What is Exalted?

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Assuming Creation hasn't been devoured by Oblivion or the Wyld, it hasn't been made into a new Hell, and it hasn't been saved from the Great Curse, what does it look like 105 years after the return of the Solar Exalted? What would you as a Storyteller implement?

Other urls found in this thread:

nobilis.me/quotes:on-lunar-barbarism
discord.gg/WzKNf6R
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4339473/a-way-to-roll-in-exalted-without-using-api-scripts-counting-certain-successes-twice/?pageforid=4339473#post-4339473
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1157324#post1157324
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As a Storyteller I would piss of as many people as possible. Not because I really want to ( not actually a complete truth; that is part of the reason. I also need to have some fun) but also because their goals don't have viable implementation.

Solar players will go a long way to destroy elements they find apprehensive. It will also help that they will be a special snowflake that is out there to get revenge against society. So expect gay, black slave woman that is out there to fight a good fight. They will abolish all the things they don't like without making a substitution.
"we said we abolished slavery. What else is there to do about it?"
Now imagine every Solar Circle behaving like that. Also not every Circle agrees with your party's ideas and morals. Let hilarity ensue.

I guess the problem with that is you've grouped all the solar players into intolerable jackasses.

Daily reminder that Lunars will never be not shit.

Lunars are only as shit as you make them user.

I've got some hope for the current edition's portrayal. Past experiences though agree with pic.

That would be the one yea.

The one keeping combat the same because "you should be encouraged to avoid combat".

Half the reason to want to play Exalted is to be Dante from Devil May Cry and engage in CUHRAYZEE action...

The true test of Vance will be the Lunar supplement.

Wrong game user. Combat should be a very serious thing! A last resort! The combat system should be clunky and unfriendly in order to reflect this!

I agree. Let's put combat charms into the game that are an investment of XP but strongly discourage their use. You have to have them to maintain the nuclear standoff but you don't get to use them, what do you think this is some kind of GAME?

So /exg/, what kind of evocation themes might an Orichalcum spear have? Kind of a broad question, I know, but I ask because the themes the book presents for Orichalcum artifacts are kind of broad themselves, at least compared to the Jade themes (which are what I've mostly used for artifacts so far), so I'm kind of left without a whole lot to go on.

I don't need specific evocations, just ideas for evocation themes. Like "channeling fire into speed", or "freezing the enemy to slow him down", things like that.

I'm looking forward to it, because literally no matter what their implementation is there will be massive flamewars about it I guarantee

Plus, when you're at rock bottom the only way is up.

This essentially sums up my optimism and curiosity. They won't be left with a 90% completed manuscript they have to wordscramble for legal reasons this time for Lunars.

I suppose the thing we should start asking is how much of Holden's old screed on Lunar themes is the team going to adhere to.

For reference: nobilis.me/quotes:on-lunar-barbarism

Where are Lunars in the schedule? The Onyxpath website says that its Arms->DB->Exigents->Realm, but wasn't that changed ages ago?

Lunars before exigents last I read. And who knows what other miscellaneous books are going to be put in there, like new setting books and some sorcery book somewhere

what said

They have shuffled it around in a fan-pleasing way to try and work up some enthusiasm. Probably a good idea.

WHO IS BEST YOZI?

YOU! YOU IS BEST YOZI!

Are Arms and Exigents getting homebrew guidelines, or will you need to make shit up based on the other examples in the book?

Last I've read arms will indeed have guidelines for designing evocation trees yourself. The whole point of exigents is to help you making charmsets, letting you make your own gods, demons, elementals, fair folk, still unpublished exalts, so on and so on. Lunars only got put up front because the log gap has let excitement slip and so they need to put them out to get interest back up

Hype has been a problem for a while, I think. We've not had anything to talk about for ages. Another teaser of Arms would have been nice; a full artefact, I mean, not a single, out of context page, but I think that it's redundant at this point as we'll be getting Arms Soon™ enough.

Yeah. It's even worse from our perspective since it's been three whole years since the first leak, when in reality its been half that long since the core book. Still a massive gap to be sure, but it's been even harder for the people who were around for the leak

Christ, has it really been that long? I remember when it was first posted here. I went afk for 30 min and the google doc was locked by the time I got back.

When did miracles come out?

As long as people can make waifus, it'll survive. Waifus can keep anything alive.

>What is Exalted?
Bad.

Good grief Holden is an immense faggot, I'm glad they dumped him like the hot garbage he is. Dude probably couldn't even figure out how to fap.

It's too late, though. The fans are gone and interest is pretty dead. Even considering Vance is the best writer the line has had, it's still not worth giving OPP money.

I'm glad I got my money back and I'm frankly stunned everyone didn't try.

Why did you censor things that aren't even there?

