/bgg/ Board Games General: Normie Edition

/bgg/ Board Games General: Normie Edition

Previous thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Let's talk about massively popular being different from good. How do you help friends who think Catan and Ticket to Ride are good games?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games/page/1?
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't have friends so it's not an issue.

I don't play with them.

>tfw you punch the eurokek in the face
>he doesn't punch back because eurokeks can't into interaction

>stay up all night
>think of perfect bgg frogpost
>wait all morning for bump limit
>new thread up
>GO GO GO
>mystipe a werd

good job m8, keep them coming really elevating the thread

Bärenpark is a great game.

Show them Carcassone

I had to wait one whole minute to remake a post, but you will be mad forever, my eurokek friend

>I have never seen BG so I'm a bit reclutant when it comes to buying games based on something I don't know, and 8minutes Empire is a bit too short (looking for at least 30m minimum games)
BSG is still a very good game of false coop with a traitor regardless of you having seen the series, having seen it just adds more fun (and arguably some stuff can be a bit cryptic when you don't get the background.
Also stating the obvious if you haven't played 8minutes empires:legends but the game can be much longer than the said 8 minutes. Typically, at 4 players, it's typically more 30min than 8. Though I'd say that the Legends one simply blows the standard version out of the water, there's really no reason not to take the Legends over the original, it's a much better and more satisfying game imho.

>meanwhile punching and shooting is the only thing burgerspiels can do

>leaving wargamers out of this
Fucking bullies

Good Real time boardgames?

I think you mean

>He doesn't punch back
>Instead he steals your girlfriend
>Plants drugs at your office so you get fired
>Calls in a terrorist tip so your home gets raided and your dog is shot
>Commits several high value thefts while framing you
>You have no alibi because you're a permanent shut-in now
>Your new best friend in prison is Tyrone AnusAnnihilator
>You end up commiting suicide

Euros do indirect interaction because they're not braindead burgertards.

As one of the lucky few to receive a core box early I thought I'd give you a mini review after 5 plays because as the title suggests this game for me hits every sweet spot on every level and then smothers it in custard.

Components: opening the box on this bohemeth oozes quality from the finely detailed map boards , which are as every good as the ones in conan , thick and sturdy .
When you first look at them it seems they have crammed a lot onto the boards but after adding the 3D terrain it all comes to life and is very impressive to look at.
The rules books are a pleasure to read and nothing like vanilla conan.
Everything you need to get playing that first game is all nicely explained in the getting started rule book.
The main rule book then explains the rules in more detail and I haven't once been sitting there not fully understanding a certain rule.
Which brings me onto the player aid ...damn I wish all player aids had where like this one with the added touch of rule page lookup numbers.
The dice are a nice size and great quality , the cards are a great size , none of them minis thankfully.
The hero , monster and god templates are reasonably thick and extremely well-laid out with all the details needed.
One minor issue for me is that the print is quite small under the plastic clips but that maybe more to do with my dodgey eyes then anything else.
Moving onto the minis , well the level of detail on the gods is freakin amazing and will be a pleasure to paint.
The other minis don't seem to be as quite finely detailed as the gods but are still top notch and look fantastic all lined up on the board , especially the monsters.

>1/2

Gameplay: Ah man , from the end of the first game , we couldn't wait to start playing again.
Everything flows nicely , no big downtimes when the other player is taking his turn , nothing is clunky , the battles are not overly fiddly and the exploding 5 mechanic is great.
The countless scenarios are really interesting that we have played so far , even the first tutorial scenario had some memorable showdowns.
The only tough thing at the start is remembering all the talents each unit has but the player aid really helps with this.
Sometimes when playing a new game for the first time there always seems to be a line of sight rule I'm not cool with or oh I wish they had done this differently but not here , everything hits that sweet spot and I cannot for the life of me find any issues.
My buddy came around last night and we played to the wee hours of the morning and as soon as we finished he asked if he could come around tomorrow so we could play again to which I replied "what time can you get here"!!!
I may seem to be gushing a little here but seriously I can't find fault with the game and I only have the core box , let alone the friggin onslaught of many more monsters and heros and gods to come with the kickstarter stuff.
If they don't release this at retail it will be such a shame as this game is that good.
Well I hope that has wet your appetite a little and I hope you all get your copies soon because I kinda predicting a lot more gushing reviews to come.
This is just a quick write up after only 5 plays.
I'm off to start painting ....only 2 more hours till my buddy gets here...lol.

