Real world religions are now in an RPG. What special powers would they bestow on their followers?

Real world religions are now in an RPG. What special powers would they bestow on their followers?

What if any special classes be available?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/05/hitlers-forgotten-library/302727/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Maria_Wiligut
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nazism isn’t a religion

4 way asian thing.

-2 int, -2 wis

>Nazism

WEW LAD

have you been to /pol/?

If you're going for realism, .
Also, catholics get access to the Child Molester prestige class.

>tipping intensifies

>Hinduism
+ 2 WIS
Extra fortitude and will saving throws
On higher level: gain third eye (true sight, can see invisible, can see alignment)

Specialization: Devotee of Shiva
Gain the ability to cast necromancy spells
Immunity ot poison and diseases
- 2 Charisma

Devotee of Shiva
Gain the ability to play bard songs
+ 2 Charisma

Devotee of Kali
Gain proficiency with martial weapons
Gain barbarian rage

Wow, the second one should be Krishna/Vishnu.

>Judaism
Gain 1 academic skill of your choice.
Domains: Ambition, City, Knowledge, Protection

>Catholicism
Gain one free language, Latin
Domains: Knowledge, Protection, Life, Solidarity

>Protestantism
Gain skill Performance
Domains: Life, Protection, Tempest, Zeal

>Islam
Gain skill Religion
Domains: Sun, Trickery, War, Zeal

Buddhists

Karmic Wheel
-Gain fame or notoriety throughout game
-If you die, reroll character with an advantage or disadvantage based on your previous character performance

Better question.
How would you adapt Faith in the Light to real life religion?
It doesn't heal you like in Fantasy

>no ancient egypt
b-but, i want to use eye of horus and bastet incantations to protect myself from evil spirits

Zoroastrian:

Gain balling fire powers. Gain the ability to detect lies and then make lies explode into fire when the truth is revealed. Gain smug certainty that your good/evil dichotomy is the first and best one and still the only one that makes sense. Gain enmity: serpents, dogs, muslims. Gain skill: hide in plain sight. Gain skill: confuse muslim.

Nazism doesn't really exist, though the Führer is a god

Do zoroastrians hate dogs too?

yes it is

awesome

I actually like this. You're doing God's work.

Jew here. I don't think Ambition works as a domain for Judaism; ambition/merchant stuff is more a Jewish cultural thing than a religious thing. I'd replace it with Community, or maybe Law.

Also
>Islam
>One of the most authoritarian religions in the world
>Trickery domain
needs to be Law too.

I feel like Devotee of Kali should be Devotee of Durga, if only because Kali is only depicted with all weapons about half the time whereas Durga is depicted with all the weapons constantly.

I wanted to call it "Devotee of Shakti" first, because it's the overarching term. But then thought it was too broad. Kali is also just more popular.

Islam has specific guidelines on when to perform Taqiyya, that is, deceit as a form of warfare.

For example, if they are threatened with death if they don't renounce their religion, they are permitted, and in some doctrines obligated, to lie.

Kali may be more popular, but Durga is better.

>Christianity
Priest class: a variant of Cleric that casts off Wis, like normal. Unused uses of channel undead can be used to recharge expended spell slots. Gives fewer armour proficiencies.
Crusader prestige class: a combination of Paladin and Barbarian. Rages let you make every attack a Smite. Has some team-buffing abilities late game.

>Judaism
Rabbi class: a variant of Cleric that casts off Int instead of Wis. Lets you add some wizard spells to the cleric spell list. Disallows weapons that don't inflict nonlethal damage.
Kaballist prestige class: may only be taken by rabbis. Lets you apply some metamagic effects to spells X times per day. More powerful metamagic effects if used on healing or domain spells.

>Islam
Imam class: a variant of Cleric that casts off Cha instead of Wis. prepared spells can be exchanged for spontaneous healing spells like normal, but prepared healing spells can also be exchanged for spontaneous domain spells. No access to channel undead.
Emir prestige class: similar to the prestige-paladin and eldritch knights. may only be taken by divine casters or sorcerers. Improves martial capabilities and give access to social benefits and a leadership-like effect.

