Pick your character

Pick your character

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fp41XvdB_o4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Starscream

Little known fact: Starscream has never, ever lost a 1v1 fight in the air in the cartoons or movies. He's a massive faggot and he jobs on the ground, but he's actually a fighter.

so it's a kind of dick dastardly situation, where he'd probably just win if he didn't keep trying to fuck with people?

SR-71

/thread

Nothing will ever be cooler than the sled

>

>Nothing will ever be cooler than the sled
Oh yeah?

People who don't say the SR-71 just don't know what they're talking about

I choose the chaotic-good underdog rogue

Wasn't that the point of Armada which, while garbage, turned Starscream into BW's Dinobot?

Wasn't there that user with a cold war planes game?

I'm writing pic related, was that what you were thinking of?

SR-71s were used in Vietnam for recon, but I'll probably include them in the "bonus units" rather than in the main aircraft lists for that period (as they are already jam-packed with aircraft and couldn't possibly fit another aircraft in - plus they already have U-2s for high altitude recon)

Possibly?

I just remember there was a lot of options for loadouts and weapons. And a really quite comprehensive list of planes

Are you thinking of Planes 'n' Mercs

You mean Warcrimes 'n' Mercs

It was just the one time and the ship was full of old people anyway

>be XB-70
>crashes mid-flight
>missiles launched from a B-52 and ICBM are actually more effective.

Besides, SR71 vs XB70...
Which one was actually used already?

F-106
>4 mach 3 missiles in a mach 2 plane
>in the 1950's

You know 12 blackbirds crashed, right?
The Valks just happened to crash in front of people

>The Valks just happened to crash in front of people
Quite literally for the F-104 in the flight at least...

Thing is, both Valkyries were lost in tests while the Blackbirds were lost in action. But ovbiously I'm just being silly at this point.

>both Valkyries were lost in tests
Nah, one died, one is in Ohio

The 'birb

Love that story

Here's another

Gotta be the Blackbird, that sexy thing.
Can’t wait for Lockheed to finish the SR72 - a hypersonic drone plane with possible laser attachments

Except Dinobot was honorabu and a hero

ACTIVE all the way baby.

F-16XL. That asymmetry is just... hnnng...

SR-71 is a beautiful plane bit I think I'd stick to something a bit more practical.

F-15 STOL/MTD

>mfw somethingawful is doing their own planes and mercs thing
>but running the missions in CMANO
It’s great. Not a lot of warcrimes yet though.

I'd ask you to gimme a link, but the paywall is up. Damnit. What's it called at least?

This is what I love about the character the most cowardly, conniving, back-stabbing son of a bitch there is he owns up to his position as the Decepticon's second in command when he actually has the disposition to hold his ground.

Strike Command: The commandering

the fuck is wrong with the cockpit
why is it doubled

Well, he'd be great at what he does. Like they said he's never lost a one on one fight IN THE AIR. Not even against the arialbots (purpose built flying autobots). He's still only an okay leader when it comes to grand stratagy and a mid range combatant on the ground. Not incompetent at it but only okay.

He IS however decent at deception and scheming and good at squad level tactics.

What I really liked was when he appeared in Beast Wars cause they still kept that. He easily out flew everyone in the sky including Optimus Primal, came up with and led a successful raid on the Maximal base, and nearly managed a coup among the Predicons. Only really being stopped by Black Arachnia working WITH the Maximals to do it. She didn't even see through his scheming in a vacume, she was just suspicious and found him out because she actually CHECKED historical documents to find out that Starscream's story didn't check out.

And Starscream did all that using the body Waspinator, the show's woobie. (To be fair though Waspinator DOES deserve some credit, he IS the only predicon to survive the entire series besides Megatron 2.

>one is in Ohio

Might as well have been lost.

A fucking leaf.

Waspinator is also has the only Good End for a Predicon in the series. Black Arachnia could also count, but she changed teams to do it.

Very true

Trainer version, look in , right at the back you see the trainer version with the double stacked cockpits.

If I can't have an Arrow, an F-106 is a marginally acceptable substitute. I always loved reading about how the F-106 could get kills against the F-16 in mock combat, due to AoA fuckery.

They're still around actually, and yes, the plane list is ridiculously comprehensive from 1950 up to around 2010.

Even better, in the comics he did win.

With only the minimum amount of literal backstabbing.