>2/2

Nordic Ticket to Ride is legitimately a good game.

> t. totally not a shill

You're asking the wrong guy, I love TTR and I think Catan is alright

>somebody writes about liking something
>cry shill

Never change Veeky Forums.

There's liking something and then there's absolutely gushing about complete garbage like you're a jew getting paid by the letter.

Yeah I checked online and it's supposed to last about 20-30 minutes at most, I'd like to look for longer games since we're full of fast stuff at the moment and they can get boring after a while.
>I'm going to guess people don't like you in real life and you're not sure why
If I'm asking for board games it means I have at least a bunch of people putting up with me.
Also feel free to ignore me if all you can do is being an edgy kid.
I know reviews can't be trusted but as I said we're all new and those are the only feedback we have about games, for if I walk into a random store the seller will obviously tell me everything rocks and that we should buy the most expensive shit.
Hence why I read potential good titles and then ask for opinions here.
If you know better stuff I'm up for titles.
Alright I guess I'm gonna discard Catan for sure at this point.

You guys have a list of publishers to talk to to support boardgame events?

>"I called it complete garbage that means it is and you are stupid for liking it or a shill pretending to like it"
>throw in some casual anti-semitism

People like you are the reason why I hate the fact that board gaming has entered the mainstream as much as it has. It brings in many toxic people.

Boardgaming was always mainstream, you mongoloid.

Get out of your bubble more.

> →
Also I forgot to ask, is this Chaos in the old world better than Blood Rage?

No, you get out of your bubble more.

Yeah, ameritrash bullshit is only for manbabbies, that was true before and it's true now, so what?

Hey guys, I recently got suspended from 1 day from BGG because my post below was deemed to be "antagonizing" (that's the violation they claim I did).

>Most often, the ones(males and females) with such a narrow point of view are the ones complaining about that sort of thing as if there is something inherently wrong with unequal representation making it seem like equal representation were a sacred law that all must adhere to at all times.

Could you guys help me understand which part of my post made it antagonizing, and how could I have worded it better? I simply wanted to point out that "equal representation" isn't some kind of sacred law where if someone doesn't do it, he instantly becomes the devil.

>How do you help friends who think Catan and Ticket to Ride are good games?
I have the catan issue. please help give alternatives, seems like carcassone or century spice road can do the trick. ya?

Did you sit on a pointy miniature or something why are you so anathema to games with minis?

Millennium Blades

He's probably like pic related. A younger person who can't accept that there are people who like something he doesn't like and he can't take it so it manifests as hostile verbal attacks.

Russian Roulette, just have to solve the problem of dying when a player loses. The game loses all tension if someone doesn't die when he loses.

It's only my opinion but I do think so. Here's a kind of objective comparison.
CitOW works only really well for 4 people (playing with the expansion is a little bit crowded but bearable, playing with 3 is shit), blood rage can play anything from 3 to 5 and scales ok.
The general idea is the same, you'll be playing a dudes on the map game where the playing area progressively gets slower.
In Blood Rage this is predetermined. No matter what happens you'll play 3 rounds and each round one area will go away from the game. In CitOW this is more fluid... while the game in theory plays at max 7 rounds it can play out much more fast because one of the players gets his winning condition. The players themselves also control destroying the areas and it's not uncommon to see 3 regions fall in the final round of the game.
And that's only the most superficial differences. In CitOW you have 4 (5 with exp) wildly different gods to control, while in Blood Rage the differences only materialize during the game during the drafting.
Blood Rage has only one winning condition - 3 rounds and the person with max amount of VPs wins. CitOW has 2, you can either win by performing goals and advancing the threat dial, by collecting VPs. There's also an option to lose if the game goes for more than 7 rounds but that never happened to me.
Mechanically, Blood Rage has two phases: the drafting stage and then the playing stage where each people will try to control areas, or get VPs out of special cards they drafted.
In CitOW there's really one active phase where people go in turn to add miniatures to the map or cast spells on regions, after everybody finished the round will resolve with battles, corruption etc. Between rounds players can get upgrades if they advance their goals.
CitOW suffers from randomization more like my friend once said "I cannot play Khorne because the dice hate me", in Blood Rage the randomness is more manageable and only comes into play during the drafting phase

Both games suffer from the usual curse of non team-vs-team games with a lot of interaction i.e there's a lot of kingmaking. CitOW seems to be built with this in mind because all the other players need to actively play against Khorne (if they don't it's an automatic win for Khorne not questions about it).
The games also suffer from accidental imbalances. In the case of CitOW it's the event cards - some of them can make a player win or lose on their own. In Blood Rage this is mostly due to the cards - some cards are objectively more powerful than others and getting them as your first hand greatly increases your chance of winning .
You'll need to play a lot of games with the same people for both games to shine. In CitOW you really need to see and remember the spells other people have and in Blood Rage you need to see the combos people can spin up and know what cards to hunt for

I don't mind miniatures. I mind faggots who come here and shitpost on the boardgame board about toys.