>Buddhism, Taoism, and Jainism
Acetic class: a variant of Monk with access to reduced divine casting abilities. Better casting than a paladin, worse than a cleric. Wis based for Buddhism and Jainism, Cha based for Taoism. Buddhists have slightly better martial abilities. Taoists have spontaneous casting. Jainists have a lay-on-hands ability but must only ever inflict non-lethal damage*.
Bodhi prestige class: May only be taken by Acetics. The Bodhi is only 5 levels long. Each level imposes a restrictive vow on the Bodhi, each more restrictive to the last. Think the vows from Book of Exalted Deeds, but less awful and with softer consequences for breaking them. In return for taking these vows, the Bodhi gets access to higher-level spellcasting.

Taqiyya is a lot more relevent today when muslims live more and more in non-muslim countries, but largely irrelevant to Islam when first created, with its heavy focus on muslim theocracies. It's not a central aspect of the religion, and I think that focussing on it too much would take away from the feel.
Maybe, as a middle ground, Sun should be replaced by Law instead of Trickery.

forgot part of my post.

Note: the restriction of Jainists against inflicting lethal damage only applies to enemies who are living/earthly, and to whom nonlethal damage is relevant. When applied to beings such as undead, constructs, plants, abberations, outsiders, and other beings that are immune to nonlethal damage, spells and attacks that would deal nonlethal damage instead automatically deal lethal damage.

>What special powers would they bestow on their followers?
None.

>Buddhist
>Ascetic

Nigga no.

I just chose Ascetic was just trying to think of another name for monk that wasn't 'monk.'

But why wouldn't they be ascetic, tho? Buddhism is practically THE quintessential ascetic religion, Chinese buddhists notwithstanding.

>he doesn't know about Esoteric Hitlerism

Because he thinks ascetic means "starving yourself", not knowing that this is just one aspect of asceticism, and an extreme one, that you can reject while still practicing an austere and simple life aimed at spiritual goals.

Gautama specifically rejected asceticism. Buddhism was an alternative to traditional Vedic asceticism.

What do Atheists get? Since we all know Athe is the most powerful deity.

It should really be noted that Buddhism isn't about abstention from worldly pleasures just about not becoming attached to them. In the story of the Buddha, there was a point where he did pursue austerity and hardship as was common for monks at the time but gave up on that.

Saying that Jainism/Vedicism are the absolute owners of the concept of Asceticism is like saying that Judaism is the absolute owner of the concept of Jehovah. Just because Buddhist asceticism is different from Jainist asceticism doesn't mean that Buddhism isn't Ascetic.

I didn't include my reasoning for my choices, but I gave Buddhists better martial abilities to reflect that they're a bit more involved in worldly matters than normal ascetics.

A wizard class with focusses on countering/anti-magic, which is more effective vs divine magic and the spell-like abilities of Outsiders

Alternatively, you could just literally make them Ur Priests.

>Judaism
Baal Shem Tov's are the miracle workers in Judaism.

Kaballists are Jewish mystics. Baal Shem Tov was the name of one guy, not some type of Jewish will-worker.

Sun worship I guess.

>but largely irrelevant to Islam when first created
Satanic Verses, mate. The converted tribes weren't allowed to just leave because it was all a big misunderstanding, they'd still be considered apostates for leaving.

Man, brad pitt looks good in this

>Nazism

Literal retards detected. Back to tumblr/neogaf/spacebattles/etc.

gives penalties to speech checks, Int, and increases unarmed damage taken

That's neo-nazis.
Nazis proper should have -1 wis "I was only following orders" and +1 cha from fancy uniforms and preferred enemy (soviet).

How many denominations will you allow?

Don't forget disadvantage on saving throws vs Cold.

Taqquiya means shit for muslims, except Shi'a, most of non-Shi'a won't even know what Taqquia means.

As much as I despise nazis, Hugo Bosch did a good job in the uniform. Fancy assholes, bur fancy nevertheless.

Muslims can enter the Suicide Bomber career for free at any time.

>world of niggers

I don't.

No.

>believing taqiyya about taqiyya

>tiger
>it's a lion
am i missing something here?