>tfw no lunar tiger waifu killing drunkenly

I feel like I should recognize this... Oh!

I think on 2nd thought I'd rather it be dead

Because of the implication.

C'mon user, theres plenty of Lunar waifu's to live for.

I don't know about you but I've run/played in about 5 games since the leak was first released.

>The fans are gone

We're still here. All, uh...21 of us, going by the count in the thread.

Don't forget the guys on the official forum. I mean, most of the time you probably should forget them, but they are definitely Exalted fans, and at last some of them are extremely unlikely to be found in this thread. Of course, most people I know who have played Exalted don't frequent any forum to discuss the game.

>Don't forget the guys on the official forum. I mean, most of the time you probably should forget them

Don't worry, I do forget them. Official forums are always cancerous ball sweat.

The Exalted Discord has 200+ active people and twice as many lurkers. It's one of the more active Discord servers I've seen.

And is it a total cesspool like the official forums?

Not really. There are some heated debates and dumb opinions, but it's overall easy-going and the mods are pretty chill. They recently added channels for nsfw art and meme shitposting like discord.gg/WzKNf6R

>discord.gg/WzKNf6R

>Looks at moderator list

Waste of time

Why's that?

At least one of the moderators is a toxic reject from other communities. How the fuck do they always end up in positions of authority in other places. FFS. What a waste.

I thought we're the toxic rejects from other communities.

There are matters of degree.

Don't forget Sufficient Velocity.

I heard one of the moderators is also an /exg/ regular who supposedly wrote the OP's description of "epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them". So there's that.

>toxic
Well go on, OP, who is it and why?

Who would that mod be? We're all anonymous here, no need to spare their feelings and hold back.

Give me ideas for manses and demesnes!

No, it's good.

I'm still trying to run a 3E game but the IRL friends I have in the area I'm in aren't into rpgs...

Yeah.

Hope the completely stagnant player base continues to, uh, yeah.

water manse, in the east, hidden under a fresh water spring, created by a twilight for their lunar who preferred aquatic forms. has a number of features that include giving individuals that are attuned and subattuned the ability to breathe in water while within the manse's area. also has a pedestal for a special flute that soothes water dwelling beasts and water elementals. it doesn't need to be there, but the idea of manses having special resting spots for the owner's artifacts always interested me.

... Lunar waterpark?

Tale as old as time: everyone wants to play Exalted but nobody wants to run it.

Wait, what is this, a Roll20 statistics thing?

That's not really what you should be taking away from the comparison.

The fact that Anima, Cyberpunk 2020(!), Fallout, and even Traveller are adding more games.

It's not "all" games, but it's representative.

I'd track down all the games on Q2 but honestly I'm not sure what that would add to the conversation.

The Orr Industry Report, which uses Roll20 as a barometer to gauge the health of games and the hobby as a whole.

(Good news: the hobby is growing!)

(Bad news: this does not include OPP's games.)

*None* of their games? Huh, I guess SJWs do ruin everything...

a personal lunar waterpark.

>Roll 20 statistics
>For a game who's rolling mechanic isn't even remotely well handled by the site
>Who has no use for battle mats since everything is handled in range bands
I think exalted hasn't grown much at all as well actually, but roll20 is a bad way of trying to show it

OPP stuff seems to be selling really well on Drivethru, which I guess is the only other indicator about the state of Exalted

There is actually a really good workaround for Roll20 for Ex3 dice that doesn't require the API.

app.roll20.net/forum/post/4339473/a-way-to-roll-in-exalted-without-using-api-scripts-counting-certain-successes-twice/?pageforid=4339473#post-4339473

Is there any way to actually see how well something is selling on drivethru? I mean like beside the medal thing

he's definitely talking about Lumi, the stupidest motherfucker alive.

There's a sales ranking on the front page. Exalted 3E is still in the top 50.

>stupidest motherfucker
Do tell more.

He's just obnoxious. He has paper-thin "sarcasm" that he uses to insult and degrade people, and he definitely loves the gold star because it gives people basically no room to talk back. That and he literally will not stop presenting his newest stupid exploit, over and over, ad nauseum, like a cat killing a bird and putting it in your bed.

Sounds like you're a little butthurt, user. Did he insult and degrade you?

No, but I've seen him do it to other people.

Yeah, but can we derive like numbers from that in any way?

Is he the one that came up with the exploit mentioned in the last thread?

was it some stupid abomination involving fate-shifting solar arete? if so, yes, and he hasn't shut up about it for days.

Sounds a lot more tolerable than OPP and RPG.net mods.