Now he's the democratically elected leader of Cybertron.

man, it's a real shame that plane never got made

it's quite stylish

Even in the regular origional animated show he at times just schemed above board. For example in the one where Megatron challanges Optimus to a 'fair' fight one on one winner take all 'in accordance with Cybertronian law.' Megatron cheats and as he's about to help Megatron cheat Starscream just says "But Cybertronian law stipulates that the champions must fight alone and unaided" to which Megatron basically responds "shut up Starscream." And as he goes about helping Megatron he just says at full volume (not even muttering) "I was just lodging a legal ploy"

Heck, even in the movie, his disposal of Megatron is done entirely above board, after getting the majority of cons to agree.

Very very true. And Astrotrain DID tell them that if they didn't drop some weight they wouldn't make it back to Cybertron. They just decided to drop that weight by throwing their most damaged comrades OUT THE AIRLOCK.

Galvatron only regained control by showing up and strait up DESTROYING Starscream.

>Astrotrain
For a moment I thought I was in another thread

If we're talking planes that never made it, not only was this cancelled, but the replacement order was also cancelled, so its "replacement" was less advanced aircraft that had been dropped from the selection trials in favour of the TSR-2

it's literally just a F-106 with a high wing.

It's not like the S.R.53, where they were given a ridiculous design specification (a plane that can both do an endurance patrol for intercepting russian sub-sonic intercontinental bombers AND also intercept potential future super-sonic bombers on short notice) and just went "fuck it, let's stick a throttleable rocket motor underneath a regular jet engine" and it only didn't end up going into service because lockheed bribed the germans into going with the f-104 instead.

Like, imagine vietnam but the south vietnamese air force is armed with old european rocket/jet planes.

Yeah it's a bit surreal to be talking about REALLY nerdy and specific transformers information and plot on Veeky Forums when it's not even a transformers game. But it IS tangentially relevant to an on topic post

The Active Eagle is mine

Nah, see I'm often in the netrunner thread, there used to be a thing called the astrotrain in it, so for a moment I genuinely thought I was in another thread.

But glad that it was on-topic, such as these things are

Kirov.

Yeah, but to be fair, OP's image would make a great basis for the Aerialbots.

The X-38 can be Universe Stormjet.

Beautiful doesn't even begin. I was once lucky enough to attend a night party on the USS Intrepid, which has one of the Blackbirds. As we looked off the front of the deck I thought to myself "did they move the Blackbird?" because I couldn't see it. Then I realized that there was a big black void in the lights of the skyline. This close to 50 year old aircraft was invisible to the human eye at 100 feet, while lit up by the NYC skyline. Of course in flight there would be the fire of the afterburners, but still, that was impressive.

JUST.

Planes and Mercs PC game when?
I'll even settle for a spreadsheet simulator,
tbqh ...

Since you don't need any other boards, what's the best air fighter currently avaiaible, technically speaking?

That's a big plane

That tiny one.

Memes, reliability or maintenance considerations aside it's still the F-22 barring some magic Sukhoi that never gets built in the double-digits

That sounds like it!

Maybe?
Looks promising

The Eurofighter Typhoon is the most capable Energy Maneuverability fighter in the world, the F-22 is the the most capable BVR fighter in the world, and the F35 has the most impressive sensor fusion and data linking.

Is it nerdy? Except for the President Starscream thing, everything discussed is either a broadcast tv cartoon or a theatrical release

whats the yellow boi i like him

Are there more of these?
I really enjoyed reading these tales from the pilot's perspective.

>You know 12 blackbirds crashed, right?

No. I did not know that.

Please tell me more.

humans are the weakest part of fighters and bombers these days.

the planes could do much more off the wall bullshit buth e forces would kill the pilot and the pilot doesn't have the reaction time.

I think that's a UAV. Or maybe it's a plane for midgets?

According to the pic it's an RC Mothership. It's designed to hold drones and then drop them for simulations and such.

There's pictures out there of one carrying a model of the X-33.

Not the same guy, but it was eleven 71A's and one 71B. Almost all of these were lost in test flights. Miraculously, only one of the crew died in all of these losses.

>Eurofighter
>best energy maneuver
you never heard of the S-47, i assume?

>has plane hardpoints
>lists weapons separately

I saw a list of planes (for the Firestorm Planes & Mercs campaign) that merged the two pretty effectively:
Basically, hardpoints were divided into categories:
Pylons - can carry only 1 Light AA missile (of up to 250 lbs / 120 kg)
Light - can carry up to 500 lbs / 250 kg of 'cargo'
Medium - carry up to 1000 lbs / 500 kg of 'cargo'
Heavy - carry up to 2000 lbs / 1000 kg
Internal - as above, but no drag

>S-47
That was a technology demonstrator and not a production fighter.