OP here

I picked Trickery because of Taqquito or whatever they call it, yeah

OK, based on feedback

>Judaism
Gain skill History
Domains: Law, Solidarity, Knowledge, Protection

>Catholicism
Gain one free language, Latin
Domains: Knowledge, Protection, Life, Solidarity

>Protestantism
Gain skill Performance
Domains: Life, Protection, Tempest, Zeal

>Islam
Gain skill Religion
Domains: Sun, Law, War, Zeal

>Buddhism
Gain skill Insight
Domains: Life, Knowledge, Nature, Protection

>Sikhism
Gain skill Religion
Domains: Life, Protection, Zeal, War

>Shinto
Gain skill Arcana
Domains: Arcana, Nature, Grave, Protection

>Hindu
Gain skill Religion
Domains: Strength, Life, Tempest, Knowledge

>Wicca (yes I know it's a modern invention)
Gain skill Nature
Domains: Nature, Arcana, Knowledge, Life

No Orthodox?

I don't know enough about the differences between it and catholicism beyond the effigies thing

You make the Bishop sad user.

>THE SWASTIKA IS ONLY A NAZI THING!
Please read the wikipedia page. Retard.

You should educate yourself.

Nazism in addition to it's social/political policies was also attempting to create a new religion for their society that involved Biology, hence the whole dumb eugenics Master Race bullshit. I'm pretty sure there was some belief that Aliens had come to earth and made White People by interbreeding or something like that. Go figure a bunch of guys dressing up and going on parade would have some funny ideas about reality.

That's some bullshit and a half, do yourself a favor and turn of the History Channel, it's anything but.

>Christianity
Gain the power of Healing Miracles, strength proportional to faith
>Judaism
Gain the power of Good Fortune and Material Gains, strength proportional to following Jewish Law.
>Hinduism
Gain the power to Contact Past Lives, absorbing the wisdom of your former selves. Strength proportional to unripened Good Karma
>Shinto
Gain the power of Spirit Contact, communicating with and even gaining favors from numerous small gods. Strength proportional to the quality and quantity of offerings to the Kami.

... that's all I've got for now.

Why's the Biohazard symbol on there? Are people worshipping medical waste now? Just because AIDS can still kill you doesn't mean you should give it offerings to try and appease it to avoid its wrath.

wtf is wrong with that lion? is its neck two feet long? or are its front legs really far back

damn those robes look sweet

Are you at least semi-aware how stupid you sound? Or you are intentionally trying to top the idiot crying about nazism?

Do you have a history degree or something?

I'm talking about real life craziness. The Thule Society and their belief about Hyborea(basically Greenland) being where the "Ancient Eider Race" first interacted with prehistoric man and created anotomically modern humans.

Like it or not but the dudes behind the scenes in Germany for the first half of the 20th century we're into some serious Micky Mouse bullshit.

Not him, but Thule Society is a meme. They've lost any revelance even before nazis took over in Germany.

So you'll tell me with a strait face that the Nazis were masterminded by a secret society of occultists and ancient alien worshipers. But let me guess, Jews overwhelmingly representing Marxist and Soviet leadership is antisemetic lies right?

We all know the only true religion

It's Hindu you ignorant shit

I've actually put some thought into this, and would adore a proper setting to discuss this with Veeky Forums.

Not him but I'm actually curious. I'm not familiar with the symbol. I was raised by Mormons and want to a Christian Boarding School so I'm not exactly familiar with other religions.

Nah, it's all true. The early 20th century was basically a continuous secret war between Kabbalist Jews, Freemasons, and pagan sorcerers.

In the Library of Congres, Washington D.C., is Hitlers own book collection stored.
>I also found, however, a Hitler I had not anticipated: a man with a sustained interest in spirituality. Among the piles of Nazi tripe (much of it printed on high-acid paper that is rapidly deteriorating) are more than 130 books on religious and spiritual subjects, ranging from Occidental occultism to Eastern mysticism to the teachings of Jesus Christ—books with titles such as Sunday Meditations; On Prayer; A Primer for Religious Questions, Large and Small; Large Truths About Mankind, the World and God. Also included were a German translation of E. Stanley Jones's 1931 best seller, The Christ of the Mount; and a 500-page work on the life and teachings of Jesus, published in 1935 under the title The Son: The Evangelical Sources and Pronouncements of Jesus of Nazareth in Their Original Form and With the Jewish Influences. Some volumes date from the early 1920s, when Hitler was an obscure rabble-rouser on the fringe of Munich political life; others from his last years, when he dominated Europe.
>The Predictions of Nostradamus belongs to a cache of occult books that Hitler acquired in the early 1920s and that were discovered in the private quarters of his Berlin bunker by Colonel Albert Aronson in May of 1945.