Alright, I'm guessing no one else here has any idea how my post was antagonistic as well.

Thank you for your replies.
I may be interested, by the way you describe them.
Too bad Blood Rage is so expensive, I'll put it low in my list.

Captain Sonar
Space Cadets: Dice duel
2R1B

Some people think equality of outcome is good and equality of opportunity is bad, some of those people think opinions that disagree with theirs are antagonizing or worse, and some of THOSE people are apparently mods on BGG.
Let's not have a thread about it.

>bohemeth
Already off to a great start!
>weird, personal story that's simultaneously shilling and trying to convince us he's a legit person by going out of his way to mention a "friend"
>I kinda predicting a lot more gushing reviews to come.
The idiocy in grammar and content come full circle at the end. Stop shilling this game. If you enjoy it half as much as you pretend to you have no reason to make posts like this.

>about complete garbage

So you got your copy too?

>Some people think equality of outcome is good and equality of opportunity is bad
Call me stupid or whatever, but could you please clarify this?
>some of those people think opinions that disagree with theirs are antagonizing or worse, and some of THOSE people are apparently mods on BGG.
This is what I was afraid of. Even if I'm not actually insulting anyone, these mods can just deem my post antagonistic when I am just calling out the bullshit I see that I disagree with.
>Let's not have a thread about it.
Woah woah, I don't want to talk about this for a whole thread either. I just want suggestions on how to write to avoid this shit they're accusing me of while still being able to express my disagreement.

I have never seen someone be such a complete pussy about getting banned before. You must be a eurogamer. Don't let a little mod interaction get you down, sweetie.

Rolled 7, 12, 15, 13, 6, 15, 11, 14, 9, 5, 11, 3, 17, 6, 11, 3, 9, 13, 16, 13, 2, 11, 5 = 227 (23d17)

The part where the mood is a fucking SJW and lets memefag frog-poster shit up several threads but bans you.

Don't think it means you're not a bad person, you still are.

Wouldn't the fact that there are so many errors rather than a perfectly written post mean it's LESS likely that he's a shill?

I am not talking about this thread, I am talking about BoardGameGeek (BGG)

Jesus Christ guys, I don't care if I get banned on Veeky Forums.

Why the fuck would you care about that place?

>to write to avoid this shit they're accusing me

Just unbunch your panties and eat your bans like a good boy.

If you ran a company and wanted someone to come shill on Veeky Forums would you send your best?

Because when I express my opinion reasonably, I don't expect to suddenly get punished out of nowhere for it.

M O D S
O
D
S
There is no way in hell this poster is 18+

Again,
I'm not talking about Veeky Forums bans

> cares about getting banned on bgg.com
> doesn't care about getting banned on 4chink

can't imagine why I was confused

Welcome to the real world snowflake. Things aren't fair. Feel free to cry or cut yourself but don't come waste our time with your feelings.

The important thing is we don't keep clarifying and reclarifying what was essentially a completely moot point because we're not doing to talk about it for the whole thread. No one wants that.

Reply if you agree we should drop this topic on its head like a microcephaly baby.

>Things aren't fair
>I get moderated because some faggot got his feelings hurt when I called them out on trying to shove their "equal representation" bullshit onto yet another game

>go to liberal cesspool
>get surprised when they act like liberals
>throw a bitch fit about it and get banned
>surprised and decide to whine to Veeky Forums

I didn't get banned I just suspended from posting for a day, dumbass

Anyhow my point is, if things continue as they are, EVERY single new game entry where the character split isn't 50/50 male to female, there's going to be one whiny user who will make a thread and complain about it, as if in real life all gatherings or groupings of people are always 50/50 male and female. It's fucking annoying when you want to read up on a game and one of the threads on that game's page talks about such a stupid thing and almost isn't about the game at all.

Remember the part about not having a thread about it?

it is rather annoying to have to read incessant whining about something totally irrelevant and pointless that, well, you could otherwise just ignore.