How did that build work again? I saw it, but didn't understand it.

say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens

Master Plan Meditation lets you use Stalking Shadow Spirit reflexively, and Stalking Shadow Spirit adds the successes to Stealth rolls after the roll has been made so it gets past charm dice caps. You use it with Blinding Battle Feint to join battle with Stealth and get the Stalking Shadow Spirit successes as bonus initiative. You can also use Perfect Shadow Stillness on both the Stalking Shadow Spirit and Blinding Battle Feint rolls to get insane amounts of Initiative. Fate-Shifting Solar Arete on either roll adds incredible amounts of extra successes.

no-one has time to go to scandinavia to kick the shit out of you, you scrawny fuck. go drown in a fjord

It doesn't work. The reasoning it works off of is that Stalking Shadow Spirit adds post-roll successes and is therefore non-charm, which uh. doesn't follow. It doesn't even remotely follow. The build would abuse that and master plan meditation to generate a huge non-charm die pool.

Are you sure? The entry in Miracles says

>As a side-note, all Charms that accrue successes for you to use later treat those as “non-Charm” successes unless otherwise stated.

So it's a super Join Battle roll that ends a battle on the first turn?

tell me your name instead of being an anonymous pussy then and I'll come to you.

It only "works" in the stupidest, most facile way possible, in that it makes no thematic sense, utterly breaks the game, and involves a combination of a ton of specific charms, combined in specific ways. It's a tedious edge case at best.

Don't forget how he picks people to be the subject of his new two minutes hate and then stalks their social media looking for embarrassing shit or dirty laundry to air so everyone else can laugh at them. He does that too.

Yes.

The charm chapter says that “unless specified to be non-Charm successes, treat each success added by a Charm as two dice for the purpose of dice-adding limitations.” The reasoning seems to be the clause in Stalking Shadow Spirit that says “The Solar is expressly allowed to use these successes after making the Stealth roll” and would mean that the dice cap has already been checked because the roll has resolved.

Kind of like the Southpaw Empress build made a shit ton of assumptions as well?

Wow, fucking really? Got links to him doing that o am I to take it on faith?

what part of master plan meditation allows one to use Stalking Shadow Spirit reflexively?

I don't have chat logs from like 2 years ago, no, but I remember him doing it like twice and threatening to do the same to someone who asked him to stop being an e-stalker.

It's under the special activation rules of the Charm. “By spending five points accrued by the Larceny Charm Master Plan Meditation (see Exalted, p. 318), this Charm may be used retroactively, as long as the Solar has the motes.”

Southpaw Empress got Hammer on Iron and Heaven Thunder Hammer nerfed, tho.

and what part of stalking shadow spirit allows master plan meditation on join battle?

Master Plan Meditation has indefinite duration. You have it active and can use it to Stalking Shadow Spirit patrol your current location retroactively, followed by the Blinding Battle Feint.

Even if it works, though I am not sure it does, it's situational and requires ten charms to work.

Does anyone have the KS Infernal Preview? I want to check it out to see what they are cutting

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1157324#post1157324

Lets assume that it does work; how do you counter it?

the duration isn't the issue. the issue is master plan meditation can only be used on certain valid actions. these actions are as follows

Valid actions include a scene spent: forging or counterfeiting; preparing an alibi; pursuing information about a person without using violence; obtaining blueprints to a location the Exalt plans to infiltrate; making a plan to enter and escape a dangerous location; plotting to confuse or undermine local law enforcement or criminal syndicates.

the important part is that these are scene long actions, and join battle is instant.

That's really sad. The whole "lifestyles and outlooks whose debauches and excesses rivals 80s hair band rock stars" angle they were going with sounded fuckin' rad.

Fight in places that the Solar couldn't have possibly scouted out beforehand, have charms that save your bacon like Octavian's The Tower Still Stands. Legendary Size blocks big initiative attacks too.

Master Plan Meditation itself can only be activated after you've spent a scene on one of those actions, after which you can roll for the points and use them for things like Flashing Ruse Prana cost: 0m, 0wp (7 points).

contingency points spent are used to improve the aspects of the plan, of which can only be the listed actions, none of which are join battle.

Remind me; would a clash attack such as Over and Under Method defeat this initial attack? I know already that Uncanny Shroud Defence will let you survive, but it's not great being brought down to 1HP on the first turn.

It's an ambush, so you need Omniscient Focus Attack. It's pretty impossible to beat the Stealth roll without a perfect effect.

The Solar is not using Master Plan Meditation to boost their Join Battle, they are using Stalking Shadow Spirit to know everything about the place they are in. The sidebar of the charm clarifies things further.

“This Charm models the Solar’s serious attention to detail and overqualification for mindgames. Each use should be depicted as the Lawgiver channeling a preternatural sense of preparedness and foresight and meditating on future plans to make her tactics flawless.

The duration of each listed contingency is one instant, unless stated otherwise. The Exalt must know the Charms enhanced by contingencies in order to benefit from them.”