It's also not a better EM fighter than the Eurofighter, it's better at supermanueverability, but not energy maneuverability.
Not really, yes you could build an airframe that could crush a pilot to death in a turn, but a turn that would kill a pilot would also bleed so much energy that your drone fighter would be a sitting duck for a missile.

>drone fighter would be a sitting duck for a missile

Hah, no.

Drones are going to be the end of fighter aircraft.

That's not what I said, what I said was that drone fighters that pursue the failed strategy of supermanueverability instead of sensible EMI design (where the drone advantages of omni directional focus, lack of life support weight, lack of cockpit aero lump, lack of cockpit wasted volume, etc will be just as large of a boon) will be sitting ducks for missiles

EG, the advantage of autonomous fighter aircraft will not lie in sustained 15 g turns

There is also the fact that any aircraft designed to withstand continuous high-G turns will require massive tradeoffs for the additional weight required for structural integrity.

Sounds like expanding rather than merging things. My premise for the game is as simple as possible, so hardpoints will just be generic hardpoints - they can carry any kind of AA or A/G missile (or ASM) or a bomb rack with up to 6 bombs.
Rockets are folded into unguided bomb attacks as the two function pretty much the same - make things under and directly in front of you feel very bad.

I felt being able to customize the loadout of your aircraft to be an important aspect of modern air combat, as there are many multi-role aircraft and it can also depend on the mission as to how you arm them. So I list the hardpoint for each aircraft, and then the maximum number of each ordnance it can actually take. So an F-4 may have 8 hardpoints, but it can only take 4 AIM-7 and 4 AIM-9 to keep it within realistic loadout restrictions.

It also means you can take a clean aircraft and save on points if you just need something for recon or strafing ground targets (or dog-fighting with cannons....)

I just finished all the research and a bit of playtesting for the Falklands, including writing up the mechanics for naval vessels which took a while. Did a good Falklands playtest with Skyhawks attacking 2 British County class destroyers and a Type 42 destroyer the other day, it went pretty well.

I took some photos and posted an AAR in the last /hwg/ thread:
Next up is the research for the gulf war, then Bosnia, then the final conflict will be the Eritrea-Ethiopia war in 1998/1999 - which will be more of a bonus conflict with mostly Su-27s vs. MiG-29s.

They're both from the same source, the autobiography of Brian Schul - Speed is Life - so if they're anywhere they're there

I choose to make parking lots.

Thanks, he sounds like an awesome guy.

Britbombers are sex, it's known

Welcome to Area 88

*in a high pitched nasal voice*
>Copy that, sphincter niner ringworm, I see you loud and clear

This should have been the Silent Eagle desu

Nah it’s gotta be the B2 Flying wing

anything involving my planefu no matter the weird paintjob is the jet for me

>Sounds like expanding rather than merging things.
Players will be counting their loadout by counting hardpoints.
What could be simpler?
Each Pylon or Light hardpoint = 1 Sidewinder.
Each Medium hardpoint = 1 Sparrow or 2 Sidewinders.

>My premise for the game is as simple as possible, so hardpoints will just be generic hardpoints - they can carry any kind of AA or A/G missile (or ASM) or a bomb rack with up to 6 bombs.
>I felt being able to customize the loadout of your aircraft to be an important aspect of modern air combat, as there are many multi-role aircraft and it can also depend on the mission as to how you arm them. So I list the hardpoint for each aircraft, and then the maximum number of each ordnance it can actually take. So an F-4 may have 8 hardpoints, but it can only take 4 AIM-7 and 4 AIM-9 to keep it within realistic loadout restrictions.

Unfortunately, the fact is that there are several kinds of hardpoints, as well as several kinds of bomb/missile racks.
For example: F-4 can carry 18000 lbs on 9 hardpoints (not 8) - while A-6 carries the same amount on just 5 of them. F-4 rates 18 bombs (I presume you use 500 lb standard) - for an equivalent of 3 of your hardpoints (not 8) - along with the 4 Sparrows and 4 Sidewinders, while A-6 rates 30 of them - for full 5 hardpoints.
And let's not even mention drop tanks (extending the range) or ECM or target designators.

I like to play with loadouts, too - and I feel the best way to provide for this is to provide the full playground.

Barbarian, all the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fp41XvdB_o4

>Imperial and metric vaules given
> For completely different sizes
Be fucking consistant.

What's a Rogue, an F117?

I'd DF the little one in front of the Blackbird