THIS IS US NOT HAVING A WHOLE THREAD ABOUT IT HOW DO YOU LIKE IT

Except for the fact that some publishers and designers have been pressured into buying into that shit by the vocal minority deeming it a "huge" problem

>gets banned
>ban evades to complain about the social injustice of it all

reported

Honestly you are the problem here and if you don't understand why you're an idiot. Stop posting on that shit site if it bothers you. Stop reading their self righteous blog posts. It's not fucking hard and we don't care about that shit here. Talk about board games, user. What games do you like? Have you ever kickstarted a game? How was that experience for you?

>5-10 posts about a topic is now a thread

forgot to add "I'd love to ignore it all the time, except..." in the beginning of my post

it IS rather annoying to have to read incessant whining about something totally irrelevant and pointless that, well, you could otherwise just ignore.

I just love being able to get out all these old memes

>I'd love to ignore it
Then do it. Do you have so little self control? Are you unable to read something without replying if you disagree? Take a break from social media user.

I don't think I'll ever kickstart a game. Too much money upfront for what will surely be a mediocre or worse, shitty game, as I've seen from almost all Kickstarter games.

Last game I played recently was Bruxelles 1893. It was my copy but we played 5 players and it felt so long that I was worried that some of the other players weren't enjoying it as well. Any game that goes on for too long, sours people from playing it again even if it isn't really the best at that player count.

Alright, dont blame me when coincidentally every new game you buy suspiciously has a 50/50 split in female and male characters.without any kind of variation anymore.

Why would I care, though?

Why would I care about that? I can't imagine having so little going on in my life that I have time and energy to devote to thinking about shit like that.

because the next step is the government forcing everyone to be 50/50 split and you only get ONE BALL user. Only ONE BALL.

You do get a single boob though so it's not totally awful.

Really? My friends and I love long games (TI3, Forbidden Stars, COIN). We like dedicating a whole afternoon to a giant experience. Do you guys not like them cuz attention span or you prefer playing many short games or just some other reason?

Wow you're not even pretending to talk about anything relevant anymore.

So what game were you talking about when you got banned? Does the game look decent besides the sjw problem you had with it?

>Forbidden Stars
co-op shitter

it took you an hour to formulate that response?

I think is trying to make fun of 50/50 splits user. Poe's Law makes it hard to tell, though.

we don't care
we're not buying your shitty game

This guy is not me. This was my last reply I dropped the topic already

I was trying to make fun of spurious doomsday predictions but what can you do.

you can't silly billy, it's only a ks exclusive and you didn't back

What topic?

Escape: Curse of the Temple

Anyone know what size cards sleeves I need to get to sleeve Tiny Epic Quest?

I really want to get this game. Are any of the expansions worth getting?

Got some mean comments but it's okay. I painted a few more units this evening and wanted to show them off. :)
I have painted the monsters normally but have dry brushed the gods in gold , heroes in silver and troops in bronze for now for easy identification. Still have plenty to go but what do you guys think so far?

>take a bunch of uninteresting models
>paint them all varying shades of brown
Great work user! You somehow made this dumpsterfire of a game even less interesting than the designers could!

> --- "I must hurry to troll the next /bgg/
> OMG! A typo! I've self-triggered mah autism.
> No one will notice if I fix it...

KEK! Nice catch user. A photo is worth 1000 troll burns. Pic related. Troll-kun and her pony tails.

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games/page/1?
bookmark this

The link for the card sleeve size info should be in the pastebin already too. (Not that anyone reads the pastebin info or anything...)

Love the Hydra, and Cerberus. The size of the Hydra would be awesome next to my old Ral Partha D&D minis. "Run Away! Run Away!" :)

The gold on the gods look pretty good. They actually look metal.

what is bgg's collective thought on Agricola

Not as good as it's made out to be.

No penis occupation.

Stone Age is pretty good, it's just that /bgg/ has shitty trolls who just go "DURR THIS THING IS BAD CAUSE I SAY SO" every now and then. I wouldn't say it's for everyone (I don't think it's as newb-friendly as some people think, but that's just me), so maybe read some reviews/watch gameplay videos before you decide to take the plunge.

personally, i think caverna is much better.

It does have a learning curve, but I still think it's a good game to use for people interested in worker placement games. You won't be awesome as a new player, but even losing can still be a fun experience with this game. You can also try it online. IIRC it's available on Board Game Arena.