Advent

What's wrong with Adventurer guilds? I always see people hating them for no reason other than being an overused trope. I think it makes sense to regulate quests and make adventurers are kept in line.

They're not objectively bad but I'm not a fan of them, having an organization that's basically Player Character Employment Agency is just too gamey.

Was wondering when this thread would pop up again.

They're dumb as hell.

If I'm a farmer and there are Orcs stealing my chickens, I'm gonna go to my local lord for assistance. Assuming he gives a shit (and he should, or he won't be a lord for long), he'll probably send a handful of knights to go and deal with the Orcs. Or he'll send his Sheriffs, or he'll hire some mercenaries, or he'll appeal to his overlord for assistance.

Every problem that "Adventurers" could possibly solve, already has a real-world, historical solution. Adventurers serve no purpose.

Furthermore, the idea of adventure being a commodity makes my fucking skin crawl.

Guilds are a group a trades men. Adventuring is not a trade.

Also if there was an adventuring guild most tombs, caves, ruins what ever would be cleared.

I like using “adventurer” as a more polite word for mercenary in my games.

But adventurers basically are mercenaries.

An adventurer guild could also have people scouting for ventures that are potentially profitable but that don't have a specific person requesting help (a ruined fort full of goblins needs picking over but the goblins are mostly not hassling anyone, rumors of buried treasure, acquiring generally valuable materials from monster parts for sale, etc.).

Depending on the type of world it is there's every reason to form an adventurer guild.

Then they wouldn't be called "adventurers". They'd be called mercenaries. Because that's what they are.

They exist only because "Guild" was mistranslated in Japanese. As adventuring is not a trade, it would not have a guild.

Yet in the real world, janitors are called "custodial engineers" now. Jobs often get euphemistic titles to make them seem better than they are.

It cheapens the very idea of adventure from a unique, purposeful, and exciting journey into a string of unrelated routine tasks done for money.

This. Adventuring for money doesn't even work as a motivation past level one in D&Dland, because a second level character already has more than enough to retire and live comfortably for the rest of his life.

Yeah because rich people never want to get richer.

Are you dense?

Rich people want to get richer, sure, but not in ways that put their lives in danger. Adventuring is an exceedingly dangerous occupation, if people just wanted money they'd do it long enough to get enough money to invest in something else instead of continuing to do a job where there's a very high chance of death or worse every time they go to work.

Rich assholes go on thrillseeking relatively dangerous holidays all the time.

A rich adventurer continuing to adventure for yet greater treasures or riches (including titles and princesses and shit) would have money as an incentive and be drowning in puss. It'd be the equivalent of being a rockstar.

Literally fucking where are janitors called custodial engineers Lmao

There's nothing more American than giving workers a more impressive title in an attempt to improve morale without actually paying them a decent wage or anything.

>"Become an adventurer! It's challenging, outdoors work, and you meet lots of interesting people!"

Versus

>"Become a mercenary! You get to kill people for money! Sometimes you're even justified!"

Why do quests need to be regulated?

>Why do quests need to be regulated?
The author couldn't be bothered to write an actual coherent story, so a regulatory body is needed to provide opportunities for violence while maintaining the experience-treadmill, all without killing the PCs.

Because tabletop games are not MMOs

>I think it makes sense to regulate quests and make adventurers are kept in line.

If adventurers are such a nuisance they need regulation but are weak enough where they can be regulated in the first place, it makes far more sense if the lawful government takes up that task through the conventional methods. You know, instead of delegating that role to an artificial XP Factory which solely exists because the GM lacks creativity.