>Like the Library of Congress collection, Brown's eighty Hitler books constitute a hodgepodge: picture books, art journals, an Italian libretto of Wagner's Walküre, a 1937 edition of Mein Kampf, and two editions of Alfred Rosenberg's The Myth of the Twentieth Century. The more than a dozen books on the occult include several devoted to Nordic runes, among them a 1922 history of the swastika, richly illustrated with nearly 500 diverse renderings—in Egyptian hieroglyphics, Greek pottery, Mayan temples, and Christian crosses. The Dead Are Alive delivers "incontrovertible evidence on occultism, somnambulism, spiritualism, with sixteen photographs of ghosts." Among the photographic images that fill the final pages of the volume is one of five people levitating a table at an 1892 séance in Genoa and another allegedly showing the ghost of a fifteen-year-old Polish girl, Stasia, being consumed by a "luminous, misty substance." A picture of a rather stately-looking Englishman is captioned "The Phantom of the English writer Charles Dickens who died in 1871 and is buried in Westminster Abbey. He appeared in 1873 and was photographed."

>One of the most heavily marked books is Magic: History, Theory and Practice (1923), by Ernst Schertel. When I typed the author's name into one Internet search engine, I scored eight hits, including sites on Satanism, eroticism, sadomasochism, and flagellation. When I typed his name into Google, I scored twenty-six hits, including sites on parapsychology, astrology, and diverse sexual practices. According to a Web site for Germany's sadomasochistic community, Schertel wrote numerous books on flagellation and eroticism, and was "a central figure" in the German nudist movement of the 1920s and 1930s.

Hitler's copy of Magic bears a handwritten dedication from Schertel, scrawled on the title page in pencil. A 170-page softcover in large format, the book has been thoroughly read, and its margins scored repeatedly. I found a particularly thick pencil line beside the passage "He who does not carry demonic seeds within him will never give birth to a new world."
>theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/05/hitlers-forgotten-library/302727/

Bonus: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Maria_Wiligut
>Karl Maria Wiligut (alias Weisthor, Jarl Widar, Lobesam) (10 December 1866,[1] Vienna, Austrian Empire – 3 January 1946, Arolsen, Germany[2]) was an Austrian Occultist and SS-Brigadeführer.
>He also claimed to have spiritual powers that allowed him direct access to genetic memories of his ancestors thousands of years previously. From 1908, Wiligut was in contact with the occultist Ordo Novi Templi in Vienna. Wiligut claimed that the Bible had originally been written in Germanic, and testified to an "Irminic" religion – Irminenreligion or Irminism – that contrasted with Wotanism. He claimed to worship a Germanic god "Krist", whom Christianity was supposed later to have appropriated as their own saviour Christ.
>According to Wiligut, Germanic culture and history reached back to 228,000 BC. He proposed that at this time, there were three suns, and Earth was inhabited by giants, dwarfs and other mythical creatures. Wiligut claimed that his ancestors, the Adler-Wiligoten, ended a long period of war. By 12,500 BC, the Irminic religion of Krist was revealed and from that time became the religion of all Germanic peoples, until the schismatic adherents of Wotanism gained the upper hand. In 1200 BC, the Wotanists succeeded in destroying the Irminic religious center at Goslar, following which the Irminists erected a new temple at the Externsteine, which was in turn appropriated by the Wotanists in AD 460. Wiligut's own ancestors were supposedly protagonists in this setting: the Wiligotis were Ueiskunings ("Ice kings") descending from a union of Aesir and Vanir. They founded the city of Vilna as the center of their Germanic empire and always remained true to their Irminic faith.[12]

>Sikh Paladins

I've never felt more safe.

>Specialization: Devotee of Shiva
>Gain the ability to cast necromancy spells
>Shiva
>Necromancy
God of Death is Yama, the First Man, his gifts are called the WILL OF THE FIRST MAN!

At least learn about the gods you mleccha.

