too, but Shield Master is probably more fun (since you can knock them prone before attacking).

So far you haven't justified how that's 5e and not just totally up to the DM. What contribution to the creativity rewarding does 5e offer here?

I run a 4e game in addition to 5e. There is no such barrier.

They're kinda super-witches. Alone they aren't much (around CR 7 I think, not horrible but pretty tough), but they tend to work in covens which does turn them into super-witches that you have to fight three of at once. And they have some weird tricks they can do. Good luck killing a Night Hag if you don't stun it and oneshot it; she'll just fucking shift planes and then haunt your nightmares until you go crazy and die. And then steal your soul.

I do think there need to be some tougher hags. They're described as being able to be on par with epic-level fey lords, but nothing in the released material goes above CR 10.

4e empowered the players
5e empowers the DM

Thus 5e > 4e unless you play games with bad DMs

That is how. By not having system specific listed bonus. If the bonus is there, you aren't being creative in your thinking - you are just checking a spreadsheet.

Being creative is looking at the situation as described by the DM and saying 'I want to try and' then the DM figuring out who the outcome is or how it impacts your dice.

This was a deliberate design change the devs made based on feedback.

People felt, in feedback, that more rules led to a more constrained feeling play environment. Less rules with more DM interpretation felt more creative and open.

5e may not be a game that is designed for you in this respect.

Just signed up for my FLGS bi-weekly 5E intro game this Saturday, what am I in for?

You don't need it nearly as bad with Booming Blade plus it weakens BB AoO's with Warcaster.
No that looks fine, only thing is Shield Master bonus action is incompatible with War Magic. I would take Blur or Misty Step over Enlarge but it's fine also.
Shield and Absorb Elements are good too obviously.

>So far you haven't justified how that's 5e and not just totally up to the DM. What contribution to the creativity rewarding does 5e offer here?

by not preventing creativity through excess rules. It is a matter of game play preference user.

Hags vary in power, from a CR comparable to that of a mean bear, to rivals of Archfey

You can definitely have a hag hunter. Just pick a monster hunter ranger, and pick Fey as your Favored Enemy.

Even if you have no qualms with the rest of the Feywild, hags are like monsters in a way. Where a hag dwells in her lair, a mirĂ­ade of minions are bound to follow, and with a good DM you are definitely going to have to go John Wick on their asses

Why would you homebrew a Witcher? They're already in the game, user. They are literally EKs with a background in chemistry and monster lore.

Okay so what I'd do:
>Level 1: Sentinel
>Level 4: War caster, booming AoO now rather than level 5? I mean, I don't see why you need level 5 for it
>Level 6: Shield Master
>Level 7: At this point it might not be a bad idea to take a level dip of rogue for both 1d6 sneak and expertise in athletics. I guess you could just grab brawny at level 8 if allowed though. You could also keep going rogue until 5 (Uncanny dodge) though you odn't need evasion with shield master and resilient dex
Also tough isn't a bad feat, I guess. I'd take Heavy armour master if your strength is odd, though.

Overall it sounds like most things are being done right though. Also worth noting that sneak attack can add to reaction damage.

Also one last thing,
>Find familiar for advantage
That's just cancerous. In theory crafting, yes, use your minion for disposable advantage but in reality if you have a familiar you should try not to go overboard with it.