Shivas one form is the destroyer, the terrifying god, if he's in a bad mood. His followers can be seen near the pyres, besmirching themselves with the ashes of the dead.
>Lord Śiva, the king of the ghosts, sitting on the back of his bull carrier, travels at this time, accompanied by ghosts who follow him for their welfare

>Lord Śiva, or Rudra, is the king of the ghosts. Ghostly characters worship Lord Śiva to be gradually guided toward a path of self-realization. Māyāvādī philosophers are mostly worshipers of Lord Śiva, and Śrīpāda Śaṅkarācārya is considered to be the incarnation of Lord Śiva for preaching godlessness to the Māyāvādī philosophers. Ghosts are bereft of a physical body because of their grievously sinful acts, such as suicide. The last resort of the ghostly characters in human society is to take shelter of suicide, either material or spiritual. Material suicide causes loss of the physical body, and spiritual suicide causes loss of the individual identity. Māyāvādī philosophers desire to lose their individuality and merge into the impersonal spiritual brahma-jyotir existence. Lord Śiva, being very kind to the ghosts, sees that although they are condemned, they get physical bodies. He places them into the wombs of women who indulge in sexual intercourse regardless of the restrictions on time and circumstance. Kaśyapa wanted to impress this fact upon Diti so that she might wait for a while

>Lord Śiva is called Bhūta-nātha because he is assisted by various types of powerful ghosts and denizens of the inferno—Bhūtas, Pretas, Pramathas, Guhyakas, Ḍākinīs, Piśācas, Kuṣmāṇḍas, Vetālas, Vināyakas and Brahma-rākṣasas. (Of all kinds of ghosts, the Brahma-rākṣasas are very powerful. They are brāhmaṇas who after death have entered the ghostly species of life)

>calling me a fucking mleccha

user is mistaking this for "Ba'al Shem", which IS a specific type of Jewish magic-user. Ba'al Shem Tov happens to be the title of a specific historical figure, and both would fall under the "Kabbalist" headline anyway.

Necromancy is strictly Yamas purview as hindus dont bury their dead, they burn them, Mlechha

>they burn them
Oh, so this is why I typed in "pyre"? Why else would I say "ashes of the dead? Something the followers of Shiva cover themselves with, on the place of the funeral fire? Where Shiva resides, meditating between ghosts? You know, dead people? Did you just tell me something I already mentioned in the post you replied to? Kalidasa is also full of ghosts, ghouls and demons. You know, necromancy shit. Yama is just a minor deity in hinduism, a Lokapala. Considering all the reincarnation shit being a ruler of the "departed", instead of ghosts and demons, is kinda iffy anyway, and less of a necromancy than what Shiva is doing.

Yama might be called Kala, but Shiva is Mahakala.

it's girly neopagan bullshit and not worth acknowledging

Would atheists be like Blanks in 40k?

It's a corruption of the symbol for the triple moon goddesses, specifically Hecate and her ilk.

who were not particularly man hatign lesbians, despite what most neopagans believe, as Hecate and Circe both had daughters and one of those had a son..

Atheists are either passive or proactive. Proactive atheists are murderous psychopaths.

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any.

If you were going to use Sikhs as a basis for Paladins in a setting, rather than the more traditional Christian Crusader look, what are the important aspects you'd emphasise, both in terms of aesthetic and differences in philosophy?

I don't know if this is bait or you're this stupid.

No idea why Sikhs are supposed to be paladins. As far as I know they don't get powered up by gods or are supposed to fight against evil creatures.

Because the laws of Sikhsm literally require them to be paladins? They are required to carry a weapon to defend the helpless or the weak. They are to promote kindness and assist those in need to the best of their ability. They are to do no harm if they can help it, especially to the weak or the helpless.

>Where Shiva resides, meditating between ghosts?
Thats mount Kailash where he is attended to by Nandi and bhootas, i didnt dispute that.

>Kalidasa is also full of ghosts, ghouls and demons.
Kalidasa is one of the navaratanas of the Gupta court, it was likely the name Kalidasa was a title.

>less of a necromancy than what Shiva is doing.

Shiva is not a necromancer, necromancy is a completely non hindu belief apart from the rumours of a yogini temple in Orissa.

>Yama might be called Kala, but Shiva is Mahakala.
Does not make shiva necromancer.